IGNORED

HQ Player

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

In 4.3.2 wont work with box checked get drop outs and high cpu but works with box grayed.

For me everything works as before. In my experience, it is better to leave multicore gray because the HQPLayer does the core distribution better. That was the case before.

38004377fr.png

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

For me everything works as before. In my experience, it is better to leave multicore gray because the HQPLayer does the core distribution better. That was the case before.

38004377fr.png

How do you have only 66 Processes running in task manager ?

12 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

How do you have only 66 Processes running in task manager ?

Yes. 

With Remote Control I am usually at 60. The 6+ came from the installation of HQPlayer 4.3.2 and will decrease after restart my Audio PC.

Check out my DIY project. I will soon describe how the processes can be reduced.

7 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Is there a specific topic here about HQPlayer OS?

Not really, HQPlayer Embedded and thus HQPlayer OS has been mostly under "HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded" thread.

7 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

May I boot my MacBook Pro with that image?

It may, or may not work. Keyboard and such may not work for example. Mac is a little bit different from a regular PC. If the MacBook is new enough, it may need some firmware setting changes to make T2 security chip allow booting a non-Apple/Microsoft OS.

But OTOH, trying it out from a USB memory stick is easy...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

If the MacBook is new enough, it may need some firmware setting changes to make T2 security chip allow booting a non-Apple/Microsoft OS

But OTOH, trying it out from a USB memory stick is easy...

Mine is 2017, not T2!

Did you try with your Mac?

Someone else by here tried?

P.S.: I will try with an i5 Lenovo Think Pad notebook!

@Miska I am trying HQPlayer OS currently, I am using HQP Embedded on ubuntu currently. Is there a way I could install it directly on the internal hard disk and boot from there, instead of from the USB?. Will I be able to upsample to 1.536 pcm if I use your OS? right now with ubuntu/embedded I was not able to play properly the sound is sluggish and distorted any ideas also why it is behaving that way?

9 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

@Miska I am trying HQPlayer OS currently, I am using HQP Embedded on ubuntu currently. Is there a way I could install it directly on the internal hard disk and boot from there, instead of from the USB?

You can dump the image to some other storage with "bmaptool" (faster) or "dd" (slower), for example using a Linux live image. There's no "installation". So beware not to wipe out something you want to keep while writing the image.

12 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

Will I be able to upsample to 1.536 pcm if I use your OS?

Yes, it should work, as well as DSD1024.

12 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

right now with ubuntu/embedded I was not able to play properly the sound is sluggish and distorted any ideas also why it is behaving that way?

You need a custom kernel to make those rates work. You can install my Ubuntu kernel package there to achieve such functionality. You can find the kernel packages in the same place where for example libgmpris is too.

1 hour ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Mine is 2017, not T2!

Did you try with your Mac?

Someone else by here tried?

P.S.: I will try with an i5 Lenovo Think Pad notebook!

Yes, works perfectly fine with my mid 2012 MBPr

I'm limited to 5EC with PCM, ASDM7 with DSD sources but that's a horsepower issue not a Mac vs PC issue : if your Mac is more powerful than the Lenovo, use the Mac

just etch the image and press the option key at boot to select it : that simple

10 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Desktop Windows 4.3.2 constant drop outs.CPU percentage is way higher.

Miska : The version posted at Signalyst.com still appears to be 4.3.1. Where can I d/l 4.3.2?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

The version posted at Signalyst.com still appears to be 4.3.1. Where can I d/l 4.3.2?

just clear the browser cache 😉

15 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Ah, of course. Thank you, @StreamFidelity

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Well @Miska I installed HQP Desktop 4.32 with high hopes, but unfortunately having exactly the same issue that prevented me from using 4.31. Specifically, as shown in the screenshots below, anytime I have client / server both running there is consumption of 14-16% of my cpu cycles with no music files loaded, both client and server inactive. This obviously limits my ability to use EC modulators at higher rates. When I roll back to 4.301 with no other changes to my system configuration, this behaviour is not evident. Please address this with an update ASAP as one of the major value aspects of purchasing HQ Player is the ability to update as you release new versions, but something clearly was "broken" after 4.30 as my system is completely unchanged, but the newer versions "hog" cpu resources even when idyl. Thank you very much!

With HQP Desktop 4.32:

4_32.thumb.jpg.d977b77c9ef02ce736b16f5235e7dc1f.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

With HQP Desktop 4.30spacer.pngspacer.png

4_30.thumb.jpg.0db210ca223ef5d7b986daa091ea7b78.jpg

7 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Yes, works perfectly fine with my mid 2012 MBPr

I'm limited to 5EC with PCM, ASDM7 with DSD sources but that's a horsepower issue not a Mac vs PC issue : if your Mac is more powerful than the Lenovo, use the Mac

just etch the image and press the option key at boot to select it : that simple

Thanks a lot!

Keyboard and trackpad work fine?

Well @Miska I installed HQP Desktop 4.32 with high hopes, but unfortunately having exactly the same issue that prevented me from using 4.31. Specifically, as shown in the screenshots below, anytime I have client / server both running there is consumption of 14-16% of my cpu cycles with no music files loaded, both client and server inactive. This obviously limits my ability to use EC modulators at higher rates. When I roll back to 4.301 with no other changes to my system configuration, this behaviour is not evident. Please address this with an update ASAP as one of the major value aspects of purchasing HQ Player is the ability to update as you release new versions, but something clearly was "broken" after 4.30 as my system is completely unchanged, but the newer versions "hog" cpu resources even when idyl. Thank you very much!

With HQP Desktop 4.32:

4_32.thumb.jpg.d977b77c9ef02ce736b16f5235e7dc1f.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

With HQP Desktop 4.30spacer.pngspacer.png

4_30.thumb.jpg.0db210ca223ef5d7b986daa091ea7b78.jpg

I can not confirm this atleast not for my system:

HQPlayer 4.3.0.1:

HQP_4.3.0.1.jpg

HQPlayer 4.3.2:

HQP_4.3.2.jpg

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Well @Miska I installed HQP Desktop 4.32 with high hopes, but unfortunately having exactly the same issue that prevented me from using 4.31. Specifically, as shown in the screenshots below, anytime I have client / server both running there is consumption of 14-16% of my cpu cycles with no music files loaded, both client and server inactive.

I just have no idea why that happens, and I'm unable to reproduce it, so it is very hard to do anything about it...

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Reload/refresh button should do it. Although the pages have cache control validation headers set, so if browser is behaving correctly it should always check with the server before using cached page...

I am controlling HQPlayer Desktop today from Roon, works flawlessly. My USB DAC is plugged into the same machine as HQPlayer, no use of NAA. I want to add a USB Phono interface to play my vinyls through HQPlayer.

Question : will HQPlayer automatically switch from "Roon controlled via network" to "USB WASAPI Input" when I switch on the USB Audio Interface ? And vice versa ? It's unclear from the documentation. 

15 hours ago, Miska said:

You need a custom kernel to make those rates work. You can install my Ubuntu kernel package there to achieve such functionality. You can find the kernel packages in the same place where for example libgmpris is too.

Hi @Miska, can you please point me to the right directory and file of the kernel package? :) I am thinking it is in this directory(for ubuntu) https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/bionic/. Do i need to install both the image and the header. Sorry for the many questions. I really want to make this work

14 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

Hi @Miska, can you please point me to the right directory and file of the kernel package? :) I am thinking it is in this directory(for ubuntu) https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/bionic/. Do i need to install both the image and the header. Sorry for the many questions. I really want to make this work

That's the place, 5.4.22 is the latest version at the moment. I would recommend to install both at the same time through "sudo dpkg -i file1 file2", strictly speaking the header package is only needed if there are external kernel modules to be built, but it is good to have just in case. Since the kernel version is higher than the one shipped by Ubuntu, it should become automatically the default one at boot (in case of problems you can select other ones from the grub bootloader menu).

1 hour ago, alec_eiffel said:

I am controlling HQPlayer Desktop today from Roon, works flawlessly. My USB DAC is plugged into the same machine as HQPlayer, no use of NAA. I want to add a USB Phono interface to play my vinyls through HQPlayer.

Question : will HQPlayer automatically switch from "Roon controlled via network" to "USB WASAPI Input" when I switch on the USB Audio Interface ? And vice versa ? It's unclear from the documentation. 

You need to manually switch the input, a bit like you would do on a preamp or DAC. In HQPlayer main window (and also in Client), there's a drop-list with input choices. So let's say you want to run ADC at 96 kHz, you would select "audio:default/96000/2" from the drop list and press enter. This results in audio input being load to the playlist:

Screenshot_2020-03-05_18-48-14.thumb.png.d3697fae9f555c1a259b45db30f0a330.png

When you then click "Play", HQPlayer starts playing from that input to the normal output.

You can unload this, by stopping playback first, and then click the "<X" button on the URI entry and press enter. This clears the selection. If not cleared, it is remembered across restarts.

If some other application like Roon then comes and starts giving playback commands to HQPlayer, then it (usually) switches automatically back to playing from Roon.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That's the place, 5.4.22 is the latest version at the moment. I would recommend to install both at the same time through "sudo dpkg -i file1 file2", strictly speaking the header package is only needed if there are external kernel modules to be built, but it is good to have just in case. Since the kernel version is higher than the one shipped by Ubuntu, it should become automatically the default one at boot (in case of problems you can select other ones from the grub bootloader menu).

It workssss, Thanks @Miska, currently playing sinc-M - LNS15 :) sounds great!hqp.thumb.jpeg.3d46d631f2649a5a6d4f668ae9e9361b.jpeg

Current hardware can only play up to dsd 256. I swear once I have build my new pc, I will rush at your store and purchase the license.

Thanks for the awesome support as always

8 hours ago, Miska said:

I just have no idea why that happens, and I'm unable to reproduce it, so it is very hard to do anything about it...

Are there HQP or Win10 OS or bios settings I should adjust to (hopefully) solve this.?Would an HQP log file be helpful to you? If so, please instruct me how and I will send. This is very frustrating.

Are there HQP or Win10 OS or bios settings I should adjust to (hopefully) solve this.?Would an HQP log file be helpful to you? If so, please instruct me how and I will send. This is very frustrating.

This is all software stack through "localhost", except graphics and audio output. Audio output is not active there, graphics is, but the load should then be more on the Client rather than on the server side.

Is it the same if you connect through real network instead of "localhost"? You have two choices on the drop-list.

You could email me HQPlayer4Desktop.log from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder, if you have it enabled already. If not, first enable it from settings and then restart HQPlayer so that it is gathered right from the beginning.