IGNORED

HQ Player

@Miska I've tested the CIC integrator. From DSD64/128/256 to DSD512, no stutter anymore. Thanks for the effort.

Do you also optmise the FIR integrator? I remember last time this FIR was also a bit unstable and caused stutter from time to time.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

It has always been optimized...

Great. Now all integrators work well. Thanks again.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

4 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

@Miska is the new poly-sinc- ext2 a less CPU demanding version of poly-sinc- ext or is it a completely different filter, I’m not 100% sure from the new manual. 

It is entirely different filter, but designed for similar goals. So they share some of the design parameters.

4 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

What at is the relevance of the Nyquist cut off?

That it is not a "half-band" filter that are otherwise common these days. Particularly it doesn't let any image band around Nyquist frequency (22.05 kHz for RedBook).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It is entirely different filter, but designed for similar goals. So they share some of the design parameters.

That it is not a "half-band" filter that are otherwise common these days. Particularly it doesn't let any image band around Nyquist frequency (22.05 kHz for RedBook).

Thank you. I'm certain one can spend fortunes in tweaks, cables, DACs and not get the tangible improvements you offer.

As of CIC integrator, that I picked as  my favorite last week : DSD 64 to 128 now works with convolution engine SAVE.Tried to convince myself ADD has more snap but I'm definitely more comfortable with the organic feeling conveyed by SAVE. At least with my Bowie's Ziggy SACD rip, the one source I tried today.

As of Sinc M : to SDM worked only with 44 here today ; might appeal to minringFIR aficionados, a damper afaik, based on one track : Pepe Romero (K2HD sampler)

As of ext2 to SDM worked only with 44 here today ; should be considered by aficionados of poly sinc xtr 2s. Loved it on Pepe Romero. hand claps and foot stomping might have less impact than with xtr but guitar has more...more mystery, resonance, richness, while being very clean. Last week MinringFIR shone on that track ; with ext2 I get interesting substance without MinringFIR's (perceived) damping effect

As of poly sinc mqa  : a new filter with n48 for me. linear won the comparison over poly sinc short on 24/192 Space Oddity. Guess there's no chance of highs roll off with 192 but mqa was more palatable, I'd say. Tried to nail it with Barenboim's Mozart's Quatuors (24/96). Piano sounded recessed compared to poly sinc short but strings more pleasingly flavoured. I have a bias against poly sinc mqa since it infatuated Serkin's piano (RB) ; playing Herbie Hancock solo 24/96, I'd say every note sounded like having more weight with poly sinc mqa and I have to admit I very much liked it ; maybe a guilty pleasure, time will tell.

As of poly sinc mqa mp : a new filter with n48 for me. Have not compared but enjoyed more than before difficult 24/192 "Pop" tracks such as Television's Marquee Moon

A last word in favor of poly sinc mqa : with poly sinc short the Barenboim's files sounded bass inflated ; with poly sinc mqa sound had more cohesion.

ext2 might become my favorite with RB and poly sinc mqa (mp) my favorite with hires + I can now keep CIC integrator/SAVE engine combo : 3.24 is a major release ; kudos and thanks

50 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

DSD 64 to 128 now works with convolution engine SAVE.Tried to convince myself ADD has more snap but I'm definitely more comfortable with the organic feeling conveyed by SAVE. At least with my Bowie's Ziggy SACD rip, the one source I tried today.

Whats the difference between overlap-save vs overlap-add???

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

52 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Whats the difference between overlap-save vs overlap-add???

After some research, found the difference.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So, I am comparing the HQPlayer to the Jriver and to me it seems the HQPlayer is much more accurate and neutral where as Jriver is more emphasizing into mid bass and warmer upper mid.  I will have to say that for what I am hearing, the HQPlayer is superior....anyways I paid for them all...lol.  Given the price of HQPlayer, it does not disappoint at all ! 

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

ext2 might become my favorite with RB and poly sinc mqa (mp) my favorite with hires + I can now keep CIC integrator/SAVE engine combo : 3.24 is a major release ; kudos and thanks

i play with it all day long ..

but at the end i always return to Polysinc short  and don't need anything else.. 

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Hi Miska, 

After trying several new filters and comparing them to the old favorites I am still quite impressed by ASRC filter. In my system and to my ears it gives very organic and natural sound which fits well to classical chamber or small jazz combos. I was looking again into manual and I see than sinc filter (which is ASRC now) is not recommended. Just of curiousity - why you include this and some other filters which are not recommended as well into the filters selection? If it is not recommended?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

After some research, found the difference.  

did you hear it ? Miska once said that ADD and SAVE achieve the same results  but that ADD should be preferred for its applied maths take a lesser toll on cpu.It thus could could be that I'm pleased by the influence of a noisier computer. However, like I wrote, SAVE sounds more organic to my ears, just as if my convolution filters were imprinted an octave lower inside the music files. What did you hear ?

10 hours ago, dean70 said:

The Sync-M filter has an issue playing DSD64 sources to PCM out. There is no audio and time counter rips through the track at about 5 x normal speed.

This is happening to me with sinc-M, but on PCM. Anything other than 44.1 doesn't output audio, the time counter rips through the track a lot faster than the correct time. The same fast speed occurs on Roon time counter at the same time.

Well, with PCM 44.1, the sound is absolutely amazing. My new favorite! It was closed-form-M before (that now is my 3rd favorite). But another odd thing using this filter is that the audio comes after 14 seconds of playing the track.

It's not like other heavy filters that "freezes" the system for some seconds before playing the track (only once after I launch HQP). With sinc-M, the playback starts immediately (on Roon and HQP), but the audio comes after 14 seconds, and audio stops when the track time ends, so I can't listen to the last 14 seconds of the track. This combined with the impossibility of playing anything other than 44.1 source (like MQA 48, 88 and 96 from Tidal on Roon) makes this filter impossible to use for me. I'm sad because it sounds amazing.

Poly-sinc-ext2 is now my 2nd favorite sounding filter, and the one I currently use on PCM. A pleasant listening.

I still didn't try the new SDM filters because my main DAC (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) is far away from me, and my secondary DAC only supports PCM (Audioquest Dragonfly Red).

It's so nice when new filters are released, thank you @Miska

9 hours ago, Miska said:

What is your output rate? Probably there's some bug in the filter's allowed conversion ratios rule...

The output rate is 176400. PCM source works fine with this filter ( both 44.1k and 48k families).

On an unrelated issue with pcm out, there is a snippet that plays from a previous track after stopping and starting a new playlist (like the contents of the last buffer) that only occurs with pcm out. This has been occurring over the last few versions.