IGNORED

HQ Player

13 minutes ago, GUTB said:

The truth can’t be stopped.

Unfortunately it appears inanity can’t be either.  But it can be ignored, so on my very short list you go.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

People, what is the source media when you are playing? What is the hardware? CPU temperature?

Since these are pretty complex computers, there are many factors in play when talking about performance in some usage scenario...

Is everybody even on same build of HQPlayer?

I am on Sierra (didn't care update to High version), mac mini is to play music only, nothing else, minimum other software installed, wifi out. HQ Player 3.18.0. FLAC files from external HD.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am on Sierra (didn't care update to High version), mac mini is to play music only, nothing else, minimum other software installed, wifi out. HQ Player 3.18.0. FLAC files from external HD.

Assuming AnotherSpin isn’t lying, his weaker Mini is able to handle these filters so there’s no reason why your more powerful system can’t. Possibly something interrupting the USB/thunderbolt link to your external drive during streaming?

If 128 does the same thing, it would suggest something interfering with your external drive. Another way to test that is to play a file from internal drive.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, DAC/driver shouldn't claim to support rates it doesn't really support.

What USB interface does the Atlantic have? With Amanero for example 48x512 works fine with ASIO driver (T+A DAC8 DSD or my DSC1 being an example). Amanero driver has a bug that it claims to support anything imaginable (like 123456 kHz) while in practice it of course doesn't.

The Atlantic indeed has the Amanero. All this isn't a big issue because it plays the files at 44.1x256. Sometimes I just forget about it and wonder why I don't have sound...:)

47 minutes ago, JohanJ said:

The Atlantic indeed has the Amanero. All this isn't a big issue because it plays the files at 44.1x256. Sometimes I just forget about it and wonder why I don't have sound...:)

Johan,

Does your Atlantic have just the R2R engine or does it also have the chipless DSD engine?  I have the same R2R in my B7 which does not play 48x256 on the R2R but on the chipless I have no problem playing 48x512.  I am using xtr-lp-2s filter on Lenovo TS140 Xeon box that I purchase 2 yrs ago.

fwiw, I'm using OS X 10.11 (Capitan), source is local USB 3 hard drive.  I only use the -2s filters in HQP (latest version).  Since Miska said the -2s filters implement the same transfer function with less CPU load, I never bothered to try the filters without the -2s suffix.

To avoid interruption from Spotlight indexing, users with stuttering problems can try disabling the indexing with this Terminal command (which is exactly what Audirvana does):

sudo mdutil -ai off

@Miska: do you think users with stuttering problems also should try renice-ing the HQP process?  Does renice work with all threads of a multi-threaded program on OS X?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

13 minutes ago, RamUwe said:

To connect the iFi with my Mac I use the Ark USB-C hub from Bourge Design. Can the hub causes these problems?

Just to be on the safe side I‘ve ordered the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter for testing.

This is what I was going to ask - what kind of USB connection/cable you use? Also, there was an occasional stuttering in HQP when I was copying files between two HDs at the time HQP played music. And, sometimes stuttering or other issues happened after I was dragging into replay window next album with the different format than previous album. Restart of HQP or reconnecting USB helped in most of the cases.

6 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I only use the -2s filters in HQP (latest version).  Since Miska said the -2s filters implement the same transfer function with less CPU load, I never bothered to try the filters without the -2s suffix.

Xtr filter was gives best sound for me, and since only -2s version was working in SDM when upsampling to more than x64, I was using poly-sinc-xtr-2s. Now I use poly-sinc-xtr with PCM 768k.

So, second test: one file (normal flac like the other files too) on the internal HDD; iFi in battery power mode (no charging); iFi connected to the Ark (Bourge Design USB-C-Hub) with the blue usb cable (the included one); also connected to the MBP are two Ultrafine 5k monitors. Headphone is HD800S.

First run (no parallel processes started like Safari, Mail, Word, o.a.)

poly-sinc-2s (auto) = no stutters/dropouts

poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (auto) = no stutters/dropouts

poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (48k x256) = no stutters/dropouts

poly-sinc-short-mp (auto) = no stutters/dropouts

I'll do a second run with parallel processes … 

Third run (same conditions as the second run):

poly-sinc-short-mp (auto) = no stutters/dropouts

poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (auto) = one stutter/dropout approximately at minute 3.00

In that curious case imho neither a restart of HQPlayer nor reconnecting USB would help … I've run out of ideas. I'll do more testing when the adapter arrives. Maybe it is the hub. In battery power mode the number of stutters/dropouts decreased.

Yet another test … with an older rMBP 15" 2 GHz i7 (end 2013); 8GB RAM; Sierra 10.12.6; only USB-A ports. Some parallel processes are started (just open, no actions): Safari, Word, Excel, preview. No external display is connected. MBP isn't in clamshell mode. iFi is connected in USB power mode. I did three runs. Not in a row because switching from poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (auto) to poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (48k x256) was only possible after restarting HQPlayer.

#1                         #2                    #3

poly-sinc-short-mp (auto)                               0                           0                       0

poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (auto)                            0                           0                       0

poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s (48k x256)                    0                           0                       0

0 = smooth playback without stutters/dropouts

X = stutters/dropouts

I have the strong suspicion that my problem has to do with the hub. 

I have had problems with a Pink Faun switch and HQP. I can play through that switch using Roon but not HQP. HQP “sees” the end dac because I can see it in the Settings panel but won’t start up. Only the Auto/PCM/DSD drop down on the far right of the interface populates while the others don’t. 

For the above I was on Win 7 64bit using  UltraRendu feeding a Mytek Brooklyn. Removing the switch “cured” HQP but that shouldn’t be required. 

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Brucemck2, the settings panel shows dac drivers.  That says HQPLAYER see the driver, not the dac.

Either way, HQP does not work with that switch in the chain when all my other devices work just fine.

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

On 10/28/2017 at 5:41 AM, JohanJ said:

On my audiolinux pc, directly into Lampiztor Atlantic it isn't possible to convert 48k-based content (like lots of the tidal masters) to 48x128 or 48x256. Hqplayer is running, the playbar is moving, as well as the time, but no sound. When I scale back to the 44x256 I get back the sound. That looks like a DAC flaw?

@JohanJ Is your Lampizator Atlantic running the DSD512 engine? or the R2R engine? My GG2 with the DSD512 and R2R engine can only accept 48Khz multiple input DSD into the DSD512 engine. The R2R board does not accept 48Khz multiple DSD, only 44.1Khz.  I confirmed this with the designer of the OEM R2R board.

Yeang

3 hours ago, seatrope said:

@JohanJ Is your Lampizator Atlantic running the DSD512 engine? or the R2R engine? My GG2 with the DSD512 and R2R engine can only accept 48Khz multiple input DSD into the DSD512 engine. The R2R board does not accept 48Khz multiple DSD, only 44.1Khz.  I confirmed this with the designer of the OEM R2R board.

Yeang

@seaptrope My atlantic has the R2R engine. So what I understand of you is that it is a limitation of the DAC... As I mentioned before it isn't a great issue, just not practical.