IGNORED

HQ Player

On 11/22/2019 at 8:25 PM, ambre said:

Miska / Jussy,

An additional question HQplayer is also usable between the several platforms. Ps. I cannot find this on your webpage.

HQPlayer is a high quality audio player for Windows, Linux and macOS

I.e.  Using Mac Book Pro  as Client and  PC with Ubuntu as  a Desktop? 

Yes, certainly, any combination between Client and HQPlayer is possible.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 11/22/2019 at 5:46 PM, Bob Stern said:

This reminds me of a minor question about the command line syntax.

What does "5" signify in the following command?  Why does it not work if I omit the "5"?

--set-transport 5 'audio:default/44100/2'

Number is type of transport, second argument is parameter for that transport.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, rowli said:

I currently use 
Roon > HQPlayer Desktop 4 (384kHz DRC Convolution filters. Upsample to DSD-256) -> NAA -> DAC
I have no problem sending all types of sample rate files through that chain.

Now I want to try a VST-plugin infront of HQPlayer realtime input, e.g
Roon > VST-Plugin > HQPlayer Desktop 4 (384kHz DRC Convolution filters. Upsample everything to DSD-256) -> NAA -> DAC

I will start and see if I can get automatic switching going with ASIO through the whole chain and set HQplayer to
"audio:default/0/2/pcm"
But probably the VST host and "virtual loopbacks" need a fixed sample or will upsample to a internal fixed value. But I have not tried.

So lets say I need a fixed value in HQPlayer realtime input.
How to think about this?

In Roon I have both 16/44k,48k and 24/96k files. Also some 192k and DSD files, but can live without those.

1. Should I config HQPlayer to
"audio:default/96000/2/pcm"
and upsample everything to 96k in Roon? Or better try to upsample to 384k in Roon when I have the Wav DRC Convolution filters generated in that sample rate?

2. If I upsample to 96k before HQplayer is it better to also generate and use 96k DRC Convolution Wav files in HQplayer?

3. Or is upsample before HQPlayer and then again inside HQplayer a bad idea "soundwise". So if automatic switching not working, better to set up to either play 44k or 96k files?

Do not do any rate conversion before input to HQPlayer. If automatic rate switching is not available, you should change the rate manually from HQPlayer.

That is likely downside of virtual loopbacks.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Number is type of transport, second argument is parameter for that transport.

Thanks for answer

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 11/21/2019 at 12:03 PM, StreamFidelity said:

I have moved the topic here because my question relates to HQPlayer.

What are the advantages of 10 cores or 20 threads if only 5-6 cores are used with the EC modulators?

More cores left to run filters. But on the other hand, adding cores usually decreases clocks speeds which in turn make modulators suffer. This can be worked around by using GPU to assist lower core count higher clock speed CPU.

I'm using EVGA Nu Audio card.  If I try to set SDM Pack to None, it always reverts to DoP.  @Miska what am I doing wrong?  This is on Windows 10 Version 1909 with HQPlayer Desktop.  Nu Audio firmware is Version 0.30.

Driver is 0.2.1.2.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Now I am using the T + A M10 power amplifier. This inevitably leads me to the question of what I do with my T + A PA 3000 HV, which is superfluous as power amplifier. The use as a preamp, which is possible, does not make sense. My Denafrips Terminator DAC has no preamp function.

So I have dealt with the volume control of the HQPlayer. Under settings I changed the bandwidth to 0 and -60dB. The volume control should be done via the HQPlayer client. The Denafrips Terminator is directly connected to the M10 Power Amplifier via XLR. 

The positive first:

Contrary to my previous experience, the digital volume control sounds really good. I have to keep testing.

Negatively, I noticed the operation of the HQPlayer client. The volume control is activated with a double-click and presents a bar. This starts with 0dB! I am glad to have moved the bar down quickly, otherwise I might have killed my speakers. Under settings, I have now changed the bandwidth from -10dB to -60dB. Miska, please change this design and always start with the lowest value, in my example with -60dB!

37293392yb.png

The digital volume control inevitably leads to loss of bits. At the moment I have nothing to complain about the sound. But I can see that the CPU usage at -35dB has almost halved. In opposed to -4dB (DSD 256 with EC7). Is that the result of the lost bits? Do I possibly lose valuable music content?

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

But I can see that the CPU usage at -35dB has almost halved. In opposed to -4dB (DSD 256 with EC7).

I am very sorry. Somehow I accidentally changed the setting to Non-EC AMSDM7 512 + fs. After changing to ASDM7EC the CPU load is the same as before. Nevertheless, I would be interested in how the HQPlayer has implemented the volume control.

New insights with the HQPlayer volume control: comfortable to use with Roon! The HQPlayer settings (bandwidth) are transmitted to Roon. Click on the speaker icon to open the Roon volume control.

37297343of.png

36 minutes ago, blue2 said:

Don't you mean NAD M10?

No, the device name is random. There its T+A M10 mono power amplifier right in the picture. On the left is the T+A PA 3000 HV integrated amplifier, of which only the preamplifier is needed.

37298004qd.jpeg

I am now testing whether I can do without a preamp, in which I use the volume control of the HQPlayers. 😉

On 11/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, rickca said:

I'm using EVGA Nu Audio card.  If I try to set SDM Pack to None, it always reverts to DoP.  @Miska what am I doing wrong?  This is on Windows 10 Version 1909 with HQPlayer Desktop.  Nu Audio firmware is Version 0.30.

Driver is 0.2.1.2.

Are you using ASIO backend/driver? That should represent native DSD. WASAPI backend doesn't support DSD, so through WASAPI DoP is the only way.

6 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I am now testing whether I can do without a preamp, in which I use the volume control of the HQPlayers. 😉

Hi Gabriel,

a kind of downsizing? 😮 Imagine you would have purchased the T+A SD 3100 HV (with integrated NAA!) instead of the Termi (and the Monos). Or the SDV 3100 HV. Now with your Monos you could sell the HV amp. 😉

Cheers,

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

On 11/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, ambre said:

Hallo Miska / Jusyy,

You wrote a few days ago " Some loopback software may work with the input feature. Another alternative is to use two computers or multiple audio interfaces and use the same input feature, but through S/PDIF.

Can you please specify which software you mean. And is it suitable on Apple iMac/ Mac mini too?

Ps. Nowadays I am using use the toslink iinput on my Mac mini bt maenad of Airport Express. 

Dear Miska / Jussy, can you please elaborate. Thanks in advance.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

23 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Negatively, I noticed the operation of the HQPlayer client. The volume control is activated with a double-click and presents a bar. This starts with 0dB! I am glad to have moved the bar down quickly, otherwise I might have killed my speakers. Under settings, I have now changed the bandwidth from -10dB to -60dB. Miska, please change this design and always start with the lowest value, in my example with -60dB!

The startup value is what HQPlayer server side has. And HQPlayer server remembers the last setting when started again. After clean installation it starts with minimum (-60 dB) value for the reason you stated.

There are two other ways to adjust the volume from Client. One is that you hold down left mouse button on top of the volume tumbler wheel and drag it up or down. Another is to use flick gestures.

23 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The digital volume control inevitably leads to loss of bits. At the moment I have nothing to complain about the sound. But I can see that the CPU usage at -35dB has almost halved. In opposed to -4dB (DSD 256 with EC7). Is that the result of the lost bits? Do I possibly lose valuable music content?

If you are using DSD output, there are no bits to be lost. Volume control doesn't directly affect CPU load, only in case you are hitting the limiter at higher settings.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

I have not tried any other loopback software ever than the ALSA's built-in loopback driver on Linux. So I have not much to comment on that front.

That’s a pitte. 🥴

Pitty

RME is coming out with the ADI-2 FS Dac soon.

It seems that it goes to 192 HZ not 354 like the original one did, thus enabling DSD 256 on Macs.

So will the FS Model not get DSD 256 on Mac?

That's the reason I would want to get one.

Disappointing if it drops the DSD 256/Mac.

The Pro FS  version has 384, but costs more, up to $ 2000, tho it's on sale for $1500.

Can Tech people check it out?

It's at B&H Photo, for one.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Are you using ASIO backend/driver? That should represent native DSD. WASAPI backend doesn't support DSD, so through WASAPI DoP is the only way.

Yes, I'm using ASIO backend.  I see my mistake now.  I was trying to set SDM Pack to none under the input device settings instead of the output device settings!  Sorry about that.

Do you know whether Nu Audio supports 48K DSD rates?  And what is an appropriate value for DAC bits on the Nu Audio card?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, rickca said:

Do you know whether Nu Audio supports 48K DSD rates?  And what is an appropriate value for DAC bits on the Nu Audio card?

Yes, at least on Linux it both works at 48k DSD rates and also seems to produce correct results as well.

Just leave DAC Bits at default (which should result in 32-bit). But that anyway matters only for PCM output modes.

54 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

RME is coming out with the ADI-2 FS Dac soon.

It seems that it goes to 192 HZ not 354 like the original one did, thus enabling DSD 256 on Macs.

So will the FS Model not get DSD 256 on Mac?

That's the reason I would want to get one.

Disappointing if it drops the DSD 256/Mac.

The Pro FS  version has 384, but costs more, up to $ 2000, tho it's on sale for $1500.

Can Tech people check it out?

It's at B&H Photo, for one.

I would be very surprised if it doesn't support up to 768/32 like the earlier Pro and DAC.

There could be some confusion though, because in "Class Compliant Multichannel mode" ADI-2 is max 192/32 PCM and DSD64. In "Class Compliant Stereo mode" ADI-2 is max 768/32 PCM and DSD256.