IGNORED

HQ Player

Just now, giordy60 said:

you can do it from tablet or cell. by installing HQPDcontrol and enabling the icon on the hqplayer desktop.

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

Is it possible to make HQPlayer server run in the background without showing its interface. Something like a Roon server. Being able to control HQPlayer Embedded via web page is a great idea, wondering if it's possible to do the same thing on HQPlayer 4 server. I use Roon to stream music to HQPlayer, I can do most controls via my phone/tablet, but I have to go to the computer to change HQPlayer's configuration, a web interface would be super helpful. I've been wanting it for years. Could you make it happen please?

That is what the HQPlayer Embedded is for. Computers with graphical desktop (macOS and Windows) get of course graphical applications as well...

But if we look more into this, why would you frequently need to change HQPlayer configuration?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That is what the HQPlayer Embedded is for. Computers with graphical desktop (macOS and Windows) get of course graphical applications as well...

But if we look more into this, why would you frequently need to change HQPlayer configuration?

Hi Miska,

I guess my previous reply was quite confusing. The reason I want a web interface and have HQPlayer running in the background is because I use the HQPlayer interface very rarely. I usually just start it up, let it run and use Roon to control everything. I prefer not having a interface that I barely used always displays on my desktop. when I really need to use it, I can just open a simple web page and modify the configuration. 

I knew about HQPlayer embedded, but it seems only support Linux system and it will bind with a computer fingerprint. I'm using windows system and I would like to keep using the software after changing to a new computer or modifying the hardware. So that is not the best option for me.

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

I prefer not having a interface that I barely used always displays on my desktop.

You can of course minimize it and then it is not visible, although running.

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

The reason I want a web interface and have HQPlayer running in the background is because I use the HQPlayer interface very rarely.

If you use it rarely, is it a problem to access the desktop GUI? What would the web interface be needed for if it is just sitting there unused for most of the time?

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

I knew about HQPlayer embedded, but it seems only support Linux system and it will bind with a computer fingerprint.

Yes, because it is designed to be part of streamer firmware. That's why I'm also providing full reference firmware (HQPlayer OS) as well.

So essentially at the moment you need to choose between these two types of products, geared for somewhat different use cases.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I have HQP Desktop, but I can not figure out how I can run Qobuz through it... Would you give more detailed info? Thank you 🙂

My info was based only on this:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=1088876
Perhaps Miska could elaborate what for devices he had in mind.

I tried the HQPlayer digital input only with a virtual audio cable (to play from other apps on the same computer to HQPlayer).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I have HQP Desktop, but I can not figure out how I can run Qobuz through it... Would you give more detailed info? Thank you 🙂

Detailed and comprehensive infos would be welcome here too. I tried using output from Qobuz player into hqplayer input (via loopback virtual audio cable audio device), based on the experiences shared in this thread. It works but it's a pain, cumbersome, unstable and more there's the input frequency i often have to change when a new file is playing. Really not useable.

So i think surely i'm missing something... Can we have precise and clear directions on how to do that using virtual audio cable (or other softwares, but no additional hardware) on a single Windows machine? Is the frequency changing thing fixable in any way?

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can of course minimize it and then it is not visible, although running.

My thought is since the HQPlayer 4 uses a server/client architecture, would it be a good idea to make the UI available only at the client side and leave only the DSP tasks to the server? 

This way if people who use Roon as the front end like me, could make server running in the background all the time without seeing the interface. Not saying the current software is not usable, I'm just suggesting a possible design to make my experience even better. Would such design make the implementation harder?

My DAC sounds better playing PCM, I only need a little bit resource for upsampling, so I do other stuff with my computer too. That's why I don't want the HQPlayer interface, even it could be minimized.

56 minutes ago, ccc888 said:

My thought is since the HQPlayer 4 uses a server/client architecture, would it be a good idea to make the UI available only at the client side and leave only the DSP tasks to the server? 

This way if people who use Roon as the front end like me, could make server running in the background all the time without seeing the interface. Not saying the current software is not usable, I'm just suggesting a possible design to make my experience even better. Would such design make the implementation harder?

My DAC sounds better playing PCM, I only need a little bit resource for upsampling, so I do other stuff with my computer too. That's why I don't want the HQPlayer interface, even it could be minimized.

Not everyone uses Roon.

25 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Not everyone uses Roon.

Correct, but make server headless doesn't affect people who don't use Roon, HQPlayer can still be used normally with the client interface. All I ask is to have an option to make the interface disappear when I don't need it. I don't think it's a inconsiderate request for people who want to use HQPlayer otherwise.

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

Correct, but make server headless doesn't affect people who don't use Roon, HQPlayer can still be used normally with the client interface. All I ask is to have an option to make the interface disappear when I don't need it. I don't think it's a inconsiderate request for people who want to use HQPlayer otherwise.

I just minimize it on my Mac server. 

2 minutes ago, Luca72c said:

Can we have precise and clear directions on how to do that using a loopback audio device on Windows machines? Is the frequency changing thing fixable in any way?

Windows audio API doesn't support slaving sampling rate. ASIO does though, but many drivers don't. USB Audio Class has similar limitation, so you need a side channel for this information.

I have implemented such feature for RME ADI-2 (Pro) driver on Linux, and this is feature of the ADI-2 firmware.

Pretty flexible way is to have an input side NAA with the USB Audio Class 2 support, where NAA appears as a USB DAC.

2 hours ago, ccc888 said:

I'm just suggesting a possible design to make my experience even better.

I don't think having to use web browser to access configuration interface on the same machine makes experience better. And many people use HQPlayer with drag-and-drop, and for that use case there's the basic interface on the server itself.

1 hour ago, ccc888 said:

All I ask is to have an option to make the interface disappear when I don't need it.

You have the minimize-button for that purpose...

2 hours ago, ccc888 said:

Would such design make the implementation harder?

Yes it would. And it would be also significant effort. If we guesstimate it would take three man-months to do, the virtual development cost would be around 60500€.

I consider this time better spent on some other kind of features.

7 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

I see HQP Embedded is now supported on 20.04 LTS.

Does this means 18.04 LTS development stops, so no more HQPe updates for Bionic?

Yes, it now moves over to 20.04 LTS, so now it would be good time to do "sudo do-release-upgrade" on 18.04 Ubuntu systems... ;)

Previous release was cross-tested across both OS versions so this is smooth transition to the new OS. I have also made kernels, etc available for Focal.

With updated OS and hqplayerd, I'm getting very stable (less variation over time) CPU load figures on i7-8086K doing poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC to DSD256. Two high load cores stick to stable 86% and rest core pairs are 12% and 5%. This means the high core loads dropped by couple percent.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, it now moves over to 20.04 LTS, so now it would be good time to do "sudo do-release-upgrade" on 18.04 Ubuntu systems... ;)

Previous release was cross-tested across both OS versions so this is smooth transition to the new OS. I have also made kernels, etc available for Focal.

With updated OS and hqplayerd, I'm getting very stable (less variation over time) CPU load figures on i7-8086K doing poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC to DSD256. Two high load cores stick to stable 86% and rest core pairs are 12% and 5%. This means the high core loads dropped by couple percent.

Thanks. For USB Audio Class input with HQPe, do we still need to use your custom kernel?

And is that feature just as stable with HQP OS? In your release notes you mention for HQP OS it is 'preliminary'.

lol managed to reduce HQplayer cpu usage on 3700x by around 40-50% disabling reserved cores via environment variable with 4.7.2 ASDM7EC + Closed-form-16M with no dropouts, i think there's really something HQplayer does not like about ryzen 2's architecture, as the CPU load, and thread allocations now when on linux is exactly the same when HQplayer on windows is left to manage it's own thread allocations.  usually with everything on auto it uses 4 cores, and it's RNG each time i start the application  if it maxes out the threads or not which leads to drop-outs.

Hopefully my 5900x will arrive, and maybe the behavioral issues will be different, maybe a 5800x would have been better though due to it having only one 8 core CCX instead of 6+6 of 5900x.

image.png.11ef8d27a41b76bfde0d25c3802352e0.png

8 hours ago, ccc888 said:

Not everyone uses Client. I prefer desktop as I do for last ten years or so.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Windows audio API doesn't support slaving sampling rate. ASIO does though, but many drivers don't. USB Audio Class has similar limitation, so you need a side channel for this information.

I have implemented such feature for RME ADI-2 (Pro) driver on Linux, and this is feature of the ADI-2 firmware.

Pretty flexible way is to have an input side NAA with the USB Audio Class 2 support, where NAA appears as a USB DAC.

What about Mac? Is there a way to send Qobuz through HQP Desktop + NAA? Thank you.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm not a PC programmer so i'm just guessing, but Qobuz (and others) windows player surely passes frequency info to the audio driver and frequency specification probably get passed to the physical audio device too, so how it is done? There is a sort of "frequency sensing"? Isn't it possible to implement something like this in Hqplayer?

More, Roon seems to pass frequency infos to Hqplayer too, so there is a way (or many) that can be implemented.

Taking another way, maybe Hqplayer could incorporate a sort of virtual driver that makes it appear as an audio device to the system, like virtual audio cable does. For example, AcourateConvolver seems to do something like that, so it should be possible...

Sorry to insist, but i believe that being able to play audio from various software PC sources like Qobuz, Youtube, Kodi, etc... via Hqplayer in a stable and easily useable way (=without having to use an input hardware/NAA, separate PC for the player, and so on) would be a great and appreciated plus for many users!

19 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Also, just wanted to share. I downloaded latest Embedded image to use NAA from it (I prefer it rather that single NAA image) and it seems to me it adds some extra digital sharpness to the sound. Returned to 4.19.1, it sounds more natural to my ears.

Interesting, because nothing changed in terms of NAA... Only HQPlayer got updated.