IGNORED

HQ Player

Just to add to the discussion about CPU\GPU with the xtr filter - my 1950X Threadripper (OC'ed up to 4GHz) cannot play 48k/24bit -> DSD512x44.1 without breaks. CPU load is at 80%.

96k/24bit -> DSD512x44.1 is fine though.

The 16M filter is breaking with any clock -> DSD512x44.1. I guess I would have to upgrade to 2990WX :)

Kind of a luke-warm 4* Review of Ifi Pro IDSD Dac at What Hi-Fi today.

Is there anything besides Exa Sound that will get DSD 256 on Mac?

Mytek Brooklyn+ only get s DSD 128 on Mac.

I'm not interested in the cheaper Ifi's.

Seems Windows and Linux have it over the Macs for HiRes Computer Playback at higher Rates.

Just now, jimdukey said:

Kind of a luke-warm 4* Ifi Pro IDSD Dac at What Hi-Fi today.

Is there anything besides Exa Sound that will get DSD 256 on Mac?

Mytek Brooklyn+ only get s DSD 128 on Mac.

I'm not interested in the cheaper Ifi's.

Seems Windows and Linux have it over the Macs for HiRes Computer Playback at higher Rates.

RME ADI-2 DAC, warm recommendation from my side. Up to 768/32 PCM and DSD256 (including 48k x256) on any platform.

Just remember to turn on DSD Direct mode to disable PCM conversion. This means that it doesn't have volume control (because it is digital). Which also means forgetting about using it's headphone output with DSD Direct (not supported due to lack of volume control).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

This RME dac needs an ext psu - is it 24v? Elevates $s if you want to avoid smps ...

But, looks good.

Maybe some Miska measurements a la the ifi idsd are on the way ...?!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

How much costs this stuff?

Which DAC chipset?

Sounds strange that is only DSD256 and 768 PCM...

RME ADI-2 DAC, warm recommendation from my side. Up to 768/32 PCM and DSD256 (including 48k x256) on any platform.

Just remember to turn on DSD Direct mode to disable PCM conversion. This means that it doesn't have volume control (because it is digital). Which also means forgetting about using it's headphone output with DSD Direct (not supported due to lack of volume control).

It has AK4490 DAC chips. That's 768k PCM and DSD256. The device is always DoP, so the PCM and DSD rates match. USB interface is RME's own FPGA implementation.

I have two ADI-2 Pro's (AE and non-AE) which is largely the same, but with ADC side too (768k PCM and DSD256 too). Digital inputs, and on Pro also analog inputs, both PCM and DSD work fine with HQPlayer Embedded.

Help please! I just updated to HQP 3.25.0. I uninstalled the older 3.22.0 before installing the new version. Tried to play an album, no sound. I rescaned the files in library. Played again, no sound. I uninstalled 3.25.0 and re installed 3.22.0. the player works fine. Any suggestions? My OS is windows 7 home premium. Holo Spring DAC. Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Yun66 said:

Help please! I just updated to HQP 3.25.0. I uninstalled the older 3.22.0 before installing the new version. Tried to play an album, no sound. I rescaned the files in library. Played again, no sound. I uninstalled 3.25.0 and re installed 3.22.0. the player works fine. Any suggestions? My OS is windows 7 home premium. Holo Spring DAC. Many thanks!

If you can email me log of playback session through both versions, it could tell something...

18 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Hello Miska,

I have a question about mac OS audio MIDI Setup, maybe it was answered before, but I didn't find anything on this. I remember you suggested to check built-in output as a device. Is it important what format is selected? 

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.53.10.png

The point is to set something else as default output device than the DAC, so that macOS itself or other applications don't try to mess with the DAC while it is used by HQPlayer.

Like here you can see built-in output selected as default for all audio output:

722256593_ScreenShot2017-12-31at12_48_07.thumb.png.9e2012f99ef2ef64ab463d2ed5bf047c.png

The iFi device is what is being used by HQPlayer. The settings set here for it don't matter (are not used).

For the built-in output, you can set what ever you see fit as format.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:40 AM, Miska said:

Which iFi DAC do you mean, the Pro iDSD?

Any thoughts on the new “iFi GTOTM DigitalFilter“, available for the idsd micro bl as well? Guess you have to implement the mqa dl ... hmm.

Maybe missed earlier discussion ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Any thoughts on the new “iFi GTOTM DigitalFilter“, available for the idsd micro bl as well? Guess you have to implement the mqa dl ... hmm.

Maybe missed earlier discussion ...

I have not tried it, and based on what I've read I don't want to try it. I anyway use iFi DACs only in DSD mode and recommend others to do the same. I don't have MQA firmware in any of my iFi DACs and thus neither that filter. I don't need MQA, I don't want MQA and especially I cannot accept the things they removed to make space for that functionality in the XMOS MCU.

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have not tried it, and based on what I've read I don't want to try it. I anyway use iFi DACs only in DSD mode and recommend others to do the same. I don't have MQA firmware in any of my iFi DACs and thus neither that filter. I don't need MQA, I don't want MQA and especially I cannot accept the things they removed to make space for that functionality in the XMOS MCU.

GREAT ANSWER! I hate this new MP3, MQA is a JOKE...

On 10/20/2018 at 11:16 AM, Miska said:

The point is to set something else as default output device than the DAC, so that macOS itself or other applications don't try to mess with the DAC while it is used by HQPlayer. [...]

Thank you Miska,

I have another question. What is the best way(s) to completely bypass the digital volume control in PCM if I would like to control volume with iDSD micro?

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I have another question. What is the best way(s) to completely bypass the digital volume control in PCM if I would like to control volume with iDSD micro?

There's no point in doing such thing. You cannot bypass it if you do upsampling, otherwise you'll get intersample overs and that in turn will trigger the limiter. So just leave it at -3 dBFS and then it's safe for most content (not all though).