IGNORED

HQ Player

On 5/11/2019 at 6:04 AM, lucretius said:

Interestingly, I manually set the audio default (URI ?) to audio:default/11286900/2 and now I am back to upsampling to DSD.  Don't know if this will stick or not. This needs to be more robust. 

Edit:  I had change audio:default/11286900/2 to audio:default/11289600/2.  It seems to be sticking.

That part has nothing to do with Roon... It is about selecting audio input hardware parameters for realtime processing...

If it has effect, I suspect you have accidentally same device selected as both input and output device.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've had no problems with AQ, DH Labs and Wireworld USB A to B cables and HQ,

but what brand non-audiophile cables do you recommend?

Also no problem with Jitterbug dealie.

I recall Miska saying he didn't have confidence that audiophile cables weren't

really up to Industry Specs.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:14 AM, DancingSea said:

If you think HQP is worth $2500, then a level of delusion has crept into the frozen tundra!

Depends how you look at things, if we calculate for example:

60 €/hour * 8 hours/day * 21 work days per month * 12 months per year * 20 years = 2419200 EUR

Although if you hire one developer from a software company to work on something it is around 120€/hour.

Hi,

I installed Ver. 4 on win 2012 R2. Works fine, but can somebody explain where I can find what are the difference between HQPlayer 4 desktop, High DPI, No Style?

What will I have to do to use the client?

How to use the Library? Browse in the GUI is ok, but library scan, nothing appears. Sorry if it was explained already, but it is difficult to find due to the hundreds of posts!

cheers

sigi

PS: Is there a way to solve the Alsa-Merging back? Want to use the Linux embedded!

10 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

I've had no problems with AQ, DH Labs and Wireworld USB A to B cables and HQ,

but what brand non-audiophile cables do you recommend?

Also no problem with Jitterbug dealie.

I recall Miska saying he didn't have confidence that audiophile cables weren't

really up to Industry Specs.

I've usually just said to look for standard USB cable that has the official USB HiSpeed Certified -badge. Or in case of USB 3 cable, USB SuperSpeed Certified. These cost like 10 - 20 EUR, at least good to keep at hand for checking if problems appear. I don't pay much attention to brands.

3 minutes ago, Sigi said:

I installed Ver. 4 on win 2012 R2. Works fine, but can somebody explain where I can find what are the difference between HQPlayer 4 desktop, High DPI, No Style?

High DPI is primarily for use with 4K displays and such, if the user interface otherwise looks too tiny.

"No Style" drops the default theme and goes for automatic platform theme selection. On Windows, this means Windows widget style and on macOS it means macOS widget style. On Linux the result depends on desktop environment.

6 minutes ago, Sigi said:

What will I have to do to use the client?

You need to have the server (HQPlayer Desktop or HQPlayer Embedded) running, then you can connect to wanted server and view the library, or select one of the inputs. You can also adjust filter selections and such (syncing of which seems to still bug a bit - needs more fixing).

11 minutes ago, Sigi said:

How to use the Library? Browse in the GUI is ok, but library scan, nothing appears.

Nothing appears in the library management dialog table, or? Library is used either through the Client, or through some other application.

Thank you! Can you say something about the Alsa-Merging driver for Hapi?

Since March nothing happens and it is tedious to play music when after a stop one has to initialise everything again.

I want to use Linux as OS but at the moment it isn’t possible and Merging seems to have no interest in the potential users. At least nothing is moving on in the forum!

Why did the opened ?

Cheers

PS: wonderful software you have developed! And compared to Roon the price is justifiable !!

5 minutes ago, Sigi said:

Thank you! Can you say something about the Alsa-Merging driver for Hapi?

Since March nothing happens and it is tedious to play music when after a stop one has to initialise everything again.

I want to use Linux as OS but at the moment it isn’t possible and Merging seems to have no interest in the potential users. At least nothing is moving on in the forum!

Why did the opened ?

Their Linux driver needs fixing, but last time I checked there were no updates to it. Now that Desktop 4 is out, I will again look at this too.

The driver is open source, so I could also look into it, but I don't think I should be spending a lot of time fixing their driver. For me there would be extra time and effort to first understand how the driver works before I could start modifying it.

I guess Merging has been just busy working on many things, like Pyramix, the new Anubis device, etc.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, lucretius said:

Edit:  After opening and closing HQPlayer a few times, the upsampling has returned to 384k (with Roon source) and not DSD256 as it should.  This behaviour appears unstable

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I've got many reports like this and in many cases problem was found to be a USB gadget or audiophile USB cable.

I'm just using a Belkin USB cable -- I can try another cable.  I'm not using any USB gadget.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Miska said:
4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

What I wish for the further development of the HQPlayers 4 is an optional automatic. The desire of user is clear: he does not want to control the volume in HQPlayer. The necessary headroom should be able to determine a clever algorithm.

That is possible, but it would make the library scanning take many hours or even days... 

But what if the loudness analysis was done by another software (e.g. JRiver Media Center) and the values stored in the metadata.  Could HQPlayer work with that metadata?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Miska said:
On 5/10/2019 at 11:04 PM, lucretius said:

Interestingly, I manually set the audio default (URI ?) to audio:default/11286900/2 and now I am back to upsampling to DSD.  Don't know if this will stick or not. This needs to be more robust. 

Edit:  I had change audio:default/11286900/2 to audio:default/11289600/2.  It seems to be sticking.

That part has nothing to do with Roon... It is about selecting audio input hardware parameters for realtime processing...

If it has effect, I suspect you have accidentally same device selected as both input and output device.

Virtual Audio Cable - WASAPI was input device and Mytek Brooklyn DAC - ASIO was output device.

mQa is dead!

10 hours ago, Miska said:

It (HQ Player 4.xx continuing to use CPU cycles after playback is stopped) happens on purpose, but it should stop doing that after some time.

Appreciate the answer, but not understanding why that is helpful. The negative, perhaps unintended, consequence is that it becomes additive, i.e. - if I stop playback, clear playlist and drop another file or files into desktop to playback, settings that normally run well at 20% CPU now use 40%, from the current and prior playback. Seems counterproductive....any way to mitigate?

Thanks, Jussi!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND A BUG in MacOS version of HQ Player Desktop V4.0.2:

(Longtime HQP Desktop 3.x user, so even accounting for the 4.x changes I think I mostly know how this is supposed to work)

Selecting "[source]" as "Default Output Mode," with the expectation that HQP will follow the source format and not tune PCM>DSD nor DSD>PCM is not working right--nor is DirectDSM in relation to it.

a) With [source] selected, DSD64 tracks will not play at all (regardless of whether or not DirectSDM is ticked in DSD Source Settings window).

b) If I select PCM as "Default Output Mode," DSD tracks are converted to PCM even with the DirectSDM ticked in the DSD Source Settings window!

Thus the only way I can get DSD64 to play at its native rate is to set "Default Output Mode" to "SDM (DSD)".  But then PCM is converted to DSD rates upon playback.  This is a big hassle--to have to constantly go into Preferences when playing a playlist that has a mix of Redbook and DSD tracks.

I run a modified Singxer SU-1 via I2S into a Holo Spring L3 set to NOS. I much prefer Redbook played at 352.8 (polysinc-short, 20 DAC bits, NS5), and DSD played at native rate (or sometimes 256).

------

On a different note:

Why the heck is it that in HQP Client, when in Transport view, the song tracks in the third column (from left) do not change or disappear as you select other artists in leftmost column?  It is not as if any of those songs had been added to a playlist.  They only appear and change once you select an album in the middle column.  But they should either go away or change as you select other artists.

I have never seen any other music library browser behave this way.  Sorry Jussi, that's pretty weak.

4 hours ago, lucretius said:

Virtual Audio Cable - WASAPI was input device and Mytek Brooklyn DAC - ASIO was output device.

Do you then have default output format set to "[source]"? Instead of asking for "SDM (DSD)"?

I'm just using a Belkin USB cable -- I can try another cable.  I'm not using any USB gadget.

Belkin cable direct from computer for the DAC should be fine

4 hours ago, lucretius said:

But what if the loudness analysis was done by another software (e.g. JRiver Media Center) and the values stored in the metadata.  Could HQPlayer work with that metadata?

It is not about loudness, but about what is highest peak combined with the particular input data and filter... So the excess could be found by upsampling every file with every filter to highest possible rate and finding what happens to be the highest peak. Although pretty good estimate could be reached by testing with one suitable filter.

21 hours ago, sootshe said:

Also, I can't get to the settings at the bottom of the screen in preferences.

@Miska I tread carefully here.  This is a question not a demand or complaint.  :ph34r:

The preferences screen appears to have tripped up at least the above poster on IOS.  None of my Windows laptops built in screens allow portrait mode (putting me in the same position).  As is I see no way to save desired settings without hooking up an external screen (which cuts off 4/5 of the OK button leaving just enough to register a mouse click).

Would adding a scroll slider be something you would consider or is there a solution already in place we are missing?  I do understand this is related to making the program usable natively on higher resolution devices.

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Selecting "[source]" as "Default Output Mode," with the expectation that HQP will follow the source format and not tune PCM>DSD nor DSD>PCM is not working right--nor is DirectDSM in relation to it.

a) With [source] selected, DSD64 tracks will not play at all (regardless of whether or not DirectSDM is ticked in DSD Source Settings window).

Yes, this was fixed earlier today. I've added some extra sanity check features to the control API to prevent bad behavior if misused, but unfortunately as a side effect it broke this feature from properly switching between PCM and DSD outputs on the fly (unusual use case to use, but should of course work anyway).

13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

b) If I select PCM as "Default Output Mode," DSD tracks are converted to PCM even with the DirectSDM ticked in the DSD Source Settings window!

This works as intended, and just the same as in Desktop v3. Direct SDM only selects whether DSD -> DSD path goes through DSP or not.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Thus the only way I can get DSD64 to play at its native rate is to set "Default Output Mode" to "SDM (DSD)".  But then PCM is converted to DSD rates upon playback.  This is a big hassle--to have to constantly go into Preferences when playing a playlist that has a mix of Redbook and DSD tracks.

That is what is anyway done most of the time. There are very few DACs where switching between the two makes any sense.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I run a modified Singxer SU-1 via I2S into a Holo Spring L3 set to NOS. I much prefer Redbook played at 352.8 (polysinc-short, 20 DAC bits, NS5), and DSD played at native rate (or sometimes 256).

I run mine in DSD mode always, I personally don't want to use the R2R mode...

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Why the heck is it that in HQP Client, when in Transport view, the song tracks in the third column (from left) do not change or disappear as you select other artists in leftmost column?

...fixed...