IGNORED

HQ Player

Thanks so much for the answers. This really helps my understanding.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Damage depends Limiter hits. You'd want limiter count to stay at 0 at all times.

One additional question here. What does it mean when Limited = 0 but the volume knob turns red? Is that just a warning, or is it actual clipping that does not get counted in the Limited count?

1 hour ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Why not Ubuntu Studio 20.04.1?

I thought HQPlayer only supports Ubuntu up to 18.04? (seem to recall Jussi holds off until Nvidia has drivers available for latest LTS release).

Do you use Ubuntu Studio 20.04 w/ HQPlayer 4.7?  Is so, what advantages do you see over the garden variety Ubuntu? (I had tried Studio 15.04 release some time ago & didn't see much advantage over Ubuntu 15.04 for my system).

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

One additional question here. What does it mean when Limited = 0 but the volume knob turns red? Is that just a warning, or is it actual clipping that does not get counted in the Limited count?

It is warning about too high volume setting. -1 turns it yellow and 0 or higher turns it red to warn you about very likely inter-sample overs.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 9/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, bobflood said:

I decided to go with ASDM7EC/DSD128 and use 4.7. I now have use of some non-2s filters, rate family conversion and channel balance which I did not have before. A side benefit is that the modulator cores (0&3) are running just below 100% and my core temps are in a safer zone. I really do not notice much if any difference in SQ and I have the added flexibility. Maybe the non-2s filters are compensating, who knows. My machine was always on the edge with ASDM7EC/DSD256. I have a passively cooled Streamcom case with ASUS Z370I MB and i5 8400 CPU. When I replace it down the line I will go to some water cooled monster like Chris (@computeraudiophile) has built but for now this will have to do.

Oh well, back to 4.6. I missed the sound of ASDM7EC/DSD256/poly-sinc lp 2s; it is better in every way but it takes a while to appreciate what is missing when it is gone.

5 hours ago, brother love said:

I thought HQPlayer only supports Ubuntu up to 18.04? (seem to recall Jussi holds off until Nvidia has drivers available for latest LTS release).

Do you use Ubuntu Studio 20.04 w/ HQPlayer 4.7?  Is so, what advantages do you see over the garden variety Ubuntu? (I had tried Studio 15.04 release some time ago & didn't see much advantage over Ubuntu 15.04 for my system).

Ubuntu Studio is recommended by Jussi as optimized version, check the HQPlayer page!

I use Mac OS X only up to DSD256, Ubuntu Studio is only for I get DSD512 and it sounds better then Mac OS and Windows.

I run Ubuntu and Win Pro only with HQPlayer as Parallels virtual machines and I get good performance with both of them.

BTW, I'm listen much more PCM with Sinc-L and LNS15 up to 768k than DSD512 lately, since 90% of my library is PCM Flac...

I know that my problem is not Hqp but I am having trouble maintaining connectivity in my system. I run HQP through Naa to my router (brand new) to a fiber optic system then back to Ethernet then to a switch then to the Ethergen then to a MicroRendu then usb to my dac. When working it sounds wonderful. But since it does not  work often lately I have gone directly from pc to usb to usb Regen to dac. 

With myformer connection path path I am getting connection interruption if I can boot it up at all. When booting I turn on the dac first then Hqp and the opposite direction when shutting down. I try rebooting ether Regen, microRendu, pc, and even the router. But more often then not it will not boot. 

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm listen much more PCM with Sinc-L and LNS15 up to 768k than DSD512 lately, since 90% of my library is PCM Flac...

What kind of DAC do you have?

DAC is the one that should define which output format is optimal, source content type doesn't matter for the output format.

Oppo Sonica DAC with ES9038PRO SABRE, PCM up to 768 kHz 32-bit and DSD up to 48x DSD512!

That dac is a sleeper. I heard it with mods that Dan Wright (modwright) did and it blew my mind. I should have grabbed it

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

That dac is a sleeper. I heard it with mods that Dan Wright (modwright) did and it blew my mind. I should have grabbed it

It is so good, up to date and was so cheap that Oppo closed its door!
Dan Wright mod was 3 times the price of the DAC...

I got so many sonic upgrades with Jussi filters, that I never thought in spend that money.

7 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Oppo Sonica DAC with ES9038PRO SABRE, PCM up to 768 kHz 32-bit and DSD up to 48x DSD512!

Jussi previously suggested that with ESS sabre ASDM5EC may actually be better than ASDM7EC, if I recall correctly. I am using it quite happily with my Matrix Audio Abre DAC.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

With my system (now a bit dated...) that you can see in signature (Intel quad core i7-3770k and nVIDIA Geforce gtx 660 Ti on pc server), with version 4.6.0 I can use CUDA offload without any problems. Instead with the new version 4.7.0 if I leave CUDA offload enabled, the playback start in the HQP mask, but no sound is played from the dac. Of course I upgraded the video card drivers to the latest available version, and I deleted the previous version of HQP before installing the new one. My nVIDIA card has 3.0 Compute Capability, 2GB memory and its seems upgraded to CUDA 11.

nVIDIA Geforce gtx 660 Ti - 07.09.2020.jpg

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

Is the "Pseudo-Multibit ASDM7EC" modulator an option in the menu or a change to the ASDM7EC modulator itself? @Miska

I'm using a Holo Audio May but cannot see any new options I don't think?
(I'm using SMS200 Ultra as an endpoint, does the DAC have to be connected directly?)

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

13 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Is the "Pseudo-Multibit ASDM7EC" modulator an option in the menu or a change to the ASDM7EC modulator itself? @Miska

I'm using a Holo Audio May but cannot see any new options I don't think?
(I'm using SMS200 Ultra as an endpoint, does the DAC have to be connected directly?)

It is listed as "AMSDM7EC 512+fs", last item on the modulator list.

1 hour ago, kings_audio said:

ScreenShot_20200908024653.png

Thank you, I had not read this part of the home page, but only the manual in pdf, which evidently is not up to date, because it still mentions a compute capability 3.0

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

4 hours ago, Miska said:

It is listed as "AMSDM7EC 512+fs", last item on the modulator list.

Ah thank you!

Could you elaborate a bit on what "pseudo-multibit" means? How does this modulator differ from the standard ASDM7EC etc?
Thank you so much!

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

Ah thank you!

Could you elaborate a bit on what "pseudo-multibit" means? How does this modulator differ from the standard ASDM7EC etc?
Thank you so much!

Right now there is no hardware that can run this modulator at DSD 512. There is a non-EC version that you can run at 512. I asked the same question and did not get an answer.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Right now there is no hardware that can run this modulator at DSD 512. There is a non-EC version that you can run at 512. I asked the same question and did not get an answer.

Not realtime, but it could be run with HQPlayer Pro 

5 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

If the DAC is not DSD512, so AMSDM7EC 512+fs is hidden, am I right? 

Choices are not hidden, but there are some rules about allowed output rates. Rules allow these to be used at minimum DSD256, but it is certainly not recommended especially for DACs that have gentle conversion filters (for example ESS).

On 6/9/2020 at 5:22 PM, MemoryPlayer said:

I agree....
I'm listening in pcm with upsampling at 1.4 and 1.5 mhz and I find it more natural and pleasant to listen.
poly-sinc-xtr-mp + LNS15 👍

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub