IGNORED

HQ Player

This made an interesting read! Although I think my entire network is full of 'bad' cables. hmmm. I am in the UK, so I get a ground wire via the plug. My patch box is earthed. The Core, switch, NAA (RPI4) are all run from one PSU, a HD Plex.

I might have a route through my wire box to see what is available on hand. If I was to go more UTP in the future, would there be issues of cross-talk? I try and keep cables tidy, but its inevitably a losing battle.

18 minutes ago, rossco said:

I might have a route through my wire box to see what is available on hand. If I was to go more UTP in the future, would there be issues of cross-talk? I try and keep cables tidy, but its inevitably a losing battle.

No, the signaling is differential and any cross-talk or other such would be common mode signal that doesn't affect the differential signaling. And due to differential signaling and the twisted pair cable design, the amount of radiated power is really small.

I've been at many corporate patch rooms where there are stacks of 48-port switches and hundreds of bundled UTP cables running from switches to cable carriers above lowered ceiling throughout the office. With cable lengths in tens of meters and probably hundreds of km of cable. And without issues...

But just in case, try to keep USB, ethernet and analog audio cables at least 20 mm apart.

In addition, modern self respecting switches and network adapters have support for 802.3az (EEE) standard with cable length detection. They can adjust to lower transmit powers for shorter cable runs, without having to blast at the power needed for 200m cable lengths. In addition, they can go into low power idle mode when there is no traffic and thus becoming even more quiet. For this reason it is my recommendation to use this feature as well, although it is not functionally mandatory.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Ok, at the bottom of my wire box, and I do mean the bottom, were a bunch of Belkin Cat6 UTP 24AWG wires! Like I had saved them for later!!

I think the majority of my cables currently installed in my house are FTP, which I gather is UTP with a foil jacket but they all have metal connectors aswell. I can easily swap them over. I also have a few Audioquest cables, but not sure what they are, I need to check a bit more, but they defintely have metal connectors. I suppose I can compare before and after.

Untitled.jpg

1 hour ago, rossco said:

I am in the UK, so I get a ground wire via the plug.

Note that some computers, like at least Mac Mini's (at leas the one's I've had) are floating ones. They use the small two pin power connector. Many laptop chargers (but not all) are also similar. While desktop PC's and for example iMac use 3-pin grounded power connector.

It is even more mixed with audio equipment. Many of my amplifiers have 3-pin connection while some have only 2-pin IEC power (triangular connector, but just two pins).

Most problematic and relatively common setup I've seen is a TV connected to cable TV network and HDMI cable going to a PC. Pretty much all TV's are floating and have the antenna/cable coax connector ground connected to chassis. This same ground is also connected to the HDMI connector chassis. Not a problem with most BluRay players and such since they are usually also floating ones. But when you connect a PC with 3-pin mains connector, it's chassis is connected to mains ground. Now you suddenly form a ground path:

Cable network -> TV -> HDMI -> Computer -> Mains

I have many times seen 115 V AC potential between cable network ground and local mains ground... Sometimes sparks flying from the ground connections when you plugin connector in such setup. Like electrostatic discharge...  This ground connection in turn also tends to create audible hum on connected audio equipment. Just an example of extreme problem case with ground connections.

14 minutes ago, rossco said:

Quick question, can you get CAT7 UTP patch cables?

No, AFAIK, not ones that would be standard compliant. So if you want to use 10 Gbps ethernet and have galvanic isolation you definitely want to use fiber instead. Although you can use CAT6 UTP for shorter distances of 10 Gbps ethernet (up to 55m instead of 100m).

1 hour ago, rossco said:

Ok, at the bottom of my wire box, and I do mean the bottom, were a bunch of Belkin Cat6 UTP 24AWG wires! Like I had saved them for later!!

I think the majority of my cables currently installed in my house are FTP, which I gather is UTP with a foil jacket but they all have metal connectors aswell. I can easily swap them over. I also have a few Audioquest cables, but not sure what they are, I need to check a bit more, but they defintely have metal connectors. I suppose I can compare before and after.

Untitled.jpg

Just in case, metal covers on some connectors can be easily removed. For example, I easily did it on Supra СAT8. The sound has changed for the better, however, the subsequent replacing Supra CAT8 with Meicord UTP cables has led to a further improvement. Also, another STP cable was used far upstream, for connection to the wi-fi router, and even its replacement with the UTP gave a positive result.

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, AFAIK, not ones that would be standard compliant. So if you want to use 10 Gbps ethernet and have galvanic isolation you definitely want to use fiber instead. Although you can use CAT6 UTP for shorter distances of 10 Gbps ethernet (up to 55m instead of 100m).

I am only talking domestic application. I think some black CAT6 UTP cables with plastic connectors, of varying lengths, might be worth buying then. I have had a quick look, but there is quite a lot of variability. Any thoughts on quality makes?

15 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Just in case, metal covers on some connectors can be easily removed. For example, I easily did it on Supra СAT8. The sound has changed for the better, however, the subsequent replacing Supra CAT8 with Meicord UTP cables has led to a further improvement. Also, another STP cable was used far upstream, for connection to the wi-fi router, and even its replacement with the UTP gave a positive result.

Missed this response intially, I will have a look at Meicord.

3 minutes ago, rossco said:

I am only talking domestic application. I think some black CAT6 UTP cables with plastic connectors, of varying lengths, might be worth buying then. I have had a quick look, but there is quite a lot of variability. Any thoughts on quality makes?

I have various different brands etc, depending what I want at a particular time. There's plenty of choice for the ordinary ones, but for some cases I'm using thin round or flat-ribbon type cables when the device in question is small (like microRendu) to avoid cable pulling the device around etc.

Here's one example (sorry for the page in Finnish):

https://www.deltaco.fi/tuoteryhmät/kaapelit-ja-sovittimet/verkkokaapelit/cat6a/patch-u-utp/2m/UUTP-1313

https://www.deltaco.fi/tuoteryhmät/kaapelit-ja-sovittimet/verkkokaapelit/cat6a/patch-u-utp/2m/GAM-036

https://www.deltaco.fi/tuoteryhmät/verkkotuotteet/verkkokaapelit/UUTP-2057

These are 500 MHz CAT6a good for 10 Gbps.

I'm pretty sure something like Belkin is fine.

hi Jussi
a question ...
have you never thought about implementing audio streaming (Qobuz-tidal) on Hqplayer desktop?
there are players (audirvana and Jriver) that have this function, it would be interesting to be able to directly manage the streaming from HQPlayer desktop.
thanks for the work you do!

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

4 hours ago, giordy60 said:

hi Jussi
a question ...
have you never thought about implementing audio streaming (Qobuz-tidal) on Hqplayer desktop?
there are players (audirvana and Jriver) that have this function, it would be interesting to be able to directly manage the streaming from HQPlayer desktop.
thanks for the work you do!

+1

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

But so far likely same as Tidal, so either through Roon or digital inputs.

what do you mean by digital inputs?
can you be more precise?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Likely because I'm not huge fan of MQA.

is that a problem?
can technically switch from HQP?
(there are MQA filters on HQP)
it will be up to the user to use this format or not
as for pcm or dsd

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

6 minutes ago, bogi said:

See here

can it be done only with HQPembedded?
i already bought a mac license
then one for windows, I just miss embedded ..... so I have all three.

sistema:

14 minutes ago, bogi said:

In the Desktop version: File -> Settings -> Input device settings - similar to Output device settings.

I didn't try it but it is here ...

great Bogi! 👌

now only a connection diagram is missing

sistema:

On 4/27/2019 at 3:50 AM, Miska said:

The new Client application will grow further over time. Technically it can be now built for tablet OS as well. For phones it's design is too big though.

Hi Miska,

Is it possible to make HQPlayer server run in the background without showing its interface. Something like a Roon server. Being able to control HQPlayer Embedded via web page is a great idea, wondering if it's possible to do the same thing on HQPlayer 4 server. I use Roon to stream music to HQPlayer, I can do most controls via my phone/tablet, but I have to go to the computer to change HQPlayer's configuration, a web interface would be super helpful. I've been wanting it for years. Could you make it happen please?

you can do it from tablet or cell. by installing HQPDcontrol and enabling the icon on the hqplayer desktop.

sistema: