IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, chrille said:

Thanks for your input.

I will try the 30 days version.

Do let me /us know which one you prefer Audirvana or HQPlayer?

I listen exclusively to acoustic music and mainly  large scale  classical, and I prefer Pure Music over Audirvana with all three of my DACs Benchmark DAC2 ,Hugo1 and Chord Qutest.

Pure music player sounds warmer and more natural to my ears both via headphones Sennheiser HD800 and HEKV2 and most importantly via my big electrostatic speakers powered with 900 watts per channel.

With Audirvana I can't play as loud as via Pure Music without a hardening of tone and congestion at loud climaxes in classical music.

What I want and need is MAXIMUM TRANSPARENCY without having to fiddle with lots of different filter

settings.

I understand little of digital filtering  theory and just want the best possible SQ at the cheapest possible price.

In anticipation of response from n2it I would like to offer a little bit of my experience with HQPlayer. I listen mostly to solo, chamber, orchestra classical music and small combo jazz. When I started using HQP 3-4 years ago I was interesting mostly with converting everything to DSD format and even purchased new DACs with DSD capability. I tried all and every filters in SDM, poly-sinc-xtr was most interesting to me. Only recently I switched to PCM, and here I use FIR (and 768 sample rate) - it gives to my ears most natural "no-processed" sound which fits well to acoustic music in my system. Closed-form and xtr filters also sound very sweet, but both "add" something. Good luck with HQP!

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

In anticipation of response from n2it I would like to offer a little bit of my experience with HQPlayer. I listen mostly to solo, chamber, orchestra classical music and small combo jazz. When I started using HQP 3-4 years ago I was interesting mostly with converting everything to DSD format and even purchased new DACs with DSD capability. I tried all and every filters in SDM, poly-sinc-xtr was most interesting to me. Only recently I switched to PCM, and here I use FIR (and 768 sample rate) - it gives to my ears most natural "no-processed" sound which fits well to acoustic music in my system. Closed-form and xtr filters also sound very sweet, but both "add" something. Good luck with HQP!

I also listen mostly to classical instrumental music (solo keyboard and chamber music) as well as vocal jazz and small ensembles. I use XTR filter with the -2s to output DSD256 and really enjoy the results. My CPU load stays < 20% and NVidia CUDA offload shows GPU usage of around 10-15% as well on my mid-tier Windows PC. 

PCM w/FIR does add a bit of immediacy / presence but occasional stridency as well. My best results of all are with 24 bit FLAC or DSD64-DSF files upconverted to DSD256 --> very transparent, musically engaging sound but doesn't sound "processed" even though obviously conversions are at work.

Truly, setting up HQPlayer does not require very advanced computer skills. It is no harder than Foobar but the quality of output and versatility is far superior. it is well-worth downloading the trial and experimenting. I purchased it before my trial expired and am very glad I did.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

I also listen mostly to classical instrumental music (solo keyboard and chamber music) as well as vocal jazz and small ensembles. I use XTR filter with the -2s to output DSD256 and really enjoy the results. My CPU load stays < 20% and NVidia CUDA offload shows GPU usage of around 10-15% as well on my mid-tier Windows PC. 

PCM w/FIR does add a bit of immediacy / presence but occasional stridency as well. My best results of all are with 24 bit FLAC or DSD64-DSF files upconverted to DSD256 --> very transparent, musically engaging sound but doesn't sound "processed" even though obviously conversions are at work.

Truly, setting up HQPlayer does not require very advanced computer skills. It is no harder than Foobar but the quality of output and versatility is far superior. it is well-worth downloading the trial and experimenting. I purchased it before my trial expired and am very glad I did.

Yeah I agree too, that's the closest you can get to a custom DAC on software with the convenience of switching the filters at your disposal, room correction etc. Very good software

Just installed HQPlayer Desktop 3.22 on Win Server 2016 core with Audiophile Optimizer 2.20.  I installed qwave.dll into the system32 folder and the license into the installation folder under Program Files/Signalyst.  It won’t start.  I tried launching the .exe file from the installation folder and setting Roon and HQPlayer as the shell with no success.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Colin

Choice of upsampling, filters etc depends on dac, rest of the system, and most importantly listening preferences. Whether someone else prefers pcm or dsd or this or that filter is irrelevant to you - you have to try and work out what works best for you in your system.

20 yrs ago we used to buy components that matched well sonically eg bright speakers - buy a "warm" dac. The beauty of hqp is you can now completely change the sound without having to change hardware, even more so if you add convolution. Make it sound warm like tubes/harbeth or sharp/accurate like magtech/stats. You can change on the fly depending on source material or even mood/ambience.

2 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Just installed HQPlayer Desktop 3.22 on Win Server 2016 core with Audiophile Optimizer 2.20.  I installed qwave.dll into the system32 folder and the license into the installation folder under Program Files/Signalyst.  It won’t start.  I tried launching the .exe file from the installation folder and setting Roon and HQPlayer as the shell with no success.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Colin

So when you try to launch HQP desktop exe what happens?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

3 hours ago, sixman said:

Choice of upsampling, filters etc depends on dac, rest of the system, and most importantly listening preferences. Whether someone else prefers pcm or dsd or this or that filter is irrelevant to you - you have to try and work out what works best for you in your system.

Correct. However, the selection of options and variety of their combinations in HQP may be slightly overwhelming for a newcomer. That is why it would make sense to try settings already preferred by others for a start and then go on further. Or check manual which may be clearly understood or not. Or, to start with random hit and miss strategy, if one choose. 

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Correct. However, the selection of options and variety of their combinations in HQP may be slightly overwhelming for a newcomer. That is why it would make sense to try settings already preferred by others for a start and then go on further. Or check manual which may be clearly understood or not. Or, to start with random hit and miss strategy, if one choose. 

The first step for a newcomer is to workout the optimal input rate for their dac. Although a dac may accept dsd, it may perform better with pcm input. Try max rate for pcm and dsd that the dac will accept. Use the same/similar modulator and filter -then from there try different filters.

Unless they have your system and ears - no point using your settings as a starting point. Might totally confuse and put them off.

3 hours ago, sixman said:

The first step for a newcomer is to workout the optimal input rate for their dac. Although a dac may accept dsd, it may perform better with pcm input. Try max rate for pcm and dsd that the dac will accept. Use the same/similar modulator and filter -then from there try different filters.

Unless they have your system and ears - no point using your settings as a starting point. Might totally confuse and put them off.

I've been reading this thread from the very beginning, it contains tons of info, suggestions and discussions on preferable settings included. When I saw different people with very different ears and different sound systems recommend 768 rate for PCM or xtr filters for SDM I had some starting point instead of trying tens and tens possible combinations (or hundreds if one add dither, etc). It was working for me, why would not for someone else? People not as lazy as me would proceed any way they want, of course.

2 hours ago, frederick184 said:

I get an error saying the program cannot be started.  I forget the exact wording.  I'll look tonight when I get home.  

Colin

Did you first to run the command AO -wasapi?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 7/26/2018 at 12:37 AM, rayl1234 said:

I never could figure out how to get hqp set up such that arbitrary audio via wasapi and also via windows mixer to pass through hqp and have it output 768 or 705.6 to the usb device of my choice.

Setting up HQP to stream Tidal via Roon, and use all of Roon's and HQP's functionality is possible:

15782723_TidalStreaming-HQPto705.6.thumb.JPG.64dbfed66bdf881a5fb3c26d8fdc1525.JPG

But not sure how this fits with your "arbitrary audio via wasapi and also via windows mixer" requirement.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, manisandher said:

Setting up HQP to stream Tidal via Roon, and use all of Roon's and HQP's functionality is possible:

15782723_TidalStreaming-HQPto705.6.thumb.JPG.64dbfed66bdf881a5fb3c26d8fdc1525.JPG

But not sure how this fits with your "arbitrary audio via wasapi and also via windows mixer" requirement.

Mani.

yea... I am not looking for a Tidal only solution.  If I have some other web radio service or if I want to watch the Berlin Philharmonic via web access... not ideal quality, but I still want to be able to upsample those.....

HQ Player inside Roon even if no upsampling?

This might be a dumb question, but I keep reading HQ Player is better sounding than Roon. I used to use Audirvana+ 3 but the more recent build of Roon has finally beaten that on sound. I don't upsample as have an R-2R DAC which is also filterless.

Can anyone advise if HQ Player is still better than Roon player (inside Roon) and avoiding the usual 'up sampling is better' subject. Too big a subject / another subject . Thanks

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

3 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

This might be a dumb question, but I keep reading HQ Player is better sounding than Roon. I used to use Audirvana+ 3 but the more recent build of Roon has finally beaten that on sound. I don't upsample as have an R-2R DAC which is also filterless.

Can anyone advise if HQ Player is still better than Roon player (inside Roon) and avoiding the usual 'up sampling is better' subject. Too big a subject / another subject . Thanks

What dac do you have?

What pcm rate does it accept?

Sounds like no point for you to use any dsp.

Just now, sixman said:

What dac do you have?

What pcm rate does it accept?

Sounds like no point for you to use any dsp.

I have the Aries Cerat Kassandra. It used 16 AD1865 chips at no oversampling and no filter. Sounds absolutely marvellous. Beat the pants of any other DAC I have heard to date, inc the DAVE, CH Precision C1, TotalDAC, MSB Platinum IV with Signature PS, and others. But it can accept up to 384khz data. But no point up sampling in my case. I am asking if the player sounds better at bit perfect, no up sampling than Roon built in. I don't think I can trail HQ Player? I have Roon already on my server.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

10 hours ago, tboooe said:

Did you first to run the command AO -wasapi?

I ran the above command, however, I’d already installed wasapi when I installed Roon.  Anyhow, it didn’t work.  Same error - “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000ba).  Click OK to close the application”

Colin

8 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

There are no absolute answers, its all subjective.  I can say that for me, there's no question that Roon w/ HQP sounds better than Roon by itself.  And for me, both sound better than A+.

Regarding setting up HQP, it looks more complex than it is.  The main issue with HQP is not so much the setup, but its regular use.  The GUI is antiquated.  That's a primary reason why so many use Roon as the front end for HQP....

On 7/26/2018 at 2:37 AM, rayl1234 said:

"I never could figure out how to get hqp set up such that arbitrary audio via wasapi and also via windows mixer to pass through hqp and have it output 768 or 705.6 to the usb device of my choice."

That is what HQPlayer Embedded is for. So essentially you can build similar upsampler box out of it like MScaler, but in addition it works as a Roon endpoint, UPnP Renderer, and generally a remote controlled HQPlayer in addition to being digital and analog input DSP processor. Output can go to local (USB etc) audio interfaces or to network attached ones to NAA.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 7/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, chrille said:

And when I or others  ask questions of how it competes with DAVE/Mscaler and such,it seems Miska is recommending a Nvidiva  PC or something similar at basically the same price as an M-scaler. 

For a music lover without the tech interest and or knowedge how to set up comlicated players like his optimally Chord's alternative is very tempting indeed.

Give me,sell me a "click play", player pc upsampling way that is MUCH cheaper then the Chord very expensive alternative and sounds as superb and realistic with acoustic music  real instruments at a  much more competetive price!.

Cheapest machines that can run HQPlayer upsampling to 16fs PCM cost around 150€...

There are some companies like Small Green Computer and Pink Faun building computers with HQPlayer preinstalled.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, chrille said:

And does Miska's  much discussed,beat them all, DAC even exsist in real life????

If it is so fantastic as he claims it is,why doesn't he build them ?Why isn't for sale?

My DAC design is published only as proof-of-concept design. I don't have time or resources to manufacture hardware, I'm well busy enough working on software.

There are couple of commercial DACs built around similar implementation, like T+A DAC8 DSD, Holo Audio Spring / Cyan and Denafrips Terminator.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:31 PM, rayl1234 said:

Not arguing for one over other. Just want to try hqp. Does it have an api for custom filters too? If so I can also play with eliminating my somewhat clumsy bass management soln to nuke an annoying room mode. A platform that works for wasapi and windows mixer has other uses for me regardless of upscalng.  

Yes, there's convolution engine for which you can provide filter impulse responses as WAV-files (64-bit float recommended).

Popular tools for creating the filters include Room Eq Wizard, Acourate and Audiolense.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, n2it said:

@Miska, One of my DAC manufacturers gave me their latest, so I can confirm that the Thesycon USB Windows 10 64 bit ASIO driver version 4.43 works with 48x DSD.  I am also now able to convert 48Khz to 48x DSD512 with the poly-sinc-xtr-mp.    Still waiting on the other.

That is really great to hear! I hope @AMR/iFi audio will also provide updated driver that can do this! :)