IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, jimdukey said:

The Head of Mytek told me that they only do DSD 128 on Macs.

The Mytek can only do up to DSD128 on the Mac OS.  This is because Mytek never delivered a driver for the Mac OS and, therefore, the DAC must use the DoP method  (which takes twice the resources vs native DSD) with Mac OS.

However, if you load Windows on your Mac, then the Mytek can do DSD256. 

mQa is dead!

15 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't remember the technical details of it, but I remember that it performs extremely well.

It depends on the purpose, there are many possible ways to do it. In most cases, same software tools used for loudspeaker systems work with headphones too.

I'm looking for open source tools like Octave, etc on linux.  I am not doing eq but wanting to create HRTF files, any hints on where to start? 

Also what are your thought on the wavpack format for dsf, any plans to support it?  I know disk space is cheap but the checksum and replaygain features could have some value?

1 hour ago, audiofool said:

I'm looking for open source tools like Octave, etc on linux.  I am not doing eq but wanting to create HRTF files, any hints on where to start? 

Octave for example works fine, or DRC-FIR which uses Octave. REW is not open source, but works on Linux too.

1 hour ago, audiofool said:

Also what are your thought on the wavpack format for dsf, any plans to support it?  I know disk space is cheap but the checksum and replaygain features could have some value?

Maybe at some point. However, replay gain is not supported by HQPlayer. And I don't generally like it because it is one form of dynamic range compression.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Limitation is practically due to maximum PCM sampling rate of 352.8/384k. For example iFi iDAC2 works at it's maximum DSD rate on Mac through DoP when flashed with the special firmware version that adds 705.6/768k PCM rate, although it will go silent if you try to play PCM at those rates. ADI-2 works at both 705.6/768k PCM and DSD256 (with DoP) on Mac.

DoP sampling rate is the PCM sampling rate x16, because 16 bits are packed into a PCM sample (and 8 marker bits).

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Octave for example works fine, or DRC-FIR which uses Octave. REW is not open source, but works on Linux too.

Maybe at some point. However, replay gain is not supported by HQPlayer. And I don't generally like it because it is one form of dynamic range compression.

Thanks, I will check them out - I haven't been able to find any tutorials on creating the crossfeed type filters but I will keep looking. 

My idea for replaygain would be to use the tag value  as a reference to preset the volume per song or album not to modify the original file in any way.  Not sure I understand how it is dynamic range compression?

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Limitation is practically due to maximum PCM sampling rate of 352.8/384k. For example iFi iDAC2 works at it's maximum DSD rate on Mac through DoP when flashed with the special firmware version that adds 705.6/768k PCM rate, although it will go silent if you try to play PCM at those rates. ADI-2 works at both 705.6/768k PCM and DSD256 (with DoP) on Mac.

DoP sampling rate is the PCM sampling rate x16, because 16 bits are packed into a PCM sample (and 8 marker bits).

Just picked up the RME ADI-2 - menus are currently a puzzle to be solved!

Macmini, uRendu, NAA, HQP via Roon (worked ok with ifi micro dsd dac).

Thought I had set it to DSD Direct, but both HQP (3.25.3) & ADI-2 show conversion to pcm (2.8224M to 705.6k) ... suggestions for a quick fix, or ...?

Need to output  pcm to dsd256 as well - change there is just in settings?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Thought I had set it to DSD Direct, but both HQP (3.25.3) & ADI-2 show conversion to pcm (2.8224M to 705.6k) ... suggestions for a quick fix, or ...?

Need to output  pcm to dsd256 as well - change there is just in settings?

You have DoP enabled and you are asking SDM output in the main window?

17 hours ago, Miska said:

You have DoP enabled and you are asking SDM output in the main window?

That was it! HQP now outputs sdm 11.2896M.

Apparently not required with the iFi idsd?

But, adi-2 still displays 705.6pcm? Another setting, or ... ?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

That was it! HQP now outputs sdm 11.2896M.

Apparently not required with the iFi idsd?

But, adi-2 still displays 705.6pcm? Another setting, or ... ?

ADI-2 just always says what PCM rate is coming in, it won't say about DSD. If HQPlayer says it outputs DSD and nothing happens when you try to adjust volume on ADI-2, then you have DSD Direct working correctly. You have also option to select between the 50 and 150 kHz DSD filters on ADI-2.

Again thanks, vol control not adjustable, so confirms dsd direct is good. Had selected 150kHz, to go with ASDM5.

I've tried a lot of times. but I can't play 24/352.8 DXD and DSD512 files resampled to DSD512(or DSD256)in HQPlayer 4, while I can do so in HQPlayer 3

I just want those file to play through HQPlayer. At that sample rate, I wouldn't mind HQPlayer just pass through the file. It's very annoying to switch zones in roon just to play DXD or DSD512, or to launch HQPlayer 3

1 hour ago, colin19872003 said:

I've tried a lot of times. but I can't play 24/352.8 DXD and DSD512 files resampled to DSD512(or DSD256)in HQPlayer 4, while I can do so in HQPlayer 3

I just want those file to play through HQPlayer. At that sample rate, I wouldn't mind HQPlayer just pass through the file. It's very annoying to switch zones in roon just to play DXD or DSD512, or to launch HQPlayer 3

How does your settings look like?

3 hours ago, 57gold said:

Wondering  what additional utility new version of HQ Player will have for a simple user like me?

New features are listed on front page of the website. Initial features are in the first announcement, and subsequent ones will be listed as they come out... I'm not sure what to answer. Like if the input feature is additional utility for you or not, I just don't know...

3 minutes ago, colin19872003 said:

20190621034051.thumb.png.a78b6d19537180993ff92ec648307431.png

On an another note, I just got DXD working by turning off 48k DSD, change everything to 44.1 based. Still no dice on dsd512 though

I don't spot anything obvious here right now. Can you email me HQPlayer log file of the cases that fail to play?

8 hours ago, Miska said:

New features are listed on front page of the website. Initial features are in the first announcement, and subsequent ones will be listed as they come out... I'm not sure what to answer. Like if the input feature is additional utility for you or not, I just don't know...

Since I don't know what "realtime input feature" means nor any of the other stuff in the announcement on your site, I guess I don't need it?   

If the new version had improved sonic performance, like some new filters or other upgrades that make playing my files sound better, as in more like live music...I'd step up. 

But, I don't have time to monkey with/spend a bunch of time manipulating stuff, playing with a data base of albums, tweaking stuff for each recording in my files...I'm OK dragging a file folder of a CD rip into HQP and hitting the play button.

Tone with Soul