IGNORED

HQ Player

Before or after doing following, reboot your computer so that any half-started HQPlayer instances don't exist. Such would likely mess up the application startup.

One thing comes to mind, if you have ASIO driver configured and it is acting up at startup, you could go and remove HQPlayer settings file (called settings.xml) in folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer - this would reset the currently selected audio device and revert backend back to WASAPI.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, mtcs said:

Miska, I just got a sonicTransporter with embedded HQP. How so I get a key and activate it? Thanks.

From my web shop, or from Andrew. You need the fingerprint string shown in /about page of the web interface.

You can then upload it through /key page of the web interface, or possibly Andrew can install it for you if you get it through him.

Hi, my apologies if this has been previously answered...I tried to search, but did not find a solution.  I am running HQPlayer on a Windows 10 machine and for a variety of reasons, this machine has multiple NIC's and I am trying to get HQPlayer to "see" an NAA on my 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  Is it possible to "direct" HQPlayer to only search this subnet?  I know the NAA on my network is working since I can "see" it on another instance of HQPlayer.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Hi, my apologies if this has been previously answered...I tried to search, but did not find a solution.  I am running HQPlayer on a Windows 10 machine and for a variety of reasons, this machine has multiple NIC's and I am trying to get HQPlayer to "see" an NAA on my 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  Is it possible to "direct" HQPlayer to only search this subnet?  I know the NAA on my network is working since I can "see" it on another instance of HQPlayer.  Thank you.

The only way I could get a direct connection to work was to bridge my two NICs.  Once I did that NAA worked great and I believe it sounded better than using a switch.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

If necessary, one can also change routing table to route multicasts to preferred interface.

With bridged devices (assuming all interfaces are bridged) there's practically only one interface - the bridged one so in such case the routing part doesn't apply.

One thing that just came to my mind... If you are on Windows or Linux, you could try to enable IPv6 only on the interface where you have NAA (unless you need it elsewhere). HQPlayer tries to use IPv6 primarily (remember to enable it in HQPlayer settings) and falls back to IPv4 if it is not available. IPv6 has also nice autoconfiguration, so one doesn't need to have DHCP server on network blocks that use IPv6. However, IPv6 support is disabled on macOS due to the annoying way macOS deals with IPv6 multicast.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

One thing that just came to my mind... If you are on Windows or Linux, you could try to enable IPv6 only on the interface where you have NAA (unless you need it elsewhere). HQPlayer tries to use IPv6 primarily (remember to enable it in HQPlayer settings) and falls back to IPv4 if it is not available.

This is interesting.  I am going to have to try this.  So to be clear:

Enable IPv6 on second NIC of the HQP pc

Enable IPv6 on the NAA

Select IPv6 NAA in HQP settings

Can I just choose automatic configuration in the adapter settings?  Or do I have to make sure a different subnet is set?

Is that it?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

This is interesting.  I am going to have to try this.  So to be clear:

Enable IPv6 on second NIC of the HQP pc

Enable IPv6 on the NAA

Select IPv6 NAA in HQP settings

Can I just choose automatic configuration in the adapter settings?  Or do I have to make sure a different subnet is set?

Is that it?

Yes, if IPv6 is enabled only on one NIC, it shouldn't end up going through any other route. And yes, automatic configuration should work fine. You don't need to worry about different subnets if you don't have IPv6 enabled on multiple adapters.

So this would be splitting between adapters using protocol instead of subnet.

36 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, if IPv6 is enabled only on one NIC, it shouldn't end up going through any other route. And yes, automatic configuration should work fine. You don't need to worry about different subnets if you don't have IPv6 enabled on multiple adapters.

So this would be splitting between adapters using protocol instead of subnet.

So dumb question...if I disable IPv4 in the NAA how will I be able to access it and turn it back on later if I need to? 

Other components:

26 minutes ago, tboooe said:

So dumb question...if I disable IPv4 in the NAA how will I be able to access it and turn it back on later if I need to? 

Just like your would with IPv4. What kind of NAA do you have? If your NAA has only single network interface, you can leave both protocols enabled.

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Just like your would with IPv4. What kind of NAA do you have? If your NAA has only single network interface, you can leave both protocols enabled.

Oh...I thought I had to disable IPv4 on the NAA too.  I am using an Allo Sparky as NAA.

So I disabled IPv6 on all the NICs of my HQP pc except the one I will use to connect the NAA.  Do I need to disable IPv4 on this NIC too and only leave IPv6 enabled for it? With both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled for this NIC and my NAA, HQP does not see the NAA.  

Other components:

12 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Oh...I thought I had to disable IPv4 on the NAA too.  I am using an Allo Sparky as NAA.

So I disabled IPv6 on all the NICs of my HQP pc except the one I will use to connect the NAA.  Do I need to disable IPv4 on this NIC too and only leave IPv6 enabled for it? With both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled for this NIC and my NAA, HQP does not see the NAA.  

It should work even if you leave it enabled. You could check from the routing table where the heck it is routing IPv6 multicasts. It shouldn't have IPv6 routes to any other network interface than the one that has IPv6 enabled...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Also check at NAA side that the network interface has IPv6 address up. Then you can check from networkaudiod output if it receives the discovery message, this would tell if it reaches there or if the response coming back is lost somehow.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It should work even if you leave it enabled. You could check from the routing table where the heck it is routing IPv6 multicasts. It shouldn't have IPv6 routes to any other network interface than the one that has IPv6 enabled...

Oh man...I think I am now over my head.  On the HQP PC, I did a route print command. I see that the IPv6 routing table has two entries.for interface "Software Loopback Interface 1" but not the actual NIC that I have connected to the NAA.  Not sure what to do at this point...too much of a networking noob.

Other components:

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Oh man...I think I am now over my head.  On the HQP PC, I did a route print command. I see that the IPv6 routing table has two entries.for interface "Software Loopback Interface 1" but not the actual NIC that I have connected to the NAA.  Not sure what to do at this point...too much of a networking noob.

But you have IPv6 enabled in for that NIC? Strange...

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, IPv6 is enabled only for that NIC on my HQP pc.  Its also enabled on the Allo Sparky.

Other components:

Hi @Miska

I probably shouldn't clog the Pro-Ject S2 Pre Digital DAC thread with too much HQ Player talk so better I come here.

When using poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s (on sonicTransporter i7 running sonicOrbiter OS) are there differences in CPU loads between these 3 modulators or not much?

ASDM5

ASDM7

AMSDM7 512+fs

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Just curious if you have tried this direct connect method successfully?  I really want to try and make this work since I believe the music sounds better without having to use a switch.  I was able to just bridge my 2 NICs when I was using Server 2012 but since switching to Server 2016 Core mode I am not able to do this anymore.

Other components:

14 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I did try, but didn't know how to turn on IPv6 in HQPlayer...

In settings, just select NAA IPv6 in Backend dropdown...pls let me know if this works for you.

BTW, @Hammer what OS are you using?  You could just Bridge your two NICs like I did previously.

Other components:

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

As said earlier, HQPlayer on macOS doesn't have that option... Windows/Linux version does. Same goes for IPv6 support in NAA.

@Miska were you able to get this direct connection method using IPv6 to work on Windows?

Other components:

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

@Miska were you able to get this direct connection method using IPv6 to work on Windows?

I didn't try, was just speculating about something I thought should work. I don't have any machines with dual network interfaces apart from my internet firewalls. And I try to avoid using Windows whenever possible... ;)

A question on upsampling to DSD512 with HQPlayer.  I see that when I play a PCM file, it upsamples no problem.  However, when I play a DSD64 file, the output remains DSD64.  Is that by design?   (The source is from Roon, if that plays into the equation at all).

Thank you!