IGNORED

HQ Player

4 hours ago, tobes said:

Yes turning the Firewall off will stop the notifications, but not sure that is a valid solution. No other apps appear to have this problem.

I just don't know what I could do about it. As usual, Apple's things are a black box and not very well documented if at all. I guess most other apps don't use multicast discovery mechanisms with dynamic ports. If they do they use Apple's Bonjour which is probably special white-listed on the firewall and cannot even controlled by the user?

My local network is behind a firewall, so I don't need or want second layer of firewall. Because it is pretty useless anyway if all applications and the OS are just let through (doesn't end up blocking anything).

P.S. Could be somehow also related that I use Xcode 9 on Mojave, because CUDA toolkit doesn't support Xcode 10 yet. While Xcode 9 GUI doesn't even start on Mojave for some reason (Apple has broken also their own development environment). So I cannot look and manage my keys anymore on Mojave, but the installed ones work until they expire next year.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

I just don't know what I could do about it. As usual, Apple's things are a black box and not very well documented if at all. I guess most other apps don't use multicast discovery mechanisms with dynamic ports. If they do they use Apple's Bonjour which is probably special white-listed on the firewall and cannot even controlled by the user?

I haven't got any idea....just asking.

I did turn the firewall off and of course no pop-ups when I start the HQP apps. I checked at the 'Shields up' site to see if this exposes me to web scanners - but ip is coming up in full stealth mode on all ports, so my router firewall seems to be sufficient. 

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)
3 minutes ago, tobes said:

I haven't got any idea....just asking.

I did turn the firewall off and of course no pop-ups when I start the HQP apps. I checked at the 'Shields up' site to see if this exposes me to web scanners - but ip is coming up in full stealth mode on all ports, so my router firewall seems to be sufficient. 

Hardware firewalls should work fine. And AFAIK, macOS firewall is just a firewall, without browser security features, which in turn are built into Safari. I use F-Secure Anti-Virus on my Macs though.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

What I meant by virtual clock is correct timing of the notification events. HQPlayer always uses WASAPI event driven mode

In WaveRT mode, VAC signals notification events when a current half of the RT Audio circular buffer is processed. But Microsoft RT Audio protocol does not allow to specify more than two notification events per circular buffer. So if the System Audio Engine allocates, for example, 20 ms buffer, and Virtual Cable processing period is set to 1 ms, notification events are fired not more often than 10 ms.

I will try to check HQPlayer with VAC. Could you please point me what exactly to check? And I can provide full VAC package if you want to check it on your side.

Virtual Audio Cable - the developer.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:38 AM, louisxiawei said:

I personally hope HQplayer desktop can have its own tablet OS app for customizing the setting or via IP web page like HQplayer embedded.  

+1 for customizing the setting via IP web page like HQplayer embedded !

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

Hi Jussi,

it was the graphic driver that the client didn’t work. All perfect now!

I think one feature in the client would be very convenient.

1. Assign a value to a cd or a music file with by example Stars: from 1 to 5?.

2. Selection of cd according to the genre

3.What also would be helpful in the Desktop is the possibility to change the room correction filters after a stop if not online.

I like the client ! If feature 1 and 2 can be implemented there is no other additional program necessary to deal with the library!

cheers

Sigi 

My 4 Settings :

all go DSD 64 not 128 anymore

with DSD5 modulator

Closed Form 16M as much as I can ( that is with n44.1, provided there's no need for apodizing). mqa lp works fine with 192. xtr2S and sinc short are helpful with 48 and 96 ; depends on content

So I dropped : ASDM7, going 128, ext2, CIC (in DSD settings that are IIR/Wide now) ; that's how I copped with 4

I kept convolution with Save engine

Drawback : my room and all kinds of objects gets excited and vibrating more often ; I'm really reaching my room's limits on some albums

Everybody else kept his/her settings as of 3?

Hi. Question for Miska. I just set up the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I've got it working great on my Windows 10 PC. I'm using Roon with HQP 4.02 and converting everything to DSD. That's working great and sounds wonderful. But if I try to watch a video on youtube I get no sound.

I can JRiver to play, I just need to restart HQP to use Roon again. But what about sound from the internet and other programs?

Appreciate any help.

Settings attached.

Thanks,

Spence

HPPlayerSettings_ADI_ASIO_051619.jpg

9 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

My 4 Settings :

all go DSD 64 not 128 anymore

with DSD5 modulator

Closed Form 16M as much as I can ( that is with n44.1, provided there's no need for apodizing). mqa lp works fine with 192. xtr2S and sinc short are helpful with 48 and 96 ; depends on content

So I dropped : ASDM7, going 128, ext2, CIC (in DSD settings that are IIR/Wide now) ; that's how I copped with 4

I kept convolution with Save engine

Drawback : my room and all kinds of objects gets excited and vibrating more often ; I'm really reaching my room's limits on some albums

Everybody else kept his/her settings as of 3?

I do not use ext2 anymore, as I did with 3x. It seem xtr and closed form works better with my system in 4x. Also, in 4x I hear more difference between various filters with various material than in 3x. If I am not dreaming what I do surely..))

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

For Windows only!

There are two methods to loopback the sound:

Method 1

Part A:

If your sound card supports it, in the Windows Sound panel, under the Recording tab, set the “Stereo mix” or “loopback” device as the default (there isn’t one in the pic below):

image.png.3f9cb178b9ba564c056d47cc0fedd797.png

Click on Properties and under the Advanced tab, select the bit rate and sample rate.  You will use the same values in HQplayer:

image.png.0c1235ee3ff54617726236a850c9d9cd.png

Part B:

In HQPlayer, in the settings, select the “Stereo mix” (or “loopback”) as the input device (backend=WASAPI).

Then, select the bit rate/sample rate:

image.png.5a38a1a8beb3d40f378bae66d07310ab.png

Then, with the focus on that box (with the bit rate/sample rate) hit Enter. It should look like this:

image.png.18218e106ad0f808f1081f096d9e5ba5.png

Now, click on the line under Length/Artist/Album/Song:

image.png.357ba114f0d024f6e3fcc47f2bbba9cc.png

You should be all set.

Method 2

If 1 above is not an option, you will need to install a virtual cable.  Google Virtual Audio Cable by Eugene Muzychenko or VB-Audio Cable. Download and install the virtual cable.

Part A:

In the Windows Sound panel, under the Recording tab, set the virtual cable as the default. Click on Properties and under the Advanced tab, select the bit rate and sample rate.  You will use the same values in HQplayer.

Part B:

Same as Part B above, except select the virtual cable instead of “stereo mix” (or “loopback”).

Hey. Thanks for your suggestions. But, I'm still not getting the volume from the computer (youtube). Sorry, I tried it...

i have tried Virtual cable as input device to use the Qobuz app dirrectly with  HQplayer 4  and unfortunatly it sounds not as good as Roon for streaming ..      not a big surprise 🤨

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

2 hours ago, Eugene Muzychenko said:

Most virtual audio transports work under Windows Audio Engine that supports format conversion, including resampling. If shared mode is used, you need to pay attention to both playback and recording default formats to avoid conversion.

If you avoid conversion by the Windows Audio Engine, the audio stream will be passed through, bit-perfect, to HQplayer (or any other player/recorder/renderer, etc.). 

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, Eugene Muzychenko said:

Most virtual audio transports work under Windows Audio Engine that supports format conversion, including resampling. If shared mode is used, you need to pay attention to both playback and recording default formats to avoid conversion.

To Avoid Conversion by the Windows Audio Engine

For the "Recording" device (i.e. input device) in the Windows Sound panel, the bit rate/sample rate should be the same rate as the incoming signal. (It does not have to be the same as in the pic below.)

image.png.66c099e992e2af8e531a4d33a312a9e0.png

Similarly, the input sample rate (greyed out line above Length/Artist/Album/Song) should be the same in HQPlayer:

image.png.b4f8b1822dd7b11356db59721cf564c9.png

mQa is dead!

19 hours ago, Sigi said:

1. Assign a value to a cd or a music file with by example Stars: from 1 to 5?.

I need to think about this...

20 hours ago, Sigi said:

2. Selection of cd according to the genre

I'm not 100% sure if 4.0.2 already included search by genre, but at least upcoming 4.0.3 already supports it, and other things like searching by year, so you can do searches like "rock 1976".

20 hours ago, Sigi said:

3.What also would be helpful in the Desktop is the possibility to change the room correction filters after a stop if not online

You will be able to select pipeline matrix configurations (with/without correction filters) from the client in future. It is frequently asked feature and it is on my TODO-list for 4.x.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

You will be able to select pipeline matrix configurations (with/without correction filters) from the client in future. It is frequently asked feature and it is on my TODO-list for 4.x.

Great !

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

On 5/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, Eugene Muzychenko said:

In WaveRT mode, VAC signals notification events when a current half of the RT Audio circular buffer is processed. But Microsoft RT Audio protocol does not allow to specify more than two notification events per circular buffer. So if the System Audio Engine allocates, for example, 20 ms buffer, and Virtual Cable processing period is set to 1 ms, notification events are fired not more often than 10 ms.

I will try to check HQPlayer with VAC. Could you please point me what exactly to check? And I can provide full VAC package if you want to check it on your side.

That sounds sufficient, as long as the input is clocked by the audio framework.

I recommend to just try to set VAC as input device in HQPlayer and then try to process from that input to some output (source URI selection). If you enable log file from HQPlayer settings, it can be really useful seeing what is going on, you can find log file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder, called HQPlayer4Desktop.log

On 5/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, volpone said:

+1 for customizing the setting via IP web page like HQplayer embedded !

Web page is maybe more Embedded thing. But likely I will add such features to the Client. One reason is also that through client the auto-discovery works and if the server is running on a computer behind DHCP, one doesn't then need to first figure out the IP address...

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

If you avoid conversion by the Windows Audio Engine, the audio stream will be passed through, bit-perfect, to HQplayer (or any other player/recorder/renderer, etc.). 

unfortunatly it's not true here even with direct mode and no sampling change,   QOBUZ/ROON/HQP   is far away better than Qobuz app/virtual cable/ HQP  

i will love that it will not be the case to save some money 🙂

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

1 minute ago, juanitox said:

unfortunatly it's not true here even with direct mode and no sampling change,   QOBUZ/ROON/HQP   is far away better than Qobuz app/virtual cable/ HQP  

i will love that it will not be the case to save some money 🙂

What is "direct mode"?  I have tested the "bit-perfectness" using MQA files and an MQA enabled DAC.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

If you post some screenshots (like those in my post above), maybe someone can help you.

Here's some screenshots. HQPlayer is working great, but when I try to play youtube for "Playback" it appears to be using the Realtek Digital Output and you can see it's getting a signal. But no sound. I'm also getting "device in use" errors when I test the playback and recording devices. And I'm not sure why I need a "recording" device for listening to youtube?

I really appreciate all your help guys!

PC_SoundsScreenshots.jpg