IGNORED

HQ Player

6 hours ago, bobflood said:

I am getting drop outs using 4.7 with ASDM7EC@256. OS is Win 10. Rolled back to 4.6 and all is OK again.

58 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Drop outs with 4.7 not 4.6 with same settings

@Miska Three people have now reported failures. I have an i9-9900K with 4.2GHz overclocking & hyperthreading with DSD 256 / ASDM7EC. I would therefore like to save myself the stress of reinstalling V 4.7. Unless you need assistance. Good luck troubleshooting.👍

34 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

@Miska Three people have now reported failures. I have an i9-9900K with 4.2GHz overclocking & hyperthreading with DSD 256 / ASDM7EC. I would therefore like to save myself the stress of reinstalling V 4.7. Unless you need assistance. Good luck troubleshooting.👍

All is fine here, no troubles with 4.7.0 build 🙂

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

All is fine here, no troubles with 4.7.0 build

Maybe it's a problem with DSD 256 / ASDM7EC. Which CPU/GPU and format do you play?

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

Maybe it's a problem with DSD 256 / ASDM7EC. Which CPU/GPU and format do you play?

I've tested DSD256 with ASDM7EC on five machines. One is i7-8086K with HQPlayer Embedded for upcoming release.

i9-9900K on iMac and i9-9900KS (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard) on my Windows computer. Both with standard settings and no overclocking or anything. Windows machine with "Load optimized defaults" in BIOS, except XMP1 memory profile and silent fan profiles. Stock Windows 10 with latest updates, no "tuning", High Performance power profile. Windows machine has RTX2080Ti, but with/without GPU offload doesn't change the result.

Another Windows machine is i9-10900K on Gigabyte Z490 VISION-D motherboard. Also "Load optimized defaults", XMP1 memory profile, stock Windows 10 only change after installation is to enable Ultimate Performance power profile which is also selected.

And then of course the Xeon W-2245 workstation (HP Z4 G4) with Ubuntu Studio and my custom kernel.

If you have any changes to BIOS settings different from the BIOS "optimized defaults" and selecting XMP1 memory profile. Or any modifications to stock Windows 10 (with some "optimizer" application or similar), I would look into those as possible source...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

48 minutes ago, Miska said:

I've tested DSD256 with ASDM7EC on five machines.

I reinstalled HQPlayer Desktop Server (no client) 4.7.0. Before that I uninstalled 4.6.0. The dropouts persist every 10-20 seconds. The core load seems to be concentrated on two cores less than optimally. That was much better before.

spacer.png

I'm having trouble generating the log file at the moment. Of course, I checked the log file under Settings before playing. I stop HQPlayer = no log file can be seen. I quit HQPlayer and restart = no log file to be seen? I may have sabotaged the generation by shutting down services. 🤣 Or am I missing a key?

39349607ei.png

I've installed CUDA 11 and HQP Desktop 4.7 this morning on my i9700K based Windows machine with BIOS defaulted. 16gb RAM, using either SINC L or Sinc S @ ASDM7EC/256fs. I have a 2080ti GPU, Multicore DSP Greyed, CUDA Offload ticked, Adaptive Rate ticked. I use NAA via IPv6 backend, just to complete the picture.

I get a brief drop out every 5 - 10 seconds, only tried with one redbook rip.

Reverting to Desktop 4.6 and the dropouts disappear.

Hello,

I’m a newbie with HQPlayer with Roon and I’m searching advices for HQPlayer settings.

I’m stuck with PCM 192, my setup is quite old : MacBook Pro 2013 i7 3.1 / 16Gb RAM / 1Tb SSD (Roon Core + HQPlayer Desktop) -> Weiss INT203 (Firewire) -> Hegel HD20 on Coax.1 -> Nagra PSA Amp (XLR) -> Egglestonworks Isabel Signature.

For now, I’m mainly using Qobuz HiRes streamed by Daphile, good player but a bit bright for my ears and fatiging on vocals (esses). 

Do you think default settings are fine or could you give me some specific advices for my setup? I’m confused with all these filters and options.

Thanks for your help!

Fred from France.

Fred (Toulouse, France)

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I reinstalled HQPlayer Desktop Server (no client) 4.7.0. Before that I uninstalled 4.6.0. The dropouts persist every 10-20 seconds. The core load seems to be concentrated on two cores less than optimally. That was much better before.

spacer.png

The behavior looks correct for stereo output. But I wonder why CPU clock is only at 4.18 GHz and not higher. Turbo should boost the two high loaded cores to about 5 GHz since the other cores are not loaded much.

I'm having trouble generating the log file at the moment. Of course, I checked the log file under Settings before playing. I stop HQPlayer = no log file can be seen. I quit HQPlayer and restart = no log file to be seen? I may have sabotaged the generation by shutting down services. 🤣 Or am I missing a key?

39349607ei.png

Strange, especially if it still succeeds saving settings. Log and settings file are written in a similar way.

QPlayer Desktop Server 4.6.0 with a significantly better distribution of the core load.

39349630ol.png

This actually looks a bit wrong, the load figure of the new one is more correct.

3 hours ago, fredg_31 said:

I’m stuck with PCM 192, my setup is quite old : MacBook Pro 2013 i7 3.1 / 16Gb RAM / 1Tb SSD (Roon Core + HQPlayer Desktop) -> Weiss INT203 (Firewire) -> Hegel HD20 on Coax.1 -> Nagra PSA Amp (XLR) -> Egglestonworks Isabel Signature.

For now, I’m mainly using Qobuz HiRes streamed by Daphile, good player but a bit bright for my ears and fatiging on vocals (esses). 

Do you think default settings are fine or could you give me some specific advices for my setup? I’m confused with all these filters and options.

poly-sinc-ext2 filter and TPDF dither should give pretty good results. You could also try poly-sinc-short-mp filter.

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

But I wonder why CPU clock is only at 4.18 GHz and not higher. Turbo should boost the two high loaded cores to about 5 GHz since the other cores are not loaded much.

Maybe that's the problem. Audio PC crazy people like me set a fixed clock for the CPU cores. 😄

In my case the multiplier in BIOS is 42 Core all. The purpose of this setting is to prevent the CPU frequency from fluctuating. In my experience, this improves the sound.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

This actually looks a bit wrong, the load figure of the new one is more correct.

I beg to differ. Isn't it better to load all cores more evenly than to load a few cores to the maximum? Powerful Audio PCs benefit from having large power reserves. If a few cores run up to the stop, it also affects the life of these cores in my opinion. The CPU gets stressed and so does the sound.

48 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I beg to differ. Isn't it better to load all cores more evenly than to load a few cores to the maximum?

Only if the work can be parallelized such way. Otherwise it means that OS is throwing same workload between cores which has extra migration cost (it is not free of cost to move a thread between cores). This is why HQPlayer attempts to nail specific work to specific cores.

50 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

If a few cores run up to the stop, it also affects the life of these cores in my opinion.

No it doesn't. It allows Turbo to boost clocks. Some AMD CPU's take this even further by having "favored cores" where some cores are able to perform better than some others.

52 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

The CPU gets stressed and so does the sound.

CPU gets more stressed when the same work is thrown around constantly, since it involves extra work to do. The code itself executes same instructions always. It has nothing to do with sound, same values come out of the computations.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

Maybe that's the problem. Audio PC crazy people like me set a fixed clock for the CPU cores. 😄

In my case the multiplier in BIOS is 42 Core all. The purpose of this setting is to prevent the CPU frequency from fluctuating. In my experience, this improves the sound.

Cost is that performance suffers so much that you get dropouts...

While you guys bicker, I am just going to stay on 4.6 until this is resolved (if ever). The 4.7 update did not add anything that I needed and 4.6 works flawlessly on my machine. I am on the edge of what my machine can do with 4.6. Using 4.6, I can run any 2s filter and ASDM7EC (without rate family conversion) but even a non 2s filter or rate family conversion would lead to drop-outs. Maybe in the future when I get a new machine I will be able to continue the upgrade path. Fortunately I am very happy with how 4.6 works and sounds.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:43 PM, Yviena said:

If it's  like the other EC modulators then it's  impossible currently to use it with DSD512

Biggest hope for the EC modulators is that some new CPU model will have low enough cross-core communication cost that running HQPlayer with "Multicore DSP" set to fully enabled will make it possible. From computational perspective it should work already, but the communication cost increases overhead enough that I have not seen it working yet.

Let's see how it goes with the AMD's Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000-series).

Jussi, first of all I would like to compliment the HQPlayer. The regular free updates are also exceptional and not a matter of course. Thanks a lot for this.

I don't want to argue. The forum also serves as customer feedback and I would like to advertise that I can also participate in future updates with a fixed clock frequency. My arguments:

1. I may not be the right yardstick. But many use AudiophilOptimizer and also follow some recommendations from it. For example:

On 5/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, AudioPhil said:

You can find the Computer Audio Best Practices Guide here: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/computer_audio_best_practices_guide.pdf

You can experiment with different speeds of your CPU and or RAM frequencies, as long as you use a fixed value (do not use "auto"). 

2. Unfortunately, your requirement is no longer valid? In my case, all cores run significantly above this at 4.2GHz.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Miska said:

Rough figure for Intel CPUs is around 4 GHz now. But it needs only two cores running at such clocks, other cores can usually run at lower clocks.

3. If I have counted correctly, there are dropouts with 4 users. These are the ones who wrote here.

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

Cost is that performance suffers so much that you get dropouts...

But OK. I keep it like @bobflood and stick with 4.6.0. Still, I would be very sorry if I didn't attend future updates. 

I have an i7-7700K Windows 10 system. This is the first time I've used ASDM7EC since I just upgraded from an old version of HQPlayer 3. It cut out every 10 seconds or so at DSD256. I figured it was because my CPU is passively cooled and I have noted in the past that the passive cooling isn't enough to keep 7700K from throttling under load. I had no idea this was a common problem with 4.7.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Biggest hope for the EC modulators is that some new CPU model will have low enough cross-core communication cost that running HQPlayer with "Multicore DSP" set to fully enabled will make it possible. From computational perspective it should work already, but the communication cost increases overhead enough that I have not seen it working yet.

Let's see how it goes with the AMD's Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000-series).

Wouldn't  a new DSD protocol that is capable of directly sending 2-6 bits to the dac chip/resistor stage also be another way for better sound quality.

Interestingly  AKM has  separated the dac IC, and modulator in 4498+4191, and increased the upsampling from 8x to 256x

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Note that you don't need to install anything CUDA related. Only latest regular Nvidia display drivers.

Thanks for the pointer. Uninstalled all the Cuda guff and just update the drivers. Make no differential, still getting regularly brief interruptions at 256Fs. Dropping to 128Fs, all is good.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

poly-sinc-ext2 filter and TPDF dither should give pretty good results. You could also try poly-sinc-short-mp filter.

Thanks Miska, I’m listening « Trio in Tokyo » with these settings (ext2 / TPDF 44.1->192), relaxing sound, perhaps a bit too much, or I need to forget Daphile sound :).

I’ll give a try to mp filter later.

Fred (Toulouse, France)

1 hour ago, Yviena said:

Wouldn't  a new DSD protocol that is capable of directly sending 2-6 bits to the dac chip/resistor stage also be another way for better sound quality.

Interestingly  AKM has  separated the dac IC, and modulator in 4498+4191, and increased the upsampling from 8x to 256x

6 bit DSD sounds like PCM lite to me.

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

I have an i7-7700K Windows 10 system. This is the first time I've used ASDM7EC since I just upgraded from an old version of HQPlayer 3. It cut out every 10 seconds or so at DSD256. I figured it was because my CPU is passively cooled and I have noted in the past that the passive cooling isn't enough to keep 7700K from throttling under load. I had no idea this was a common problem with 4.7.

Houston, We have a problem.