IGNORED

HQ Player

10 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Can you share with us which specific model GeForce RTX 2080 you are using for this? i.e. how much ram; etc.

This one:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-RTX2080-8G/

image1.thumb.jpeg.02c1c91fd565a76a8f0f5ea7c5b5a76a.jpeg

But I took that one because I wanted to fit it in max two slots (a bit smaller) for my Windows build machine. But now I can still fit a second one. The fan is not very quiet under heavier load, so for audio server I would take this one instead:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING/

Which is equivalent of the GTX1080 STRIX one I have in the i7 6950X machine (very quiet). The card is huge though, so it needs a large chassis.

In the middle there's this one, which is more quiet, but not as much as the huge three fan version:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX2080-O8G/

This is similar to the older GTX 10-series one I have in my Linux workstation. Takes 2.7 slots though, so it is bigger than the first one.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

This one:

But I took that one because I wanted to fit it in max two slots (a bit smaller) for my Windows build machine. But now I can still fit a second one. The fan is not very quiet under heavier load, so for audio server I would take this one instead:

Which is equivalent of the GTX1080 STRIX one I have in the i7 6950X machine (very quiet). The card is huge though, so it needs a large chassis.

In the middle there's this one, which is more quiet, but not as much as the huge three fan version:

This is similar to the older GTX 10-series one I have in my Linux workstation. Takes 2.7 slots though, so it is bigger than the first one.

Very useful info. Thanks very much Miska.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I have not tested such setup, so I cannot promise anything. But if you put the new GeForce RTX 2080 in external enclosure, it could be able to do that, although the Thunderbolt connection will be some amount of bottleneck compared to internal 16x PCIe. However, HQPlayer doesn't really consume so much bandwidth between CPU and GPU so the bandwidth bottleneck there shouldn't be an issue. With audio, the amount of data to transfer is much smaller than with graphics (especially something like 4K video).

For me, I have now RTX 2080 in my i7 7700K desktop, and it can now do xtr filter from 44.1k PCM to 22.5792M DSD512.

Thanks Miska.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

This one:

That's a fabulous box, @Miska!!! So many drive bays, amazing. More details please?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

7 hours ago, rickca said:

Fractal has updated their product line with the Define R6 and Define S2.  

Yes, that machine is just so old that R6 didn't exist yet couple of years ago... And Seasonic has now less fanless PSUs available, so the one I have is not available anymore. They still have one though. And couple of models where the fan is stopped until it is needed and then starts slowly, I have such 850W model in the 6950X machine.

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska is it possible for you to generate a cab file of the HQP Windows install?  I wanted to try and see if it works under Windows IoT device :D

I have to admit I don't know how to do that... :D

It is quite a bit of effort to deal with Windows installer systems, so likely not. What is the thing with Windows IoT and cab files?

@Miska

does the bass boost felt when outputing PCM translate in x dB around y Frequency you would have identified?

With the TEAC 501 as NOS (upconvert No/ PCM filter off) fed PCM 384/ext2/shaped, the difference is not that tremendous with SDM ext2/ASDM5, depending on the source.

Sometimes I goof and forget to check I have selected SDM and then, gone PCM, I have very pleasant laid back sessions albeit a bit boring from too much comfort after a while.

If I then go analytic, PCM conveys a feeling of more bass with more impact albeit maybe fuzzy and general congestion happens once in a while while PCM converted SDM is remarkable ie on fast transients of drums, bright and even tensed plastic sounding as they should.

And I always end up SDM because of remarkable reconstruction of transients and because it's the credo but sometimes I miss the sense of rhythm  I got with PCM ; so does the bass boost felt when outputing PCM translate in x dB around y Frequency you would have identified?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

I have to admit I don't know how to do that... :D

It is quite a bit of effort to deal with Windows installer systems, so likely not. What is the thing with Windows IoT and cab files?

I need to do a bit more research but to install applications under Windows IoT they either have to be installed via Windows Store or using CAB files.  The initial goals is for me to see if Windows IoT with it's bare bone installation can be used as NAA on low powered devices and potentially run HQP Windows version on higher powered system doing away with the various optimization tricks ?

4 hours ago, shadowlight said:

I need to do a bit more research but to install applications under Windows IoT they either have to be installed via Windows Store or using CAB files.  The initial goals is for me to see if Windows IoT with it's bare bone installation can be used as NAA on low powered devices and potentially run HQP Windows version on higher powered system doing away with the various optimization tricks ?

For such setup I think you much better off with Linux. No restrictions on how you can customize the OS. And certainly better performance all the way.

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

For such setup I think you much better off with Linux. No restrictions on how you can customize the OS. And certainly better performance all the way.

I agree, but right now I am stuck with a Amanero USB with unstable native DSD support under Linux and I have pretty much given up on one being available that is stable ?

Sorry but it is quite stable, within some limitations ( no  DSD512x48 as that indeed is unstable)

DSD512 is running fine with Aminero firmware 2005be, with 2 restrictions:

1) no Windows support, so this one is Linux only

2) on the T+A dac , the relay(s) are not available to control switching of filter configuration. Hence, volume is best muted when changing filter, in order to avoid loud plop sounds through one's speaker.

I am extremely happy with the SQ offered by native DSD up to 512 under Linux. It is very stable and fantastic to listen to.

Dirk

6 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

Sorry but it is quite stable, within some limitations ( no  DSD512x48 as that indeed is unstable)

DSD512 is running fine with Aminero firmware 2005be, with 2 restrictions:

1) no Windows support, so this one is Linux only

2) on the T+A dac , the relay(s) are not available to control switching of filter configuration. Hence, volume is best muted when changing filter, in order to avoid loud plop sounds through one's speaker.

I am extremely happy with the SQ offered by native DSD up to 512 under Linux. It is very stable and fantastic to listen to.

Dirk

To me what you say is unstable :-).  I listen to Qobuz streaming and the playlist in question quiet frequently changes from 44.1 to 48 to multiples of those and I am up converting everything to 512DSD, which means I have to stay with Windows for now.

The latest version of HQembedded player allows to limit DSD512 (i.e. DSD512x48 is limited to DSD512).

I understand that listening to Qobuz via the Qobuz app does not offer this feature.

At the other hand, maybe DSD512x48 under Linux works perfectly with your dac, as apparently it does windows.

At least, if you ave the opportunity, I would try it out with your Dac.

Dirk

40 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

To me what you say is unstable :-).  I listen to Qobuz streaming and the playlist in question quiet frequently changes from 44.1 to 48 to multiples of those and I am up converting everything to 512DSD, which means I have to stay with Windows for now.

Or if you use for example ext2, or some other filter and stick to only one static output rate. That's what I usually do. ext2 is very quick to initialize too, so the reinitialization time between 44.1/48k content is very short.

20 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

The latest version of HQembedded player allows to limit DSD512 (i.e. DSD512x48 is limited to DSD512).

I understand that listening to Qobuz via the Qobuz app does not offer this feature.

At the other hand, maybe DSD512x48 under Linux works perfectly with your dac, as apparently it does windows.

At least, if you ave the opportunity, I would try it out with your Dac.

Dirk

I will try it over the weekend.  I use BubbleUPnP/Audirvana to send UPnP stream to HQPe as what ever stream that comes out and send the 512 stream over to Windows NAA device.

I am finding that Windows 10 HQ player is sounding very fine on my collection of dsf files.

Any tips on the settings people use are welcome; my settings are below.

(I just let HQ player default to whatever it does on installation.)

I looked up the settings in effect and I see:

Backend WASAPI (that's my Chord Driver).

Device: Default Endpoint.

SDM Pack: none.

SDM Defaults:

Oversampling: poly-sinc

Modulator: ASDM7

Bit Rate: 48k x 512

When playing music, I see Format: 2.8224M/1/2 -> 96k.

I bought HQ player a few months ago but I am new to it. I was using Jriver. I find it more focused and ambient than Jriver on dsd, with better staging and plumper textures.

My DAC is a Chord DAVE (in DSD+ mode). I am mainly doing listening through headphones (Focal Utopia and others.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

So far, HQplayer is pretty awesome and does seem to be a significant sonic improvement to Jriver (and Audionirvana,which I also tried.) (I was using bit-perfect mode for playback in Jriver.)

16 minutes ago, bellhead said:

I am finding that Windows 10 HQ player is sounding very fine on my collection of dsf files.

Any tips on the settings people use are welcome; my settings are below.

(I just let HQ player default to whatever it does on installation.)

I looked up the settings in effect and I see:

Backend WASAPI (that's my Chord Driver).

Device: Default Endpoint.

SDM Pack: none.

SDM Defaults:

Modulator: ASDM7

Bit Rate: 48k x 512

When playing music, I see Format: 2.8224M/1/2 -> 96k.

I bought HQ player a few months ago but I am new to it. I was using Jriver. I find it more focused and ambient than Jriver on dsd, with better staging and plumper textures.

My DAC is a Chord DAVE (in DSD+ mode). I am mainly doing listening through headphones (Focal Utopia and others.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

So far, HQplayer is pretty awesome and does seem to be a significant sonic improvement to Jriver (and Audionirvana,which I also tried.) (I was using bit-perfect mode for playback in Jriver.)

It seems you have PCM output with such settings.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to go back to a 2 X PC solution.... to feed my TAC 8 DSD DAC.  I just cannot get satisfactory performance out of the current system. I want to be able to upsample pretty much effortlessly....

I would appreciate any comments on the following proposed system to act as a server.

The server will just have ROON, HQPlayer on it (!) feeding my silent Windows PC with JCAT USB femto card to the DAC.

Fractal Design Define R6 Mid-Tower E-ATX Case - Black

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING WiFi LGA 1151-2 M-ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 8700K Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.70GHz Unlocked CPU Processor

Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 fan

Corsair DDR4 Vengeance PRO RGB 16GB (2x8GB) Memory   (X2  i.e. 4 X 8G, 1 for each slot)

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 DUAL OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Samsung 970 EVO 250GB Phoenix M.2 NVMe SSD (3400/1500)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

On paper, it looks like a beast! I can't see any obvious bottlenecks. I am not planning for it to be in the living areas, but would like it to be (reasonably) quiet.  I would also not want to have to upgrade for a few years....

Any comments much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

52 minutes ago, eternaloptimist said:

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 DUAL OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

Good option, but you could also check  if it would fit, ASUS has now also 2080 in STRIX-series, which could be quieter:

55 minutes ago, eternaloptimist said:

Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 fan

Maybe NH-D15S would also fit?

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

56 minutes ago, eternaloptimist said:

Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Just alternative possibility:

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

4 hours ago, bellhead said:

Ha ha, I was afraid of that. OK, how do I get DSD output from HQ player?

Are you sure? In the DSF/DSDIFF settings, the Direct SDM box is checked.

(The Conversion Type is "traditional" and the Noise Filter is "standard" and the Integrator is IRR.)

You should be able to select ASIO backend and Chord's ASIO driver as device. This should enable option in main window to switch to "SDM (DSD)" output mode, or leave it at "Auto" depending on your personal preference.

5 hours ago, bellhead said:

I would get started with poly-sinc-s2 first if you don't have very powerful computer...

Also remember to set PCM rate limit to 768k.