IGNORED

HQ Player

17 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you...my machine is also set at high performance with speed step turned off.  Not sure whats happening.  I see in cpu-z that my multiplier range is 8-40 so the cpu should hit Turbo.  I just tried running Prime95 on 1 core and even when that core is pegged at 100% utilization, the freq never goes above 3.4ghz. Something must not be set right in my Bios.  Maybe because I have all the C states enabled?  

Are you running AO?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Are you running AO?

Yes I am.  But I was using it with my previous CPU and I was able to get Turbo Boost, though I am using a new mobo .

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

If you are running Win10 you may want to run AO once or twice again.  It seems to toggle some values in multiple sequential runs.

I am running Server 2012 Essentials.  I checked the BIOS and Turbo is still enabled.  I'll do as you suggest anyway.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

17 hours ago, lmitche said:

My 6700k machine runs at 4 ghz all the time. It's locked in the high power profile and speed step is turned off. 

Larry is that a result of AO settings, manual bios or something else?  Where do you see these?  Thx

19 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Larry is that a result of AO settings, manual bios or something else?  Where do you see these?  Thx

Hi Ted, I have min and max cpu power set at 100% in the high performance power plan under powercfg.cpl.  I didn't touch the cpu bios controls except to turn spread spectrum off and set the cores to sync at 42 or 43.  I just read the AO manual and confirmed Phil does not touch these settings, although he makes recommendations to turn turbo mode off.  I think that is a mistake as dsd512 is not possible here without turbo.

I do not know, but my experience differs in this regard; I was upsampling everything to DSD 512 with my i7 6700 until last week. I started to get some sort of static clicks ONLY if I set everything to upsample to 512. Therefore, since last week I am upsampling everything to 256, while my cpu frequency is set to 2.4 (24 multiplier). I tried to change it back to 3.4, but the clicks remain. I do not do convoluation or multi- channel.

I will try to remove Process Lasso, Fidelizer, and AO, one-by-one, or try to use a Win 10 fresh install and see if any of these are causing the clicks, but until last week, upsampling everything to DSD512 with cpu at 2.4GHz.

15 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi Ted, I have min and max cpu power set at 100% in the high performance power plan under powercfg.cpl.  I didn't touch the cpu bios controls except to turn spread spectrum off and set the cores to sync at 42 or 43.  I just read the AO manual and confirmed Phil does not touch these settings, although he makes recommendations to turn turbo mode off.  I think that is a mistake as dsd512 is not possible here without turbo.

Do you ever see the CPU reach it's turbo max if 4.2ghz?  It would be interesting if you ran Prime95 on a single core to see if you are getting turbo.

Other components:

9 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I tried to change it back to 3.4, but the clicks remain. I do not do convoluation or multi- channel.

Whats the highest cpu utilization on a single core?  Have you tried turning on Multicore DSP in HQP?  I assume you are using -2s filters?  Do you ever see the cpu reach its turbo freq?

Other components:

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Whats the highest cpu utilization on a single core?  Have you tried turning on Multicore DSP in HQP?  I assume you are using -2s filters?  Do you ever see the cpu reach its turbo freq?

I see CPU utilization in PL to not to exceed 58%. If I have the CPU set at 2.4ghz, would it go to turbo, and to be honest I do not know how to check if it goes to turbo or not, it has never been a concern. I have never tried DSP in HQP. 

20 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Do you ever see the CPU reach it's turbo max if 4.2ghz?  It would be interesting if you ran Prime95 on a single core to see if you are getting turbo.

The cores are synced, so there is no difference between core speed. And no, I've never seen turbo max at 4.2.  it's steady at 4.0.

28 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I see CPU utilization in PL to not to exceed 58%. If I have the CPU set at 2.4ghz, would it go to turbo, and to be honest I do not know how to check if it goes to turbo or not, it has never been a concern. I have never tried DSP in HQP. 

Is that 58% on a single core?  If you go into Task Manager and right click on the cpu graph you can change it to display logical processors.  That will show you how much each core is being used.  Even if the total cpu utilization is 58% you may have a single core going much higher.  In my experience that causes issues.  Turning on Multicore DSP in HQP will help to even out the usage across all the cores.  Without it, i get stutters doing DSD512 with convolution.

You can use a simple program like HWMonitor to see lots of info on your cpu including temp, voltage, etc.  If the cpu goes higher than 3.4ghz you know you are using Turbo.

Other components:

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Is that 58% on a single core?  If you go into Task Manager and right click on the cpu graph you can change it to display logical processors.  That will show you how much each core is being used.  Even if the total cpu utilization is 58% you have have a single core going much higher.  In my experience that causes issues.  Turning on Multicore DSP in HQP will help to even out the usage across all the cores.  Without it, i get stutters doing DSD512 with convolution.

You can use a simple program like HWMonitor to see lots of info on your cpu including temp, voltage, etc.  If the cpu goes higher than 3.4ghz you know you are using Turbo.

PL graph shows usage of four cores, and normally they are all equally used, as Larry said they are probably synced. I try to install absolute minimum on audio pc so no cpu monitoring program on it, and never felt the need. PL gives the info you would see in Task Manager, so I just use this. Also reduced RAM from 16GB to 8GB, memory usage percentage went up, but still works.

I will spend some time this weekend to resolve my static issue, and adding memory back, replacing memory sticks, and removing PL, FL, AO, are on the list.

My issue with clicks at DSD512 could be related to a damaged cpu or MoBo. I will admit, I am using a fanless HDPlex case rated for 80-90W with this CPU rated at 65w, I thought it will be ok, but my heat sink on CPU used to really get hot when running HQP, and stayed warm when nor playing in HQP, and I might have eventually fried the MoBo or CPU, we will find out. But again no problem running JRiver or HQPlayer below DSD512. I have added external AC Infinity fan system since then for the PC and the HDplex LPS.

1 minute ago, sig8 said:

My issue with clicks at DSD512 could be related to a damaged cpu or MoBo. I will admit, I am using a fanless HDPlex case rated for 80-90W with this CPU rated at 65w, I thought it will be ok, but my heat sink on CPU used to really get hot when running HQP, and stayed warm when nor playing in HQP, and I might have eventually fried the MoBo or CPU, we will find out. But again no problem running JRiver or HQPlayer below DSD512. I have added external AC Infinity fan system since then for the PC and the HDplex LPS.

I am using a fanless with my 6700 as well, a Streamcom FC5 case rated for 65w.  At idle my cpu temps are in the low 30C.  While running HQP I get into the mid 70C.  Could be worth monitoring the temps to see whats happening.  

Other components:

Over here a Noctua NH-C14S cools the CPU. The fan barely turns and is mechanically silent. An elfidelity fan filter noticably reduced electrical noise from the fan motor. I can run with full dsd512 upsampling with the fan disconnected and temps never get above 70c, but I hear no SQ difference with the fan connected, so I leave it on.

15 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I think that did it for me, 70C is like 158F, and I say it is not good for the CPU or mobo. I think you should deploy on-board or external fans to avoid damage from get go.

Good suggestion.  I did however run this same case with an i7-3700s for over a year with no issues.  Looks like the max Tcase temp for the 6700 is 71C.  According to Intel, as long as you are below this you are fine.  I just removed the cover on the case and now my max temp is 70C.  Lets see how long this lasts!

BTW, still cant figure out why my cpu wont go into Turbo mode.

Other components:

Got an issue with Ubuntu 16.04 & HQ Player of late ...

Fire everything up & DSD256 sounds great for 1st album.  When I stop, clear contents & try to drag another album into HQ Player, it hangs up, shows a circle with a line through it & requires a hard reboot. 

I decided to update from 3.16 to 3.18 & when upgrading, it stated something about broken cache. I clicked repair & successfully completed download of 3.18. Alas, 2nd album lock-up remains w/ 3.18.

Anyone else had this problem w/ a possible fix?  Searching the web, I haven't found any solutions yet.

4 minutes ago, westside said:

Hi my dear friends,

Do you know if Hqplayer work on win server and AO and if it does which version of it (win server) ?

Thanks by advance.

Please answer me i really want to test it this week-end.

Yes, I have been using it for years on Server 2012 R2 and AO version 2.20 beta 5 and have also tested on Server 2016.  

Other components:

So I have been playing around with the Turbo Boost and Speed Step settings in my mobo Bios.  I noticed that without Speed Step, the utilization of each cpu core when running HQP is very erratic resulting in the Task Manager graph being really uneven with lots of peaks and valleys.  When I enable Speed Step, the graph becomes much smoother with overall lower utilization and thus slightly lower temps (5C difference)  which is important since I use a fanless case.  I also tried Turbo Boost without Speed Step but this resulted in higher temps and only slightly lower utilization which makes sense because when using all 4 cores the Turbo Boost frequency is 3.7ghz versus 3.4ghz base.  I didnt notice any difference in sound so in the end, I settled on Turbo Boost and Speed Step enabled.  This gave me a good combination of more consistent utilization, lower temps, and the Turbo headroom when required.  From the standpoint of cpu longevity is it right to assume that consistent utilization is better than peaks and valleys?

@Miska curious if there is any detriment to HQP using Turbo Boost and Speed Step?  Also, why is the cpu utilization running HQP so uneven with Speed Step off?

Other components:

18 hours ago, tboooe said:

curious if there is any detriment to HQP using Turbo Boost and Speed Step?  Also, why is the cpu utilization running HQP so uneven with Speed Step off?

No, nothing I'm aware of.

Graphs are not always good for comparing things, because load within graph update period is usually average load for that period. So for example for 1 second update interval, if CPU was working for 500 ms the load is 50%. Since processing happens periodically too, the graph looks depend on how these load periods match with the graph calculation periods since these are not synchronized. Slower the graph update period, more steady it should look like. But overall, same amount of processing of course takes longer at lower CPU frequency, but could also keep your temps lower and load more steady do to shorter CPU idle periods.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I am having an issue with auto rate in version 3.18. Not sure if it was like this before.
Basically, these are my settings: 

However, my player always shows Auto rate. Even the log says it is enabled but the box is unchecked:
  2017/10/08 17:08:08 Automatic output rate switching enabled

The problem is if a song in my playlist switches from 44.1 16 bit to 192 24 bit, the player cannot auto find the rate and the playlist stops.
On the other hand, if I manually set 44.1k x512 then the playlist goes seamlessly. At the moment this is only a single step I need to do, but if I forget to do it then the music stops in the case described above. 

Could this be somehow fixed, please?

2017-10-08 17_05_02-Signalyst HQPlayer 3 Desktop - registered_.jpg

2017-10-08 17_11_51-Signalyst HQPlayer 3 Desktop - registered_ .jpg

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

57 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I am having an issue with auto rate in version 3.18. Not sure if it was like this before.

However, my player always shows Auto rate. Even the log says it is enabled but the box is unchecked:

The problem is if a song in my playlist switches from 44.1 16 bit to 192 24 bit, the player cannot auto find the rate and the playlist stops.
On the other hand, if I manually set 44.1k x512 then the playlist goes seamlessly. At the moment this is only a single step I need to do, but if I forget to do it then the music stops in the case described above. 

I am having same problem.  I upsample to DSD512. With auto rate set, 48k family files typically upsample to 24Mhz (48x512) but now they wont play at all.  I have to manually set the sample rate to 44.1x512 as you describe.

10 hours ago, mirekti said:

I can see one problem in your Settings. You have set rate limit to 44.1x512. Does the rate drop-down list in main window (where you have not set "Auto") even include 48-base rates at all? If not, you naturally cannot use auto rate family for 48-base files!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers