IGNORED

HQ Player

5 hours ago, Hoang Anh said:

Is Hqplayer work well with external GPU. It expensive than inside card. But It may reduce noise for computer. And use it mini mac or NUC (along linear PSU) is a good ideal.

If the Nvidia driver works with the eGPU, then HQPlayer should work with it too. Since the only thing from HQPlayer's perspective is the Nvidia driver...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi, I've posted this on the dietpi forums, but no luck...I'm wondering if someone can help me patch the linux kernel on my dietpi (on a pi3) so that it supports my Auralic Vega DAC.  Currently, I am using Jussi's NAA image on an x64 NUC and I would like to run dietpi instead since that can also serve as a Roon endpoint.  However, it does not seem like the kernel that comes with dietpi 4.14.70-v7+ supports the Vega. 

After some googling, I found this, but have no idea what to do with it!  https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10353615/

Thanks, Hammer

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I've posted this on the dietpi forums, but no luck...I'm wondering if someone can help me patch the linux kernel on my dietpi (on a pi3) so that it supports my Auralic Vega DAC.  Currently, I am using Jussi's NAA image on an x64 NUC and I would like to run dietpi instead since that can also serve as a Roon endpoint.

Likely it won't provide much happiness, since RasPi is quite limited on the USB bus and trying to do higher rates usually lead to a popping problem. So I'd rather stick to x64 hardware (for example the recommended ones). RasPi is fine through it's built-in I2S though, up to 192/32 PCM with HifiBerry and other similar DACs, providing single integrated networked DAC solution.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Likely it won't provide much happiness, since RasPi is quite limited on the USB bus and trying to do higher rates usually lead to a popping problem. So I'd rather stick to x64 hardware (for example the recommended ones). RasPi is fine through it's built-in I2S though, up to 192/32 PCM with HifiBerry and other similar DACs, providing single integrated networked DAC solution.

Thanks for the heads up...would a pi3+ be any better?  If it's possible to patch, I'd like to try since the other feature I's like to get is being able to stream spotify to the DAC.  Hammer

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Thanks for the heads up...would a pi3+ be any better?  If it's possible to patch, I'd like to try since the other feature I's like to get is being able to stream spotify to the DAC.  Hammer

AFAIK all Pi's have same problem. For some stupid reason, they put Ethernet interface on the same USB bus as the USB type-A connectors are and this is one of the primary reasons for problems.

Question:

I have been exploring HQP and HQPe, and I would like to repurpose the Beaglebone Black I have from a previous CA project from several years ago to be an NAA. I have downloaded the BBB image from Sygnalist, copied the image to the MicroSD card with Etcher, but when I try and upload it into the BBB using the Boot Switch, nothing happens. This works for the DLNA image from the previous project. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks, John

23 minutes ago, jbparrish said:

I have been exploring HQP and HQPe, and I would like to repurpose the Beaglebone Black I have from a previous CA project from several years ago to be an NAA. I have downloaded the BBB image from Sygnalist, copied the image to the MicroSD card with Etcher, but when I try and upload it into the BBB using the Boot Switch, nothing happens. This works for the DLNA image from the previous project. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

It should work if you just insert the microSD into BBB. For my BBB's I think I've just dumped the eMMC full of zeros so it cannot accidentally boot from there.

7 hours ago, ddetaey said:

Any recommended modulator with Closed-Form / (DSD256)?

Modulator choice depends primarily on the DAC, while filter choice is more depending on one's preferences / focus areas.

With DAC8DSD you are good with any of the modulators. When running at DSD512 I'd start with ASDM7 and ASDM5  and then maybe DSD5 or something else. Same should go fine for DSD256 too. If one drops to DSD128, then maybe start with fifth order modulators first, or at least switch to "narrow band" analog filter. With ASDM7 and DSD256 I would also maybe keep "narrow band" analog filter (the wide mode off), but it is also quite system dependent.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Modulator choice depends primarily on the DAC, while filter choice is more depending on one's preferences / focus areas.

With DAC8DSD you are good with any of the modulators. When running at DSD512 I'd start with ASDM7 and ASDM5  and then maybe DSD5 or something else. Same should go fine for DSD256 too. If one drops to DSD128, then maybe start with fifth order modulators first, or at least switch to "narrow band" analog filter. With ASDM7 and DSD256 I would also maybe keep "narrow band" analog filter (the wide mode off), but it is also quite system dependent.

Miska, 

Any specific reason why you don't mention AMSDM7 512+fs modulator here?

4 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I listen at DSD128 on Mac.

What are wide or narrow band analog filters?

Is that just for a specific dac?

Yes, that is specific to DAC8 DSD. It has two analog filter options, alternate one has higher corner frequency, dubbed "wide mode". At DSD512 using ASDM7 there is ~15 dB level difference in peak ultrasonic noise level between the two options (absolute level being low both cases).

That being somewhat similar to AKM DAC chip 50/150 kHz filter selection (in DSD Direct mode) though.

4 hours ago, craighartley said:

Any specific reason why you don't mention AMSDM7 512+fs modulator here?

It works too, just being more "strange beast" in nature, so not as "safe bet" for all cases. If you use it with DAC8 DSD, you likely get better performance by keeping analog filter in the "narrow" mode (at least if you use it at DSD256). Because it utilizes the fact that at highest DSD rates analog filter kicks in at relatively lower frequency in relation to the sampling rate. Analog filter corner frequency is fixed (or you have just two options like in DAC8 DSD) while noise slope keeps moving up in frequency as you increase sampling rate.

On purpose it allows DSD256 (gray zone), although it is not recommended for rates below DSD512.

Brought this up before never got a answer.Run HQPlayer and Roon on my pc.Use a nuc as naa.In the last 2 builds when I use HQPlayer and Roon together  everything is great..When I use HQPlayer on its own lots of time will have to restart music as it stutters.Pc has enough power.Weird thing when using Roon with HQPlayer when I open task manager cpu runs at a constant 22%.When I run HQPLAYER on its own the cpu usage in task manager is all over the place ?

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Brought this up before never got a answer.Run HQPlayer and Roon on my pc.Use a nuc as naa.In the last 2 builds when I use HQPlayer and Roon together  everything is great..When I use HQPlayer on its own lots of time will have to restart music as it stutters.Pc has enough power.Weird thing when using Roon with HQPlayer when I open task manager cpu runs at a constant 22%.When I run HQPLAYER on its own the cpu usage in task manager is all over the place ?

What kind of content on what kind of media are you playing? When you use Roon vs HQPlayer local playback, the way content ends up in HQPlayer is drastically different. For your case, one of these seems to behave better than the other. Also the OS you use to host HQPlayer has big impact. Is Roon on the same or different machine?

Windows 10 on both core pc and naa device.Use with tidal and my library on external ssd drive.All files are flac 16 bit 44.1 files.Also another symptom is HQPlayer is very slow for commands .Say I hit pause it takes about 10 secs to stop music.Upsamble all to dsd 256.

30 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Windows 10 on both core pc and naa device.Use with tidal and my library on external ssd drive.All files are flac 16 bit 44.1 files.Also another symptom is HQPlayer is very slow for commands .Say I hit pause it takes about 10 secs to stop music.Upsamble all to dsd 256.

Sounds a bit mysterious. On my Mac Mini, running High Sierra or Win 8.1 I have content on external Thunderbolt HDD and it plays without issues, either locally or through Roon. On my other Windows machines, I play over network from SMB share without problems. Tested with Kaspersky and F-Secure AV.

You could try setting your power profile to "High performance" and see if it makes any difference. What AV solution do you have? (if you don't have any 3rd party, is it falling back to Defender?) I know Defender is sometimes causing huge delays.