IGNORED

HQ Player

On 4/30/2019 at 7:11 PM, Bob Stern said:

exaSound ASIO driver:

I previously reported that HQP4Desktop does not see the exaSound ASIO driver.

I just discovered that this also is true of the NAA.  It only sees Core Audio devices, not the exaSound ASIO driver, regardless of whether I'm using HQP3 or HQP4 to output to the NAA.

I'm waiting for this Exasound ASIO would work on HQP4 with Mac Mini.  Miska, please help.

4 hours ago, 57gold said:

Since I don't know what "realtime input feature" means nor any of the other stuff in the announcement on your site, I guess I don't need it? 

'Realtime input feature' means that you can redirect an audio stream from another source through HQPlayer. For example, you can send the output from Audirvana Plus or from the Web to HQPlayer for processing and rendering. It's 'realtime' for HQPlayer -- HQPlayer cannot perform computer file operations nor can HQPlayer replay the track.

mQa is dead!

14 hours ago, 57gold said:

Since I don't know what "realtime input feature" means nor any of the other stuff in the announcement on your site, I guess I don't need it?   

I use it to play all kinds of sources that are not otherwise supported through HQPlayer processing. Like Spotify. It is also useful if one want to spin silver discs in old school transport, but have HQPlayer upsampling. Or use external box like Bluesound Node 2 as a source.

If the new version had improved sonic performance, like some new filters or other upgrades that make playing my files sound better, as in more like live music...I'd step up.

Just like v3 did, v4 will gain new features over time. You can keep eye when something possibly interesting appears.

I'm OK dragging a file folder of a CD rip into HQP and hitting the play button.

For that use case, HQPlayer 4 Desktop is slimmer than v3.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 6/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, 57gold said:

Trying to find a concise description of HQP 4 versus the 3 that I have. 

Longtime user, paid for previous upgrade.  I do not stream stuff from Tidal or other online source, use a Mac Mini with a HD for music files, no additional stuff like EQ or convolution (whatever that is).  So wondering  what additional utility new version will have for a simple user like me?

Always willing to invest in better sonics, if new version offers meaningful improvements.  

Tried to find introductory posting of HQP 4 on this thread, but couldn't find it and generally do not understand what folks are talking about in a majority of the posts.  Simple guy as I said.

One thing I wish I could do would be to play files a higher level than DSD128, what I'm limited to with Mytek B+ and Quad Core Mac Mini?

download the trial and listen ; especially with DSD files, everyone I solicited as guinea pig chose 4 over 3

And if you're not enjoying a NAA yet, try Miska's Linux image (boot it on a spare PC or Mac ) and wonder. I have found 4 to perform perfectly, hence better than 3 in my configuration, in that regard.

4 hours ago, Yviena said:

@Miska which DAC filter do you recommend using when sending upsampled PCM as I don't think 768khz bypasses it, the filters in the matrix sabre pro are the same one's listed here, http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/06/measurements-oppo-udp-205-part-1-output.html?m=1

Would either apod or fast linear phase be best?

At least on Pro-Ject S2D, 705.6/768k bypasses digital filters, so possibly also on other devices. But fast linear phase is safe bet just in case.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

At least on Pro-Ject S2D, 705.6/768k bypasses digital filters, so possibly also on other devices. But fast linear phase is safe bet just in case.

Yeah just looked at the frequency response of the apod filter it looks weird...

4 hours ago, rando said:

Juuuuuussi

You don't have to put on the blue light

Those days are over

You don't have to sell more copies through the fight

Juuuuuussi

x-D

Apologies to the quoted if they feel inopportuned by my humor.

Roxanne is a.... forget it. Your humor is strange.

Cucumber and Another - Thanks for the input. 

Have appreciated HQP's innovation, and in fact just recommended it on a guitar forum that has a conversation sub forum on personal audio systems.  Not unwilling to support progress, but if the progress is stuff that I'll never use...as Pete in "Oh Brother Where Art Though" says with enthusiasm, "that don't make no sense!"

For my part, I need a CA (or more accurately, a computer tech) for dummies lesson as I do not understand what a NAA is nor what an image is in this context. Have a decent 2 core Mac Mini I do not use as the quad core took over audio duties, but not sure what " try Miska's Linux image" means never mind how to do such a thing.  From my perusal of these pages, I'm guessing that having one computer do the calcs and another (that isn't sweating hard, generating noise and stuff) send the files to the DAC sound better, but seems like overkill unless its easy.   I screen share to a dedicated Mac mini now and have enough issues making screen sharing work (every time there is an OS update stuff gets boogered), so having two Macs to mess with seems like a big PITB.

Interested in better sounding music and if there is a simple way to get there, foolproof for knuckleheads like me, I'd be in.

Thanks again guys and Jussi for sharing his genius.

Tone with Soul

I just use HQ with iMac, drag and drop.

Sounds great, have no interest in doing the NAA thing, more gear, complexity.

Most computer jargon goes over my head anyway,

I get DSD 128, very happy with it.

It always works, that's a big one for me.

HQ 4 is totally worth it for me.

26 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Cucumber and Another - Thanks for the input. 

Have appreciated HQP's innovation, and in fact just recommended it on a guitar forum that has a conversation sub forum on personal audio systems.  Not unwilling to support progress, but if the progress is stuff that I'll never use...as Pete in "Oh Brother Where Art Though" says with enthusiasm, "that don't make no sense!"

For my part, I need a CA (or more accurately, a computer tech) for dummies lesson as I do not understand what a NAA is nor what an image is in this context. Have a decent 2 core Mac Mini I do not use as the quad core took over audio duties, but not sure what " try Miska's Linux image" means never mind how to do such a thing.  From my perusal of these pages, I'm guessing that having one computer do the calcs and another (that isn't sweating hard, generating noise and stuff) send the files to the DAC sound better, but seems like overkill unless its easy.   I screen share to a dedicated Mac mini now and have enough issues making screen sharing work (every time there is an OS update stuff gets boogered), so having two Macs to mess with seems like a big PITB.

Interested in better sounding music and if there is a simple way to get there, foolproof for knuckleheads like me, I'd be in.

Thanks again guys and Jussi for sharing his genius.

NAA might seem to be mysterious for one who never tried. Ok, you have mac mini with HQPlayer Desktop on it. Is it connected to hardwired network? If yes, you may connect to the same network any other computer booted from USB stick flashed with small NAA image which could be obtained from Miska's site. Etcher is a free app which could "flash" NAA image to USB stick. You connect your DAC to the second computer booted from USB stick. If everything done correct you will "see" NAA in the output list in your HQPlayer Desktop on mac mini. Select it. Your music might sound different now. If you like the result you may consider getting small budget computer for using as NAA endpoint, or making your own DIY computer for the same purpose, or buying dedicated commercial product from Sonore or SOtM. Of course, if you are completely happy with the present sound of your system, it is not necessary to go into this.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Superdad said:

For the ability to use other s/w as the player front end/library manager.

Hi 

I have been looking for an IOS control for HQPlayer.

Has anybody used Audirvana Remote to play through HQPlayer4. If it works I can justify the upgrade cost.

Regards

Carl

18 hours ago, Carl Mawer said:

Hi 

I have been looking for an IOS control for HQPlayer.

Has anybody used Audirvana Remote to play through HQPlayer4. If it works I can justify the upgrade cost.

Regards

Carl

Here are some notes provided with the A+ remote app for iOS:

"Please note that Audirvana Plus must be running on a Mac or PC connected to your local WiFi network:

• Audirvana Plus for Mac at least version 2.2, preferably 3.1 or later

• or Audirvana Plus for Windows 10 version 1.1 or later"

Therefore, it will not work with HQPlayer.

You can use HQPDcontrol for Android to control either HQPlayer Desktop or HQPlayer Embeded.

Also, I believe you can use an UPnP/DLNA remote -- mconnect for iOS and USB Audio Player Pro for Android -- with HQPlayer Embedded.  As well, you can use HQPlayerd Controller app for Android with HQPlayer Embeded.  Perhaps @Miska can confirm?

mQa is dead!

Would appreciate everyone's view on the pros and cons of below three filters:

1) poly-sinc-ext2, apparently this is Jussi's favourite and it's Apod;

2) closed-form- 16M, from the computational point of view, it has to be good right? :P

3) sinc-M, less computation heavy and comes with Apod.

I'm mainly using Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> sinc-M -> AMSDM7 512+fs -> DSD512, and the main source is 44.1kHz lossless red book of classical and indie. My hardware is iBasso DX220 feeding to Astell&Kern Beyerdynamic AK T1p. 

I have a relatively powerful PC running HQPlayer, so would like to fully utilises the computational power to improve the sound quality. What would be everyone's favourite filter setting?