IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, ddetaey said:

ok, thanks 

too bad as Amanero usb (in T+A 8 DSD) does not handle DSD256x48 at all with Linux 

Dirk

Yes, it's been somewhat painful wait for Amanero firmware that would work properly on Linux. That's why my DSC1 DAC is also not getting as much use as I wish it would.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, it's been somewhat painful wait for Amanero firmware that would work properly on Linux. That's why my DSC1 DAC is also not getting as much use as I wish it would.

Aren't you busy raking the forest anyway?  Has this stupid comment from Trump about the California wildfires made the news in Finland as well?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I apologize I should have sent that comment to Miska as a PM.  I don't want to mess up this excellent thread with political humor.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, Miska said:

What kind of endpoint are you after? Sonore and SoTM have HQPlayer endpoint (NAA). Or you can make one buy getting hardware separately and then using bootable NAA image.

Thank you. I am looking for even better specs compared to those two without the typical add-ons of a fully loaded music server.

My guess Linux is a more efficient OS for a NAA and would like to consider a viable alternative within that option, but ready to use like the Sotm and Sonore.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

That just certainly sounds like thermal problem... Especially if it gets back to normal after letting the machine rest on idle for half an hour or so, without rebooting. If it needs reboot, then it could be some resource leak in some always running software piece (even device driver). Or even a component drift if it needs power down to recover.

One option to test things would be to boot up my HQPlayer Embedded OS image and try playing same things through that, since that doesn't require installing anything. Maybe not the easiest thing though. Or installing HQPlayer Desktop on some normal Linux distribution live image. This way hardware would be the same, but software would be different from the ground up.

Is it possible that the cpu on its own isn’t powerfull enough without a video card.

43 minutes ago, rikirk said:

Thank you. I am looking for even better specs compared to those two without the typical add-ons of a fully loaded music server.

My guess Linux is a more efficient OS for a NAA and would like to consider a viable alternative within that option, but ready to use like the Sotm and Sonore.

SoTM has couple of different models. And maybe Pink Faun has something suitable. But there are not that many ready-made solutions.

If someone could convince some bigger manufacturer to make it an option on their streamers it would be nice. What I've discussed with them, the demand is not so obvious to them. So Sonore and SoTM has been pretty much ruling the NAA market.

29 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Is it possible that the cpu on its own isn’t powerfull enough without a video card.

Not really if something like poly-sinc-2s doesn't work, then there is something else to this... And you have Multicore DSP check box in HQPlayer set to grayed (auto) or enabled (checked)?

Not a thermal problem.For example play fine say for a hour .It will act up for say two or threee songs then will play fine again for awhile.This all happens without reboot.

There is certainly something mysterious going on.

57 minutes ago, rikirk said:

Apologies that I haven't looked at your prior posts to know if you've already talked about this, but if you have the ability to install Linux, there are any number of inexpensive mini-computers that will run NAA (networkaudiod) very nicely.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not really if something like poly-sinc-2s doesn't work, then there is something else to this... And you have Multicore DSP check box in HQPlayer set to grayed (auto) or enabled (checked)?

There is certainly something mysterious going on.

So today I tried HQPlayer on its own.Took on song out of 35 differnet albums to make playlist.Let it run for 90 minutes no issue.Did the the same thing with roon through hqplayer no problems.The issue is when I stop a song select different one it will stutter,but not every time.if I leave things alone and just let it play through playlist 100%.DSP is grayed.Trying to see if someone will lend me video card to try

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

But there are not that many ready-made solutions.

What about the DS-1 from thelinearsolution.com?  It says it supports NAA.  I haven't seen any user feedback about this device yet.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

What about the DS-1 from thelinearsolution.com?  It says it supports NAA.  I haven't seen any user feedback about this device yet.

Ahh, yes I recognize the company, but first time I see that product.

I've been using industrial passive cooled computers too, for example the Logic Supply CL100. I've also wanted to test their newer CL200 for NAA use, but haven't yet got to that point (since it has microSD slot it can probably boot from that one, which is quite nice feature).

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Apologies that I haven't looked at your prior posts to know if you've already talked about this, but if you have the ability to install Linux, there are any number of inexpensive mini-computers that will run NAA (networkaudiod) very nicely.

Thank you Jud :)

I do not have any knowledge and will to play with Linux. I believe both Sotm and Sonore worked hard in implementing their devices well beyond any standard Raspberry. 

So my question is why there is no further implementation for an end point. If, if, if a Bricasti M5 (just as an example) performs better that the two renders I mentioned, why I cannot have it as an end point instead of a music server not compatible with HQ Player.

Am I crazy thinking that optimization on the server side (MoBo, SSD, RAM, PSU, Win or Mac)  is not as much important as the one you can get out from the device (power/circuitry/components/Linux) that is actually connected to the DAC after the cleansing via ethernet?

I am happy with the Ultrarendu, Isoregen, LPS1, Sotm 1000 endless caterpillar, but I am surprised there is no product out in the market that combine them all and maybe add a GUI and a AES or I2s or RJ45 output in the mix...

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Exactly, I've seen that when looking for the switch! Does it plays HQP out of the box?

(I see from your sig we have couple of pieces in common... love the amp!)

1 hour ago, rikirk said:

Does it plays HQP out of the box?

I don't know anything more than what is on their website.

Music Playback Software 
- Roon Bridge 
- NAA 
- uPNP Client 

7 hours ago, rikirk said:

So my question is why there is no further implementation for an end point. If, if, if a Bricasti M5 (just as an example) performs better that the two renders I mentioned, why I cannot have it as an end point instead of a music server not compatible with HQ Player.

It largely depends how much customers voice their needs towards manufacturers. For example Roon is much more active pushing their things into various devices, because they have people dedicated to that. While I don't have time for doing such things...

And many manufacturers are not very proactive on such things, or in general have software people in house.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:19 PM, Miska said:

AKM chips allow more direct DSD conversion in DSD Direct mode than what is available from ESS. This is similar to conversion by Cirrus' CS4398 in Direct DSD mode, or TI chips.

Hi Jussi

Would you put the Burr Brown DSD1793 (which iFi uses in their iDSD models) in the same class as AKM , i.e the DSD1793 allows direct DSD conversion ?