IGNORED

HQ Player

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

My passive cooled i5-7600T (35W TDP) can also do poly-sinc-xtr-2s to DSD512. CPU load averages around 60%.

Since we are comparing...my i7-6700 converts redbook to poly-sinc-xtr-2s @ DSD512 with 2 channel convolution with a CPU load of around 45%.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

32 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Since we are comparing...my i7-6700 converts redbook to poly-sinc-xtr-2s @ DSD512 with 2 channel convolution with a CPU load of around 45%.

The TDP spec for the i7-6700 is the same as that of the i7-7700 at 65W.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

11 minutes ago, Allan F said:

The TDP spec for the i7-6700 is the same as that of the i7-7700 at 65W.

Exactly.  I didn't feel the modest performance boost of the 7700 was worth it so I was able to get a used 6700 cpu for cheap.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

38 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Exactly.  I didn't feel the modest performance boost of the 7700 was worth it so I was able to get a used 6700 cpu for cheap.

Makes sense. I probably would have done the same thing if I was into building my own server. However, I bought a turnkey server that came equipped with an i7-7700.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:54 PM, Miska said:

Usually not, if HQPlayer does limiting (counter increases), it is smooth and safe action. But the danger is if you try to fill in nulls by boosting those frequencies in room eq. So the danger is more in the design rather than use. So generally you cannot fill in dips with eq, only smooth out peaks. If there's a null, you can put endless amount of power trying to fill the void, but it will just increase power consumption and speaker excursion on those frequencies.

So in your case you essentially output 10x more power at certain frequencies than at others, so the overall level may not sound that loud, but those certain frequencies will still ask significantly more.

As I said before be careful and moderate with any boosts. The estimate HQPlayer calculates is only an estimate, depending on your filter design tool you can see the actual boosts straight from the tool (Room Eq Wizard for example).

Thank you here are my actual values. I think I identify the nulls on my measurements and do not try to fill, ie, the nasty 26 dB dip at 46 on my Right channel. But my understanding is that you can boost in minimum phase zones ; I do, up to 9 dB on top of a general Low Shelf.

RIGHT.txt

LEFT.txt

btw, sound is gorgeous and operation has been problem free, except full screen freezing, refusing to close (last update, Windows server 2012)

4 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Thank you here are my actual values. I think I identify the nulls on my measurements and do not try to fill, ie, the nasty 26 dB dip at 46 on my Right channel. But my understanding is that you can boost in minimum phase zones ; I do, up to 9 dB on top of a general Low Shelf.

RIGHT.txt

LEFT.txt

btw, sound is gorgeous and operation has been problem free, except full screen freezing, refusing to close (last update, Windows server 2012)

With 9 dB boost you need 9 dB compensation and use max -3 dB volume, or you use max -12 dB volume...

4 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Could have something to do with OpenGL drivers or something else. I don't support or test Windows Server versions, so cannot comment. What I've tested, has been working OK for me on Windows 10 Pro but if someone has problems with that on Win 10 Pro I'd like to hear about used GPU and driver version. Full screen mode in Windows is typically used for games and Windows Server is certainly not targeted to that market, so Microsoft and driver vendors may not test that much. But you can disable full screen mode from HQPlayer settings and use the same GUI in windowed mode instead and just maximize the window, you'll then have window frames and task bar though, but otherwise the same GUI.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 hours ago, westside said:

Hi,

@Miska

@all members 

According to you in term of sound quality when we use NAA the most impotant is the optimization of the server or only the quality of device that we use for NAA ?

Thank you for your answer.

I would say both are important if you are care about the final SQ. It would not be very meaningful to distinguish which is the most important.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

NAA is the one that does the actual audio output. HQPlayer could be running on a noisy server in your basement, or on something far away across the globe.

With NAA you need to worry as much about HQPlayer machine as you need to worry about Tidal's servers.

@Miska

Thank you for your answer but i dont understand the joke.

Do you mean Tidal’s servers are very bad ?

2 hours ago, westside said:

@Miska

Thank you for your answer but i dont understand the joke.

Do you mean Tidal’s servers are very bad ?

There's no joke. People usually don't worry about what kind of servers Tidal uses to provide their content (at least I've never seen any discussion on forums about the subject). Same way you don't need to worry what kind of server provides content to a NAA, because it doesn't matter from sound quality perspective as long as it has enough oomph to run the processing. Technically, it could be a server in some datacenter somewhere around the globe.

Whole point of NAA is to make HQPlayer server not matter.

So the NAA device is the most important by far in term of SQ ?

Yes...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I’ve not found that to be true. I have Ultrarendu as NAA and use two PCs one as file server and the other running HQPlayer. 

Every improvement I’ve made in the chain before the NAA just makes the overall sound much better. Things like lps-1, FMC and fiber, WSY2K12 and 16, the AudiophileOptimizer, Fidelizer, linear power supplies to power the pc and SSD drives, Elfidelity tweaks, Aurios under the PCs, Ethernet cables all contribute to making a System sound awesome. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

52 minutes ago, sgr said:

I’ve not found that to be true. I have Ultrarendu as NAA and use two PCs one as file server and the other running HQPlayer. 

Every improvement I’ve made in the chain before the NAA just makes the overall sound much better. Things like lps-1, FMC and fiber, WSY2K12 and 16, the AudiophileOptimizer, Fidelizer, linear power supplies to power the pc and SSD drives, Elfidelity tweaks, Aurios under the PCs, Ethernet cables all contribute to making a System sound awesome. 

Then you might be also able to tell us when does Tidal stream the best SQ during a day? IOW, can you tell any SQ difference if any changes on the Tidal server side?

NAA is the key device before the DAC. Optical Ethernet route before NAA is good approach for preventing EMI/RFI. 

My HQ pc is located in a different place from NAA with quite a long distance, and I can detect no difference whatsoever changing any things on HQ PC side.

BTW, I was also a fidelizer user and now I quit using it on HQ PC.

That software could improve the performance when you just want to use your PC solely for audio since it shut down lots of background services, but other features like “core-isolation” totally messed up with HQplayer and other software, games either causing HQPlayer stutter or frame stutter during gaming... and I will not encourage one to use fidelizer on HQ pc if the performance of your PC is not at the edge.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 hour ago, sgr said:

I'm sure it sounds great but much of this is hocus pocus.  Different power supplies for your PC won't change a thing...it can either support the electrical load or it cannot.  Isolation bearings won't do a lick of good unless they keep the PC chassis and its fans from vibrating against the ground where you can actually hear it.  Installing "audiophile grade" Ethernet cables, or USB cables or switching to fiber won't make a damn bit of difference either.  Data transmission over any distance, LAN or around the world isn't the same as the analog world.  The world of technology you depend on for your data every day will also transport your audio data around the world, into your house and to your DAC precisely every time.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

There's no joke. People usually don't worry about what kind of servers Tidal uses to provide their content (at least I've never seen any discussion on forums about the subject). Same way you don't need to worry what kind of server provides content to a NAA, because it doesn't matter from sound quality perspective as long as it has enough oomph to run the processing. Technically, it could be a server in some datacenter somewhere around the globe.

Whole point of NAA is to make HQPlayer server not matter.

Yes...

What he said.

28 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Then you might be also able to tell us when does Tidal stream the best SQ during a day? IOW, can you tell any SQ difference if any changes on the Tidal server side?

NAA is the key device before the DAC. Optical Ethernet route before NAA is good approach for preventing EMI/RFI. 

My HQ pc is located in a different place from NAA with quite a long distance, and I can detect no difference whatsoever changing any things on HQ PC side.

BTW, I was also a fidelizer user and now I quit using it on HQ PC.

That software could improve the performance when you just want to use your PC solely for audio since it shut down lots of background services, but other features like “core-isolation” totally messed up with HQplayer and other software, games either causing HQPlayer stutter or frame stutter during gaming... and I will not encourage one to use fidelizer on HQ pc if the performance of your PC is not at the edge.

Who knows where Tidal keeps their data and frankly, who cares?  On premise?  Amazon?  Microsoft Azure? IBM Cloud?  Oracle Cloud?  Someone else?  Are the servers Windows based?  AIX?  Sparc?  Dell, HP, white box?

Again, who cares?  It doesn't matter.  As long as it's up and delivers your songs with sufficient bandwidth for customers and low latency on the networks between you and them, it just doesn't matter.  Tidal could change their data partner next week and you'd never know.

And optical Ethernet isn't necessary (and expensive).  If you're getting a lot of EMI interference that affecting your data on your LAN, you have much bigger problems.

26 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

Who knows where Tidal keeps their data and frankly, who cares?  On premise?  Amazon?  Microsoft Azure? IBM Cloud?  Oracle Cloud?  Someone else?  Are the servers Windows based?  AIX?  Sparc?  Dell, HP, white box?

Again, who cares?  It doesn't matter.  As long as it's up and delivers your songs with sufficient bandwidth for customers and low latency on the networks between you and them, it just doesn't matter.  Tidal could change their data partner next week and you'd never know.

And optical Ethernet isn't necessary (and expensive).  If you're getting a lot of EMI interference that affecting your data on your LAN, you have much bigger problems.

I suggest you keep calm and read my tone carefully. 

Regarding optical ethernet, yes, it is necessary. Please use the search engine on CA and you will find it is quite relevant to NAA. Sufficient information has been repeated again and again on the forum and I have no interest arguing. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature