IGNORED

HQ Player

Based on nVidia documentation, full GPU information is available on Quadro and Tesla cards intended for this kind of use. GeForce series is gaming oriented and they limit some functionality on those on purpose (to help sales of the more expensive pro cards).

Years ago I bought an nVidia GeForce card because you could double the number of cores used just by installing the proper driver.

I assume they no longer make such mistakes these days.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Wow, Miska. Don't know if anything is actually different with how the HQPlayer beta works in my system (have CUDA driver installed, pipeline SDM and CUDA offload checked, but this is with a 2009 laptop). All I know is that from the first notes, Zappa's One Size Fits All and Michael Brook and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's Night Songs are both sounding terrific.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What is the sonic benefit of closed form, given the high tradeoffs that it brings cpus to theirs knees?

Many listeners and designers prefer the sound of closed form filters. Miska is not one of them.

I can't tell you what the difference is, having listened only briefly, so I apologize for not answering your question.

Closed-form, by definition is not apodizing

That is one of those remarks where I say "oh, of course" after I hear it, but didn't think of it before. Thanks.

P.S. For some reason Metrum Musette (and maybe some other NOS R2R ladder DACs) seem to like closed-form filter. I first found out about it by listening and then also verified it with measurements.

"Some other...R2R ladder DACs" perhaps including Yggdrasil? :) (Obviously not NOS since it uses its own closed-form filter.)

Edit: Any thoughts as to why the combination of closed form filtering and no SDM seems to work?

Okay this seems strange, I just downloaded the beta version of HQplayer and when I opened the dmg file it did not "install" to my applications folder. Actually I was never asked where do I want to install, it just opened. When I close out of it, HQ player, I have to go back to my downloads folder to reopen as it is not in my applications folder. Never had that happen before with a downloaded program. At work now so I cannot see if I can get music to play roon-HQplayer for my 30 minute timeframe. Weird.

That's the way it is - Miska doesn't figure you need a hint to open the dmg file and drag the app to your Applications folder.

• 2 weeks later...
Does HQ Player allow for bit upsampling and therefore true lossless volume control like the recent NADs do? This would be great as volume would then be controlled on phone not a seperate remote?

No idea what "bit upsampling" is supposed to be, but the short answer re lossless volume control is yes. Lots of posts about this. You may want to sharpen up your skills on the forum's advanced search to take advantage of previous commenters' knowledge on this and other subjects. Hint: Usually, you'll want to search only in posts, and get posts rather than full threads as search results.

OK, so upon further investigation the CUDA offload is working its magic and I can now run closed form to DSD256 using an older i5 2500k coupled with a Nvidia 750ti if I directly connect a DAC to the USB. It would appear as if the wireless NAA endpoint I was using as a tester could not handle the stream. In part I think I was confused by the new CPU %s in 3.12 and how it related to clicking/dropouts. Without CUDA using 3.11, anything above 30% CPU would have issues. Now it will play clean at 40%+, but I needed to avoid the ethernet and/or wireless connection.

Do anyone have a recommendation for how I might analyze my network, and what connection throughput I would require for good operation using an NAA? Maybe I need a new router? At present I am using an antique Airport Extreme 2nd generation 802.11n. Gosh, it is at least 6, if not 8+ years old, I have gotten my money's worth! Suggestions for a good stable newer router would be welcomed as well. TYIA

Doesn't ship to the first buyers until February at the earliest, but of potential interest:

https://www.eero.com/

@4est,

Make sure that you do not have congestion on the wireless channel that you are using. I used Wifi Analyzer on my Android phone to find out which channel my router was running on and also identify the channels used by other wifi routers in my neighborhood that I was able to pickup while at home. Majority of the routers by default use channel 6 or 11 and that is what I found in my neighborhood. I changed it to channel 4 and my issues with drop out went away.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea at all.

I have little experience with HQ player . Does anyone know what the best settings might be with a IMac /MacBook Pro and Schiit Yggdrasil combo using Roon ?

See if you like any of the HQPlayer filters upsampling to 192 better than Yggy's internal filter. That's pretty much the whole decision in a nutshell.

• 1 month later...
Hi Miska.

Just standard Lossless files: ALAC mainly, few FLAC, few AIFF, even some MP3. Tried one of everything, in folders, out of folders, you name it.

D.

I believe HQPlayer doesn't play ALAC - hope Miska will correct me if I'm wrong. AIFF and FLAC should not be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
It's now been a few months since purchasing HQP. Having followed this thread for that time, I'm still confused about how HQP manages to improve the sound. I understand, basically, how digital audio works, but the following paragraph from the Signalyst website still confuses me:

I have, at least, two questions about this paragraph:

1. In what way are the better Delta Sigma DACs "hardware implementations more or less resource constrained". For example, how is a W4S DAC-2-se DSD hardware resource constrained? (I am assuming this does not simply refer to the differences between 1 bit delta sigma DACs vs. true multi bit DACs like the Schiit Yggdrasil).

After HQP has worked it's software magic on a digital FLAC file, the output is fed to the DAC and converted to an analoge signal then fed to an amplifier and finally to speakers or headphones.

2. Is this HQP "improved" digital stream passed through the DAC without any further digital manipulation, or is it passed through the "resource contrained" DAC (subject to the fixed digital manipulations within the DAC's software/firmware) so that the "improvements" made by HQP are either modified or nullified?

There's a chip inside your DAC that does sample rate interpolation and filtering in PCM, then sigma-delta modulation. The sigma-delta modulated bitstream is then converted to analog (music) with a relatively simple filter.

It's the chip's implementation of the initial interpolation and filtering and sigma-delta modulation that is resource constrained, in terms of the sophistication of the filtering and modulator algorithms it's able to run. The CPU in your computer, on which HQPlayer runs, is not so resource constrained.

When the bitstream that HQPlayer has processed is input to your DAC, the DAC chip does not do the usual interpolation, filtering and modulation to it because that has already been done by HQPlayer. All that is left, and all your DAC does, is the final conversion to analog with a relatively simple filter that is just fine for this task.

• 3 weeks later...

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's something quite elementary.

In Xubuntu 15.10, I've mounted a smb share at a directory named media in my home directory. Click on Library in HQP and browse to that directory, and all the artist and album folders within the directory are shown. However, "Add" and "Add tree" do nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
I tried to install hqplayer to xubuntu but hqplayer won't open after download. Any suggestions? Also if sudo install available ?

With no more information, no. It's working fine for me on Xubuntu.

Edit: Why not use the system tools to install?

I have not tried yet...

"menu" is one way to manage menu items in different graphical and such environments.

The new Ubuntu version doesn't need any extra hacks, it comes with native DSD support.

I intend to install 16.04 (one of the versions - could be Studio or Xubuntu or Lubuntu) in the next day or two. Low latency kernel still recommended, I assume?

Don't know if the original Geek Out I use with my Linux machine will play DSD natively - guessing it won't.

Miska, new A+ with DSD upsampling is quite impressive. Would love to see your move.

My own opinion, which no one needs to agree with, is that his "move" will be simply to continue to improve HQPlayer in ways he finds provide the best measured and subjective (to Miska) sound quality.

A+ and HQPlayer are still very different products, and there are plenty of reasons someone might pick one over the other.

Or happily use both. :)

So it won't work on Windows 7 Professional X64?

Exactly.

• 3 weeks later...
Using RAMdisk means having the stuff loaded in RAM at least twice. If it helps - good, but I don't know why... :)

Using RAMdisk increases memory pressure, so you need to have more RAM to avoid swap. I have swap disabled on my machines (except on OS X where I don't know where/how to control that).

Tried the terminal command at the top of the page here? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.system/jIWY8VRl3cw

What is 'swap'?

Disk space used to supplement RAM. Much slower than RAM, which I assume is why Miska has disabled it.

Using RAMdisk means having the stuff loaded in RAM at least twice. If it helps - good, but I don't know why... :)

Using RAMdisk increases memory pressure, so you need to have more RAM to avoid swap. I have swap disabled on my machines (except on OS X where I don't know where/how to control that).

A WAG: Does it reduce SATA I/O at all?

I'm not the most computer savvy. I have 8gb of RAM on my laptop/music server. Does anyone know how I would go about upgrading? Let's say I want 16bg total, does that mean I add 8gb, or do I need to take out the RAM that is already in there, and replace it with a 16gb?

Depends on what computer and RAM you have now.

I'll do some research. Would adding RAM help SQ with HQPlayer? Especially in conjuction with RAMDisk?

No.

Edit: Or at least Miska says using a RAMDisk doesn't help as far as he can tell. If you want to buy and install more RAM to experiment, have at it.

Any idea when will HQPlayer support beyond Ubuntu 14.04 builds?

It runs fine on 16.04 for me.

Sorry, I mean Xubuntu.

Me too.

Jud, so you mean you are using xubuntu 16 build with HQPlayer currently?

Yes.