IGNORED

HQ Player

On 4/19/2018 at 1:31 AM, Miska said:

One thing that just came to my mind... If you are on Windows or Linux, you could try to enable IPv6 only on the interface where you have NAA (unless you need it elsewhere). HQPlayer tries to use IPv6 primarily (remember to enable it in HQPlayer settings) and falls back to IPv4 if it is not available. IPv6 has also nice autoconfiguration, so one doesn't need to have DHCP server on network blocks that use IPv6. However, IPv6 support is disabled on macOS due to the annoying way macOS deals with IPv6 multicast.

@Miska I just want to say I finally got this working!!!  I got rid of the Allo Sparky and put back in my Server 2012 R2 based NAA.  I enabled IPv6 in the registry (enabling IPv6 using Powershell or netsh didnt work) on both Server PCs, connected the NAA to the HQP PC, restarted, and now I am able to play directly, allowing me to get rid a switch in my system!  Fantastic!!! Thank you.  Now I am going to compare to see how it sounds compared to having my SG300 Cisco SFP switch in the music chain.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Got it working with latest version of HQPayer after rebooting computer a couple of time.When installing nividia  drivers should I install all or just the graphics driver if just sing a music server ?

Just graphics driver is enough. The Vision 3D Controller is not needed nor the control center / Nvidia Experience. You can also let it update the Audio Driver, because it is stacked with the graphics driver so non-matching versions could have some trouble co-operating (audio driver is used for HDMI audio output).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, tboooe said:

@Miska I just want to say I finally got this working!!!  I got rid of the Allo Sparky and put back in my Server 2012 R2 based NAA.  I enabled IPv6 in the registry (enabling IPv6 using Powershell or netsh didnt work) on both Server PCs, connected the NAA to the HQP PC, restarted, and now I am able to play directly, allowing me to get rid a switch in my system!  Fantastic!!! Thank you.  Now I am going to compare to see how it sounds compared to having my SG300 Cisco SFP switch in the music chain.

You could also try to boot the full NAA OS image I provide, on the PC...

6 hours ago, Miska said:

You could also try to boot the full NAA OS image I provide, on the PC...

I will try that as well.  I am very curious of the difference I am hearing between Linux vs Windows based NAA is due to hardware or the drivers or both...I will report back.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 5/21/2018 at 5:40 PM, westside said:

Hi,

I didnt tell you all the story sorry.

My DAC not support DSD only 24/192 ( Psaudio Nuwave)

I install debian 9 server ( no graphical interface, just command Line ) on a very old hardware ( laptop Dell inspiron 9300 )

I install debian 9 server on the hdd of the laptop.

I install NAA x86 .

On the side of my server i see eveything i want in hqplayer.

So i setup every hqplayer setting and i start the listen session.

I notice something wrong ( really not very often i would say once every 3 or 4 hours) i have like a cut with 16/44 files.

I dont know for sure if its only with 16/44 files but its seems to be the case.

In fact i always hear a cut with 16/44 files and never with other file frequency.

What do you think about my issue ? 

Can you help me please ?

Thank you.

On 5/21/2018 at 11:20 PM, westside said:

I mean the music stop 1s and then the music goes on.

I think its because i cant use ipv6 option in hqplayer player with windows server 2012 r2.

It seems i have no issue with ipv6 under Windows 10 but i need to do more test on it.

@Miska

I have always the same issue even with ipv6 .

Have you got an idea for me please ?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, MarcinGD said:

Hi Miska,

What is the reason of adding to HQPlayer Quality Windows Audio Video Experience ? Im having in new version on Windows 2016 Server qwave.dll missing when I want to start Hqplayer.

Thank you for this post.  I was about to upgrade HQP.  I am using Server 2016 as well.  Were you able to downgrade to the previous version of HQP to resolve the qwave.dll problem?  Or can you just copy the dll file into the right location in Windows/system32?

Other components:

5 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for this post.  I was about to upgrade HQP.  I am using Server 2016 as well.  Were you able to downgrade to the previous version of HQP to resolve the qwave.dll problem?  Or can you just copy the dll file into the right location in Windows/system32?

Hi tboooe,

I had no problem of going back to previous version of HQP. I was checking if it's easy way of adding Quality Windows Audio Video Experience feature from powershell. But from what I was reading it's not an easy task in core version. I didn't tried yet to push only dll file but from my previous experience with HQP that will not do because it probably ask for some other files. I will give it a try and report feedback.

1 minute ago, MarcinGD said:

Hi tboooe,

I had no problem of going back to previous version of HQP. I was checking if it's easy way of adding Quality Windows Audio Video Experience feature from powershell. But from what I was reading it's not an easy task in core version. I didn't tried yet to push only dll file but from my previous experience with HQP that will not do because it probably ask for some other files. I will give it a try and report feedback.

I am also in Core mode in Server 2016.  Of course, your original question is the important one...why was qwave introduced into the latest version of HQP in the first place?  I try to keep my music PCs as lean as possible without too many processes running.  I hope there is a good reason for this new requirement in HQP.

Other components:

8 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I am also in Core mode in Server 2016.  Of course, your original question is the important one...why was qwave introduced into the latest version of HQP in the first place?  I try to keep my music PCs as lean as possible without too many processes running.  I hope there is a good reason for this new requirement in HQP.

Ok I copied https://www.dll4free.com/qwave.dll.html 10.0.14393.0 version to System folder and it started. It didn't asked for more files.

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

Of course there is always a good reason why I do something with the HQPlayer... :)

Having a DLL doesn't have anything to do with number of processes running though.

It is part of Windows since Vista and Server 2008. Although Windows Server versions have never been supported by HQPlayer (if it just happens to run on such, I don't mind, but performance may suffer). Desktop versions of Windows are optimized for multimedia use. Server versions are optimized for I/O bandwidth which is in direct conflict with requirements of multimedia use.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Of course there is always a good reason why I do something with the HQPlayer... :)

GREAT answer!!!!!!!

Other components:

2 issues here :

missing qwave.dll (2012R2) but it seems covered : I'll read

was playing with convolution filters when a piano track (Beethoven, SACD rip) started overloading with loud "cracks" and amps flashing red ; always occurred at same timing (not even a forte) with whatever filter, including good old one in service for a year, and up to - 16 dB attenuation 

that's when I tried to update and found out about qwave..

any idea of what's going on ? Mac running Windows seems to get hotter when changing filters but then, why always at same timing ?

6 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

missing qwave.dll (2012R2) but it seems covered : I'll read

None of my Windows installations (8.1 and 10) have complained about that. According to Microsoft's documentation is officially available on desktop since Windows Vista and on server since Windows Server 2008.

11 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

any idea of what's going on ? Mac running Windows seems to get hotter when changing filters but then, why always at same timing ?

There are no code changes around any of the convolution stuff (in a long time). Are you using CUDA? If you are, you could try without because the CUDA framework was updated to latest 9.2 so that could have some unexpected side-effects (unlikely though).

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

None of my Windows installations (8.1 and 10) have complained about that. According to Microsoft's documentation is officially available on desktop since Windows Vista and on server since Windows Server 2008.

There are no code changes around any of the convolution stuff (in a long time). Are you using CUDA? If you are, you could try without because the CUDA framework was updated to latest 9.2 so that could have some unexpected side-effects (unlikely though).

Thank you Miska. dll issue solved. I don't know what you did but simply installing the dll and not what it might trigger did not sound right : I very simply run ServerManager from my Minimum Server state and installed Quality etc feature

As of the berserk track then I'll investigate a corrupted file and redo the rip  (I can't run CUDA). it happened with 3.204 & 3.21. it's very stressful since I fear it might damage speakers if it starts to happen here and there... 

no overload with a fresh file. shit happens (piano file corruption ?) and might come from who knows where maybe ; still when it happens in HQP it's stressful...

btw, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between filter gain and how loud music plays (and is measured ie with pink noise to calibrate the filters). With about 8.5 gain I chose -9 dB attenuation instead of the -3 recommended to avoid clipping ; any comment ? thanks

Filter gain printout is estimate, another estimate is written to the log file. But it doesn't easily correlate with loudness. Reason is that a room correction filter of "filter gain 6 dB" may have only very narrow 6 dB boost at for example 123 Hz frequency and much lower level on all other frequencies. You won't notice this until something in the music content happens to have that particular frequency. And you may not notice even then.

But for all these kind of cases HQPlayer as extra safety - soft limiter in case processing output goes above 0 dBFS level (the internal processing pipeline has practically unlimited headroom). You will notice this when "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window increments and the volume knob goes red to indicate output level has been limited. But there's a caveat in this, if you have set volume in HQPlayer quite a bit lower, then even the peak may still be below 0 dBFS but quite a bit louder than anything else. For this reason I recommend designing room correction filters without large gains (more than about 6 dB). This is usually quite generic recommendation from other people too, because one cannot fill nulls and it will only increase output power a lot.

You can achieve similar end result either by using convolution engine gain compensation, or just volume control - but these make a difference when you use the toolbar button to switch the correction filter in/out on the fly while playing. Idea is to have similar output level for both cases so that one wouldn't notice large volume change and it would be easier to compare effect of the correction filter.

I'm unsure where to post this as it includes many aspects, HQP, SU-1 and the Holo Audio Spring DAC.

I seem to have developed issues with DSD 512 though ultra Rendu with HQP to SU-1 so am now using an older NUC I had lying around as an NAA to try and isolate if the issue is with the Rendu (as I suspect).

I have the network NAA daemon running on a Win 10 machine using the Singxer ASIO driver with the following settings

image.thumb.png.75633cb76f540a606ca6c9c5fa705d69.png

Are there advantages (or disadvantages for that matter) to using the bootable image version of the NAA?

.sjb

On 5/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, tboooe said:

Hi @Miska, I am using the x64 NAA image and trying to directly connect my NAA pc to my HQPlayer PC via ipv6.  I am seeing the link connection via the NIC LEDs, and I also see an ipv6 address on my HQPlayer PC, but since I can not login to the NAA pc, I cannot diagnose why HQPlayer is not seeing the NAA under the ipv6 dropdown box.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Is ipv6 enabled on the x64 NAA image?  As always, thank you for your help.  hammer

Ater a couple of weeks thinking if I would buy a second license (my first one was for my old Mac not capable of doing more than 128DSD) and having decided that I would not upgrade my sonic transporter i5 to an i7, due to the fact that my Qutest is not able to do more than 256 DSD DoP in Linux), I decided to buy a new HQP license. At least I would benefit from 256DSD DoP, but more importantly the convenience of having just one machine to do everything. Being convinced that I would feel a smoth transition, to.my surprise I have been having problems. Upsampling to DSD or to PCM is a source of frustration. After a couple of tracks I start to hear white noise. The only way to revert the situation is to reboot the system (ST i5 and ultrarendu). But than after another series of tracks it starts again. The most curious thing is that they seem to come from the right speaker. This is not due to a speaker problem as I do not have any problems using just Roon upsampling. Searching through the web I found at least one person with the same problem but on his left loudspeaker. As I do not believe in Gremlins, does someone have a clue on how to solve the white noise problem? Miska? Thank you guys.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Filter gain printout is estimate, another estimate is written to the log file. But it doesn't easily correlate with loudness. Reason is that a room correction filter of "filter gain 6 dB" may have only very narrow 6 dB boost at for example 123 Hz frequency and much lower level on all other frequencies. You won't notice this until something in the music content happens to have that particular frequency. And you may not notice even then.

But for all these kind of cases HQPlayer as extra safety - soft limiter in case processing output goes above 0 dBFS level (the internal processing pipeline has practically unlimited headroom). You will notice this when "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window increments and the volume knob goes red to indicate output level has been limited. But there's a caveat in this, if you have set volume in HQPlayer quite a bit lower, then even the peak may still be below 0 dBFS but quite a bit louder than anything else. For this reason I recommend designing room correction filters without large gains (more than about 6 dB). This is usually quite generic recommendation from other people too, because one cannot fill nulls and it will only increase output power a lot.

You can achieve similar end result either by using convolution engine gain compensation, or just volume control - but these make a difference when you use the toolbar button to switch the correction filter in/out on the fly while playing. Idea is to have similar output level for both cases so that one wouldn't notice large volume change and it would be easier to compare effect of the correction filter.

Thank you, I think you're right on target : settings were -18/0= -9dB. 

We'll never know how the piano file got corrupted but to avoid stress, and If I understand you correctly, I should stick to -6/0 = -3 dB so that clipping remains benign even if more frequent

I never boost more than 6 dB (less indeed) and to fill nulls I rather lower the target level ; however I always introduce a Manual LS in REW. I just designed new files with less ambitious LS gain (110/3) and the IR gain is #4.5 (vs 8+ with the previous set) : I'll give it a try

I started without success a thread with a pinch of laugh at MQA, stressing than rather than addressing ADC idiosyncrasies they should rather focus on target curves used to calibrate the monitors. I feel that different convolution files sets might be an alternative to changing filters (ie linear vs mp) depending on source. However I think I'll end my crisis soon with a BK target and a whateveritbringswesing mindset....

56 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Are there advantages (or disadvantages for that matter) to using the bootable image version of the NAA?

I personally feel using a Windows based NAA with drivers sound better based on my limited testing.  I've only compared the Allo Sparky to my i3 Server 2012 R2 NAA.  I believe some other folks have reported the same results.  I need to next put the image on the same i3 machine and compare.

Other components: