IGNORED

HQ Player

19 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, I mean to skip Roon altogether...

I have to admit, this really shocked me. Why you say I don't have to use Roon?

For years I have been slowly building my setup, and based on my personal experiences I establish some fixed points that I try to bring to the best compromise between quality, functionality and price.

The comfort offered by Roon is unmatched at the moment. I've been using it for years, and a lot of the music I listen to is also on Tidal

So... why?????

I'd rather go with the new 30-series ones, such as 3070.

I would prefer it too, but isn't it a "bit" excessive to do "only" PCM 768Khz Sinc-L LNS-15 ??
Now my i7-3770k, works very well at 3% on average, and I have to add only the convolution, you recommended me the 1660 Super.

My dac is based on the PCM 1704 and I am not interested in the DSD, considering the cost of having a suitable PC.
In the future who knows ....

Note that CUDA offload is not supported on HQPlayer OS. Only on Ubuntu. That is one reason I recommended to consider Ubuntu Server if you use a NAA.

Why your HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA offload? I will ask for support on Gentoo Player, if possible.

I have also several servers running Ubuntu Server that are used without a NAA, directly connected to DACs. But especially in such case I'd recommend using my custom kernel build.

NAA is a fixed point for me, minimal and built with a linear power supply.

Because shield spoils the galvanic isolation Ethernet would otherwise provide... UTP doesn't have a shield and thus everything is transformer isolated unless you use PoE.

OK.

2 hours ago, madman73 said:

I have to admit, this really shocked me. Why you say I don't have to use Roon?

It is slimmer then, no Roon as a data proxy, playing direct from files, or direct from Tidal. With HQPlayer Embedded you can use for example mConnect Player (HD) app to play Tidal directly. That is what I use mostly these days. The difference is bigger for local files. Much more difference than something like ramdisk. At least worth trying.

I would prefer it too, but isn't it a "bit" excessive to do "only" PCM 768Khz Sinc-L LNS-15 ??

For that purpose yes, but more future proof if you want to do something else in future. Compared to older models, the power / performance ratio of 3070 is supposed to be very good. Remains to be seen when it becomes available.

Now my i7-3770k, works very well at 3% on average, and I have to add only the convolution, you recommended me the 1660 Super.

You may manage just fine without GPU at all. But since new models come out around same price the older models have, but much more computing power, it makes sense to future proof as much as possible if the cost difference is minimal. Of course if you get 1660 Super for really cheap, then it may be worth considering still.

In the future who knows ....

Yes, that's why...

Why your HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA offload?

I support CUDA on platforms Nvidia also supports, otherwise it is asking for trouble in long term. But main reason is that HQPlayer OS uses realtime kernel and Nvidia driver is not compatible with realtime kernel, only with a lowlatency kernel, which I'm already providing for Ubuntu.

In addition, the hardware used to run HQPlayer OS usually doesn't have Nvidia GPU. HQPlayer OS is primarily for cases where you connect DAC directly to HQPlayer server without a NAA. That's reason why it is so slim, cut down and optimized OS built specifically for running HQPlayer and nothing else.

When big machine with Nvidia card is used to run HQPlayer, it is more flexible to use Ubuntu Server and then possibly use NAA.

NAA is a fixed point for me, minimal and built with a linear power supply.

This allows you to use what ever kind of monster machine and OS for HQPlayer without having to worry about sound quality impact or something like loud cooling fans.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

In addition, the hardware used to run HQPlayer OS usually doesn't have Nvidia GPU. HQPlayer OS is primarily for cases where you connect DAC directly to HQPlayer server without a NAA. That's reason why it is so slim, cut down and optimized OS built specifically for running HQPlayer and nothing else.

When big machine with Nvidia card is used to run HQPlayer, it is more flexible to use Ubuntu Server and then possibly use NAA.

That is a shame, I would prefer not having to install Linux on my main desktop machine that runs Windows. It is much easier to update HQPlayer just flashing the HQPlayer OS to a USB drive and boot from it.

That requires no Linux knowledge🙂

But what if you do not need the flexibility of running Ubuntu server and only use Linux to run HQPlayer?

I got embedded for the web UI that I can run from a tablet do not want a computer in my living room where my HIfi sytem is.

8 hours ago, SunYang said:

If HQ Player is stopped playing music track, even my sensitive full range OB speakers are deathly quiet. Digital output of Amanero card is 010101010101...

It is very quiet likely because your DAC detects the simple silence pattern and engages output mute. DAC chips typically do this.

8 hours ago, SunYang said:

But if player is only paused or is quiet passage in the track, I can hear some noise from distance about 0.5 m from speaker. If I checked DSD data in this time by scope, signal is more chaotic then only continuous changings 0 1. Different modulators change style of this strange noise. What is reason for this behaviour?

It is playing real silence, instead of simple pattern. It should look like totally random, but having frequency distribution of the modulator. This is to avoid silence detection and slight pop/click glitch at the transition point due to mute being engaged/disengaged. Especially in case there is even slightest DC offset from the analog stages. If you can hear the hiss, DAC is not doing sufficient filtering and there is some intermodulation down to audio band. Because the modulator noise floor itself within audio band, even at DSD64 rates, is below -160 dB or so.

My DAC is discrete DSD DAC (principally similar your DSC1) and muting circuit is not installed yet. Transformer symmetrical output reduces potential DC offset.
Also without DAC on the Amanero digital output STOP produce 010101010101010101010... but PAUSE something like 01011010010101001100. Near zero but with little chaotic fluctuances. Different modulators change little bit pattern of this digital noise. I am using Windows HQ Player Desktop.

45 minutes ago, SunYang said:

My DAC is discrete DSD DAC (principally similar your DSC1) and muting circuit is not installed yet. Transformer symmetrical output reduces potential DC offset.
Also without DAC on the Amanero digital output STOP produce 010101010101010101010... but PAUSE something like 01011010010101001100. Near zero but with little chaotic fluctuances. Different modulators change little bit pattern of this digital noise. I am using Windows HQ Player Desktop.

These two are typical simple silence patterns. In latest HQPlayer Desktop you can enable this from settings. When it comes from a modulator it should look pretty different without a recognizable pattern, because the two first ones encode a high frequency tone.

Transformer is a different case, my original implementation uses 4th order Sallen-Key active analog low-pass filter and cable capacitance compensated output buffer.

If you need to be close to hear the noise, it is low level, but it is still ntermodulation leakage from somewhere.

DSD256 with ASDM7EC should be pretty optimal.

5 minutes ago, SunYang said:

Thanks for explanation. If I need some control computer/phone + power computing PC + NAA how many licences of HQPlayer I should buy? Desktop or Embedded?

Any number of NAAs you may need are covered by the license of HQPlayer using it. Any number of HQPlayer Clients needed to control HQPlayer are covered by the license of HQPlayer being controlled. So essentially you need licenses for the number of HQPlayer Desktop or Embedded (server) instances running.

Control applications from other parties have their own license terms.

3 hours ago, mfalcon said:

Has anyone updated to 4.7 on Ubuntu?  I’m trying to figure which nvidia driver I should be looking for and if I have to upgrade cuda it is it part of the driver upgrade.  I have a 2080ti if that matters.

thanks

You need driver version 450.51 or newer for CUDA to work on 4.7.x.

@Miska Just upgraded my DAC from (HoloSpring+Singxer SU-1)  to Rockna WaveDream with WaveDream NET; I try to reconfigure the HQPlayer to (attached screenshot); sometime may lost the single and no sound for few seconds; but I have no issue with DSD 512. Could you please give some advise?

i7-8700 >> PPA Switch V2 >> Rockna WaveDream NET NNA >> DAC

1134286674_Screenshot2020-09-20at7_04_03AM.thumb.png.df09f546e12f896cc528a04e3793e1df.png

i7-8700 >>> Network >>> Pi4 >>> Singxer - SU1

1463028692_Screenshot2020-09-20at7_15_31AM.png.8f4b2aea59f35ec6e757f13afa1f5922.png

3 hours ago, Miska said:

In preparation for some new future hardware support, there's now experimental build with alternative optimizations for various algorithms, available here. Otherwise, apart from some small bug fixes it is essentially same as 4.7.1.

Interesting  what's  different in this build?

7 hours ago, Miska said:

In preparation for some new future hardware support, there's now experimental build with alternative optimizations for various algorithms, available here. Otherwise, apart from some small bug fixes it is essentially same as 4.7.1.

How this build would be opened in Mac OS? Thank you.

7 hours ago, Yviena said:

Interesting  what's  different in this build?

Just partially different implementation for some algorithms like FIR, IIR, convolution, sinc- filters etc. Should be compared to 4.7.1 since these are otherwise the same. Could be better, same or worse in performance. What I've tested it doesn't make big difference in performance. So going forward this is what upcoming releases would have.

@Jacky820 - you can't have the input device and output device be the same.  Have you tried removing the input device?

sources:  intel nuc8i7 (audiolinux, roon core) (server) | simaudio moon mind 2 (renderer)
headphone rig:  chord qutest > bryston bha-1 > audeze lcd-3
main rig:  chord dave > parasound jc5 > kef reference 1
1 hour ago, EFIN said:

With convolution enabled headphones same. Peaks are just when I change settings. And I can see that my gpu memory is used now much more than before. 

Looks good, I just think the Windows GPU load figure is not showing everything. If you start "nvidia-smi -l 10" on command prompt and check there what it says about the load?