IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I think the HQP filters and modulators require more computing power than the one in Roon.  This could be the cause of the dropouts.  Did you try running the -2s filters or...?

I tried multiple settings using minimal computing power. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least my iMacs use flow control by default if the switch supports it. Linux computers too, as long as the hardware supports it.

Then flow control shouldn’t be an issue. The problem must be with the NAA app on the OpticalRendu, since I’ve eliminated everything else. Maybe I should get a new SD card from Andrew. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

21 hours ago, ray-dude said:

It can be hard to get started on HQP, just because all the choices can seem so overwhelming.  Once you have a working setup that you like, much easier to tweak up different filters and settings to tune to your ear.

As Rajiv and others have mentioned, with TT2 you want to target 16fs (768kHz for PCM, 44.1*256 for DSD).  sinc-M + LNS15 will give you a sound profile closest to Hugo mScaler.  Setting Vol Min and Vol Max to -3dB will force all volume control to be with your TT2, and give headroom for the upsampling so you don't get clipping.

A lot of the rest of the parameters are dependent on your streamer and preference.

There are MANY other Filter and Dither combinations to try.  Once you get sinc-M going, try sinc-L and sinc-S (I find sinc-L to be quite nice)

Once you start finding a preference, it gets easier because you can start exploring other filters within a family (MP vs LP filters, etc).  I happen to be a hard core LP guy, but others really enjoy what MP brings to the party.  

I've found that the more your ear gets accustomed to what HQP is doing, it becomes a lot easier to dial it in to your taste and your equipment (alas, there is no optimum configuration, which is why there are so many options!)

I appreciate you and others too. 

This was an encouragement to keep trying and first get used to a sound before I tinker further. 

What are the best settings for more resolution and clarity? 

35 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

This was an encouragement to keep trying and first get used to a sound before I tinker further. 

Keep experimenting. The filters and dither changes you make sometimes make only small differences that only become apparent with time. They are often very personal and some will like them and some others not. The worst that can happen is that it sounds bad to you and you move on to something else.

That said, I will share with you that my favorite filter is poly-sinc ext2 and the best dither to use with it is LNS 15 sent to the DAC at 7xx PCM. I think that should work with the Hugo, feel free to give it a try. Also, because there are so many possible combinations, kepp a wriiten list of like/dislike so you don't repeat.

52 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Keep experimenting. The filters and dither changes you make sometimes make only small differences that only become apparent with time. They are often very personal and some will like them and some others not. The worst that can happen is that it sounds bad to you and you move on to something else.

That said, I will share with you that my favorite filter is poly-sinc ext2 and the best dither to use with it is LNS 15 sent to the DAC at 7xx PCM. I think that should work with the Hugo, feel free to give it a try. Also, because there are so many possible combinations, kepp a wriiten list of like/dislike so you don't repeat.

What have you found the best setup for increased clarity and resolution? If there is any? 

3 minutes ago, bobflood said:

No there really isn't one that I could say increased clarity and resolution. They all sound very clear and resolved. The differences are more in the tonal distribution and emphasis.

So, you mean as in bass forward? Midforward ect? Tonal presentation? 

I'd love something Midforward 

12 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

This is very personal and DAC dependent. Different settings would give different results with various DACs. Also, there are apodizing filters and non-apodizing what can give various results depending on quality of recording. You need to experiment and compare. HQP gives many possibilities and this one of the reasons this player is so awesome. You may want start with recommended settings from Chord DACs users, such as you may find above.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ultrarunner said:

Then flow control shouldn’t be an issue. The problem must be with the NAA app on the OpticalRendu, since I’ve eliminated everything else. Maybe I should get a new SD card from Andrew. 

Does your network infra support autonegotiation of 802.3x? Note that at least 50% of smart/manged switches have it disabled by default. So with such switches you always must check that it is enabled on all ports. With such switches it is also good to check the per-port pause frame statistics to see if the feature is actually functional.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Depending on the filter you are using, yes this is normal.  With the sinc-M filter, believe it or not the sound you are hearing is processed from the recording in the future and the recording in the past, so HQP needs to accumulate data for a couple seconds before it can calculate what you should be hearing now.  For the gory details, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittaker–Shannon_interpolation_formula

As you use different filters, they will require a different window of time for their processing, so you'll have different delays.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Does your network infra support autonegotiation of 802.3x? Note that at least 50% of smart/manged switches have it disabled by default. So with such switches you always must check that it is enabled on all ports. With such switches it is also good to check the per-port pause frame statistics to see if the feature is actually functional.

The only switch I have is an EtherRegen. Alex has confirmed it has flow control and is compatible with HQPlayer. I don’t have control of anything related to”auto negotiation of 802.3x” on the SonicTransporter or opticalRendu. 

53 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

With the sinc-M filter, believe it or not the sound you are hearing is processed from the recording in the future and the recording in the past, so HQP needs to accumulate data for a couple seconds before it can calculate what you should be hearing now.  For the gory details, see:

Damn, that was well explained!  It’s hard to explain a time warp.  👍

Jussi, I should mention that I get these occasional dropouts just outputting 16/44 pcm with no conversion or filters. With the SonicTransporter operating at 1%. So it seems unlikely that my network can’t handle the data flow. Meanwhile Roon up-converting everything to DSD128 works fine. 

1 hour ago, Ultrarunner said:

Jussi, I should mention that I get these occasional dropouts just outputting 16/44 pcm with no conversion or filters. With the SonicTransporter operating at 1%. So it seems unlikely that my network can’t handle the data flow. Meanwhile Roon up-converting everything to DSD128 works fine. 

As I mentioned earlier, I would get Andrew at SGC involved. This could be similar to a prior problem others were having with running Roon and HQP together on the ST i5. He can remote in and check a few things and probably fix it for you remotely. The fact that it only occurs when using HQP with Roon and does not occur when using Roon internal up-sampling and also the fact that HQP PCM is affected as well leads me to suspect a Roon/HQP integration problem on the ST i5.

Another thing to try is varying the HQP buffer settings. Start from the smallest and move up and see if any one is stable. When running Roon and HQP on the same machine I found that buffer is very likely to cause dropouts if it is either too large or too small. I had a similar problem with my Win 10 setup until I found the best buffer. It is worth at try and won't take very long.

Put in a request for help on the SGC site contact form if this behavior persists. As I said this behavior was a problem a while back.

Thanks again @bobflood. I will try your increasing the buffer from the default (0) as you suggest. If that doesn’t work I’ll get Andrew to investigate. I was getting sidetracked, being pointed in the direction of flow control and auto-negotiation.

7 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

The only switch I have is an EtherRegen. Alex has confirmed it has flow control and is compatible with HQPlayer. I don’t have control of anything related to”auto negotiation of 802.3x” on the SonicTransporter or opticalRendu. 

But EtherRegen doesn't have optical interface for opticalRendu. There needs to be something more between your HQPlayer computer and opticalRendu.

OTOH, I don't understand why EtherRegen with something like opticalRendu in first place?

It can still be network issue. On my network I can even send 8 channels of DSD256 over WiFi to a NAA (not a Rendu though) without issues. But OTOH, I use Cisco/HPE switches and HPE WiFi access points. No EtherRegen either.

It is important to get started with minimal setup. First without NAA, and then connect NAA to your regular home network. More gadgets there are on the way, more likely there are problems.

And remember to stay away from "audiophile network cables" and stick with regular CAT6 UTP cables.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

But EtherRegen doesn't have optical interface for opticalRendu. There needs to be something more between your HQPlayer computer and opticalRendu.

OTOH, I don't understand why EtherRegen with something like opticalRendu in first place?

It can still be network issue. On my network I can even send 8 channels of DSD256 over WiFi to a NAA (not a Rendu though) without issues. But OTOH, I use Cisco/HPE switches and HPE WiFi access points. No EtherRegen either.

It is important to get started with minimal setup. First without NAA, and then connect NAA to your regular home network. More gadgets there are on the way, more likely there are problems.

And remember to stay away from "audiophile network cables" and stick with regular CAT6 UTP cables.

The EtherRegen has an optical interface for opticalRendu. If you go B to A on the EtherRegen you can connect the EtherRegen direct to the opticalRendu via the SFP port of the EtherRegen. That's what I have done. Works perfect with HQP and still get the benefits of the EtherRegen.

First I used an opticalModule to connect to the opticalRendu. When I tried the EtherRegen instead of the opticalModule in front of the opticalRendu everything sounded better.

I'm having an issue with HQPlayer Desktop 4 pausing music playback.  The backend is an NAA to Hugo TT2 DAC.

Music files stored locally or on the NAS exhibit the same behavior.  Filter, dither and buffer settings don't change the behavior. 

HQPlayer Desktop is running on a Windows 10 PC.  The NAA is running on Audiolinux.

Playback is pausing constantly but inconsistently.  Throughout a 3 minute song it could occur 20 times randomly.  It could make it 10 seconds into a song or 40 seconds before occurring the first time.