IGNORED

HQ Player

22 minutes ago, clang said:

If I go from Desktop 4.0.3 to 4.1.1, would I be asked for the key again? I've accidentally deleted the file and I'm not sure I can have it sent again.

no only when you reinstall windows will it ask for key again i think, but you should still have the key in your inbox unless you decided to delete the email with the attachement...

4.1.1 Desktop is neither better nor worse than 4.0.1 on my 2012 i7 Mac Mini.  

As before, I can do ASDM7-EC and ASDM5-EC  at DSD128 but not 256.  (I can do non-EC versions of these modulators at 256.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I don't know what kind of optimization has been introduced in 4.1.1  but it stutters with any EC modulators and DSD128 xtr-i2s on my i5-4570S pc. 4.1.0 was ok instead, even using ASDM7EC in DSD128 xtr-i2s no stuttering even if cpu usage is very high (>60%)... 

So i agree with Yvlena: it seems a regression, at least for pc performance

What OS are you using if you see regressions? Stock Win 10 with High Performance or Ultimate Performace power profile? Please make sure you don't have any "OS optimization" products in use that could screw up HQPlayer operation, such as CPU core allocations...

With my i7-7700K, poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC work to DSD256. Single stage poly-sinc-xtr also almost works and with CUDA to RTX2080 it of course works.

Desktop 4.1.1 just syncs up with Embedded 4.11.2.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, callany said:

After upgrading to 4.1.1, the play becomes stuttering,After reinstalling 4.1.0.1, there is no problem.

My computer is   I7 4790,GTX980TI, poly-sinc-xtr + ASDM7EC work to DSD256.

Are you using CUDA? And no "optimizers"? Win10 is on latest 1903 update level? Or is this Linux?

4 hours ago, Miska said:

What OS are you using if you see regressions? Stock Win 10 with High Performance or Ultimate Performace power profile? Please make sure you don't have any "OS optimization" products in use that could screw up HQPlayer operation, such as CPU core allocations...

With my i7-7700K, poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC work to DSD256. Single stage poly-sinc-xtr also almost works and with CUDA to RTX2080 it of course works.

Desktop 4.1.1 just syncs up with Embedded 4.11.2.

Simply stock win10, no optimizations, no "optimizers", no power profiles selected (so i guess default), no gpu. 

But all conditions absolutely identical for 4.1.0 and 4.1.1

20 minutes ago, Luca72c said:

Simply stock win10, no optimizations, no "optimizers", no power profiles selected (so i guess default), no gpu. 

But all conditions absolutely identical for 4.1.0 and 4.1.1

Strange... And I assume thus you don't have "CUDA offload" enabled in settings either? Just Multicore DSP set to "Auto" (grayed)? Maybe Windows is misreporting CPU topology or something, but your CPU is quite straightforward quad core without hyperthreading. Can you check HQPlayer log file and tell what "CPU core mask" is reported?

You should be getting higher load on cores 0 and 2 and somewhat lower load on cores 1 and 3.

11 hours ago, Yviena said:

@Miska hmm seems that 4.1.1 is a regression atleast for me  with a 3700x + 3666mhz ram, changing nothing only enabling CUDA it stutters with ASDM7EC DSD256 EXT2, interestingly cpu usage is capped to 13% when .multicore DSP is Auto while checked on usage is 17.50% but still stuttering.

Do you have Win10 1903 with all latest updates? For 3700X you certainly need to have 1903, minimum.

And does CUDA become enabled? (status bar reporting "Offload filter: enabled")

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

Do you have Win10 1903 with all latest updates? For 3700X you certainly need to have 1903, minimum.

And does CUDA become enabled? (status bar reporting "Offload filter: enabled")

Yeah I have the latest windows 1903/1909, CUDA enabled no software optimisers, power plan set to high performance.

Checking the per thread usage seems fine as none of them are capping out reaching 100% etc but somehow it still stutters.

Even messing with core allocation doesn't reduce the stutters while in the previous build I could make it use only 3/4 cores, and it would still play ASDM7EC DSD256 fine.

Should I uninstall desktop 4.1.0 before installing 4.1.1?  Is this the preferred procedure?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Installed 4.1.1 = net no gain. Max 128 with ec modulator. Same as before. Fidelizer Pro 8.4 consumer level, no cpu core  option checked.

Cuda off load working, multicore working, Windows 10 v1903, i7 6700, 32 gb ram, nothing maxed out, temps 40 to 67 c . CPU volts 1.18 to 1.25. I will check the bios later for better power high powered power settings

2 hours ago, Yviena said:

Yeah I have the latest windows 1903/1909, CUDA enabled no software optimisers, power plan set to high performance.

Checking the per thread usage seems fine as none of them are capping out reaching 100% etc but somehow it still stutters.

Even messing with core allocation doesn't reduce the stutters while in the previous build I could make it use only 3/4 cores, and it would still play ASDM7EC DSD256 fine.

And the CUDA becomes active too?

HQPlayer has always been walking the CPU topology, but now it enforces different threads to different cores. Because otherwise sometimes OS scheduler was making stupid decisions and putting for example two modulators on the same core leading to inconsistent behavior. This, if you touch any of this, it will likely break HQPlayer even more than before.

Core allocation is different in case CUDA is enabled or disabled, regardless if it actually becomes active (because it happens before any CUDA stuff). HQPlayer is expecting for CUDA to become active when it is enabled from settings. However, if the driver for example is too old, it doesn't actually become active. Status bar message will tell whether it became active or not. (and you can see it also from nvidia-smi monitor display)

58 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

Ok Hqp4.1.1 resulted in higher cpu usage (around 90%) for dsd. I was running 49% with prior level of hqp.I am using ASDM7EC for 5.6m. I don't have cuda enabled. So if i try 11.2m it really stutters. Should 

i enable cuda? Tried cuda doesn't help. I am using W10 with latest update (1903).

You should only enable CUDA if you have new enough Nvidia GPU. Otherwise keep it completely disabled.

What CPU model is this? I have about 30% total load for poly-sinc-ext2 + ASDM7EC to DSD256 on i7-7700K.

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

And the CUDA becomes active too?

HQPlayer has always been walking the CPU topology, but now it enforces different threads to different cores. Because otherwise sometimes OS scheduler was making stupid decisions and putting for example two modulators on the same core leading to inconsistent behavior. This, if you touch any of this, it will likely break HQPlayer even more than before.

Core allocation is different in case CUDA is enabled or disabled, regardless if it actually becomes active (because it happens before any CUDA stuff). HQPlayer is expecting for CUDA to become active when it is enabled from settings. However, if the driver for example is too old, it doesn't actually become active. Status bar message will tell whether it became active or not. (and you can see it also from nvidia-smi monitor display)

Yeah CUDA is active I can verify it by checking actual GPU usage, and it does go up when using xtr so it seems to be working, Nvidia driver is the 436,xx branch so newest one.

But reverting to 4.1.0.1 everything is fine, With 4.1.1 it stutters without touching anything regarding core allocation, I do see the CPU usage in 4.1.1 maxes out at 18% while older build was using 19-22%.

Maybe when you did your optimizations depending on which CPU you used, could have led to regressions on AMD if for example you used Intel, probably hard to check without acquiring a 3700x/3900x.

1 hour ago, Yviena said:

Yeah CUDA is active I can verify it by checking actual GPU usage, and it does go up when using xtr so it seems to be working, Nvidia driver is the 436,xx branch so newest one.

But reverting to 4.1.0.1 everything is fine, With 4.1.1 it stutters without touching anything regarding core allocation, I do see the CPU usage in 4.1.1 maxes out at 18% while older build was using 19-22%.

Maybe when you did your optimizations depending on which CPU you used, could have led to regressions on AMD if for example you used Intel, probably hard to check without acquiring a 3700x/3900x

Looks like regressions are on Intel cpus, too... 

Admittedly I have a simpler set-up than most here, but this 4.1.1 w/ASDM5EC Mod and Polysinc-mqa-lp

( thanks for the recommendation, Miska!),

sounds completely awesome at DSD 128, on my iMac.

The 5 EC Mod has very tactile sound, more so than the 7EC on my set-up.

I recall it being said that the 5 Modulators were especially good for DSD 128 .

My Mytek 192/DSD Dac never sounded This good!

Haven't tried the others yet, but will eventually.

Maybe when the Luster wears off...

( NOT!)