IGNORED

HQ Player

On 12/24/2019 at 8:02 AM, Hensema said:

is dithering needed when 32 bit is selected? I can understand why it’s beneficial when 16 bit is selected. The noise of the dac itself will “dither” on that high bitrates?

It's more effective to set the dither bit depth to the resolution of your DAC chip, or even 1 or 2 bits less.  I'm unaware of any DAC chip having better than 20-bit resolution, so setting Bits to 19 seems a reasonable place to start.  See this brief discussion:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/13649-hqplayers-network-audio-adapter/?do=findComment&comment=952886

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 12/25/2019 at 4:14 AM, StreamFidelity said:

It's worth checking the Signalyst site regularly:

The Visual Ping service can automatically check a website for changes at an interval you choose.  Checking one website every 12 hours or two websites every 24 hours is free.

https://visualping.io

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

@Miska sorry for bothering with something as foolish as this: I'm using version 4.1.0.1 on a Mac with OS X Sierra, but when I tried to use version 4.2 and newer, I couldn't. The disk image I downloaded from the site shows the HQPlayer Desktop app crossed over, as with a No Parking sign in any street. Must I update my system to something newer?

Thanks, regards,

L

6 hours ago, Lbameule said:

@Miska sorry for bothering with something as foolish as this: I'm using version 4.1.0.1 on a Mac with OS X Sierra, but when I tried to use version 4.2 and newer, I couldn't. The disk image I downloaded from the site shows the HQPlayer Desktop app crossed over, as with a No Parking sign in any street. Must I update my system to something newer?

Possibly due to minimum OS level being updated from 10.12 to 10.13... These are driven largely by the development tool updates as they drop support for older ones. I test HQPlayer only on latest and latest - 1.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

13 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The Visual Ping service can automatically check a website for changes at an interval you choose.  Checking one website every 12 hours or two websites every 24 hours is free.

https://visualping.io

If you subscribe to my Twitter feed, or HQPlayer Facebook-group you get notified for updates as they happen...

15 hours ago, ronnie.sengupta said:

i9 9900KS is not yet available in India. I could try upgrading from  my GTX 1080 to 2080, or wait till the processor becomes available in India.

9900KS is a limited special edition, mostly out of stock for example in Finland (no more coming). If it is not available now, it likely won't be ever. Normal 9900K should be regularly available already.

GTX1080 can also do quite a lot, just check that you have latest Nvidia driver version installed and enable CUDA offload in HQPlayer. Within same rate family, IIRC, GTX1080 can do all filters. From 48k-base to 44.1k-base DSD output, it is limited on my exprience, while RTX2080 managed to do for example xtr from 48k PCM to 44.1k x512 DSD (which is critical for many DACs since they don't support DSD at 48k-base rates).

18 hours ago, Jerry said:

Dear @Miska, since ESS9028Pro (or my DAP iBasso DX220) use software volume control, to get the best SNR/THD+N, I should set the DAP to maximum gain, maximum volume (putting the DAP in DAC mode), and control the actual music volume with HQplayer's volume control? Could you please also explain how the software volume control in HQPlayer is better than the DAC's implementation? As always, appreciate your great work!

What kind of output are you sending from HQPlayer to the DAC?

If there is a separate gain control, it likely affects the actual analog gain (like in many other DACs) and there it is best to use value where your volume control results in least attenuation. Because it is counter-productive to first have a lot of attenuation just to amplify the signal again in analog domain.

To me, digital ESS Sabre volume doesn't sound transparent, if I set it to 0 dBFS it sounds cleaner than when set to to some lower value. I don't have a straightforward explanation for it though. Maybe it is the limited resolution fixed point maths in Sabre vs the higher resolution floating point maths and dither/noise shaper in HQPlayer. But you can always compare yourself.

Note! Just like with all software, make sure that accidents with software volume (like accidental OS sounds like email notification playing to the DAC at full volume) cannot cause hearing or equipment damage. Unfortunately sometimes OS may decide to change the default audio output device for notifications or such. Or something else could happen.

5 hours ago, mfalcon said:

Which DACs do support 48k base rates for DSD?  Is it done by two separate chips/clocks?  Just curious.

For example Denafrips Terminator DAC. To my knowledge, this task is done by an FPGA chip (6BIT DSD). Two CRYSTEK CCHD-957 Femto Clocks are installed.

Dear Miska/Jussy,

Concerning Real Time Audio:  I use the Real Time audio functionality within HQ-player a lot for Apple Music and Qobuz. 

I intend to buy a new Mac Mini I7 2018. But the new Mac Mini’s don’t have an optical/toslink input anymore. 

I am now using my present Mac Mini I7 (2012) in a bridge configuration connected via ethernet with the Allo Bridge Signature, Uptone ISO Regen and my Pro-ject Dac S2 Ultra. Playing DSD 256 without any problems and the ASDM5EC as DSD 128.

Can you recommend an USB audio interface with a least one optical/toslink input which can be addressed by the OS Catalina Audio setup to HQ-Player as I using nowadays? 

Ps. I have tested recently an ESI U24 XL 24bit USB interface. I can connect but it gives a lot of distortion/stutter.  

I am no looking for a RME Digiface USB audio interface. But this is costing 5x more approx. €360,00. Ps. But I want to use the Real Time audio function within HQ-Player.... anyway. 

Due to the fact  I am streaming via Ethernet and don’t use a direct USB-connection with my Mac Mini I cannot use the RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-channel AD/DA converter which has the desired optical inputs.

Can you or someone  else suggest a suitable and proper working audio interface with  1x optical/toslink input suitable for Apple OS?

Regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 12/13/2019 at 12:59 AM, Miska said:

Did you try restarting HQPlayer after setting the built-in input as the input device? It could even require logging out and back in. How does it look like in Audio MIDI Setup?

If you search the web with something like "macos audio input permissions" you can find a lot about this issue which seems to be quite common and affects also Skype and Apple's own Logic software etc.

As last resort, something like this have helped some people:

https://www.mnott.de/fix-audio-problems-on-macos-mojave/

(note that you probably need to put "sudo" in front of that command)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/9lwyz0/mojave_not_privacy_settings_blocking_all_mic/

P.S. I may have an improvement that hopefully helps with this problem in upcoming release.

Dear Miska,

Was too busy the last 2 weeks. 

Will try coming days a new install on another Mac Mini which caused the problem that I could not assign the microphone to Hq-Player! To be continued. Regards Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 12/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, Miska said:

If you subscribe to my Twitter feed, or HQPlayer Facebook-group you get notified for updates as they happen

Facebook is undermining democracy and facilitating ethnic hatred all over the world.

16 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

@ambre:  Try the free demo of Rogue Amoeba "Loopback" to send realtime audio to HQP.  Although it is $100, a hardware solution probably would be more expensive.

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for this wonderful TIP. 😀

HQ-player is no running without any problem and I don't need any more devices like Apple Airport express with TosLink out  and a Mac mini with input iTosLink.

WONDERFUL and saves me a lot of money. Ps. The Amoebe program costs 120 US dollar instead 99.00 due to VAT charges.

Ps. Found in App Store made by Cherpak a wonderful Remote Control for Mac which gives full access to HQ-Player if not using the client and also iTunes / Music app for control etc.

MANY THANKS

Best regards, Andreas

On 12/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, mfalcon said:

Which DACs do support 48k base rates for DSD?  Is it done by two separate chips/clocks?  Just curious.

For example T+A DAC8 DSD, Holo Spring 2 and RME ADI-2 as an example. Yes, most devices with 44.1/48 support for PCM (and possibly also DSD) have separate clocks for the two families. Mostly ESS Sabre based and Chord rely on a single clock, with some exceptions for ESS Sabre based devices (some Mytek and Pro-Ject models).

44 minutes ago, Miska said:

For example T+A DAC8 DSD, Holo Spring 2 and RME ADI-2 as an example. Yes, most devices with 44.1/48 support for PCM (and possibly also DSD) have separate clocks for the two families. Mostly ESS Sabre based and Chord rely on a single clock, with some exceptions for ESS Sabre based devices (some Mytek and Pro-Ject models).

Thanks for the info.  I love my Holo Spring 1 but might upgrade one day soon.  I am annoyed by not being able to run options in HQP when I’m in the 48k rate family.  Plenty of things work great in 44.1 but stutter in 48.  I can upgrade cpu or DAC and it’s probably cheaper to get a new computer but I doubt it’s more fun.

Dear @Miska, Would you consider to offer a "prosumer" version of HQPlayer 4? With limited function of HQPlayer Pro to produce offline DSD512EC file BUT the offline file (is encrypted) could only be played by the encoding HQPlayer (linked to the software purchaser). Since realtime DSD512EC is a long way to go due to CPU constrain, this "prosumer" version could let all of us enjoy DSD512EC much earlier.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, Jerry said:

Just to reiterate, with proper cooling, a 6700K overclocked to 4.7G and a GTX1080 are enough to achieve EC variant DSD256 with the most demanding non-2s xtr filter for red book materials. Try to play around the HQPlayer settings and you will get there...

I am able to run 7EC with DSD 256 with GTX 1080 at 60% CPU and 60% GPU load. Much better! This runs without any dropouts.

I have tried everything, but can't seem to get ASDM7 + 512 with poly-sinc-xtr @ 512 DSD to work.  I am wondering if it would it help to upgrade to RTX 2080 or upgrade to i9 9700k processor instead.

PC (Roon +  HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge Sig + Shanti LPS | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 PSU| T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

I experience a new issue with latest 4.2.3. I use the new poly-sinc-long-lp which supposed to be less extreme then an the xtr.

It used to work well used CUDA overload. I try to use it again with multi processors off and cuda on and it gets stuck with high CPU and not GPU.

It worked just the day before but today it not. Something in the settings does not work well as previous version. Is there anything that I can do to make it works (using GPU) as expected?

For now I moved to ext2 which works well with both multi processors and CUDA on.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Miska said:

Possibly due to minimum OS level being updated from 10.12 to 10.13... These are driven largely by the development tool updates as they drop support for older ones. I test HQPlayer only on latest and latest - 1.

Yup, that was it. Upgraded to High Sierra and working fine. Thanks!

L

5 hours ago, ronnie.sengupta said:

I am able to run 7EC with DSD 256 with GTX 1080 at 60% CPU and 60% GPU load. Much better! This runs without any dropouts.

I have tried everything, but can't seem to get ASDM7 + 512 with poly-sinc-xtr @ 512 DSD to work.  I am wondering if it would it help to upgrade to RTX 2080 or upgrade to i9 9700k processor instead.

I have the 6700K lightly overclocked at 4.2 GHz and RTX2080 - it can do any rate to DSD512 using AMSDM7 modulator with only 25-30% CPU and minimal GPU load.  I am only converting within the same rate family.  Not sure if I ever tried converting families because I have a Lampizator with dual clocks.  Hope that helps.  

8 hours ago, ronnie.sengupta said:

Normally, if you could do DSD256EC, you should be able to do regular DSD512 easily, is the source red book? If it's HiRes then it requires a more power CPU...

When I am converting from redbook to DSD512 with Poly-sinc xtr. The CPU stays at ~45% and the GPU is at ~80%. If I turn off Cuda, the CPU goes up to 95%. These settings result in constant stuttering.

If I switch to xtr2 filters, then CPU usage is around 35% and 8% GPU - no dropouts.

PC (Roon +  HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge Sig + Shanti LPS | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 PSU| T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

8 hours ago, ronnie.sengupta said:

When I am converting from redbook to DSD512 with Poly-sinc xtr. The CPU stays at ~45% and the GPU is at ~80%. If I turn off Cuda, the CPU goes up to 95%. These settings result in constant stuttering.

If I switch to xtr2 filters, then CPU usage is around 35% and 8% GPU - no dropouts.

80% is around the edge of GPU capabilities, usually up to about 75% load it goes fine. But going over the desktop graphics rendering and having something like a web browser or Roon open can cause intermittent processing delays on the GPU causing stutter.

Is the 80% with conversion from 44.1k to 22.5792M or something else?

16 hours ago, sbenyo said:

I experience a new issue with latest 4.2.3. I use the new poly-sinc-long-lp which supposed to be less extreme then an the xtr.

It used to work well used CUDA overload. I try to use it again with multi processors off and cuda on and it gets stuck with high CPU and not GPU.

It worked just the day before but today it not. Something in the settings does not work well as previous version. Is there anything that I can do to make it works (using GPU) as expected?

If you use poly-sinc-long for converting between families, it can take a long time to initialize. Several minutes or hours, depending on machine and settings. Once it has been initialized once, and there are no changes, subsequent starts are faster. GPU is not used for initialization.

Did you use the same source rate + output rate combination today and the day before? The conversion ratio is what makes a huge difference (factor of several hundred in initialization times).