IGNORED

HQ Player

An Apple compatible external microphone for Mac mini desktop computers is often a high priority for Macintosh users. ... Apple doesn't include an internal audio recording microphone in the Mac mini, nor doe

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

24 minutes ago, ambre said:

An Apple compatible external microphone for Mac mini desktop computers is often a high priority for Macintosh users. ... Apple doesn't include an internal audio recording microphone in the Mac mini, nor doe

It probably doesn't matter if it's the built-in line-input or microphone. I just noticed myself, that having RME ADI-2 Pro set as input didn't trigger the permission dialog. Only once I switched to the built-in audio. Once the permission is granted, ADI-2 Pro audio input also became unmuted.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Miska,

if it's the built-in line-input or microphone.

No Mic nor line input available on Mac mini 2018 ....please look at specs I am not kidding!

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-20 om 22.50.45.jpg

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

9 minutes ago, ambre said:

Miska,

if it's the built-in line-input or microphone.

No Mic nor line input available on Mac mini 2018 ....please look at specs I am not kidding!

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-20 om 22.50.45.jpg

OK, the older Mini's I had still had line inputs. But I've retired my Mini and I only have two iMac's anymore to test on. Both have mic and line inputs.

But if the loopback driver is working currently, there's nothing to worry about?

Dear Miska, 

That was my first remark made this eventing.

I can play by means of loopback prg made by Amoebe. Costs are €120,00 for this license.

But all the guys wint Mac Mini 2018 and up cannot use the realtime audio function as presented by HqPlayer.

That’s the issue.

51 minutes ago, ambre said:

But all the guys wint Mac Mini 2018 and up cannot use the realtime audio function as presented by HqPlayer.

Are you sure? Have you tested it with the two recent versions using some hardware device?

HQPlayer ends up on that list you were talking about only once macOS has asked user about it. And it will only ask when you attempt to use a device it considers falling into that category. Obviously for your loopback that is not the case and that's why it doesn't ask or show up there...

3 hours ago, Miska said:

You have Direct SDM enabled in HQPlayer's "DSD Sources" dialog? You could also try unchecking that setting and remodulating the files using ASDM5 modulator to see if you hear any difference.

It could be at least two problems;

1) Clocking problem may cause such effects, for example some Amanero USB interface firmware versions had such

2) Too much ultrasonic left-over noise at DSD64 and due to gear following the DAC it gets transformed back to audio band.

Are you by any chances using I2S input? Trying with USB instead would tell if the clock is behaving bad. To check (1).

To check (2) you would need some other amplifier, preferably something like headphone amp and headphones to check.

It goes MacBook Pro (Roon/ hqplayer 4) —> Matrix Audio USB cable —> Matrix Audio SPDIF X 2 —> I2S via AQ Mocha hdmi —> DirectStream Junior

22 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

It goes MacBook Pro (Roon/ hqplayer 4) —> Matrix Audio USB cable —> Matrix Audio SPDIF X 2 —> I2S via AQ Mocha hdmi —> DirectStream Junior

I would recommend to compare connecting USB straight to the DirectStream's USB input instead of the I2S link and compare.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I would recommend to compare connecting USB straight to the DirectStream's USB input instead of the I2S link and compare.

I’m all in on the I2S setup, hoping for a solution that doesn’t involve going USB into the DirectStream 👍

New device inputs in Network Audio Daemon 4.0.0:

Can you explain how this is intended to be used?  Since the upsampling & modulator functions are performed in Desktop or Embedded, it seems that the Daemon must receive its input from Desktop or Embedded.  Is the new device input merely a pass-through without upsampling or DSD modulator? 

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

8 minutes ago, 521ztz said:

Hi Miska, I've connected my hqplayer PC to a NAA, still fail to play the music in Hqplayer.

Each time when I click a song, it shows 'processing time:xxxx s'.

image.thumb.png.b6aea28e227b6c8dce2d78519fe7b16c.png

It seems I cannot even change the settings under 'SDM Defaults'. I tried to change but when I click 'OK' and enter the setting again, it still keeps the previous settings.

@Miska

After installing HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.3.0 on Win Pro 10, there are unfortunately dropouts. After switching back to 4.2.3, everything is fine again. I haven't changed the settings.

Possibly the core assignment is less optimal - just a guess. I send you PM with Log.

HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.3.0

spacer.png

HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.2.3

spacer.png

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

After installing HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.3.0 on Win Pro 10, there are unfortunately dropouts. After switching back to 4.2.3, everything is fine again. I haven't changed the settings.

Possibly the core assignment is less optimal - just a guess. I send you PM with Log.

HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.3.0

spacer.png

HQPlayer 4 Desktop: 4.2.3

spacer.png

There are no changes in that area or in those algorithms, and the load patterns look the same. Just compiler got updated between...

3 hours ago, 521ztz said:

Hi Miska, I've connected my hqplayer PC to a NAA, still fail to play the music in Hqplayer.

Each time when I click a song, it shows 'processing time:xxxx s'.

image.thumb.png.b6aea28e227b6c8dce2d78519fe7b16c.png

Please enable log file and restart HQPlayer. If it manages to save the settings without errors. Log file can be found from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder. (please do not post log files on the forum for privacy and pollution reasons)

If it doesn't appear there, you may need to delete settings.xml from that folder and start HQPlayer again to reset the settings. After restarting with clear settings, enable log file as first thing before doing anything else and restart HQPlayer once again so that log is collected from the beginning.

Without log file it is pretty pure guesswork. Bigger error lines are prefixed with '!' and smaller errors with '#', warnings with '?'.

23 minutes ago, sgb said:

I have the same problem with HQPlayer 4 Desktop 4.3.0 on Win Pro 10, a lot of dropouts with the same settings as 4.2.3. 

Comparing log files for exactly same startup/playback session between the two versions could be helpful. It is important to use same content same way to have minimum number of variables in the play.

Also if someone is using for example ASDM7EC and NOT having problems between the versions would be useful to know. Then we could try to figure out what is different. Only code change near that code path was fix of ASIO backend crash with certain configuration.

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

New device inputs in Network Audio Daemon 4.0.0:

Can you explain how this is intended to be used?  Since the upsampling & modulator functions are performed in Desktop or Embedded, it seems that the Daemon must receive its input from Desktop or Embedded.  Is the new device input merely a pass-through without upsampling or DSD modulator? 

It works the same way as the earlier direct inputs. But now NAA can be used for input as well as output. Previously NAA was only capable of output (playback), but not input (capture/recording).

So now it is possible to have a network endpoint with ADC, S/PDIF or some other type of input.

11 hours ago, DancingSea said:

I’m all in on the I2S setup, hoping for a solution that doesn’t involve going USB into the DirectStream 👍

Since the description sounded like a clocking problem, and I2S is prone to clocking/jitter issues, it would be good to check this first, especially because it is relatively simple thing to do.

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

Comparing log files for exactly same startup/playback session between the two versions could be helpful.

You got both Logs via PM. 😉

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

Comparing log files for exactly same startup/playback session between the two versions could be helpful. It is important to use same content same way to have minimum number of variables in the play.

Also if someone is using for example ASDM7EC and NOT having problems between the versions would be useful to know. Then we could try to figure out what is different. Only code change near that code path was fix of ASIO backend crash with certain configuration.

Logs and settings have been sent to you.

16 hours ago, Miska said:

Are you sure? Have you tested it with the two recent versions using some hardware device?

What kind of hardware devices do you mean? I suppose as soon as connect a cheap usb mic problem may be solved?

Ps. New Mac Mini’s 2018 and up doesn’t have hardware line input  like Toslink as on my mini 2012 and/or Mic input. So in the audio/ midi set-up you cannot choose this kind of input. Only see spec a headphone out is available.

By using Loopback I can select any program like Qubuz or iTunes  to act as input.

Using HqPlayer choosing Core and Qubuz as input and than  select realtime 44100 plays fine.

But we I intend to use higher bit artes like 96 or 192 (as available on Qubuz ) I must  change manually the frequency in real time audio. Somestimes I forget and than I play music in slow motion😳

Upgraded to 4.3.0 on my Mac Pro.  So far, no worries.  I also upgraded NAA to 4.0 and that is working well too.  I appreciate the extra information the new version provides.

@Miska, one question for you.  I have two Oppo DACs, a UDP-205 and a portable HA-2.  Since the HA-2 is getting older and the battery is worn, I use it now exclusively as a stand alone DAC that doesn't travel with me anymore.  The original specifications of both Oppo DACs were that they could do DSD256 in "native" mode.  The 205 broadcasts this ability correctly and both Roon and HQPlayer/NAA see this and respond accordingly.  But the HA-2 doesn't somehow and so both Roon and HQPlayer/NAA only allow DoP to this device, limiting DSD to 128.

I have tried DSD256 with JRiver on the HA-2 with success since you can literally force it to do so.  Is there any way to modify HQPlayer to handle this specific DAC feature?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

It works the same way as the earlier direct inputs. But now NAA can be used for input as well as output. Previously NAA was only capable of output (playback), but not input (capture/recording).

So now it is possible to have a network endpoint with ADC, S/PDIF or some other type of input.

Does this mean I can connect, e.g. using USB, a computer to the NAA which my HQP server sees as input, and have the server play back the input stream to - e.g. - the same NAA? Cool!