IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It is closer to poly-sinc-short, while being even shorter. It begins to roll-off a bit earlier on purpose and also trades some stop-band attenuation for even shorter impulse response while maintaining reasonably fast roll-off.

Thank you Miska. I’m not surprised it becomes hard to come up with one- or two -word  names for these filters! Please forgive my further question, but what is it that makes it work well for hi-res files, as has been reported? 

On 4/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, craighartley said:

Thank you Miska. I’m not surprised it becomes hard to come up with one- or two -word  names for these filters! Please forgive my further question, but what is it that makes it work well for hi-res files, as has been reported? 

If you generally prefer ones with shorter time domain response, then at higher sampling rates things like roll-off starting earlier and ending later has less impact overall, because content level within the transition area is much lower in level.

This is generally about whether you prefer more emphasis on frequency- or time-domain. Higher the source sampling rate, less there are trade-offs between the two. Ultimately at DSD or DXD-like PCM rates this becomes largely non-issue and other things (modulators/noise-shapers/linearity) dominate.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@MiskaPerhaps for the slow rolloff filters (short impulse response = less ringing), it would be useful to provide alternative versions with lower corner frequencies.  Those of us with declining treble hearing might benefit from a low corner frequency in combination with a short impulse response.  The low corner frequency would reduce the imaging distortion normally caused by a slow rolloff filter.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

10 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

Jussi:  After a multitude of threads discussing the digital to analog conversion, I still don't think that most visitors to this site understand the three simple principles you have laid out above: 1) If you ears are highly sensitive to time domain response -- choose [these] filters; 2) if your ears are frequency response sensitive -- choose [these] filters; and 3) if your computing  or DAC system allows for conversions to occur far outside the audible band you can have the best of both worlds, but should still pay attention to which modulator you are using, so use [these] filters...(filling in the [these] designations in HQPlayer would also be helpful :) )

It also provides a great rationale for why many of prefer using HQPlayer for these conversions -- because we can make the choices that best suit our ears, not those of our DAC designer.    

Yes please could someone fill in the [these]?!🍝🤔

Cut outs solved.   The iMac I was using had been restored from another I had used as a desktop.  Had all kinds of other software installed including drop box.   I reinstalled a clean copy of Mac OS and only installed Hqplayer and Roon and it is resolved now.  I am guessing some piece of software was synching, indexing or something else and causing the cutout by maxing the processor for a second or so.      

My next question is do you know if the 6  core i7-8700B processor in the new Mac mini will run the poly sync xtr filter at DSD 256 ?   Willl this processor do 512 DSD with some of the filters?

Thanks,

Tim

11 minutes ago, itguy61 said:

My next question is do you know if the 6  core i7-8700B processor in the new Mac mini will run the poly sync xtr filter at DSD 256 ?   Willl this processor do 512 DSD with some of the filters?

That's what I want to find out too. Planning to order one some time, to replace my ancient Mac Mini that is currently running Roon core.

I'm pretty confident that it can do DSD512 with all -2s filters.

I am probably going to buy one.    My iMac is getting older,  a late 2013 i7 model.  Will NOT do XTR non 2s.    That is about the only one I have tried yet that it won't do.   I really like the 2s version and would like to try the non 2s version.  Started pricing Windows boxes and they are within 200$ price so I will stay with the Mac.

1 hour ago, itguy61 said:

Cut outs solved.   The iMac I was using had been restored from another I had used as a desktop.  Had all kinds of other software installed including drop box.   I reinstalled a clean copy of Mac OS and only installed Hqplayer and Roon and it is resolved now.  I am guessing some piece of software was synching, indexing or something else and causing the cutout by maxing the processor for a second or so.      

Thanks,

Tim

Yes it will! I have this Mac Mini doing DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr under Win10 Home. The only caveat is that the fans will scream at you; … unless you change an obscure setting in Systems settings -> advanced and lower the minimum and maximum CPU state from 100% to 99%. This simple change will quieten the fans to (for me) acceptable levels. The case will get warm; but no problems, apart from that so far and after extensive 24+ hours at a stretch use.

Other filters I've used at DSD512 without problems, include ext2 and the poly-sinc-mqa filters.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

4 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Yes it will! I have this Mac Mini doing DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr under Win10 Home. The only caveat is that the fans will scream at you; … unless you change an obscure setting in Systems settings -> advanced and lower the minimum and maximum CPU state from 100% to 99%. This simple change will quieten the fans to (for me) acceptable levels. The case will get warm; but no problems, apart from that so far and after extensive 24+ hours at a stretch use.

Other filters I've used at DSD512 without problems, include ext2 and the poly-sinc-mqa filters.

thanks for the info!   I am liking ext2 just tried it for a coupe of hours and very nice sounding.   

One question, why are you running windows instead of Mac OS on the mini?

On 11/28/2016 at 7:20 AM, bogi said:

I really don't know how to create "any filter you like with delays/eq/whatever" which would function as correctly designed crossfeed. Is anyone here able to do such a thing? (expect of Miska ;) )

About Meier crossfeed (my favorite):

Meier Audio

bg: ARIETTA crossfeed filter measurements.

The foobar2000 DSP implementation is now available also as VST plugin https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,108412.msg923812.html#msg923812

The Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP implementation is described here: Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP

On 11/28/2016 at 7:20 AM, ebrandon said:

What software do you use to create the WAV files in your illustration?

On 11/29/2016 at 6:57 PM, ebrandon said:

The trick in Audacity is "Split Stereo to Mono" and then "Export Multiple"

I got it working and here are my impressions:

1) Didn't like the 30 degree setting at all -- way too "mono"

2) 50 degree setting was better, but music still lost a lot of sparkle, detail, and excitement

3) It seemed to me that the harm to the music was much greater when the source material was not the same 44.1 sample rate as the WAV impulse files

I don't know if crossfeed is not for me, or if it's just this particular impulse function I don't like.

Hi @bogi @ebrandon

I have the same interest in using Bauer and/or Meier cross feed with HQP, for headphones listening.

Are you guys able to share the files you created, for those of us without the skills, to import into HQPlayer?

5 hours ago, itguy61 said:

One question, why are you running windows instead of Mac OS on the mini?

Because on Mac the highest you can typically go is DSD128. Usually you don't use DAC drivers on the Mac. MacOS just supports most DACs straight out of the box, which is convenient; but has that ceiling of DSD128.

On Windows there are ASIO drivers available for the DSD DACs which allow them to reach their full potential. (DSD512 in the case of my T+A DAC8 DSD and some others).

The only exceptions I know of are the Exasound DACs as George wrote his own ASIO drivers which work on both Windows and MacOS that take them up to DSD256.

The situation is much the same on Linux as Mac, although I understand there are some (experimental??) ASIO drivers for Amanero based DACs that will take them beyond DSD128.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

On 3/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, Miska said:

Really hard to say why, or do something about it, unless I can reproduce it here...

So far it's been usually due to missing CPU feature, but if also the 32-bit version doesn't run (just remember to uninstall 64-bit before installing 32-bit), then it's not that either.

Not sure if there is any point but Tried again today and still no result. Funnily enough tried Audirvana and it does the same thing. I have tried a few other free programs like mozilla etc just to test and no problem installing and running those.

Any gurus out there in Computer Audiophile?

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

31 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Not sure if there is any point but Tried again today and still no result. Funnily enough tried Audirvana and it does the same thing. I have tried a few other free programs like mozilla etc just to test and no problem installing and running those.

Any gurus out there in Computer Audiophile?

It would take a good few hours out of your day... but as a last resort you can wipe your PC clean, do a clean install of Windows and clean install of everything you use...

It's one option and a last resort as I said, but depends how badly you want to try. Obviously you'd need to make sure you have everything important backed up safely before trying this.

There's plenty of Windows HQPlayer users out there, so it's not a general Windows issue.

@Em2016 Yeah I am nearly at that point it is an old rig but still runs well. Everything is backed up x3 it is just a pain re-installing everything as you said. Just heard back from Audirvana and it is for Windows 10 only but I have 8.1... Was hoping not to need it.

4 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Everything is backed up x3 it is just a pain re-installing everything as you said.

Ha yeh, initially I wrote to put aside 2 hours for the clean install drama but then thought... nah, it's more like a 3 hour drama from start to finish, by the time everything is re-installed and setup properly.

Maybe wait to see if anyone else has suggestions but keep that as an option maybe.

@Miska

I wish I would not have to switch from Convolution to Pipeline setups for Matrix (remember : I'm now a huge fan of 5.1 played Stereo and grabbed all i could ie The Doors Perception OMG!!); however:

with 2.0 dsf sources (my machine can not do 5.1 dsf) I get stutter if I don't revert ; why, since HQP is supposed to simply see that extra channels have 0 data so 0 strain?

Additionally :

I wish I would set Volume to 0 when going MCH and Pipeline for it's a very watts consuming and that your Pipeline settings already include Volume management (lowering) ; I'm disturbed by yellow and red colouring of the wheel at more than -2dB; should I just ignore?

Taking into account that when I'm in Convolution setup mode I prefer overlap-save over overlap-add, is there a reason why Convolution and Pipeline modes for Matrix should sound different, besides non perfectly equal listening volumes ?

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

with 2.0 dsf sources (my machine can not do 5.1 dsf) I get stutter if I don't revert ; why, since HQP is supposed to simply see that extra channels have 0 data so 0 strain?

Load difference is quite minimal between the two, but the matrix process is still a little bit more complex than without it.

I wish I would set Volume to 0 when going MCH and Pipeline for it's a very watts consuming and that your Pipeline settings already include Volume management (lowering) ; I'm disturbed by yellow and red colouring of the wheel at more than -2dB; should I just ignore?

Volume setting doesn't affect CPU load, be it 0 or something else. But if you think you have enough attenuation in the pipeline setup you can safely turn the volume up. Colors are just a warning, keep eye on the limited counter though.

Taking into account that when I'm in Convolution setup mode I prefer overlap-save over overlap-add, is there a reason why Convolution and Pipeline modes for Matrix should sound different, besides non perfectly equal listening volumes ?

No, the two are similar, you could tune gains to be similar too with gain compensation in convolution setup. But matrix at the moment uses overlap-add by default. Maybe I bring the selection there too somehow at some point.

The only exceptions I know of are the Exasound DACs as George wrote his own ASIO drivers which work on both Windows and MacOS that take them up to DSD256.

With iFi micro iDSD / iDAC2, RME ADI-2 and Holo Spring (I think it also applies to Cyan DSD) you can get DSD256 on macOS too, because they support 705.6/768k PCM rates...

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Ha yeh, initially I wrote to put aside 2 hours for the clean install drama but then thought... nah, it's more like a 3 hour drama from start to finish, by the time everything is re-installed and setup properly.

Maybe wait to see if anyone else has suggestions but keep that as an option maybe.

Just finished getting Windows 10 on. It is still a free upgrade from 8.1. Looks like HQplayer and Audirvana now working. Roon backup isn't being recognised though. Thanks for the motivation