IGNORED

HQ Player

On 1/10/2020 at 12:02 AM, Miska said:

Most time consuming part of initialization is supposed to use 6 HyperThreads of your CPU. Rest of it uses just two cores yes. Initialization time work split only affects how long the initialization takes, but not stuttering since the playback is not yet started at that point. Initial stutter at the beginning is usually indicating some lag in reading the source data. Are you playing files directly by HQPlayer or streaming from Roon? Somewhat recent stream buffering improvements in HQPlayer 4 should help on Roon cases.

You could also check if CPU clocks bump up immediately or if there's a lag when starting (when it stutters) before going up to normal values. You could also try to use the Ultimate Performance power profile and see if makes any difference.

Happens with HQPlayer on its own with files on ssd connected to pc .Also using with Roon steaming Tidal.Have set to ultimate peformance plan.Also still have issue when trialed HQPlayer 4 were lot of the time have to hit play twice to start HQPlayer . 4 is better then 3.

Hello,

I upgraded to a i9-9900K machine with a GTX 1070 Ti GPU card. I can run the 7EC modulator with the poly-sinc-lp-2s filter @ 44.1x256. I have the multicore grayed, the adaptive frequency as well. Cuda is enabled. GPU load around 5-9%, or less) seems not to change with enabled, grayed or disabled... CPU load is about 20%.

Jussi, I saw on one of your screenshots that your GPU load with the 1080 was at 60% or so...

How can I make sure that cuda is "working" and takes processing?

Thanks!

Alex

31 minutes ago, der_yeti said:

I upgraded to a i9-9900K machine with a GTX 1070 Ti GPU card. I can run the 7EC modulator with the poly-sinc-lp-2s filter @ 44.1x256. I have the multicore grayed, the adaptive frequency as well. Cuda is enabled. GPU load around 5-9%, or less) seems not to change with enabled, grayed or disabled... CPU load is about 20%.

Jussi, I saw on one of your screenshots that your GPU load with the 1080 was at 60% or so...

How can I make sure that cuda is "working" and takes processing?

With -2s filter variant it is very light weight. With that hardware, you could also try the non-2s version for comparison... But biggest load lands on the CPU and is from that modulator...

CUDA offload status is indicated on HQPlayer status bar for 10 seconds or so when playback is started.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, AudioXP said:

Have you tried without the GPU? Others (including myself) have reported this working on an i7-9700K. CPU load around 50% average per core.

Just tried it. The load just doubles from around 24% to 47% without cuda offload. This is for 44,1/256

I further tried 44,1/512 which doesn't work with the ASDM7EC, but with the non EC. Using cuda offload causes dropouts. I will give 512 a try with ASDM7 instead of EC with 256. Not sure what I like more. First impression is that 512 sounds smother, yet detailled. My impression is that it improves "space"...

2 hours ago, craighartley said:

Could you please explain a little the differences between the Closed-Form (16M) and the MinRing FIR filters?

They are totally different. closed-form-16M is extremely long (16 million "taps") interpolator instead of traditional filter. minringFIR is a very short special filter that has as few taps as possible while still providing decent attenuation. Both are non-apodizing "half-band" type.

1 hour ago, The_Thor said:

I own a Linn DS UpNP streamer and would be very happy to use HQPlayer for streaming.

Is this possible in the newer versions? I just found an old topic with this question.

If the Linn is UPnP Renderer, it is not useful with HQPlayer. UPnP Media Servers and Control Points can be used with HQPlayer Embedded since it can operate as a UPnP Renderer.

Essentially HQPlayer Embedded is advanced streamer firmware with a lot of DSP features.

20 minutes ago, The_Thor said:

It is a shame, because I would like to use your Upsampling to 192 kHz for my Linn DS. :)

Is the combination of Roon Core and HQPlayer Embedded for Upsampling and UPnP Renderer possible?

No, both have their own network endpoint protocols because UPnP is not suitable for the purpose. Roon has RAAT (Roon Bridge) and HQPlayer has NAA.

You would need to ask Linn to integrate my NAA endpoint into their products for that to be possible.

1 hour ago, der_yeti said:

I noticed some noise while listnening with the poly-sync-ext2. Whether configured with ASDM5/7/EC, 512 (non EC) or 256 (EC).

Switching another filter eliminates the noise. At the moment I prefer the poly-sync-xtr-mp.

Any ideas for the reason?

What kind of noise? If you suspect a problem, you can play a test tone like 440 Hz sine. Then it is easier to hear if there is something extra.

Shouldn't be the load either, because ext2 is lighter than xtr-mp, unless you are using xtr-mp-2s which is lighter than ext2.

@MiskaI am experiencring some strange behaviour with HQ Player 4.31 that I did not experience on 4.30. Specifically, when I launch client and player, there is ~15% cpu activity taken by HQ Player idle, with no playback initiated. This seems like excessive overhead for the program at idle. The only way I can reduce it to <1% is to close client and restart HQPlayer without client. I am hopeful you have a solution. If not, please direct me to a link and I will roll back to 4.30 until this is fixed. Many thanks.

Annotation 2020-02-07 224609.jpg

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

35 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

@MiskaI am experiencring some strange behaviour with HQ Player 4.31 that I did not experience on 4.30. Specifically, when I launch client and player, there is ~15% cpu activity taken by HQ Player idle, with no playback initiated. This seems like excessive overhead for the program at idle. The only way I can reduce it to <1% is to close client and restart HQPlayer without client. I am hopeful you have a solution. If not, please direct me to a link and I will roll back to 4.30 until this is fixed. Many thanks.

Annotation 2020-02-07 224609.jpg

I located my copy of 4.30, uninstalled 4.31 and reinstalled the prior release -->  Problem resolved. In my  admittedly layman's terms, appears to be an issue with how client and server communicate in 4.31, consuming  substantial cpu cycles even when no playback occuring. I look forward to a resolution in future releases.

Thanks, Jussi!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

3 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

I located my copy of 4.30, uninstalled 4.31 and reinstalled the prior release -->  Problem resolved. In my  admittedly layman's terms, appears to be an issue with how client and server communicate in 4.31, consuming  substantial cpu cycles even when no playback occuring. I look forward to a resolution in future releases.

Thanks, Jussi!

That may remain mystery unless I manage to reproduce it here...

Screenshot_2020-02-08_13-19-21.thumb.png.067191f3e8ce9938a87148314eeeff5f.png

On 2/7/2020 at 3:55 PM, Miska said:

What kind of noise? If you suspect a problem, you can play a test tone like 440 Hz sine. Then it is easier to hear if there is something extra.

Shouldn't be the load either, because ext2 is lighter than xtr-mp, unless you are using xtr-mp-2s which is lighter than ext2.

Load isn’t an issue.

Hard to describe the noise. Maybe tickling.

It comes one or two seconds after starting playback. It’s present on internet radio and playback from hard disk.

I’ll try the test tone.

8 minutes ago, der_yeti said:

Hard to describe the noise. Maybe tickling.

It comes one or two seconds after starting playback. It’s present on internet radio and playback from hard disk.

I’ll try the test tone.

I know for example RasPi3 and similar have such issues due to shared USB bus between USB connector and Ethernet interface.

How are you connecting to the DAC? Which OS are you running HQPlayer on?

18 hours ago, Miska said:

That may remain mystery unless I manage to reproduce it here...

Screenshot_2020-02-08_13-19-21.thumb.png.067191f3e8ce9938a87148314eeeff5f.png

Noted, Jussi.. Hopefully next update will return to prior version's behaviour in this regard for me. For now if you don't have any thoughts as to what I can try to correct the excessive cpu cycles at idle,I'll stick to 4.30.