IGNORED

HQ Player

4 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Noted, Jussi.. Hopefully next update will return to prior version's behaviour in this regard for me. For now if you don't have any thoughts as to what I can try to correct the excessive cpu cycles at idle,I'll stick to 4.30.

Just make sure you are running plain Win10 (no "OS optimizers") and that you have High Performance or Ultimate Performance power profile selected.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Why not use the NAA image on Pi4?

While I mostly use HQPlay, there are times when I need to stream from the internet and so I’m looking for something that supports RoonBridge, NAA, Raspotify and AirPlay.   I tried to build NAA on RopieeeXL, but it looks like the NAA image in AUR is only for amd64.  Would you have the steps to build NAA for Arch Linux?  Reading the Roon forums, it sounds like it’s not possible, but I didn’t understand why that would be....although I have no idea how to do it!  :)

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

While I mostly use HQPlay, there are times when I need to stream from the internet and so I’m looking for something that supports RoonBridge, NAA, Raspotify and AirPlay.   I tried to build NAA on RopieeeXL, but it looks like the NAA image in AUR is only for amd64.  Would you have the steps to build NAA for Arch Linux?  Reading the Roon forums, it sounds like it’s not possible, but I didn’t understand why that would be....although I have no idea how to do it!  :)

Anything you can play over RoonBridge you can play over HQPlayer + NAA. I can also play Spotify and internet radios over HQPlayer, so there's nothing I wouldn't be able to do.

I don't know about ArchLinux, never used it nor any plans about it. Debian 10 (Buster) is supported though.

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

I'm trying to mount a network share (a folder on NAS) via the web-screen in HQP Embedded, without success. Could you kindly spell out in idiotspeak what I have to put in the Share box in the NetworkMounts screen?

If you have server called "server" and share called "share" on it, you put "//server/share" on the Share box. You can also put just IP address instead of server name there, for example "//192.168.1.10/share".

21 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Is the ifi Pro Idsd Dac compatible with HQ, on Mac?

Would it work to use HQ to upsample to DSD 256, then have the IDSD upsample to DSD 1024?

I read a couple of positive reviews about the ifi, but earlier reviews seemed luke-warm to me.

I don't know, but I would say it likely works at DSD256. However, I would strongly advise against using it's modulator to upsample further.

On Mac, I think you would be better off with the new version RME ADI-2 DAC set to DSD Direct mode running at DSD256 natively (you just need to forget about using it's headphone section).

Or maybe something like Holo Spring 2.

55 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you have server called "server" and share called "share" on it, you put "//server/share" on the Share box. You can also put just IP address instead of server name there, for example "//192.168.1.10/share".

Thanks. But if I do that, it says “Success” and then returns to the same screen without showing anything new. What should I be seeing and where?

Hey, happy HQPlayer customer here.`

My setup:

- Roon doing stereo --> stereo HAF Convolution for room correction at source rate

- Roon outputting to HQPlayer (same machine), for upsampling to 384kHz and active filtering, stereo --> 8 channels (4 channels per speaker, Bass1, Bass2, Mid, Tweeter)

- Network streaming to NAA endpoint plugged into Exasound E28  DAC

First, it seems that I cannot implement Room correction AND active filtering in HQPlayer, there's only one matrix, correct? If I want to perform all processing in HQPlayer, I guess I need to manually convolve my room correction files with the active filters file, right? Is there an easy command line tool for this ? 

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. But if I do that, it says “Success” and then returns to the same screen without showing anything new. What should I be seeing and where?

Nothing more, you can then scan the contents to the library, under /library page. On the drop-list there for path, there's option "/smb". Once it has been scanned, you can see list of albums that have been found on the share.

57 minutes ago, Miska said:

Nothing more, you can then scan the contents to the library, under /library page. On the drop-list there for path, there's option "/smb". Once it has been scanned, you can see list of albums that have been found on the share.

Thanks. That worked fine. 

But does HQPlayer not take account of disc numbers within multi-disc albums? All my operas are in a jumbled order of tracks. 

2 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. That worked fine. 

But does HQPlayer not take account of disc numbers within multi-disc albums? All my operas are in a jumbled order of tracks. 

If you have all discs in same folder, make sure track number tags continue the numbering on next disc and don't start from the beginning. TRCK tag is supported, but TPOS is not at the moment. Since storing tracks as files there's no concept of "multi-disc". Other alternative is to store each disc in a separate folder so that they are considered separate albums.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you have all discs in same folder, make sure track number tags continue the numbering on next disc and don't start from the beginning. TRCK tag is supported, but TPOS is not at the moment. Since storing tracks as files there's no concept of "multi-disc". Other alternative is to store each disc in a separate folder so that they are considered separate albums.

I’m afraid that won’t work for me given the size of my library and the way the metadata is organised. Also if I buy new downloads, which are often arranged split into discs with numbering restarting on each (for instance the new René Jacobs Leonora I’ve just bought), I don’t want to be editing the metadata unnecessarily. 

Don’t worry, I’ll use Roon as a front end as I have done previously. It’s just that since you introduced the network mounts screen I’ve been curious to try it  

4 minutes ago, craighartley said:

I’m afraid that won’t work for me given the size of my library and the way the metadata is organised. Also if I buy new downloads, which are often arranged split into discs with numbering restarting on each (for instance the new René Jacobs Leonora I’ve just bought), I don’t want to be editing the metadata unnecessarily. 

Don’t worry, I’ll use Roon as a front end as I have done previously. It’s just that since you introduced the network mounts screen I’ve been curious to try it  

I have some improvements in queue for next release, for multi-disc albums.

But where on earth do you find such download that have anything to do with disc numbers? Downloads shouldn't have anything to do with some ancient concept as "discs", since there are no "discs" involved anywhere. I have never seen it myself what I've been buying.

What I've been buying downloads they are just numbered as one huge album. For example Pink Floyd's "The Later Years Remastered" is just one set of 46 tracks in 96/24 FLAC, with 5 GB total size.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have some improvements in queue for next release, for multi-disc albums.

But where on earth do you find such download that have anything to do with disc numbers? Downloads shouldn't have anything to do with some ancient concept as "discs", since there are no "discs" involved anywhere. I have never seen it myself what I've been buying.

What I've been buying downloads they are just numbered as one huge album. For example Pink Floyd's "The Later Years Remastered" is just one set of 46 tracks in 96/24 FLAC, with 5 GB total size.

It’s really quite common in Classical downloads. The one I’ve just bought is from a major label (Harmonia Mundi) on one of the biggest download sites:

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/beethoven-leonore-freiburger-barockorchester-and-rene-jacobs/ih57ezavf9ffa

But you find it elsewhere, for instance the series of live releases of Bruce Springsteen concerts are split into discs (each live set and group of encores being on a separate ‘disc’). 

13 minutes ago, craighartley said:

It’s really quite common in Classical downloads. The one I’ve just bought is from a major label (Harmonia Mundi) on one of the biggest download sites:

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/beethoven-leonore-freiburger-barockorchester-and-rene-jacobs/ih57ezavf9ffa

But you find it elsewhere, for instance the series of live releases of Bruce Springsteen concerts are split into discs (each live set and group of encores being on a separate ‘disc’). 

OK, I don't know about Qobuz since I cannot access it (not available in Finland).

This is longest Bruce Springsteen album I found on highresaudio.com, and it is just flat 30 tracks:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/qvjdz3/bruce-springsteen-springsteen-on-broadway

This is flat 76 tracks (HDtracks):

https://www.hdtracks.co.uk/the-album-collection-vol-1-1973-1984

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

OK, I don't know about Qobuz since I cannot access it (not available in Finland).

This is longest Bruce Springsteen album I found on highresaudio.com, and it is just flat 30 tracks:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/qvjdz3/bruce-springsteen-springsteen-on-broadway

This is flat 76 tracks (HDtracks):

https://www.hdtracks.co.uk/the-album-collection-vol-1-1973-1984

No, I’m talking about the downloads of live gigs:

http://m.live.brucespringsteen.net/bsmobile.asp#category-items?category=top

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

Can you find any problematic content on HDtracks or highresaudio.com? Or for example nativedsd.com?

I’ve had problem metadata from all sites including, on occasion, those you name. If you mean specifically the issue of splitting into discs, then I can’t remember which other sites I’ve found it on. But that’s not problematic for me, because, as I said, it’s handled in Roon. 

I completely agree with you that it’s crazy to split downloads into discs at point of sale.  And at first I used to change them into one long sequence of track numbers. But unless there is a download specific booklet, changing the track numbers renders the booklet useless, and that is important to me especially when it incorporates an opera libretto indexed by the original disc tracks. Changing disc and track numbers also used to cause a problem when Roon was identifying the release version, as it was looking for an album split into discs. 

1 minute ago, craighartley said:

I’ve had problem metadata from all sites including, on occasion, those you name. If you mean specifically the issue of splitting into discs, then I can’t remember which other sites I’ve found it on. But that’s not problematic for me, because, as I said, it’s handled in Roon. 

OK, if there are albums available in said services that have metadata problems with HQPlayer, I can take a look. Sometimes they do have broken metadata, one way or the other. But I don't have downloads from them that would be split into discs.

3 minutes ago, craighartley said:

I completely agree with you that it’s crazy to split downloads into discs at point of sale.  And at first I used to change them into one long sequence of track numbers. But unless there is a download specific booklet, changing the track numbers renders the booklet useless, and that is important to me especially when it incorporates an opera libretto indexed by the original disc tracks. Changing disc and track numbers also used to cause a problem when Roon was identifying the release version, as it was looking for an album split into discs.

In any case, I have made some changes for next release that hopefully helps with these multi-disc releases when stuffed into same folder. I have some multi-disc CD rips myself, but those are all in separate disc-specific folders.

For me personally, Roon is a black hole where albums disappear unless I know exactly what I'm looking for... But this is very personal thing anyway.

9 hours ago, jimdukey said:

Is the ifi Pro Idsd Dac compatible with HQ, on Mac?

Yes

9 hours ago, jimdukey said:

Would it work to use HQ to upsample to DSD 256, then have the IDSD upsample to DSD 1024?

Yes, but Miska advised against it, you are better off with direct DSD256EC.

I own the 4.4mm version, latest firmware broke 48k DSD playback (but you gain MQA support from the firmware).

19 hours ago, Miska said:

Just make sure you are running plain Win10 (no "OS optimizers") and that you have High Performance or Ultimate Performance power profile selected.

Good suggestion, Jussi.I have changed from balanced to high performance and cpu utilization during playback is a few percent less, This is still using HQP Desktop 4.30 as I'm reluctant reluctant to go back to 4.31 due to the cpu consumption at idle issue. I will report back it it makes any additional difference.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 2/9/2020 at 12:19 AM, Miska said:

I know for example RasPi3 and similar have such issues due to shared USB bus between USB connector and Ethernet interface.

How are you connecting to the DAC? Which OS are you running HQPlayer on?

I run HQPlayer on a Windows 10 PC with i9-9900k. The DAC is connected by USB.