IGNORED

HQ Player

8 hours ago, shinyc said:

Now for the via switch  vs direct connection. It was on JPLAY's (and on AO's) recommendation. They could be wrong. I will put everything on one subnet / one switch and see if it make my life easier.

For Audiophile switch and router you might want to check out VOVOx, thelinearsolution and ppa. I recently just purchase my router from thelinearsolution.com they make a wow products. check them out.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Those filter's don't allow you to do such ratios in first place. If you experience problems from 44.1k to 192k then there is something seriously wrong somewhere. Because that doesn't consume any notable amount of CPU time either.

What OS and backend are you using?

I was using 2016 Server. I'm about to rebuild with a new server. We'll see if I have the same issue then. 

11 hours ago, ismewor said:

For Audiophile switch and router you might want to check out VOVOx, thelinearsolution and ppa. I recently just purchase my router from thelinearsolution.com they make a wow products. check them out.

I think such is complete waste of money... ;)

I rather buy company/enterprise networking gear from HPE. Well made, works reliably and is easy to maintain.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Folks,

Is there a current cheat sheet or guide to the favorite settings for HQPlayer? I've only seen guides that are 3+ years old.

The problem is I don't even understand what the naming convention is. I think I've worked out that mp means minimum phase. What are modulator settings, and what changes from DSD5 to DSD7? What is 256fs? What are all the dither settings? What changes from NSx to NSy settings? I would be happy to study, but I need pointers.

Here is what I've done so far. My DAC is the Ayre Codex. Its max rates are 384k for PCM, and 128 for DSD (via DoP). I've already determined that for DSD sources, I hear no benefit from any upsampling, so I've set the DirectSDM flag to just pass through.

For PCM, I do hear a benefit, by upsampling to either 352.8 or 384, based on the rate family of the source (44.1 or 48). So I set "Auto rate family."

Finally, for filters, I was suggested to use the poly-sinc-xtr filters. I do find I like the mp variant better. On the few occasions I listen to MQA content from Tidal, I switch to poly-sinc-mqa-mp.

My dither is set to NS5, as I have zero idea how to vary this.

That's the extent of my exploration. Is it the case that at any given point, there is a small subset of settings that are "the latest" state of the art, and most people are using them? If so, a bit of reorganization to make that clear would be nice.

Just to be clear, I'm a paid-up user, not just kicking the tires.

Hi @Miska - I updated Lubuntu to 17.10 and it did not want to boot on my machine for some reason.  Since I have decided to reinstall anyway, I wondered whether you have an idea if HQPlayer will work with Lubuntu 18.04 (I believe it has moved to LXQt?).

Thanks.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hi @Miska - I updated Lubuntu to 17.10 and it did not want to boot on my machine for some reason.  Since I have decided to reinstall anyway, I wondered whether you have an idea if HQPlayer will work with Lubuntu 18.04 (I believe it has moved to LXQt?).

Safest is to just go with currently supported 16.04 LTS. Since 18.04 is the next LTS version, I will move to it once it becomes upgradeable from the current 16.04 LTS on the first point release, meaning 18.04.1.

I'm using and recommending Ubuntu Studio 16.04 which uses XFCE desktop and has some tunings for audio use in general. But other desktops are fine too (LXDE, Unity, KDE...)

I don't recommend non-LTS releases because of their very short life/support span.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

The problem is I don't even understand what the naming convention is. I think I've worked out that mp means minimum phase. What are modulator settings, and what changes from DSD5 to DSD7? What is 256fs? What are all the dither settings? What changes from NSx to NSy settings? I would be happy to study, but I need pointers.

Just, checking... Have you checked the included manual, or is it not descriptive enough?

8 hours ago, RamUwe said:

I bought a NUC (Skull Canyon) only to run HQPlayer for DSD512. It runs … smoothly without stuttering or dropouts. Poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s (for my non classical stuff) and AMSDM7 512+fs sound great.

I'm curious how noisy/quiet it is while performing this processing?

I have three different NUCs myself (not Skull Canyon though, but instead the newer less powerful NUC7i7), all set to quiet fan profile in BIOS. The Broadwell i5 is quietest so far, although not necessarily directly comparable because the Broadwell one is running Linux while the others are running Windows...

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Is there any sound quality advantage to using HQPlayer with a Roon Core running on an iMac feeding an ultraRendu versus just using Roon as the player? The DAC in the system is an Yggdrasil and I do not upsample as I let the DAC do it.

No, if you don't use HQPlayer upsampling features.

HQPlayer is advanced DSP engine. If you just want a bit-pipe, there's no use for HQPlayer.

1 minute ago, Speed Racer said:

Since Yggdrasil accepts no more than 24/192 and upsamples everything to 24/384 or 24/352.8, have you found upsampling to Yggdrasil to benefit sound quality with PCM content?

I don't have Yggdrasil to try out, but I don't see a reason why there still wouldn't be a benefit because even upsampling to 88.2/96 from 44.1/48 is a huge step. The following steps have gradually smaller effect.

I have an Yggy. HQPlayer none/none (i.e. no upsampling) + NAA on mRendu sounds better to me than through Roonbridge on mRendu. Even more so if HQPlayer runs on an AO machine. I wish I can describe the difference in words. Transparency w/ body? Less boring? Maybe^^

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

26 minutes ago, shinyc said:

I have an Yggy. HQPlayer none/none (i.e. no upsampling) + NAA on mRendu sounds better to me than through Roonbridge on mRendu. Even more so if HQPlayer runs on an AO machine. I wish I can describe the difference in words. Transparency w/ body? Less boring? Maybe^^

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "AO machine"? What is "+ NAA"?

Are you still using Roon utilizing HQPlayer or is Roon not being used at all when you use HQPlayer?

NAA stands for network audio adapter devised by Miska. It is a downstream application to HQPlayer. It simply buffers data from HQPlayer and hands it over to DAC driver. NAA runs on the mRendu. My configuration looks like this (not currently thou):

Computer 1

Roonserver running on Mac mini

Computer 2

HQPlayer running on PC w/ AO*

Computer 3

NAA running on mRendu

*AO is a piece of software which strips all non-essential processes from Windows OS. It stands for Audiophile Optimizer.

Running NAA on a separate machine (let it be mRendu or some other platform) was the most significant upgrade for me as far as SQ is concerned.

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Just, checking... Have you checked the included manual, or is it not descriptive enough?

Hi Jussi,

I think it all centers around providing guidance around these 4 key settings:

image.thumb.png.2fb2a8002e6cb7e647f337fdd8d74077.png

Yes, the manual does describe each available choice for each of these 4 pull-downs. But that is 4-dimensional cross-product of hundreds of combinations. it doesn't tell me how I should navigate. I'm looking for guidance. Maybe a lot of these settings are older, and have been superseded. Maybe the best current options are a small subset. How about some guidance that says - this is the most preferred one, but try these other 2 as well. Or - this is recommended, but if it's too CPU-intensive, fall back to this.

How about this? Pick a set of source types. Say:

• DSD
  • PCM
  • MQA

For each of these, come up with the "Top 3" recommended combinations of filter/dither or oversampling/modulator. If 3 is too limiting, OK, make it top 5. But give me a set of manageable choices to try. This is no different than filter settings on DACs. There's usually a small handful.

Then the rest of the choices can be for people who really have specific reasons to go beyond.

I know several folks who liked the sound of HQPlayer, but could never enjoy it, because the sheer volume of the multi-dimensional parameter space caused stress, which is the complete opposite of why one listens to music!

Please know that this is sincere customer feedback, and not meant to criticize.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi Jussi,

I think it all centers around providing guidance around these 4 key settings:

image.thumb.png.2fb2a8002e6cb7e647f337fdd8d74077.png

Yes, the manual does describe each available choice for each of these 4 pull-downs. But that is 4-dimensional cross-product of hundreds of combinations. it doesn't tell me how I should navigate. I'm looking for guidance. Maybe a lot of these settings are older, and have been superseded. Maybe the best current options are a small subset. How about some guidance that says - this is the most preferred one, but try these other 2 as well. Or - this is recommended, but if it's too CPU-intensive, fall back to this.

How about this? Pick a set of source types. Say:

• DSD
  • PCM
  • MQA

For each of these, come up with the "Top 3" recommended combinations of filter/dither or oversampling/modulator. If 3 is too limiting, OK, make it top 5. But give me a set of manageable choices to try. This is no different than filter settings on DACs. There's usually a small handful.

Then the rest of the choices can be for people who really have specific reasons to go beyond.

I know several folks who liked the sound of HQPlayer, but could never enjoy it, because the sheer volume of the multi-dimensional parameter space caused stress, which is the complete opposite of why one listens to music!

Please know that this is sincere customer feedback, and not meant to criticize.

Thanks.

hi , 

the beauty of HQ player is the multiple choice to to get the better sound of your digital files.   please don't blame it and don't ask for more simplicity :) 

every filter brings his flavor and there is no magical setting as it is content dependents (  Jazz/ live ,/ rock / low files , high rez recording , etc..)

it also interact with  the inner filter of your dac  and the quality , neutrality or not of your final audio system.

let's try anyway in a subjective way.

for DSD  with very good acoustic recording i like  direct SDM  and for all the rest upsampling to DSD512 with Poly short lin  IRR  standard filter

for PCM to DSD   i prefer  Poly-sync dsd5 V2 DSD512 as it is the most natural to me with demanding Horn speakers.   MinringFirr comes next.    Polysinc XTR 2s  sounds to clean to be true for my taste.

for PCM Polysinc  NS5 384khz but i prefer going to DSD with the DAC8DSD

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

39 minutes ago, juanitox said:

hi , 

the beauty of HQ player is the multiple choice to to get the better sound of your digital files.   please don't blame it and don't ask for more simplicity :) 

every filter brings his flavor and there is no magical setting as it is content dependents (  Jazz/ live ,/ rock / low files , high rez recording , etc..)

it also interact with  the inner filter of your dac  and the quality , neutrality or not of your final audio system.

let's try anyway in a subjective way.

for DSD  with very good acoustic recording i like  direct SDM  and for all the rest upsampling to DSD512 with Poly short lin  IRR  standard filter

for PCM to DSD   i prefer  Poly-sync dsd5 V2 DSD512 as it is the most natural to me with demanding Horn speakers.   MinringFirr comes next.    Polysinc XTR 2s  sounds to clean to be true for my taste.

for PCM Polysinc  NS5 384khz but i prefer going to DSD with the DAC8DSD

"upsampling to DSD512 with Poly short lin  IRR  standard filter" : no, that would apply to converting dsd to pcm

6 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

"upsampling to DSD512 with Poly short lin  IRR  standard filter" : no, that would apply to converting dsd to pcm

Don't really think so. These settings do apply to DSD files upsampling (i.e. DSDxxx →DSDyyy) without converting DSD to PCM. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I think the default settings are quite good. Then you can start playing with different filters which depend on type of music you listen, and your sonic preferences and sensitivities. You can also try between ASDM7 and ASDM5 modulators.

You can then expand it from there, or just stick to the default and only change the output rate limits as necessary.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:00 PM, Miska said:

P.S. Providing the web shop order ID helps finding the information. And you need to send your request email from the same address you used for the order.

What if the email provider ceases to exist (or one chooses to change provider)?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)