IGNORED

HQ Player

31 minutes ago, Quadman said:

By conversion ratio I assume you mean if 44.1 is source and DSD512 is the output the conversion ratio is 512?

Yes, exactly...

Just one note regarding the topic which might not be obvious is that if Direct SDM is enabled (default) volume control is "disabled" for DSD output and fixed gain settings are used. So to deviate from the default fixed gain, you need to uncheck the Direct SDM to bring volume control into play.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

if Direct SDM is enabled (default) volume control is "disabled" for DSD output

That was probably the issue, it was a new PC and a fresh install of HQP.  I didn't even go to that setting dialog as I have almost zero DSD content on my HDD.  If enabled by default then clipping/limiting would occur much easier.  Thank you, thank you!!  That should be added to the manual.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Trying to figure out your signal chain... Are you sending to SMS-200 running as a NAA? In that case, leave HQPlayer buffer setting to "Default". How are you determining that HQPlayer is not upsampling to 32-bits?

I'm no longer using the sms-200. The chain is server with tX-USBexp USB card to a tX-USBultra to the DAC then preamp then amp....

The DAC uses the USB control panel to set ASIO buffer and streaming mode or latency. The server is running Roon and HQPlayer. 

HQPlayer is not displaying the upsample to 32 nor is Roon. 

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

So my default for now is poly-sinc-xtr-mp and NS5. And I upsample to the max of 352.8 or 384, based on rate family.

When ready give minringFIR a try or the mp equiv if you prefer minimum phase.  Nice as well but the opposite of the very ringy XTR filters.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

5 hours ago, Johnseye said:

The DAC uses the USB control panel to set ASIO buffer and streaming mode or latency. The server is running Roon and HQPlayer. 

OK, then just leave HQPlayer's buffer time set to "Default" and it'll use what the ASIO driver proposes. In the ASIO driver set buffer size to maximum (maximum latency) and streaming mode to "safe" or "extra safe" or something like that.

HQPlayer is not displaying the upsample to 32 nor is Roon.

OK, that is normal...

3 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, then just leave HQPlayer's buffer time set to "Default" and it'll use what the ASIO driver proposes. In the ASIO driver set buffer size to maximum (maximum latency) and streaming mode to "safe" or "extra safe" or something like that.

OK, that is normal...

Is there any negative impact maxing the asio buffers?

How do I know HQPlayer is upsampling to 32 bits. I thought I had seen it displaying that before, but not now.

On 19.08.2017 at 2:30 PM, Miska said:

There has probably been some CPU load increase going to 3.17 and that may be causing it. This is due to a bug fix/improvement in the DSD output volume control. But it introduced some more code -> higher CPU load. Going from 44.1k to 48k x512 is quite a bit heavier to process than 44.1k x512.

I've tested the new version with T+A DAC8 DSD and going to 48k x512, but it is on my big machine (i7-6950X + GTX 1080 offload).

Hi Miska,

Just to report I tested new 3.182 version and it works on my upgraded CPU from 6700k to 7700k. 

Is there any negative impact maxing the asio buffers?

No, there's not...

How do I know HQPlayer is upsampling to 32 bits. I thought I had seen it displaying that before, but not now.

If you want to know you can inspect the log file, but generally it outputs the word length DAC supports with some additional heuristics.

There have been no changes on what is displayer in a while, and the output word length has not been displayed.

Hi, I using the x64 NAA 3.5.2 image and so happy it worked on first boot.  I can stream to my Vega DAC and it sounds great.  Only issue is while PCM work, I cannot select SDM output on HQPlayer.  Anything I can do to fix this?

Interesting that the Raspberry Pi image works to output SDM, but my Pi2 is not powerful enough for DSD256 and I was hoping this i5 can handle it, but I can’t select SDM!  

Thanks!  Hammer

7 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I using the x64 NAA 3.5.2 image and so happy it worked on first boot.  I can stream to my Vega DAC and it sounds great.  Only issue is while PCM work, I cannot select SDM output on HQPlayer.  Anything I can do to fix this?

Interesting that the Raspberry Pi image works to output SDM, but my Pi2 is not powerful enough for DSD256 and I was hoping this i5 can handle it, but I can’t select SDM!  

Thanks!  Hammer

Have you tried selecting DoP in Settings?

17 hours ago, Hammer said:

I tested here both the BeagleBone Black and RasPi3 up to DSD256. And Intel Atom x5 up to DSD512.

RasPi tends to have some bandwidth issues because the ethernet adapter is on same USB bus as the USB connector... In addition it's ethernet adapter is extremely cheap and thus dumb.

Hello there. I use recent HQPlayer v3.18.2 on linux. I use it together with Roon on 1 PC.

Here are some details about my setup. I use 1 PC, where i have 2 lan ports.

To Lan 1 i connect directly ultrarendu.

To lan 2 i connect router with internet.

Then on Lan 1 i installed and configured DHCP server on that PC.

So my ultrarendu is independent and gets IP address from local DCHP server and i dont need internet connection for that (i dont need to create bridge etc).

On lan 2 i have internet, which is necessary for Roon and Tidal.

Both lans have static IP addresses (independent, with different subent). Lan 1 gets it from local DCHP server, lets say 192.168.1.10, and Lan 2 gets it from router 192.168.0.150.

And here is the problem. Once my config works properly HQPlayer doesnt see ultrarendu, if i turn off Lan 2, HQPlayer immediately finds ultrarendu. I think in situation when i have working Lan 1 and Lan 2, HQPlayer listens by default Lan 2.

But once i remove Lan 2, HQPlayer has access only to Lan 1 and then it finds ultrarendu without any problem.

So my question is, how to configure HQPlayer to check Lan 1 first or only, or try to check both networks?

Thanks

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

On 11/11/2017 at 5:49 PM, Miska said:

Safest is to just go with currently supported 16.04 LTS. Since 18.04 is the next LTS version, I will move to it once it becomes upgradeable from the current 16.04 LTS on the first point release, meaning 18.04.1.

I'm using and recommending Ubuntu Studio 16.04 which uses XFCE desktop and has some tunings for audio use in general. But other desktops are fine too (LXDE, Unity, KDE...)

I don't recommend non-LTS releases because of their very short life/support span.

Thanks, Miska.

It turns out Lubuntu wasn’t failing to boot; it’s that I somehow managed to bork the GPU driver, so nothing shows on the screen for Lubuntu or any of the other Linuxen I’ve tried to install in its place since, not even terminal output.  (Windows is perfectly fine.) So looks like I’ll have to reinstall the driver over SSH.  As my wife and I are moving across country in less than two weeks, it will have to wait until we’re settled in the new place.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Cooler said:

Here are some details about my setup. I use 1 PC, where i have 2 lan ports.

Hmmh, why is everybody and friends trying to setup these complex multihomed networks? There is really no advantage in doing so. It just causes pain and suffering.

I don't do it, I have single gigabit ethernet  + 802.11ac wireless network across the house, and everything works very nicely.

1 hour ago, Cooler said:

And here is the problem. Once my config works properly HQPlayer doesnt see ultrarendu, if i turn off Lan 2, HQPlayer immediately finds ultrarendu. I think in situation when i have working Lan 1 and Lan 2, HQPlayer listens by default Lan 2.

But once i remove Lan 2, HQPlayer has access only to Lan 1 and then it finds ultrarendu without any problem.

This is because usually multicast tends to route where the default route is (internet).

1 hour ago, Cooler said:

So my question is, how to configure HQPlayer to check Lan 1 first or only, or try to check both networks?

You need to setup multicast routing in the way that it goes to correct networks.

Note that you may have some extra fun if you want to use services that use multicasts on both networks (UPnP, IPP printing, etc).

Hi, I would like to know if Miska or any HQ Player user have experience they can share about running 512x DSD upsampling on  Ryzen, or Threadripper CPUs and whether there are any limitations on the upsampling filters that can be used in such a setup. I am considering building a PC around AMD's latest generation CPU's but I am a bit worried because they are behind Intel in terms of AVX implementation, though these CPUs sometimes seem to do quite well in compute tests. 

19 hours ago, Miska said:

I just uploaded new x64 image, please redownload and check if the new one works...

Hi, just tried the new image and although I can now select SDM on HQPlayer, when I do, no sound comes out.  Usually, when the Vega detects the USB input, it displays the format.  When I select SDM, that is blank which, I think, means the format is not recognizable or not detected.  When I switch to PCM, it all works again.

sometimes when I try SDM, HQPlayer freezes and I have to close it via task manager.

Thanks for your help.  Hammer

16 hours ago, Sagittarius said:

share about running 512x DSD upsampling on  Ryzen,

I just built a 1700x machine, 16GB ram, no cuda offload, win 10 pro and it still has issues with the XTR (non-2s) filters and to my surprise even the closed form filter would not run without stuttering.  Sonically it kicked the crap out of my very similar intel build with (6700K).  Maybe the biggest thread ripper could handle all the filters in HQP, I think someone reported further back or in another thread that they got to 1950x to do all filters.

I am updating my intel to 1800x and I have a 1060 GPU so we'll see if I can do those filters.  Still a few weeks away as I have not ordered a MB yet.

56 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Hi, just tried the new image and although I can now select SDM on HQPlayer, when I do, no sound comes out.  Usually, when the Vega detects the USB input, it displays the format.  When I select SDM, that is blank which, I think, means the format is not recognizable or not detected.  When I switch to PCM, it all works again.

Did you check what sampling rate you are sending? Some DAC's don't like 48k-base DSD rates. For example Marantz HD-DAC1 goes on mute in such cases, although technically there's no reason for doing so.  While the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital works on both rate families just fine, the display doesn't indicate anything when using 48k-base DSD rates.

So I would recommend trying to select 44.1k x256 as output rate from HQPlayer.