Jump to content
IGNORED

HQ Player


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

Please, do try turning off the Air driver, and seeing what appears in your HQP settings. My setup is different, I use a MicroRendu between my server and the Dev, so what is seen is the mR, but please do try and see if the Dev is seen directly, without Air working.

 

That likely works around the issue, because it is totally different driver...

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska Would your HQPlayer OS image run and work on a 2011 Mac Mini?

 

I think it did last time I tested (I have one 2011 Mac Mini in storage). But Apple keyboard didn't work last time I checked. But OTOH, that is not very important detail, but just that you know in case it doesn't work for you either. Regular PC USB keyboard worked fine though.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Miska said:

 

I think it did last time I tested (I have one 2011 Mac Mini in storage). But Apple keyboard didn't work last time I checked. But OTOH, that is not very important detail, but just that you know in case it doesn't work for you either. Regular PC USB keyboard worked fine though.

 

thanks Miska. I think it would work with the Yggy as that can only accept up to 24/192 anyway and due to that isn't a difficult upsampling load for the old i5.

No electron left behind...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

thanks Miska. I think it would work with the Yggy as that can only accept up to 24/192 anyway and due to that isn't a difficult upsampling load for the old i5.

 

Yeah, 192k and even more works fine on something like UP Gateway (Atom x5-Z8350).

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miska said:

 

If you get some notable differences, then there is something wrong in your test setup.

 

LOL.

 

Jussi refuses to entertain the "A novel way to massively improve the SQ..." invasion.

 

The man is consistent. You must respect that. He posted similar in that other thread too.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

I am used to enjoying convolution filters with roon (no HQP) 

I see HQP also has an option to use it, but I opened up the convolution settings and my God. It's complicated. It wants all sorts of things... I only have a zipped up file... How do I do this? 

 

Haha

 

What is in the zip file? 

 

32-bit (or 64) floating point mono WAV files? That's what HQP needs.

 

If you share exactly what you have and how you made those it can be easier to help get into HQP

 

Without that info, can be hard to help

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

 

Haha

 

What is in the zip file? 

 

32-bit (or 64) floating point mono WAV files? That's what HQP needs.

 

If you share exactly what you have and how you made those it can be easier to help get into HQP

 

Without that info, can be hard to help

I got a better idea. As the files I have are just *ok* as I jsut started using convolution files. 

Do you know of a source that I can try many types to see which I like? And use with hqp

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Miska said:
10 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

Does Roon do anything to the file or the stream before it hands it to HQplayer?

 

Depends on your settings. But at least it is decoded. So you can play MP3, AAC or what ever Roon supports, but HQPlayer doesn't.

 

Your reply implies that there are some instances where Roon passes through the file completely untouched but I wasn't aware of that. That is part of the reason why I have stopped using Roon and instead use HQPDcontrol to play my locally stored files through HQ Player. Does Roon ever 'pass through' files without altering them in any way?

Innuos Statement and Antipodes K50 - Sablon 2020 USB - MSCALER (Sean Jacobs DC4 power) - WAVE Storm bnc - DAVE (Sean Jacobs external DC4 power)

Pass Labs XA60.8 power amps - Spendor SP200 speakers

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miska said:

All the formats work fine here, but you could enable and check HQPlayer log to see why it is not working.

Here the log after the scan of ext4 formatted hdd.

HQPlayer Embedded 4.21.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

As reported there are just flac files on the hdd but they are not viewable in the library

96F39384-9B81-49FA-AAAA-F8B3EDC5C829.jpeg

Stefano

 

My audio system

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Your reply implies that there are some instances where Roon passes through the file completely untouched but I wasn't aware of that. That is part of the reason why I have stopped using Roon and instead use HQPDcontrol to play my locally stored files through HQ Player. Does Roon ever 'pass through' files without altering them in any way?

 

Depends if you consider decoding as altering. But bare undecoded files, never.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miska said:
5 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Your reply implies that there are some instances where Roon passes through the file completely untouched but I wasn't aware of that. That is part of the reason why I have stopped using Roon and instead use HQPDcontrol to play my locally stored files through HQ Player. Does Roon ever 'pass through' files without altering them in any way?

 

Depends if you consider decoding as altering. But bare undecoded files, never.

 

However, there is a SQ difference when using HQP alone or via Roon!
without using any Roon settings.
it's tiny, but I prefer HQP alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Miska,

 

re reports that one line of code change between versions has different sounding output. Could it be the compiler introduced more changes to the binaries (perhaps some optimisation) than expected? Expanding the two install exe's and binary file compare would reveal that?

Ah, but they don't realise, it's right before their eyes, life is for livin', right now before you die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blue2 said:

re reports that one line of code change between versions has different sounding output. Could it be the compiler introduced more changes to the binaries (perhaps some optimisation) than expected? Expanding the two install exe's and binary file compare would reveal that?

 

Unlikely, since it is not in the relevant code path.

 

In any case, that would be out of my control and irrelevant anyway for NAA output.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miska said:

 

No, it is not...

For PCM > PCM, wouldn't setting:

  • Filter 1x to desired filter, say sinc-L, and
  • Filter Nx to None

achieve this?

 

Ok, this will not work if you want to exclude 48 kHz, but I'm guessing the poster meant 1FS inputs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

On a related subject, I was wondering @miska, if you could introduce the possibility of choosing different output sampling bit rate/limits, depending on the original sample rate?

 

I've said earlier that I don't want any rate tables, because there's no limited set of rates. And it adds a lot of configuration and testing complexity. Many people already complain that the settings are complex. I want to be very careful introducing new settings.

 

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

For example, lets say a system can only cope with sinc-L for 44.1 original material at a limit of 44.1x128. So for Nx you choose poly-sinc-mqa-mp; but you don't want Nx material limited to 44.1x128, since with poly-sinc-mqa-mp you can go at least 44.1x256.

 

Solution is to buy a faster computer, or GPU to help... ;) This is a problem that will get fixed by time (Moore's law).

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...