IGNORED

HQ Player

Also, on a straight-ahead practical ‘sonics for listening’ using hqp at 256-512, is the rme adi-2 an upgrade on the idsd micro bl?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

22 hours ago, Miska said:

We are talking about different thing here... None of the ESS models have DSD Direct -type support. TI/BB chips do that always, while some Cirrus Logic chips have "Direct DSD" mode to do the same. DSD Direct is a mode in AKM DAC chips that passes DSD data straight to the D/A conversion section without DSP processing. On RME ADI-2 this is switchable with implication that volume control disappears and output level becomes fixed at -3.5 dB level (and for safety reasons corresponding headphone output is muted). On TEAC UD-503/NT-503 the DSD Direct mode is always enabled and volume control is available since it is implemented separately in analog domain.

Direct SDM in HQPlayer is similar functionality, but earlier stage.

I would put TI/BB chips in the "warm" category, AKM in the middle and ESS&CirrusLogic to "cold" category. But when you can run chips in direct mode, the difference becomes smaller.

Thank you for clarifying.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

18 hours ago, Yviena said:

Yeah that's the same model I was looking at, do you find a big difference with sending 768khz PCM vs DSD256/512 with hqplayer?

No, not huge differences but notable: Outputting SDD256 from HQPlayer to this DAC produces a very refined sound, whereas PCM seems to have a bit more "life." Overall I prefer DSD and while PCM gives me a fun jolt it can be a tad more fatiguing for long listening sessions. YMMV.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

I used to use eq apo to do eq corrections on my headphone systems and now trying the convolution engine in hqplayer. hqplayer takes a wav file of ir, so i exported my eq setting from apo, used holmimpulse(any other recent softwares you can recommend to replace this old software?) to convert it to ir wav file. Then I saw some options i don't understand.

i can choose either export as 32 bit pcm or 32 bit float. which one can hqplayer take? do they have any difference in hq convolution? in this software there seems to be no option to choose the sampling rate for the output file. what will hqplayer do with unmatched sampling rate in ir file and music file? does the convolution also enabled for dsd source files?

21 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Also, on a straight-ahead practical ‘sonics for listening’ using hqp at 256-512, is the rme adi-2 an upgrade on the idsd micro bl?

I would say yes, although it is 2x the price or a bit more too. But of course it is subjective. (objectively it is anyway)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 6/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, Yviena said:

@Miska Continuing from my previous questions, regarding non DSD direct chips though , does the influence of the inbuilt modulator greatly reduce when sending DSD512/256 or will it still greatly influence the sound?

To some extent you have some "masking". With ESS sending DSD is still quite different from sending any PCM.

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

To some extent you have some "masking". With ESS sending DSD is still quite different from sending any PCM.

I see i just purchased the matrix sabre pro, but i still have the RME on the 60 day trial period, so i get to compare it with DSD direct vs sabre matrix pro with DSD256/512 upsampling, though i believe they will probably sound close with maybe the matrix sabre out edging it out a little in details due to sabre dac slightly colder signature, and DSD512 support. 

Hey Guys, need some help here. I have a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I've been using the ASIO madiface driver with no issues. I was messing with the settings on the dac and all of a sudden I couldn't get any playback. I reset the dac, uninstalled the madiface driver, reinstalled and still nothing. The madiface isn't showing up in my "sound" panel either. I'm running windows 10.

Here's my last setting that was working perfectly. I'm stumped. Please help!!

Thanks,

Spencer

HPPlayerSettings_ADI_ASIO_051919_JussiMiskaApproved_AdaptiveOutputRate_Final.jpg

31 minutes ago, sdmarquart said:

. The madiface isn't showing up in my "sound" panel either. I'm running windows 10

what output are you using? the dsd direct output in the dac setting will mute all headphone outputs.

i assume you mean you can playback in hqplayer but not in windows10?

i found that windows cannot use adi2dac if the madi setting is higher than 96khz. so i will have to manually set it to lower than 96khz everytime after a hqplayer section to use it for windows output again.

Hey! Thanks. I use the SDM setting to output everything at DSD - not DSD direct. I got it working fine. It was just acting weird. I get confused cause the ASIO madiface setting isn’t in the actual sound panel settings. I’ve got it working correctly at the settings of the HQP screenshot I posted. Appreciate the reply but all good!

Thanks,

Spence

9 hours ago, Yviena said:

I see i just purchased the matrix sabre pro, but i still have the RME on the 60 day trial period, so i get to compare it with DSD direct vs sabre matrix pro with DSD256/512 upsampling, though i believe they will probably sound close with maybe the matrix sabre out edging it out a little in details due to sabre dac slightly colder signature, and DSD512 support. 

Congrats, Yviena. I look forward to your comparative listening impressions with HQ Player outputting DSD versus PCM  to these DACS

On 6/4/2019 at 5:09 PM, bobflood said:

Jussi, 

Since 4.0.4 I have been having problems with playback suddenly stopping. I know that 4.0.4 includes some NAA changes but I don't know if this is the cause. It has become very sensitive to the buffer setting. Too high or low and playback won't start. At 50ms it does work but will still stop without apparent reason.

I have both Roon and HQP together on a Win 10/1903 machine. This machine has a Z370i MB (Turbo and Performance Modes engaged), i5 8400 6 Cores (clocked to 3.8Ghz) and 16GB RAM.

Are there any Ethernet settings that could be involved such as TX and RX buffers?

I am hoping this will be resolved with 4.0.5. I did not have an issue with 4.0.3.

Thanks,

Bob

Jussi - I have this problem too (running 4.0.4) and auto for the buffer.  With an ultra rendu NAA via a bridged ethernet/thunderbolt adapter, and a direct wired ethernet run to the NAA.

Sometimes, the fault takes the entire mac mini off network forcing a re-boot.  Very strange.

N

Hi,

Is there a new manual describing the changes between versions 3 and 4. It seems that some of the filters have been renamed. Or not available anymore. If the filters have new names can we have a list of what’s been changed. Very difficult to obtain the same results if the filters name’s are changed. For example what happened to polysinc 2s?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

3 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

Jussi - I have this problem too (running 4.0.4) and auto for the buffer.  With an ultra rendu NAA via a bridged ethernet/thunderbolt adapter, and a direct wired ethernet run to the NAA.

Sometimes, the fault takes the entire mac mini off network forcing a re-boot.  Very strange.

N

Nikko,

I realized that for me this problem also coincided with the Win 10/1903 update so I thought it might have something to do with a change in Windows. With some experimentation, I found that leaving the multi-core setting in HQP completely unchecked and a buffer of 10ms works on my machine (i5 8400 @3.8Ghz). You could give it a try and see. These things tend to be machine sensitive.

Good Luck,

Bob

11 hours ago, paboccardi said:

Hi, I have a problem with Hqplayer v3 (3.25.4). After windows update (2019-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4494440)), the software does not open, and I do not see any error message. 

If you updated Windows after you installed 3.25.4, you might want to try uninstalling HQPlayer and reinstalling 3.25.4. This has worked for me in the past after a Windows Update has somehow disabled the proper operation of HQPlayer.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

33 minutes ago, Allan F said:

If you updated Windows after you installed 3.25.4, you might want to try uninstalling HQPlayer and reinstalling 3.25.4. This has worked for me in the past after a Windows Update has somehow disabled the proper operation of HQPlayer.

I tried several times but without results: I also tried to reinstall Windows in a new partition and nothing. I tried Hqplayer in a laptop with the same Windows version and It works...

On 6/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, PoRidge said:

I used to use eq apo to do eq corrections on my headphone systems and now trying the convolution engine in hqplayer. hqplayer takes a wav file of ir, so i exported my eq setting from apo, used holmimpulse(any other recent softwares you can recommend to replace this old software?) to convert it to ir wav file. Then I saw some options i don't understand.

i can choose either export as 32 bit pcm or 32 bit float. which one can hqplayer take? do they have any difference in hq convolution? in this software there seems to be no option to choose the sampling rate for the output file. what will hqplayer do with unmatched sampling rate in ir file and music file? does the convolution also enabled for dsd source files?

can anyone help on this?

16 hours ago, sgr said:

Hi,

Is there a new manual describing the changes between versions 3 and 4. It seems that some of the filters have been renamed. Or not available anymore. If the filters have new names can we have a list of what’s been changed. Very difficult to obtain the same results if the filters name’s are changed. For example what happened to polysinc 2s?

lp 2s, same filter as all the filters that have always been lp ; but now it says  in their name

On 6/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, PoRidge said:

Room Eq Wizard can be also used to turn several parametric eq settings into WAV impulse response. But if your current software works fine, no need to change it.

HQPlayer can accept 16, 24 and 32-bit PCM (integer) and 32- and 64-bit float. If possible, I'd recommend using the float formats, but 32-bit integer vs 32-bit float likely doesn't make much difference in this case.

HQPlayer will scale the impulse response to match the source sampling rate. And yes it works also for DSD source files (but can easily take a lot of CPU/GPU power to process).

6 hours ago, PoRidge said:

thanks for the response. would it be better to prescale the wav to a higher rate to safe computing power at application?

It is best to export the filter at highest possible sampling rate, so that HQPlayer only scales it down when necessary. But in a way that there's no need to use "HF Expand". For example 352.8/384 kHz is good, because then the filter already covers all possible source frequency content without further massaging.

If the filter design application doesn't support high output sampling rates, it is not so much of a problem though, no need to worry too much about it.

Just FYI AMD announced the 16C 32T next gen Ryzen on E3 with 3950x to be release september all others july

official list now are:

AMD 'Matisse' Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs
AnandTech Cores
Threads
Base
Freq
Boost
Freq
L2
Cache
L3
Cache
PCIe
DDR4 TDP Price
(SEP)
Ryzen 9 3950X 16C 32T 3.5 4.7 8 MB 64 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $749
Ryzen 9 3900X 12C 24T 3.8 4.6 6 MB 64 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $499
Ryzen 7 3800X 8C 16T 3.9 4.5 4 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $399
Ryzen 7 3700X 8C 16T 3.6 4.4 4 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 65W $329
Ryzen 5 3600X 6C 12T 3.8 4.4 3 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 95W $249
Ryzen 5 3600 6C 12T 3.6 4.2 3 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 65W $199

Im all set with 3900x, but then the 3950x announced, will HQP benefit with the extra 4 cores?