IGNORED

HQ Player

11 minutes ago, Rune said:

If you have >=5e then there is no need to "upgrade"

If you have problems it is most likely not your network cables.

i don't have any problems with audio i'm just wondering what type of network cable i should use as the switch/modem is on a different ac circuit than the naa is on, there's no marking indicating if it's a UTP/STP cable on the one i currently use. 

55 minutes ago, Yviena said:

@Miska what ethernet cable do you recommend for a NAA, i'm currently unsure if my existing cable is UTP or STP, would fibre ethernet converter also help, or is that overkill?

I have standard cheap CAT6 UTP cables. Difference is usually easy to recognize, STP has metal surface connector body, while UTP has fully plastic connector body.

Optical helps ensuring isolation, but how much it makes difference depends on the system and where/how it is used.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have standard cheap CAT6 UTP cables. Difference is usually easy to recognize, STP has metal surface connector body, while UTP has fully plastic connector body.

Optical helps ensuring isolation, but how much it makes difference depends on the system and where/how it is used.

Ahh okay seems like i have a UTP cable then.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, Miska said:

There is support for automatic switching, but it is not possible with WASAPI backend, because WASAPI in itself doesn't support slaved sample rates. ASIO does, but not all hardware/drivers support it though. For example USB Audio Class standard in itself doesn't support such fucntionality, but always assumes that computer explicitly sets some rate.

On Linux automatic switching works with RME ADI-2, because I've added support for the necessary custom controls to the driver.

Thank you for all the explanations.

Does that mean that If I used an ASIO loopback SW (that supports slaved sample rates), HQP would support automatic switching, meaning I could leave the sample rate field empty in audio: line? I am not sure there is such an asio loopback SW, but I can try a HW loopback with 2 asio HW devices.

Unfortunately both my DACs are Chord, and it is unlikely I can get another one. Also I'm currently on Windows.

The worst part is that VB-Audio loopback also requires to set the sample rate on both input and output device, so I have to set the sample rate on 3 different places each time.

In any case I am now an apologist of HQPlayer, so I have just bought today HQP Desktop, after only a few days of trial. Even though I just use PCM and Server (don't use any DSD feature, nor Client or networking), I still think it is worth the asking price.

I leave two additional suggestions for your consideration:

Input URI could remember all past used entries so that no retyping is needed and we could recall them just selecting in the pulldown list. There would be an option to clear the list.
That would make much easier to switch between the most used sample rates (44100, 48000, 96000), and even between input and local file.

Currently changing to another content (even just pressing the Browse button and Cancel immediately after) and all is lost. So even without the fixed sample rate issue, we need to retype the "audio:" full line after a Browse.

Not stop playing when Settings dialog is called. I would think nothing really happens (outside the dialog) by just calling Settings, we may even press Cancel. So playing would only stop if we actually press OK.

That would allow a very much faster switching between settings and therefore allow better comparison between settings (eg. filters, or upsampling rates). Also sometimes i just want to check settings (not changing), and playing stops.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, randytsuch said:

If you run hqp embedded, it supports upnp/dlna.  I think vlc also supports upnp also, so something might be possible. 

Before Jussi released Desktop version 4 with its streaming input, I tried configuring VLC as a UPNP server to stream to HQP Embedded.  I couldn’t figure out how to get VLC to work as a UPNP server.  If you get it to work, please post your findings.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 11/9/2019 at 1:40 PM, ericuco said:

I will have a go at explaining.

Oversampling 1x setting is used for 44.1 and 48 formats. Oversampling Nx setting is used for the higher resolutions of 44.1 (e.g. 88.2, 176.4) and 48 (e.g. 96, 192).

As for the 48k content, some DAC's like my Holo Cyan (DSD version) does NOT support 48 content. So, HQP will convert the 48k content into an appropriate 44.1k content before converting to DSD. Otherwise, HQP converts 44.1k content to the equivalent DSD (e.g. 2.8224 MHz) and the same for 48k (e.g. 3.072 MHz) content.

If your DAC does NOT support 48k content, you have to uncheck the one box (middle of the settings box) that talks about 48k DAC's.

If your DAC does support 48k content, check the box.

My dac supports 48K.So I check that box.What about adaptive output rate.Greyed,checked or blank ?

4 hours ago, pcmchild said:

Does that mean that If I used an ASIO loopback SW (that supports slaved sample rates), HQP would support automatic switching, meaning I could leave the sample rate field empty in audio: line? I am not sure there is such an asio loopback SW, but I can try a HW loopback with 2 asio HW devices.

Maybe it would work, but testing in that respect with ASIO is still a bit incomplete. Not so easy to find things that actually support the spec. For those cases you can put 0 as samplerate, but otherwise same as you normally would. 0 means detect.

Since ASIO conceptually doesn't support accessing multiple devices separately, I've been using ASIO for output and WASAPI for input. So no auto-detection. Way to have ASIO for both input and output would need another computer and NAA for the output side.

The worst part is that VB-Audio loopback also requires to set the sample rate on both input and output device, so I have to set the sample rate on 3 different places each time.

That is then another limitation of the loopback software. Setting sample rate is not much of an issue for me in most cases, because sources like Spotify are always 44.1k.

Input URI could remember all past used entries so that no retyping is needed and we could recall them just selecting in the pulldown list. There would be an option to clear the list.
That would make much easier to switch between the most used sample rates (44100, 48000, 96000), and even between input and local file.

The list is automatically filled up with the rates the input hardware reports to support.

1409739167_Screenshotfrom2019-11-2009-47-50.thumb.png.7521a2ffef432796256c319fc9f377a7.png

5 hours ago, pcmchild said:

Not stop playing when Settings dialog is called. I would think nothing really happens (outside the dialog) by just calling Settings, we may even press Cancel. So playing would only stop if we actually press OK.

That would allow a very much faster switching between settings and therefore allow better comparison between settings (eg. filters, or upsampling rates). Also sometimes i just want to check settings (not changing), and playing stops.

This is not possible, because it disallows device enumerations in various ways, for example of the device currently in use. For that reason HQPlayer Embedded only lists current device as "Current", because web interfaces are stateless (so you don't know when someone leaves the page).

You don't need to go to Settings dialog to change filters, rates and such. You do that from the Client or some other remote control. It used to be in the main window, but got removed because people didn't use it as intended. The ones you set in Settings dialog are only startup default values.

Current values are shown in the main window, or you can see them from the Client. But to change the values you need to be in stopped state.

28 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

My dac supports 48K.So I check that box.What about adaptive output rate.Greyed,checked or blank ?

Using constant output rate, like 44.1kx512 is many times desired, so for such case leave it blank. However, some filters allow only conversion to simple integer or power of two factors, so you can have rate automatically changed only for such cases, when also supported by the DAC, by setting it greyed.

To always stick to 44.1k -> 44.1k and 48k -> 48k family conversions, make it checked. However, this doesn't work with majority of DSD DACs out there (for what ever annoying non-understandable reason) because they don't support DSD at multiples of 48k.

When DoP is used (WASAPI, CoreAudio), DAC has no way of telling that it supports PCM at 48k multiples, but not DSD. Same for native DSD on Linux. For this reason there's that 48k DSD check box introduced in HQPlayer 4. To avoid accidentally using a rate that is not supported by the DAC which results either in silence (TEAC, Marantz), in distorted sound (Mytek), or playback at incorrect speed (Holo Spring 1). On Windows, ASIO driver usually has logic for this and it clearly tells that it only supports 44.1k rate multiples, because ASIO driver is typically device specific, so it can have knowledge about the device that the device itself cannot tell.

6 hours ago, rickca said:

Comet Lake desktop lineup from Intel has leaked.  This is still 14 nm, the 10 nm desktop timeframe is unknown.

So we will have 10 core/20 thread i9-10900K as the new top of the heap.  Really there's nothing all that exciting here over the current 9th generation desktops.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3084095/intel-comet-lake-s-desktop-processor-lineup-in-full

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For me it would be big news if they manage to keep 9900K-like clock speeds and again add another two cores. Like it's been 7700K -> 8086K -> 9900K(S)... Percentage wise the increase would get smaller, but still be relatively big.

I have moved the topic here because my question relates to HQPlayer.

What are the advantages of 10 cores or 20 threads if only 5-6 cores are used with the EC modulators?

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I have moved the topic here because my question relates to HQPlayer.

What are the advantages of 10 cores or 20 threads if only 5-6 cores are used with the EC modulators?

I have also been wondering why I see the recommendation to add at least a RTX 2080 GPU when a 8 core i9-9000K/KS in itself is more than enough for EC modulators.

11 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

Curious on this one also, until now I have not decided and currently eyeing the Ryzen 3950X. Also considering the i9-9900K/KS.

So which one will be fully utilized higher cores/thread or higher clock speeds? 3rd Gen ryzen I have read is finding it hard to maintain higher or overclocked speeds.

There is some threading problems with ryzen, and HQplayer, miska said he will purchase a 3950x so hopefully he can find the cause.

Also for some reason modulator CPU usage seems to go up if I go into HQP settings, and restart playback, only a pc restart seems to fix the increased usage, this is with corepinning enabled, and multi DSP checked, so no idea why it's like this.

So ideally 3700x/3800x/3900x/3950x is capable of playing EC7 DSD256 I've managed to get it to work.

2 hours ago, Yviena said:

So ideally 3700x/3800x/3900x/3950x is capable of playing EC7 DSD256 I've managed to get it to work.

I could not get EC7 DSD256 working on 3600X even when overclocking to 4300 the 6 cores should be sufficient and it clocks as high as 3700X and I need GPU assist when doing DSD512 non EC with demanding filters.

That is why I choose to go with intel i9-9900KS for my HQplayer server build instead of originally going for 3950X.

27 minutes ago, Rune said:

I could not get EC7 DSD256 working on 3600X even when overclocking to 4300 the 6 cores should be sufficient and it clocks as high as 3700X and I need GPU assist when doing DSD512 non EC with demanding filters.

That is why I choose to go with intel i9-9900KS for my HQplayer server build instead of originally going for 3950X.

3800mhz on ram definitely helps with ryzen, maybe you can try to overclock the ram to that value.

@Miska seems that the erratic CPU usage of the modulator could be tied to a issue with current Ryzen agesa, and sleep mode which a true restart seems to fix somewhat

Hi
I currently use 
Roon > HQPlayer Desktop 4 (384kHz DRC Convolution filters. Upsample to DSD-256) -> NAA -> DAC
I have no problem sending all types of sample rate files through that chain.

Now I want to try a VST-plugin infront of HQPlayer realtime input, e.g
Roon > VST-Plugin > HQPlayer Desktop 4 (384kHz DRC Convolution filters. Upsample everything to DSD-256) -> NAA -> DAC

I will start and see if I can get automatic switching going with ASIO through the whole chain and set HQplayer to
"audio:default/0/2/pcm"
But probably the VST host and "virtual loopbacks" need a fixed sample or will upsample to a internal fixed value. But I have not tried.

So lets say I need a fixed value in HQPlayer realtime input.
How to think about this?

In Roon I have both 16/44k,48k and 24/96k files. Also some 192k and DSD files, but can live without those.

1. Should I config HQPlayer to
"audio:default/96000/2/pcm"
and upsample everything to 96k in Roon? Or better try to upsample to 384k in Roon when I have the Wav DRC Convolution filters generated in that sample rate?

2. If I upsample to 96k before HQplayer is it better to also generate and use 96k DRC Convolution Wav files in HQplayer?

3. Or is upsample before HQPlayer and then again inside HQplayer a bad idea "soundwise". So if automatic switching not working, better to set up to either play 44k or 96k files?

thanks
Micke

ECdesigns UPL96ETL > ECdesigns DA96ETF > Linkwitz ASP.4 > 8 x Hypex NC400 > Linkwitz LX521.4

This reminds me of a minor question about the command line syntax.

What does "5" signify in the following command?  Why does it not work if I omit the "5"?

--set-transport 5 'audio:default/44100/2'

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 11/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, Miska said:

...which has been released today... :)

Realtime audio inputs in 4.2.0.🌤️ 

S U P E R😎

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hallo Miska / Jusyy,

You wrote a few days ago " Some loopback software may work with the input feature. Another alternative is to use two computers or multiple audio interfaces and use the same input feature, but through S/PDIF.

Can you please specify which software you mean. And is it suitable on Apple iMac/ Mac mini too?

Ps. Nowadays I am using use the toslink iinput on my Mac mini bt maenad of Airport Express. 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Miska / Jussy,

An additional question HQplayer is also usable between the several platforms. Ps. I cannot find this on your webpage.

HQPlayer is a high quality audio player for Windows, Linux and macOS

I.e.  Using Mac Book Pro  as Client and  PC with Ubuntu as  a Desktop?