IGNORED

HQ Player

10 minutes ago, EFIN said:

@Miska

It looks like that. I dont blame you of anything, Im just little bit confused of this. 

cida.PNG

..And thanks for your comments.

OK, good, this shows HQPlayer being active for CUDA (C for compute, C+G for graphics and possibly compute too). Memory usage and loads look normal. For the case where GPU temp hangs around 59 degrees, the "GPU-Util" figure is likely also higher.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, EFIN said:

Everything is stable & "quiet". Do you think there is some problem with my setup or something? Because before update it was very hard with this laptop to run xtrs without 2-s. 

d.PNG

No, if it works, no reason to worry. I think only glitch is that Windows is not displaying GPU loads accurately, but nvidia-smi will give a definitive answer. You can compare how much nvidia-smi diverges from the figures shown by Windows. They should be the same, but it may not be the case.

I use Roon to send music to devices throughout the house.  I recently bought HQP Player Desktop and connected up my main listening area Dac with HQP NAA (using a mini PC).

Now I'd like to setup my 2nd listening area with a 2nd HQP NAA using a 2nd mini PC.

I know I can go into HQP Desktop and switch the NAA each time I want to listen to music in the 2nd listening area, but that isn't wife friendly.  Is there a way of using a 2nd NAA without having to go to HQP Desktop each time.  It would be great to be able to just setup another audio source within roon.  That would allow all switching of NAA and music to be done in Roon.

10 minutes ago, dmccombs said:

I use Roon to send music to devices throughout the house.  I recently bought HQP Player Desktop and connected up my main listening area Dac with HQP NAA (using a mini PC).

Now I'd like to setup my 2nd listening area with a 2nd HQP NAA using a 2nd mini PC.

I know I can go into HQP Desktop and switch the NAA each time I want to listen to music in the 2nd listening area, but that isn't wife friendly.  Is there a way of using a 2nd NAA without having to go to HQP Desktop each time.  It would be great to be able to just setup another audio source within roon.  That would allow all switching of NAA and music to be done in Roon.

Since NAA, or any other HQPlayer output is not visible to Roon, it cannot be switched from Roon. If you have two HQPlayer instances, then you can switch from Roon, since these are two distinct outputs for Roon.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Since NAA, or any other HQPlayer output is not visible to Roon, it cannot be switched from Roon. If you have two HQPlayer instances, then you can switch from Roon, since these are two distinct outputs for Roon.

Would this require 2 HQP Desktop Licenses, or can I run both instances with one license?

On 9/2/2020 at 11:33 PM, Miska said:

"Other interesting part is that 3090 has enough RAM that it should be able to run for example sinc-L filter to DSD512 rates, at price similar to 2080Ti (which cannot do it due to running out of RAM), but much lower price than TITAN RTX which had the same amount of RAM."

And if it is a RTX 3080 with 20 GB of ram (which should be launched in the near future) will it be enough for example sinc-L filter to DSD512 rates? And with RTX 3070 Ti with 16GB of memory ?

Wich filter for PCM equivalebt to ADSM7 for DSD ?

I explain: I have now stabilized my old i5.

I can listen DSD64 with HAF convolution processed by Roon and sinc-L with ADSM7 filters.
It's very good on my RME.

On the other hand, if I want to switch the PCM (44.1) to DSD64 .. impossible with sinc-l .. I have blanks every 2 sec.
So I switch PCMs to 705, sinc-L and LNS5 ..
but it's missing a little something ..
Is it because of the original file format (PCM not DSD) ? or can I try something else (instead of LNS5?).

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

1 hour ago, hpsxrb said:

And if it is a RTX 3080 with 20 GB of ram (which should be launched in the near future) will it be enough for example sinc-L filter to DSD512 rates? And with RTX 3070 Ti with 16GB of memory ?

20 GB is likely enough, 16 GB is maybe on the edge, but could work. Exact figures remain to be seen because the amount of RAM spent depends on the GPU architecture too.

30 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

Wich filter for PCM equivalebt to ADSM7 for DSD ?

I explain: I have now stabilized my old i5.

I can listen DSD64 with HAF convolution processed by Roon and sinc-L with ADSM7 filters.
It's very good on my RME.

On the other hand, if I want to switch the PCM (44.1) to DSD64 .. impossible with sinc-l .. I have blanks every 2 sec.
So I switch PCMs to 705, sinc-L and LNS5 ..
but it's missing a little something ..
Is it because of the original file format (PCM not DSD) ? or can I try something else (instead of LNS5?).

There is really nothing like the modulators for PCM. But noise shapers like NS5, NS9 and LNS15 are closest equivalent of modulators.

@Miska Hi, Miska!

Just to understand better what's going on in HQP, what's the difference in approach between closed-form (or closed-form-M, the basics should be same, shouldn't they?) and poly-sinc-ext2? Does any of them work as á la Chord (R2R ladder)? I love them both, just want to understand better what's behind the logic of both...

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

Just to understand better what's going on in HQP, what's the difference in approach between closed-form (or closed-form-M, the basics should be same, shouldn't they?) and poly-sinc-ext2?

Difference between closed-form and closed-form-M is number of "filter taps", although this filter is operationally different so the concept of taps is very different from let's say sinc-M.

poly-sinc-ext2 is entirely different kind of filter, it is an apodizing polyphase construct and can convert practically from any rate to any other rate.

53 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

Does any of them work as á la Chord (R2R ladder)?

sinc-M is maybe closest to what Chord M-Scaler does.

These are all related to digital filters used to increase sampling rate. Not directly related to a conversion stage like R2R ladder. Chord is a delta-sigma DAC and is not using R2R ladder, but instead array of more or less equally weighted elements.

37 minutes ago, Miska said:

Difference between closed-form and closed-form-M is number of "filter taps", although this filter is operationally different so the concept of taps is very different from let's say sinc-M.

poly-sinc-ext2 is entirely different kind of filter, it is an apodizing polyphase construct and can convert practically from any rate to any other rate.

sinc-M is maybe closest to what Chord M-Scaler does.

These are all related to digital filters used to increase sampling rate. Not directly related to a conversion stage like R2R ladder. Chord is a delta-sigma DAC and is not using R2R ladder, but instead array of more or less equally weighted elements.

Thanks, Miska.

I'm underestanding more. As to being "better transients" or "better space", any pointers? Thanks, regards,

L

4 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

I'm underestanding more. As to being "better transients" or "better space", any pointers? Thanks, regards,

It is up to personal preferences and type of music being listened.

Linear phase filters are usually good for classical music and other material recorded with few microphones (not mixed) in real acoustics. This type of music doesn't typically have much transients either.

Minimum phase filters can be good for multi-mic mixed studio productions like rock, that don't really have any space information but have a lot of transients, like drum kits and such.

It is not black and white though, but could work as a rough guidance.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is up to personal preferences and type of music being listened.

Linear phase filters are usually good for classical music and other material recorded with few microphones (not mixed) in real acoustics. This type of music doesn't typically have much transients either.

Minimum phase filters can be good for multi-mic mixed studio productions like rock, that don't really have any space information but have a lot of transients, like drum kits and such.

It is not black and white though, but could work as a rough guidance.

Good, Understood. Now, how would you consider these filters (meaning closed-form ones and poly-sinc-ext2) in relation to transients or space? Because they seem to be a good compromise or "middle solution"...

Thanks, sorry for the many questions...

23 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

Good, Understood. Now, how would you consider these filters (meaning closed-form ones and poly-sinc-ext2) in relation to transients or space? Because they seem to be a good compromise or "middle solution"...

These are linear-phase filters, although poly-sinc-ext2 in my opinion sounds very good on transients too.

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the downloads

hqplayer-embedded-4.19.1-x64.7z

and

hqplayer-embedded-4.19.1-x64.7z.asc

?

All the other software packages have been always signed with my cryptographic signature, but these not. Although these are provided from my server over TLS (https) connection, I got request to include signatures for the images.

Those .asc files are GnuPG cryptographic signature files for the image, in case you want to verify the file is actually from me.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

All the other software packages have been always signed with my cryptographic signature, but these not. Although these are provided from my server over TLS (https) connection, I got request to include signatures for the images.

Those .asc files are GnuPG cryptographic signature files for the image, in case you want to verify the file is actually from me.

Thanks.