freesteve

HQ Player

13 hours ago, Miska said:

It is running rate conversion somewhere... Orpheus can internally have only one sample rate... So definitely everything inside is running at the same rate, both ADC and DAC.

I will later look into adding full-duplex support (both input and output from same device at single rate), but it is very complex thing to do in multi-platform environment because each audio API/backend are so different (CoreAudio vs ALSA vs WASAPI vs ASIO).

Don’t worry... it works with loopback adapter ;)

of course it would be nice with full duplex support, but I know: multi platform is not easy!

Greeting and congrats to HQP4!

Christian

13 hours ago, Miska said:

It is still "standalone" player, but split into two parts, server and client. You can run both in the same computer as well.

You can also use the server as standalone player in various ways, just browser for the built-in library has been split out as a separate client. Everything else is as it used to be.

OK...so I have both "Client" & "Desktop" opened, but can't get my library into the software. Do I need to have both of these running?

I usually  go to ....file...library...scan, with "structure only" selected, but this doesn't work. 

If I go to ....import library....it will let me import a single album, but not the whole library, but it still won't play.

When I enter my license key it is still in evaluation mode.....do I have to purchase this software again?

Regards,

John

Miska, two things:

1. When wi-fi on mac mini is turned off both 4.01 and 4.02 doesn't launch properly, failed sound device notification. No such problem with 3. When wi-fi is turned on 4 starts ok.

2. After I was starting replay after changing some settings (like wide/narrow setting for SDM conversion or default output mode in main preferences) extremely loud noise was heard trough the speakers... Never anything like this with previous HQP builds.

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

HQPlayer 4 finally works for me. My hurdles:

- Input under Settings not deactivated
- Volume control hooked

The CPU load has been reduced by 5% -10% (PCM -> DSD 512). Bought! 😁

My settings:

spacer.png

Congrats., nice that you are geting DSD 512, I've been unable with similar settings. What platform / hardware are you running HQ Player 4.02 on?

HQ Player --> iGalvanic3.0 --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> Feliks Audio Elise Mark II 

Headphone: ZMF Auteur (Walnut) / Headphone Cable: Norne Silvergarde S3

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PF i

8 hours ago, sootshe said:

OK...so I have both "Client" & "Desktop" opened, but can't get my library into the software. Do I need to have both of these running?

I usually  go to ....file...library...scan, with "structure only" selected, but this doesn't work. 

If I go to ....import library....it will let me import a single album, but not the whole library, but it still won't play.

When I enter my license key it is still in evaluation mode.....do I have to purchase this software again?

Regards,

John

yes you have to pay for 4

go through "browse" to import a single album.

27 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

yes you have to pay for 4

go through "browse" to import a single album.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Will look at the opinions on "4" before purchasing,as I'm very happy with "3".

I only use PCM & upsample, so DSD & other features aren't really of interest.

@Miska Thanks for the 4.0.2 update. I see you adding some new features such as 48K DSD and adaptive output rate.

Is it possible to add this function:

When we greyed the 48K DSD option upsampling DSD file (DSF) to DSD512 at 48K rate only. Upsampling DSD files to 48X512 does not need too much CPU horsepower since it does not apply the SDM filters.

Could you give an example of using greyed adaptive output rate? I'm a little confused about this option.

For the case of 48K rate 512 supported DAC like T+A DAC8 DSD, when doing DSD512 upsampling rate at non-2s filters, I have to tick the adaptive output rate. Otherwise the workload of CPU will be extremely heavy if upsampling 44.1 → DSD512 x 48 and PC might eventually collapse. I don't know which scenario this greyed adaptive output rate can be properly used. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100, Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Have not been here awhile and been using the 3.x versions. Did not even know version 4 was out. I am completely shocked by the upgrade price, however. Are we really talking about over 200 USD worth of improvements here?

Ayre QB-9 DSD + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

1 hour ago, warrior-kid said:

Have not been here awhile and been using the 3.x versions. Did not even know version 4 was out. I am completely shocked by the upgrade price, however. Are we really talking about over 200 USD worth of improvements here?

How much $$ you paid for all previous improvements/maintenance/development/etc. of HQPlayer in previous ten years? Anyway, current HQPlayer upgrade is not obligatory, you may enjoy 3x or any other player on a market.

I bought it on July 8th, 2016--once. It was around 60 bucks I think. My question stands: what actually is worth USD 200 upgrade in this release? If it is worth it, I'll upgrade with no complaints and will be very happy--it is a genuine question.

Ayre QB-9 DSD + Oppo 205, Mac mini + Audirvana, Ayre KX-R Twenty pre, Ayre MX-R monos, Monitor Audio PL300 floorstanders, Shunyata cables

It may seem steep and not all of us are completely price elastic in our purchasing decisions.  That being said, this is a hobby that most of us have put several thousand dollars into over the years.  The user base for HQPlayer is pretty specific, even amongst audiophiles and Roon users.

Speaking of Roon, they solved the varying income stream problem by doing what many software vendors have gone to in recent years, a subscription model.  It smooths out the income issues and lessens user angst that a user who invested in HQPlayer a year ago is being charged in the upgrade more than the one who got in five years ago.  Maybe we'll see that at some point but managing that isn't as easy either, since Miska has direct sales and resellers.

1 minute ago, warrior-kid said:

I bought it on July 8th, 2016--once. It was around 60 bucks I think. My question stands: what actually is worth USD 200 upgrade in this release? If it is worth it, I'll upgrade with no complaints and will be very happy--it is a genuine question.

Then download and listen!  No one knows its value to you...except you.  The thread is full of HQP 4 comments, but end of the day its your $$.

OK, thanks, any particular settings I should set to hear the difference? I'm using Oppo 205 now as DAC primarily bu the rest of the system has very good separates as you can see from the signature.

This new license is also multi-platform, Same license key for Mac OS, Windows & Linux. So if you switch OS or want to experiment with another OS you do not need to purchase addtional specific OS license (As long as you only have one instance of HQPlayer open at any given time). Plus as @AnotherSpin mentioned, countless improvements, developments and maintenance. Jussi has provided unparalleled support over the years for HQPlayer integration with various OS and hardware updates and issues.

@Miska

Is the license still based on the hw fingerprint or can we use for example 4.x on a desktop PC and 4.x embedded on a NUC as long as only one instance is running at a time?

I'm on eval license now then, for some reason, I cannot even open my Library the way I do in v3. The Library options shows a lot of sub-directories with albums but once I close it, I end up with an empty track with nothing under it. What I am doing wrong?

OK, thanks, any particular settings I should set to hear the difference? I'm using Oppo 205 now as DAC primarily bu the rest of the system has very good separates as you can see from the signature.

I use pretty simple one-computer system (no NAA, etc.) and I am not going to insist the change from 3x in both features and sound was dramatic. To me there is a step forward from 3x to 4x. At the same time I see my upgrade purchase, which is not a small cost for me, as an investment into my future usage of HQP. I am eager and hopefull to see and use all new ideas and features which Miska will make available. But, as it was said above, anyone should decide what he or she hears with particular set of ears/brains and in particular sound environment. 

I can't get 4.02 to work in my setup (W10 - SoTM NAA).

Same settings as with 4.01.

Everything "seems" to be working (NAA shows in settings, filters seem to load, music seems to be playing, the switch and NAA look like they're receiving data), but I get no sound...

I've rebooted server, switch and NAA several times, as well as the DAC, but the behaviour remains the same.

I went back to 4.01 and everything works again.

I've tried the procedure twice with a fresh 4.02 download but the problem persists.

I've sent the logs to Jussi ,but I guess he must be in Munich.

Anybody has the same problem?

30 minutes ago, ted_b said:

tedwoods, check volume control on HQP 4.02 (and compared to 4.01)?

It's the same: min -60.0 db max 00.0 db ...

8 minutes ago, ted_b said:

But the actual volume knob position?

Volume looks like it's off but so is on 4.01...

2 hours ago, warrior-kid said:

Ted had the best advice, just try it for yourself.  In my opinion, 4 is not remotely worth the price compared to 3.  The only thing I can guess is that Jussi is following Roon down the pricing rabbit hole, focusing on a market who is willing to pay $750 (or more if they can’t afford the Roon lifetime license) for their computer based audio playback software.  Roon does sound mediocre on its own, so I guess why not try to cash in on the Roon pricing wake?

Without Roon, HQP is just a great sound engine with a extremely rudimentary GUI and library management system for which the new price, to me, makes zero sense.  And Jussi has done away with the discounts HQP resellers used to be able to offer.  

I’m not intending to criticize Jussi, he has a right to run his business as he wishes.  Just expressing that I’ve auditioned 4 and find no compelling reason to upgrade from 3 at his new price.  I do own a DirectStream Junior DAC which does dsd upsampling internally, so I’m less dependent on software like HQP to achieve great sound.  YMMV. 

17 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Congrats., nice that you are geting DSD 512, I've been unable with similar settings. What platform / hardware are you running HQ Player 4.02 on?

Thanks

I am using pure audio PC with 6 core CPU in turbo mode (3 GHz), Windows 10 Pro, Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer Pro. I got a very good suport from Miska, since at first it only went well with DSD 256. DSD 512 requires cores at a high speed.

spacer.png