IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

I am sorry, Jussi, but now I am even more confused. I must be missing something, but I don't understand what is new about this feature. I have always been able to choose between "Time", "Remain", and "Total Remain" in the upper right corner of the HQPlayer interface on my desktop.

It was requested feature, now remote control applications (hqp-control and others) can change that mode remotely and get the corresponding times from HQPlayer. They can also figure out what is the currently selected mode if it gets changed. Previously this wasn't exposed through the control API.

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

What is hqp-control that you refer to? I see hqp-control.exe (189KB) in the program folder for HQPlayer, but I don't know what it does and clicking on it just causes a brief flash on the screen.

It is a command line utility to remotely control HQPlayer and comes with HQPlayer Desktop. It is also available as source code and it is the client side reference code for HQPlayer's control API. Roon, HQPDcontrol, Alchemy, Muso and Geoff's Kodi and JRiver bindings use this control API to control HQPlayer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

It was requested feature, now remote control applications (hqp-control and others) can change that mode remotely and get the corresponding times from HQPlayer. They can also figure out what is the currently selected mode if it gets changed. Previously this wasn't exposed through the control API.

It is a command line utility to remotely control HQPlayer and comes with HQPlayer Desktop. It is also available as source code and it is the client side reference code for HQPlayer's control API. Roon, HQPDcontrol, Alchemy, Muso and Geoff's Kodi and JRiver bindings use this control API to control HQPlayer.

Many thanks for this thorough explanation.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Miska said:

… and thanks very much for adding the time feature Miska. It’s very much appreciated!

geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

6 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

strange, in French we have cf too, and coming from the same latin locution conferre but the meaning is more "go see and check"

poly sinc definitely makes sense with hires ; can't tell about ext2 and n48 hires

I wish I could understand the theoretical differences between polysinc and ext2 better. I was hoping Missa would comment in relation to hires files to DSD512 to the T&A8.

Re- cf:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The abbreviation cf. (short for the Latin: confer/conferatur, both meaning "compare")[1] is used in writing to refer the reader to other material to make a comparison with the topic being discussed. It is used to form a contrast, for example: "Abbott (2010) found supportive results in her memory experiment, unlike those of previous work (cf. Zeller & Williams, 2007)."[2] It is recommended that "cf." be used only to suggest a comparison, and the word "see" be used to point to a source of information.[3][4]

This might be slight off topic, but regarding convolution on HQPlayer. In the past, I've been using T+A DAC8 DSD dac upsampled everything to DSD 512 through HQPlayer. However, earlier this year in order to simplify my system and deal with a difficult room situation, I switched to all-in-ony Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 with room correction. It works extremely well. However, Lyngdorf only supports DSD 128 and converts everything internally to 24/96. Not sure why it upsampled DSD 128 through HQP still sounds so much better.

I'm currently considering switching back to upsample DSD 512. But room correction is something I'd want. Any HQP user has good success with room correction while upsampling to DSD 512? How much pressure it puts on CPU? What is the best room correction software to use with HQPlayer that is easy/simple to use and is as good as Lyngdorf that doesn't suffer dynamics/sucks the life out of music. Is there any good instruction out there to use room correction software to use with HQPlayer?

5 hours ago, Rafi said:

Dear support:

I just upgraded my HQPlayer from version 3.21 to version 3.24, but now I am having an error "Cannot start because qwave.dll is missing". I uninstalled and reinstalled but error persists. Any advice?

you need to enable the QWave service.  What Windows OS are you using?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

5 minutes ago, Rafi said:

I am using window server 2012 r2

Ok, go into command prompt, type PS to enable powershell.  Install qwave by typing command:

Install-WindowsFeature -name qWave

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

11 hours ago, shahed99 said:

I'm currently considering switching back to upsample DSD 512. But room correction is something I'd want. Any HQP user has good success with room correction while upsampling to DSD 512? How much pressure it puts on CPU? What is the best room correction software to use with HQPlayer that is easy/simple to use and is as good as Lyngdorf that doesn't suffer dynamics/sucks the life out of music. Is there any good instruction out there to use room correction software to use with HQPlayer?

Since convolution in HQPlayer is processed at source rate (except for DSD-to-PCM where it is done after PCM conversion), the load mostly depends on format of the source material. For RedBook PCM, it is usually not heavy at all, for DSD-to-DSD it is really heavy.

In order of ease of use, correction filter tools probably go in this order:

1) Room Eq Wizard

2) Audiolense

3) Acourate

4) DRC

Acourate being the most powerful tool and Audiolense XO being second. Room Eq Wizard can be complemented with rePhase for more advanced filter generation.

Same for me, DSD 128/Euforia.

I also like the Ext2 Filter, and just tried the ASDM5 Modulator, and am preferring it to the ASDM7 I was using.

Even tho the DSD 5 was updated, Jussi said something to the effect that ASDM7 was more modern, I don't know exactly what he meant, but that ASDM7 was preferable.

So I tried the ASDM5, and am liking it!

ASDM7 seemed to have more separation of sounds, ASDM5 a more complete, blended whole.

Yes, I'm going New Age on this!

Of course it may be wrong...

23 hours ago, craighartley said:

I wish I could understand the theoretical differences between polysinc and ext2 better. I was hoping Missa would comment in relation to hires files to DSD512 to the T&A8.

I wish it too.

trying to make some theoretical sense of my readings, I wished mqa would win my 192 shoutout and thus have ext2, long, for 44.1; sinc, middle, for 96, and mqa, short, for 192 source files.

Unfortunately xtr2s, very long, won....

I could physically feel mqa go deeper down but preferred the tighter firmer more precise presentation of xtr

I want to ask for experience. Since I knew USb audio transmit do not error check and correct like copy file, and highest data rate  may result in more error, upsampling DSD to get good result need better connect. Has anyone try seperate USB card (instead on  motherboard on), good USB cable to get better result.

3 hours ago, Hoang Anh said:

I want to ask for experience. Since I knew USb audio transmit do not error check and correct like copy file, and highest data rate  may result in more error, upsampling DSD to get good result need better connect. Has anyone try seperate USB card (instead on  motherboard on), good USB cable to get better result.

There are other factors (analog domain) in USB that matter more, for those reasons USB ports matter. Be careful with audiophile data cables, many are not compliant with the specification and none (?) are certified. So often a HiSpeed, or SuperSpeed if the DAC has USB3 connector, certified standard cables are good choice - look for the certification label. Transfer is practically error free and you will very likely hear clear pop/crack (like dust on vinyl) if there are any errors.

6 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Using Ibasso Dx200 WaSaPi.  

Please go to Windows Control Panel -> Sound and then to properties of your DAC. From there to the Advanced-tab and see what formats are listed for the Default Format. These are the ones available from the WASAPI driver.

Here's an example from a TEAC DAC:

teac-properties1.thumb.png.f71e2f5ac30fad8b6cf262b03c4eeb22.pngteac-properties2.thumb.png.4a6ea65992d9c06a41a7e658adce1129.png

Does your DAC come with ASIO driver too? If it does, it may be good idea to try that one.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Please go to Windows Control Panel -> Sound and then to properties of your DAC. From there to the Advanced-tab and see what formats are listed for the Default Format. These are the ones available from the WASAPI driver.

Here's an example from a TEAC DAC:

teac-properties1.thumb.png.f71e2f5ac30fad8b6cf262b03c4eeb22.pngteac-properties2.thumb.png.4a6ea65992d9c06a41a7e658adce1129.png

Does your DAC come with ASIO driver too? If it does, it may be good idea to try that one.

Thank you, I will try it out with this.  I think WASAPI is maxed out at 384khz.  I tried ASIO, but it only does upto 192Khz ?

@Miska

Could we please get a ext2 filter that outputs to another DSD rate family (that is n48 to n128 only of DACs such as the TEAC)?

I guess that I would not be the only one pleased, ext2 becoming popular.

I'm back to xtr2s for 192 and 96 so I guess I favour tightness and precision ; to my ears ext2 has the pros of xtr2s while being less prone to a certain "verdeur" (harsh would be too strong a word, and even hard but...)

55 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

Thank you, I will try it out with this.  I think WASAPI is maxed out at 384khz.  I tried ASIO, but it only does upto 192Khz ?

My bad, I got messed up.

i used ASIO and it does upto 384.  When I picked 768, there was no sound playing.

Wasapi is stuck at 192Khz max 

11 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

My bad, I got messed up.

i used ASIO and it does upto 384.  When I picked 768, there was no sound playing.

Wasapi is stuck at 192Khz max 

I have been looking at the DX200 - I like having a fit for purpose device (i.e a DAP instead of a phone with an external DAC/AMP) and also like being able to also use as a good DAC.  Have you tried the DAC at DSD 512 with the ASIO drivers?