IGNORED

HQ Player

My Core 2 Duo MBP seemed much happier with PCM oversampling than it was when oversampling from PCM to DSD. No dropouts with oversampling to DSD64, though there was breakup when trying oversampling to DSD128, but even with DSD64 sound wasn't as good. I'll see whether the volume setting makes a difference.

My 2012 MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM) does not skip a beat upsampling DSD64 > DSD128 or PCM > DSD128 - CPU runs at less than 15% throughout. no drops, etc. Very nice :)

poly-sinc-short-mp DSD5v2

I have nearly the exact same Macbook Pro as jhwalker above (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16Gb ram, SSD hard drive, running OSX 10.9.3), and I have nothing but dropouts when trying to upsample PCM to DSD128. I tried various volume settings, all the way down to -6db as a "max" volume, and the +6db option is unchecked. Doesn't matter.

I am running an iFi iDSD Nano DAC if that makes a difference, and I have DoP selected as the SDM Pack. No other apps are running on the Mac, and the CPU utilization is very low when running HQPlayer, so it doesn't appear that I am running out of CPU headroom. No matter which combination of "poly" filters and modulator I use, I experience dropouts via my DAC. I have no problems when upsampling PCM, but the DSD upsampling sounds so much better in between the dropouts, and I really want it to work.

Any thoughts??

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

I have nearly the exact same Macbook Pro as jhwalker above (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16Gb ram, SSD hard drive, running OSX 10.9.3), and I have nothing but dropouts when trying to upsample PCM to DSD128. I tried various volume settings, all the way down to -6db as a "max" volume, and the +6db option is unchecked. Doesn't matter.

I am running an iFi iDSD Nano DAC if that makes a difference, and I have DoP selected as the SDM Pack. No other apps are running on the Mac, and the CPU utilization is very low when running HQPlayer, so it doesn't appear that I am running out of CPU headroom. No matter which combination of "poly" filters and modulator I use, I experience dropouts via my DAC. I have no problems when upsampling PCM, but the DSD upsampling sounds so much better in between the dropouts, and I really want it to work.

Any thoughts??

That's really odd - I have the same iFi iDSD Nano, upsampling both PCM and lower-rate DSD to DSD128, CPU normally about 15-25%, no interruptions:

Screenshot 2014-06-29 22.03.41.png

As you note, it doesn't seem that CPU utilization is an issue - are you sure there's not a problem with your USB cable / connection? I've noticed my cable is a bit loose in the socket these days :/ so every once in a great while I get a bit of a drop out when the cable wobbles in the socket (one thing I hate about USB). Rock solid other than that.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Have you tried increasing the buffer time in Preference for HQP from the default? I had to increase it to 50ms and I can do 256fs without dropouts now. I'm using a Mac Mini 2.7ghz i7, with the CAD script, for music only.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

As you note, it doesn't seem that CPU utilization is an issue - are you sure there's not a problem with your USB cable / connection? I've noticed my cable is a bit loose in the socket these days :/ so every once in a great while I get a bit of a drop out when the cable wobbles in the socket (one thing I hate about USB). Rock solid other than that.

Have you tried increasing the buffer time in Preference for HQP from the default? I had to increase it to 50ms and I can do 256fs without dropouts now. I'm using a Mac Mini 2.7ghz i7, with the CAD script, for music only.

@jhwalker - I too noticed the loose USB connection, so I make an effort to not move the laptop while playing music, so that's not the issue. Upsampled PCM plays just fine; dropouts when I try to upsample to DSD128. I will need to try DSD64 and DSD256 to see if it's the same with dropouts.

@Pocobear - I did play with the buffer, and increased it to the max allowed in the settings, but the dropouts still occur :( Thanks for reminding me about the script. I will need to try that.

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

This is a perfect application for Stabliant 22(a). No pun intended!

@jhwalker - I too noticed the loose USB connection, so I make an effort to not move the laptop while playing music, so that's not the issue. Upsampled PCM plays just fine; dropouts when I try to upsample to DSD128. I will need to try DSD64 and DSD256 to see if it's the same with dropouts.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I'm using the last build of the HQPlayer MAC version but I hear some distortion/electric noise for the high frequencies in one of the channels...

Does anyone experience my same issue?

Tks

Not at all. Clear as a bell. My cross to bear at the moment is to how to repair the latest beta for Mac so that it will keep my Preferences from defaulting after setting them and how to use the library function so that I can summon it after creating a tree and saving that tree. It is so convenient to have my music library in the top window.

I followed Miska's kind and helpful steps using Repairing Permissions and then when that did not work to rename the ~/ .HQPlayer directory to old. I do not know how to delete it and would not without Miska's precise instructions as I do not wish to assume I can do something I am not knowledgeable about doing and make matters worse.

Aside from being a pain, I am hoping that my particular circumstance is of some use to Miska as the build is in beta. Perhaps there is something that is making the difference that is useful to Miska to examine for cause and effect, or not.

Miska was kind enough to PM me and knows of my predicament. I like happy endings.

Best,

Richard

I'm using the last build of the HQPlayer MAC version but I hear some distortion/electric noise for the high frequencies in one of the channels...

Does anyone experience my same issue?

Tks

What model / vintage Mac with which processor are you using ?

what input data format, and which output data format ?

which filter settings are you running ?

we have gotten screechy sound when running a filter and input data format that was taxing our computer to heavily

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Not exactly a vintage Mac....;-)...neither cutting edge

It is a MacBook Pro 2012 with an Intel Correct i5 2,3 GHz processor and 8Gb of Ram

I'm using FLAC files (not particularly demanding, 44.1hKz from CD ripping) sent via USB to my Playback Designs MPS-5

These are my settings for HQPlayer:

- SDM Pack: DoP

- Buffer type: default

- DAC bits: default

- Filter: Polly-sync-shrt

- Dither: TPDF

- Sample rate (/limit): 384000

- Oversampling: Poly-sync-shrt

- Modulator: DSD5v2

- Bit rate: 6144000

Any suggestion?

Music seems gorgeous even if it is slightly distorted, so I'd like to solve this problem and enjoy the beta....waiting for August

Takes

Fabio

Any suggestion?

Music seems gorgeous even if it is slightly distorted, so I'd like to solve this problem and enjoy the beta....

Is your selected output format PCM or SDM (right-most drop-list in main window)? In case you are using PCM output, I suggest trying to set "DAC bits" to 24 in Preferences.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I followed Miska's kind and helpful steps using Repairing Permissions and then when that did not work to rename the ~/ .HQPlayer directory to old. I do not know how to delete it and would not without Miska's precise instructions as I do not wish to assume I can do something I am not knowledgeable about doing and make matters worse.

As an FYI, I use this program to view hidden folders and their contents:

Path Finder 6 by Cocoatech

This includes an option to view/hide hidden folders.

There's a 30 day trial. You can download this, view that hidden folder, and easily rename or delete it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

@Pocobear - I did play with the buffer, and increased it to the max allowed in the settings, but the dropouts still occur :( Thanks for reminding me about the script. I will need to try that.

After more experimenting today....

- I still get dropouts when upsampling PCM to DSD64 and DSD256, not only DSD128

- I also get dropouts when playing a DSD64 file natively, and when trying to upsample it to DSD128

- I did try one of the OSX optimization scripts, and that didn't help with the dropouts

- I also played with different files formats (e.g. 16/44k FLAC, various AIFF,) to no avail, still have dropouts

This is baffling.. :(

- I also get dropouts when playing a DSD64 file natively, and when trying to upsample it to DSD128

- I did try one of the OSX optimization scripts, and that didn't help with the dropouts

- I also played with different files formats (e.g. 16/44k FLAC, various AIFF,) to no avail, still have dropouts

Which firmware do you have in iDSD Nano? There was a compatibility issue with USB3 ports of my iMac and first firmware revision of iDSD Nano. This was fixed by a firmware update from iFi.

Are you playing the files from local HDD or from a network share?

Do you have any resident processes/applications that could be hooking to input files or the audio output device? I have tested HQPlayer with Kaspersky and F-Secure anti-virus solutions without problems. But anti-virus software is commonly something that is hooking itself between applications and files on the file system.

I use this program to view hidden folders and their contents:

Path Finder 6 by Cocoatech

This includes an option to view/hide hidden folders.

There's a 30 day trial. You can download this, view that hidden folder, and easily rename or delete it.

FileXaminer is only $10:

FileXaminer

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

This is baffling.. :(

Which firmware do you have in iDSD Nano? There was a compatibility issue with USB3 ports of my iMac and first firmware revision of iDSD Nano. This was fixed by a firmware update from iFi.

Are you playing the files from local HDD or from a network share?

Do you have any resident processes/applications that could be hooking to input files or the audio output device? I have tested HQPlayer with Kaspersky and F-Secure anti-virus solutions without problems. But anti-virus software is commonly something that is hooking itself between applications and files on the file system.

I have the latest 4.02 firmware loaded on the iDSD Nano. I run off of my internal HD, which is an SSD drive.

I will have to see what other processes might be running (e.g. Little Snitch and Teamviewer are running for sure, but I will have to look for others; no anti-virus software running).

I have no apps running actively when HQP is running, and my overall CPU load is very low (17% to less than that). However, the HQP process by itself is fluctuating wildly.... when upsampling to DSD128, the HQP process was showing anywhere from 90% to over 105% or higher. When upsampling to DSD64, the HQP process was fluctuating as well, however it was only in the 40% to 60% range, but dropouts were occurring as well. Is this normal, or is this why I am getting the continuous dropouts?

Would a captured log file help out?

when upsampling to DSD128, the HQP process was showing anywhere from 90% to over 105% or higher. When upsampling to DSD64, the HQP process was fluctuating as well, however it was only in the 40% to 60% range, but dropouts were occurring as well. Is this normal, or is this why I am getting the continuous dropouts?

It doesn't sound like CPU load issue... HQPlayer process takes 100 - 150% when upsampling to DSD128 on my Core i5 iMac, without any drop outs using iDSD Nano. Next highest load goes to coreaudiod system process.

Would a captured log file help out?

It could have some indication, but it may be that I need to add some more log output related to this issue. I will try to make a new beta Wed/Thu with some fixes for Mytek USB / Metric Halo and add some log output about CoreAudio buffer handling.

I'm really enjoying my trial of this software, and think I'm hearing a very nice SQ upsampling all my content to DSD128. Still trying the various filter combinations, etc., but was wondering: is there a reason Apple Lossless (ALAC) is not supported? Since I use iTunes for library management, *all* my tracks (save my small DSD collections) are in Apple Lossless format, and it's a bit of a pain to convert to AIFF (or whatever) to get HQPlayer to load them.

Any possibility ALAC support will be added in future? Or is there a specific design / philosophical constraint against supporting it?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Indeed HQPlayer has superb sonics and (unlike certain other recently updated commercial audio players which CONTINUE to be riddled with bugs), has functioned near flawlessly on my machines.... even in its present early Beta state !

I too put the request for ALAC support forward to Jussi, given that ALAC is no longer encumbered by any licensing requirements and that HQPlayer is now available for the OS X platform, it would certainly much appreciated to enable such functionality.

Success with Metric Halo!

Success with Mytek too! Thanks Jussi!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I too put the request for ALAC support forward to Jussi, given that ALAC is no longer encumbered by any licensing requirements and that HQPlayer is now available for the OS X platform, it would certainly much appreciated to enable such functionality.

+1

and ASIO support for OS X?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)