IGNORED

HQ Player

3 hours ago, micheloupatrick said:

I was ready to upgrade to HQP desktop 4 but I have a short crackling/popping sound at the beginning of the playback : it 's actually quite loud (and seemingly independent from the volume setting) and sometimes happens when I stop the music too. Playback is otherwise fine but I can't upgrade for now with such an issue.

Everything was fine with HQP desktop 3 : source is Roon, DAC is a Luxman DA-06. Ubuntu 18.04 on an Intel NUC.

This is a Linux specific bug in DoP code that has been fixed, I'm nearing 4.0.4 release...

Luxman could probably also work without DoP, so you could possibly avoid the problem already. Are you using my custom kernel build?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

FC10 has very nice rack chassis:
External Dimensions: 435 x 319 x 100mm (W x D x H, 109mm including feet). But I don't understand why PCIe outlets are transverse. Without riser cable there is nothing running.

spacer.png

That's why I ordered FC9.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

That's why I ordered FC9.

spacer.png

But those are slim card slots?

In FC10 I have the ZF240 power mounted on one side and CPU mounted on the other side. I usually don't have cards, but I tried to use RME HDSPe AIO with riser, but couldn't find a riser that would work properly.

But those are slim card slots? => Yes, no problem for me. 2 Jcat boxes (USB / NET) come in.

I usually don't have cards, but I tried to use RME HDSPe AIO with riser, but couldn't find a riser that would work properly. => The shorter the signal paths, the better. That's why I avoid cables wherever possible.

33 minutes ago, micheloupatrick said:

No I'm using the stock kernel : I was afraid it would somehow interfere with Roon (running on the same computer).

I doubt it would, and if you install mine side by side with the original, you can select which one you want to boot from the grub boot menu.

If you'd like to continue using stock kernel, you could check that you are using the "hwe" (hardware enablement) kernel series, which is at the moment version 4.18.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:16 AM, Superdad said:

Alternating between HQ Player Embedded disk images 4.9 and 4.10-- 4.9 finds the NAA>SingxerSU-1; 4.10 does not.  @Miska let me know if you want to see log files.

Still would just like to get one track to play.  Can't even figure out how to play a file from a thumb drive plugged directly into the HQPe machine. Choosing "Removable Media" on the Input screen and pressing Select just reverts to "Playlist."  And on Library screen there is no ability to browse local or network volumes to Scan and build a library.  I don't know what the path "/run/media/sdb1" should be changed to get at a drive.

And if I launch Client on my desktop screen, typing the HQP Embedded's IP address into the top-left bar (in place of localhost) does nothing.

I tested Embedded.... I was counting my money for 4 but might end up having to spend even more for Embedded some day. Very much worth trying. Need to further investigate, only had 3 test tracks on an old FAT32 usb stick.

Now the issues (4.9):

atrocious scorching screeching sounds at launch and after last track ends

can't foresee a future where I draw from my  pluri TB wifi HDd to my EXFAT HDD, go to my Windows machine, transfer to a FAT32, go to the Linux machine (Mac)  : need to access my Music Drive, at least by the ethernet cable plugged into the Linux machine

Need to solve the situation where the usb stick with Embedded is on the same USB HUB than the usb adaptor for ethernet (plus the usb stick with music files at the moment)

I was less happy when I went WIFI, instead of wired, with the antique Windows laptop running Vista Pro and the web interface and containing as well my convolution files. Navigation seems easy (especially compared to access to the music files) but I could not see either the Linux machine nor the directly attached to it stick with the music files when I tried to put the convolution files there or there.

Might have just been fatigue or the stress due to the return of my fiancée (horrible music, too loud, blabla)... Nevertheless @Miska, where are the convolution files best put? btw it's weird not to see any longer the names of the convolution files once "Apply" has been pressed.

6 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Might have just been fatigue or the stress due to the return of my fiancée (horrible music, too loud, blabla)... Nevertheless @Miska, where are the convolution files best put? btw it's weird not to see any longer the names of the convolution files once "Apply" has been pressed.

They are stored internally to a data folder and renamed to avoid various problems that could otherwise arise through the use of web based upload.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I'm thinking more about the equipment rack friendly FC10 which is rated for 65W TDP. Now I'm using it with Intel T-series 35W TDP CPU's and it gets barely warm when doing DSD512.

Yeah but the db4 no fans some people have been able to make it work, I will look into the fc10 regardless since you mentioned it, when you start adding more taps the tdp should increase 

1 minute ago, Miska said:

They are stored internally to a data folder and renamed to avoid various problems that could otherwise arise through the use of web based upload.

was fiancee stress then! despite the mess with the hub I was really impressed, embarrassed too : came to think of DSD files by 3 as a joke compared to 4 but then again the one DSD file (Pollini/Beethoven's 30 on Esoteric SACD) I had to test was extremely different with Embedded with a soft yet detailed mid bass rich and articulate piano sound and even if I try to think of 4 as bringing more air more vivid I was just hooked by Embedded's mate rich relaxed sound.

unfortunately Client (4) is not compatible with Vista but will try 4.10 anyway. Any suggestion to solve the other issues I described are welcome

1 hour ago, Miska said:

can't further report about SQ and was listening at very low level with the so charming but so "chiante" fiancée reading by my side but 4.10.1 seems to have dealt with the screeching scorching atrocious sounds issue 

If I decide to go Embedded the Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor should get rid of the usb clutter provided I can access my main drive... 

21 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

My understanding is that HQ Player 4.03 Desktop has no specific MQA capabilities, so I assume the inclusion of poly-sinc-mqa filters is for those who output to an MQA capable DAC. My DAC is not, and I'm not very interested in MQA frankly, but I do have a few FLAC downloads with MQA encoding. 2 related playback questions:

1. Does HQ Player essentially ignore the MQA encoding and play the file at it's intrinsic bit rate / sampling rate (EG - 16/44.1)?

2. if so, is there any advantage to selecting the poly-sinc-MQA filters when playing these files output to a non-MQA DAC?

Thank you!

Posted this for Jussi's opinion but if anyone else has experience with playback of MQA encoded files using HQPlayer desktop would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

36 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Posted this for Jussi's opinion but if anyone else has experience with playback of MQA encoded files using HQPlayer desktop would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

2, yes from my understanding

1, from my understanding not exactly ignoring, kind of apodizing, whatever it means, that is, whatever the encoding, correcting what's gone wrong would it be the ADC's fault or MQA's

13 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

2, yes from my understanding

1, from my understanding not exactly ignoring, kind of apodizing, whatever it means, that is, whatever the encoding, correcting what's gone wrong would it be the ADC's fault or MQA's

Thanks, I've been playing around with different filters and the MQA options sound clean but not always best or most musical. In fact right now I'm really enjoying MinringFIR-mp on FLAC 24/48 MQA classical guitar output to DSD 256. The body and warmth of the instrument are astounding, without loss of resolution or detail. These are the moments that make the relentless search for "the sound" all worth it!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

14 hours ago, Miska said:

This is a Linux specific bug in DoP code that has been fixed, I'm nearing 4.0.4 release...

Luxman could probably also work without DoP, so you could possibly avoid the problem already. Are you using my custom kernel build?

Disabling DoP did the trick : I could have sworn that the Luxman didn't work without DoP but it actually does. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Sigi said:

Is it possible to hide the album cover of the play view who appears behind the album covers of the album views? in the HQPlayer client?

No, not at the moment... I'm curious why?

Right now, the design is that it is static image at lowest layer and other elements are layer on top with varying amount of transparency.

53 minutes ago, Sigi said:

Well, perhaps it is a very personal feeling. It looks clearer in my opinion if it only appears in the play view and the album view only shows those that can be selected.

I just thought it looks cooler and more trendy when the three views are selectively transparent and animated on top, instead of plain black background. Because I've got so many complaints about simple and clean looks before...

Personally, to me, cover images are useless waste of screen estate, plain text is more compact and can fit more information.

11 minutes ago, Sigi said:

Am sorry that I don’t agree with you! I know many users prefer the album covers because they can better link the cover with the music they have heard in the past.

That's why the cover art is supported... :)

12 minutes ago, Sigi said:

An alphabetic list of thousand cd titles is not very easy to follow.

I prefer multi-layer tree view that was used in HQPlayer Desktop v3. That is very compact way to represent lot of information, that's why it is usually used for file system browsers too.

13 minutes ago, Sigi said:

And you can select by date of upload, genre, etc on the fly.

That is also included in HQPlayer Client, search terms cover:

• artist
  • performer
  • album
  • song
  • genre
  • date
  • path
  • format

I store my music purchases in store specific trees and CD rips separately. I usually don't remember what I've purchased last for example from highresaudio.com, but I can search for "highresaudio" and then I can easily notice new or forgotten material I haven't been listening recently. I usually cannot stand listening same things frequently. So I'd actually need a list of "least listened records" and "most listened" should be hidden somewhere out of sight.

14 minutes ago, Sigi said:

And you can mark your favoured files with stars from 1-5 and only play those of your preference!

I would be never able to rate music with stars, it depends so much on week day, mood, etc. For example Friday is my club music day (progressive trance, deep house, jungle, what ever). But that would never work on Monday.

21 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

can't further report about SQ and was listening at very low level with the so charming but so "chiante" fiancée reading by my side but 4.10.1 seems to have dealt with the screeching scorching atrocious sounds issue 

If I decide to go Embedded the Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor should get rid of the usb clutter provided I can access my main drive... 

to whom it may concern, I'll comment on the Desktop Linux/Embedded thread