IGNORED

HQ Player

40 minutes ago, lucretius said:

When Roon is the source, I cannot get HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256.  You can see from my settings below that DSD is the Default Output Mode:

image.png.24030a2df16bd34140e262aaf721d0b2.png

Instead, HQPlayer upsamples to 384k:

image.png.0a558c45bc97f9420511620106acbef8.png

Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256 (when Roon is the source)?

Try gray or check the "Adaptive output rate".

42 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Try gray or check the "Adaptive output rate".

Neither worked.  In fact, checking the Adaptive Output Rate caused the upsampling to go to 352.8k instead of 384k.  But still, no DSD.

However, after unchecking Adaptive Rate Output, closing HQPlayer and reopening, it now works -- HQPlayer upsamples the Roon source to 11.2896M (DSD256).  Very strange.

Edit:  After opening and closing HQPlayer a few times, the upsampling has returned to 384k (with Roon source) and not DSD256 as it should.  This behaviour appears unstable.

mQa is dead!

13 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Neither worked.  In fact, checking the Adaptive Output Rate caused the upsampling to go to 352.8k instead of 384k.  But still, no DSD.

However, after unchecking Adaptive Rate Output, closing HQPlayer and reopening, it now works -- HQPlayer upsamples the Roon source to 11.2896M (DSD256).  Very strange.

This is the setting I use to run upsampling to DSD512.  I grayed Multicore DSP, CUDA offload, and Adaptive output rate, and can run both PCM RedBook and Hi-Res as well as DSD64 to DSD512 without changing settings.

image.png.147fa26e6cf3e382f8519f47abc3cac7.png

55 minutes ago, elan120 said:

This is the setting I use to run upsampling to DSD512.  I grayed Multicore DSP, CUDA offload, and Adaptive output rate, and can run both PCM RedBook and Hi-Res as well as DSD64 to DSD512 without changing settings.

image.png.147fa26e6cf3e382f8519f47abc3cac7.png

That doesn't work for me.

I have more success with Adaptive Output Rate unchecked -- at least it would work sometimes; keeps alternating between 384k and 11.2869M.

Interestingly, I manually set the audio default (URI ?) to audio:default/11286900/2 and now I am back to upsampling to DSD.  Don't know if this will stick or not. This needs to be more robust. 

image.png.1637a5f78aeea73be3c34343e4899eed.png

Edit:  I had change audio:default/11286900/2 to audio:default/11289600/2.  It seems to be sticking.

mQa is dead!

49 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Edit:  I had change audio:default/11286900/2 to audio:default/11289600/2.  It seems to be sticking.

I spoke too soon.  It's now back to 384k.  Very intermittent.  @Miska please help!  Thanks.

Edit:  I just checked Desktop 3 -- it sometimes suffers from this problem too -- I hadn't noticed it before.

mQa is dead!

7 hours ago, Miska said:

[...]

From my perspective, the price is still extremely cheap. It should really have one extra zero at the end.

Extra zero - that's close to what I paid for Amarra with all its "upgrades" and "additions" during some years, and I am not using Amarra anymore, even deleted it from computer. Quality of experience is more important here than price, imho.

5 hours ago, DancingSea said:

[...]

In my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree, in this consumer market we have, for instance,  Audirvana at $74 with $40 upgrades - sounds good and has a functional library with Tidal & Quboz.  HQP at $240 with 200% major upgrade fees has an excellent sound engine, but is otherwise undeveloped.  The GUI and library system is antiquated at best.  You’ve been receiving feedback on this for years yet totally ignore it.  For me, its difficult to reconcile your pricing given the undeveloped state of your entire package. 

[...]

IMO it is opposite. GUI doesn't look antiquated, it is dictated by purpose, and I like HQP laconic design. Do not care about library, I am not admiring album covers when listening music. When downloaded A+ trial recently (was it's user since "free" times and up to 2x, abandoned later) was repelled by it's childish outlook with all these extra size elements, coloring schemes, etc.

I have not managed to make V4 work at all, the Library popup shows all the sub-directories with albums but the main interface is empty, so I cannot even play anything in the new version. V3 is installed alongside and works fine. So if anyone wanted my custom, I need some help in figuring out how to make it work in the first instance. Hey?!

Ayre QX-5 Twenty + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

19 minutes ago, warrior-kid said:

I have not managed to make V4 work at all, the Library popup shows all the sub-directories with albums but the main interface is empty, so I cannot even play anything in the new version. V3 is installed alongside and works fine. So if anyone wanted my custom, I need some help in figuring out how to make it work in the first instance. Hey?!

There is a pdf file called "HQPlayer4Desktop-manual" in downloaded folder. You may want to start from this.

OK, great, I am reading the manual and it goes completely over my head. Why would a "server" called Desktop have any user interface if it is a client-server architecture? If the Client is a UI, it itself should have all the configuration options and the "server" should be a headless process.

But never mind, I am just trying to make it work, one way or another. On the HQDesktop, I  go to File -> Library. This shows me a large list of directories with albums. Am I meant to click OK or what else do i do? I press OK, which closes the window with the album directories and brings me back to the main HQDEsktop interface, which is gloriously empty.

Please help!

Ayre QX-5 Twenty + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

35 minutes ago, warrior-kid said:

OK, great, I am reading the manual and it goes completely over my head. Why would a "server" called Desktop have any user interface if it is a client-server architecture? If the Client is a UI, it itself should have all the configuration options and the "server" should be a headless process.

But never mind, I am just trying to make it work, one way or another. On the HQDesktop, I  go to File -> Library. This shows me a large list of directories with albums. Am I meant to click OK or what else do i do? I press OK, which closes the window with the album directories and brings me back to the main HQDEsktop interface, which is gloriously empty.

Please help!

I hope somebody else will help with library management, I never used it. You could drag and drop a folder with an album into main HQP window as it was possible before. Or, with 4x you could pick a folder from any directory with new Browse button (under Volume knob).

The word "Library" appears on page 9 of the Manual. The very first thing it says "To edit library ...". It does  not even say _what_ is the Library--I thought it was the set of albums available to the player so that the albums were readily available for browsing, but nothing is explained. The "Library" view shows the "library" (never mind I have no idea what it is or what role does it play in the whole experience), then if I press OK, it shows me an empty screen. So what did I just edit exactly? A library? A library of what? Of some directory locations that I cannot even make any use of? It is nuts, sorry.

6 minutes ago, warrior-kid said:

The word "Library" appears on page 9 of the Manual. The very first thing it says "To edit library ...". It does  not even say _what_ is the Library--I thought it was the set of albums available to the player so that the albums were readily available for browsing, but nothing is explained. The "Library" view shows the "library" (never mind I have no idea what it is or what role does it play in the whole experience), then if I press OK, it shows me an empty screen. So what did I just edit exactly? A library? A library of what? Of some directory locations that I cannot even make any use of? It is nuts, sorry.

I had an impression you want HQP play your music. If yes, it is easy. But, it may well be, I am wrong, and you want something else - have fun!)

I want to be able to browse my music using the library function and play it--yes. So what is the "library", how can I get a view with all my music searchable and yes, playable?

Talking about playing music. I have used the Browse button under the Volume knob to load up the album tracks into the main view. That is promising. In the Client, I still cannot see anything, but OK, I press the > Play button in the HQ Desktop window. It starts to play, great! Do I hear any sound? No, nothing. If I go to Preferences, I can see Oppo 205 available for playback, so why am I not hearing a thing? Again, going back to V3, it all works fine. i am on MacOS Mohave btw.

1 minute ago, warrior-kid said:

Talking about playing music. I have used the Browse button under the Volume knob to load up the album tracks into the main view. That is promising. In the Client, I still cannot see anything, but OK, I press the > Play button in the HQ Desktop window. It starts to play, great! Do I hear any sound? No, nothing. If I go to Preferences, I can see Oppo 205 available for playback, so why am I not hearing a thing? Again, going back to V3, it all works fine. i am on MacOS Mohave btw.

I am on Mojave too, listening music right at this moment with 4.0.2. Did you turn Volume knob from far left position?

22 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

So much so that a favorite filter in 3 might become the worst or so in 4.

Very strange findings, as my understanding is that both versions has the exact same filters. 

Do you use same REW in both setups ?

Same USB cable and same USB port ?

I have an excellent pre-amplifier for volume control--see my signature. In V3, the volume is de-activated and on minimum, do I need to do something different on V4?

Correction: I was wrong my V3 has 100% volume. Will up the volume then and see what happens!

OK, we're in business now, at least that is working with 100% volume now. Now I can see how that is different from V3, and will report here!

So all my dff files and some of my dsf files will not play. What internal checks does Hqp do to prevent running either dff or dsf files? This represents about 30% of my music. I recall Miska saying Hqp will not play compressed dff files. Is that the check? All these files play in Roon so I am disappointed they will not play in Hqp. Can Hqp be adjusted to run these files or am I stuck?

OK, first tests are in based on Steve Howe, Anthology.

HQP V3 plays using PCM or DSD output with little clicks and small gaps.

HQP V4 plays using PCM with little clicks. Overall sounds nice, don't know if it is better in any way than V3. DSD output fails with a horrible popping sound and then silence.

Audirvana V3 plays natively, no clicks, no gaps, all clean and the best sound overall.

23 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

So all my dff files and some of my dsf files will not play. What internal checks does Hqp do to prevent running either dff or dsf files? This represents about 30% of my music. I recall Miska saying Hqp will not play compressed dff files. Is that the check? All these files play in Roon so I am disappointed they will not play in Hqp. Can Hqp be adjusted to run these files or am I stuck?

Both dsf and dff plays ok in my system. You should probably experiment with settings.