IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

"DSD's sample rate is normally referenced as a multiple of 44.1Khz, so the standard sample rate is referred to as 64Fs (or 2.8224Mhz)."

And taking the context into account, that paragraph is only discussing possible alternatives for representing DSD sampling rates regarding base rate and multiplier and ends up concluding that "but decided in the end just to treat it as a simple value of 2.8224Mhz and use the standard interface to set it". (note also the annoying typo of "hz" instead of "Hz")

So it is overall not relevant for discussing possible rates for which there is no practical limitation anywhere in the SDK source code.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Steinberg ASIOSDK, page 49:

"DSD's sample rate is normally referenced as a multiple of 44.1Khz, so the standard sample rate is referred to as 64Fs (or 2.8224Mhz)."

I am pretty disappointed with this response.  I was able to get the latest Theyscon ASIO drivers that support 48k DSD from a Chinese vendor (Topping) in less than one day.   The Topping has an XMOS usb interface, which is the same as in the iFi.   I've also given the documentation from of Theyscon that says this rate is supported by their drivers.  Aren't they the providers of your ASIO windows drivers?  Are they not telling me the truth?

I am simply asking that you please provide me the updated Theyscon driver (or work with Theyscon, your supplier to get the latest).  You advertise on your web page that my device supports: "USB Input: up to PCM768kHz & DSD512 (24.6/22.6MHz)" so help me to get the support that I need to make your product work as advertised.   Please help out your customers who want this feature!

I think the quote is out of context and doesn't actually represent the capabilities or intentions of Steinberg ASIO API.  It is not meant to limit, but instead says:

The Audio Stream I/O API addresses the areas of efficient audio processing, high data throughput, synchronization, low latency and extensibility on the audio hardware side. The interface is not bound to any fixed number of input and output channels (of course this numbers is limited by the processing power and data throughput of the computer system itself). It puts no limitation on the sample rate (32 kHz to 96 kHz or higher), sample format (16, 24, 32 bit or 32/64 bit floating point formats). It takes advantage of today's computer architectures for high data throughput (PCI, FireWire). It supports sophisticated hardware solutions for additional audio processing but it remains simple in comparison to other approaches.

@AMR/iFi audio, I really like the device and want to keep it - and I hope that you can help me.  My return window on Amazon closes in the next 7 days.  Please help me!

On 8/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, jimdukey said:

Mytek Brooklyn Manual says that only DSD 128/Dop is supported on Mac.

DSD 256 is only Native, so an Exasound Dac their ASIO Drivers on Mac may be the only choice for DSD 256 on Mac.

Or maybe the Ifi IDsd Pro.

RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro can do DSD256 on Mac over DoP.

Also iFi micro iDSD can do it too. And iDAC2 if you flash it with special firmware version.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro can do DSD256 on Mac over DoP.

Also iFi micro iDSD can do it too. And iDAC2 if you flash it with special firmware version.

Any of the CURRENT iFi products support DSD256 over DoP (e.g., iFi Nano, iFi xDSD, etc.).

And they support "native" DSD (i.e., direct, not using DoP) via Linux / variants - so most of the streamers (e.g., microRendu-style) will support "native" DSD512.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

On 8/3/2018 at 11:24 AM, jimdukey said:

Mytek Brooklyn Manual says that only DSD 128/Dop is supported on Mac.

DSD 256 is only Native, so an Exasound Dac their ASIO Drivers on Mac may be the only choice for DSD 256 on Mac.

Or maybe the Ifi IDsd Pro.

Thanks. So, how configure Roon and HQPlayer for support MQA?

On 7/5/2018 at 8:30 PM, Miska said:

Yeah, Ales made a really nice GUI (HQPDcontrol) for controlling HQPlayer from Android devices. Nobody has yet made similar for iOS

(...)

WiFi-only Android tablets are cheap and quick solution to that problem, even if not used for anything else.

I did just that: I bought a little Android device a few days ago only to use HQPDcontrol. It works like a charm!

Since you've modified the ALBUMARTIST tag in the latest release HQPlayer's library really works for my needs now.

I would be glad if the "Albums" section could be sorted by "Artist" name ("Album Artist" that is)... not by Album name (this goes for HQPDcontrol obviously, but if I'm not mistaken Ales' HQPDcontrol can only take (read) what the actual HQP library provides).

If you could also possibly add support for "sort by" tags one day I would be totally happy (i.e. Album Artist: "The Smiths" / Sort by: "Smith, The" so that "The Smiths" are listed under "S" instead of "T").

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Hello, I have problems to read some flac files on HQPlayer and don’t understand the reason. These files are from Bandcamp. I usually buy complete album or EP and for some reason, some of the files (not all) cannot be played (hqPlayer is closing). If somebody has some idea what to check in the files.

I’ve tried to download Wav version and converted them in FLAC but it’s the same.

Thanks for any answer.

❤️poly sinc mqa mp

Drifting on the web in an armchair in the shade (it's hot...) I read it's Lampizator's recommended settings.

Tried it with regular NON MQA files and found it very nice with redbook (does not work with TEAC 501/Windows/n48k). If I was to bitch it I'd say it's tubey round simplified but I enjoyed it as clean smooth articulate & simply pleasant.

My base setting (and I've been true to it for months so maybe I'm just welcoming a change for the sake of novelty) is poly sinc xtr mp

What do you think what are your findings ?

And, @Miska, is it an heresy since that filter is designed to get rid of noise generated by the mqa process not to better other filters, or is there ground to this liking? 

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

❤️poly sinc mqa mp

Drifting on the web in an armchair in the shade (it's hot...) I read it's Lampizator's recommended settings.

Tried it with regular NON MQA files and found it very nice with redbook (does not work with TEAC 501/Windows/n48k). If I was to bitch it I'd say it's tubey round simplified but I enjoyed it as clean smooth articulate & simply pleasant.

My base setting (and I've been true to it for months so maybe I'm just welcoming a change for the sake of novelty) is poly sinc xtr mp

What do you think what are your findings ?

And, @Miska, is it an heresy since that filter is designed to get rid of noise generated by the mqa process not to better other filters, or is there ground to this liking? 

Pcm or dsd? 

Well, since we are posting our Fav Settings:

Poly sinc xtr mp 2s, 

ASDM 7, 48x128 for DSD 128

( only 44x128 on Mac D 150. Doh! )

Volume -3 and -3.

Was using Multi Core Greyed out.

With 3.22, checked Multi Core.

Don't know why anyone listens to A+, at least on Mac!

I didn't know the Mytek Brookln+ only gets DSD 128 on Mac/Dop,

because DSD256 was advertised.

Can't assume anything when buying a new dac!

Same 44x128 ( or whatever rate ) or 48x.

Some do, some don't.

What do some DSD 256 capable Dacs only get DSD 128 on Macs?

I thought DSD 512 was the line between Macs/Windows, etc.

At least in my system, with my DirectStream Junior which itself upsamples everything to DSD 1280 (20 times single rate DSD) - I've found HQP sounds best leaving PCM as PCM instead of upsampling it to DSD.  I upsample PCM to 352 and send it to the DirectStream for DSD upsampling.  After a long time of upsampling all PCM to DSD in HQP,  I've found the sonic benefits of keeping PCM as PCM, at least in my system, to be great and obvious.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:20 PM, ChrisVH said:

Is anyone else out there running Roon > HQ Player > Sonore UltraRendu (or Signature Rendu) > Singxer SU-1 via I2S (HDMI) to the Denafrips Terminator? If so, can you share your HQP & Roon settings?   

Never heard of Denafrips but do run a similar chain before that point. To me PCM and DSD sound best when not upsampled at all so I use none, none, none, 44100, 192 in embedded.

Jussi might argue that I don't need HQP if I don't want to upsample but HQP sounds much better than Roon, even when, or rather especially when, not upsampling. give it a try and you might just notice the natural timing and cohesion this gives you. or rather leaves untouched. 

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

On 8/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, saintkrusher said:

Thanks. So, how configure Roon and HQPlayer for support MQA?

You don't need to do anything special for this combination. Roon will handle MQA decoding on it's own and hand over the decoded stream to HQPlayer for upsampling. That's how it should be and it works fine.

3 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

It is a very short filter with slow roll-off, to go "MQA style", but not as extreme as MQA's filters. These filters are also suitable for playing hires content where the slow roll-off has less implications because of extra bandwidth and less content at highest frequencies near Nyquist.

3 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

It is a very short filter with slow roll-off, to go "MQA style", but not as extreme as MQA's filters. These filters are also suitable for playing hires content where the slow roll-off has less implications because of extra bandwidth and less content at highest frequencies near Nyquist.

6 hours ago, lian00 said:

Hello, I have problems to read some flac files on HQPlayer and don’t understand the reason. These files are from Bandcamp. I usually buy complete album or EP and for some reason, some of the files (not all) cannot be played (hqPlayer is closing). If somebody has some idea what to check in the files.

I’ve tried to download Wav version and converted them in FLAC but it’s the same.

Please send me email about this, I'd like to have some test file so I could look into this.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

At my age I don't hear anything close to Nyquist and probably neither at frequencies concerned by a "slow rolloff" !!

Maybe there's something palatable in the MQA style then ; this of course does not justify the MQA business, just a flavour that seems to fit certain cases