IGNORED

HQ Player

I just did and in both cases I cannot detect any difference (I have a ES9018 based volume control).

Do you?

Many Thanks for the above

My Exasound is also ES9018 but the volume control implementation is not "standard". I am not clear how analog the implementation is, but what we did find that the system sounded better when HQP was set at 0dB and we used the Exasound's volume control, than when we had no volume control on the Exasound, and at 2 O'clock on the HQP volume control.

Seems like which volume control sounds better : HQP, DAC or Pre Amp if there is one, needs testing for each individual system

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I think MBP has a P8600 CPU, in which case it has a benchmark score of about 1,500

PassMark - Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz - Price performance comparison

P8700 in my case - the benchmark is a lofty 1,667! ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Few short steps... First check that you have "CoreAudio" selected as Backend and your DAC as Device in Preferences, for a DSD DAC you can also select "DoP" as SDM Pack.

You can then for example drag-and-drop files from Finder on the player window to add it to the playlist. Also check the volume knob position (when using external volume, I set the range to min=-6 max=0 in the Preferences and then turn the knob to -3 dBFS).

Then you can start playing. The selectors in the middle of the main window define wanted output format and how to produce it. IOW, what and how.

P.S. Notice that supported content is FLAC, WAV, AIFF, DFF and DSF...

Richard, one other thing - am I remembering correctly that the W4S is one of those DACs that likes nothing greater than 24-bit sent to it? If so, I think there is a setting in HQPlayer to account for such DACs. Don't recall the specific one as I sit here, but I'm sure someone else will.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My Core 2 Duo MBP seemed much happier with PCM oversampling than it was when oversampling from PCM to DSD. No dropouts with oversampling to DSD64, though there was breakup when trying oversampling to DSD128, but even with DSD64 sound wasn't as good. I'll see whether the volume setting makes a difference.

My 2012 MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM) does not skip a beat upsampling DSD64 > DSD128 or PCM > DSD128 - CPU runs at less than 15% throughout. no drops, etc. Very nice :)

poly-sinc-short-mp DSD5v2

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I think MBP has a P8600 CPU, in which case it has a benchmark score of about 1,500

PassMark - Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz - Price performance comparison

My Item T1 has an i5 with a benchmark score of about 6,000 and can handle the polysinc-2S filter with great results

Geoff's quad core Mac Pro has a benchmark score of about 9,000 can can do the polysinc filter which my T1 can not handle

I have an i7 hexcore on order to slip into the T1, but it will need to be underclocked to keep the heat output under control

That is very helpful and timely information. I am forced to order a new mini today (my son's old G5 iMac gave up the ghost so I'm passing along my Core 2 Duo 2010 mini from my music system--as soon as I reinstall the SMPS), and I am trying to decide between perhaps a 2011 i7, a 2012 i5, or a 2012 i7 (the last would be stretching my already thin budget).

So thanks for the comparisons.

I do have a 2012 i7 on my desk for work. I could press that in for the music system--but nobody around here is going to give me a gift of a new black Mac Pro to replace it on my desk!

That is very helpful and timely information. I am forced to order a new mini today (my son's old G5 iMac gave up the ghost so I'm passing along my Core 2 Duo 2010 mini from my music system--as soon as I reinstall the SMPS), and I am trying to decide between perhaps a 2011 i7, a 2012 i5, or a 2012 i7 (the last would be stretching my already thin budget).

So thanks for the comparisons.

I do have a 2012 i7 on my desk for work. I could press that in for the music system--but nobody around here is going to give me a gift of a new black Mac Pro to replace it on my desk!

Just a general thought - My current MBP was purchased on the Apple Store Refurbished section (from the looks of the dates of what you're considering, you may already have checked there).

Richard, one other thing - am I remembering correctly that the W4S is one of those DACs that likes nothing greater than 24-bit sent to it? If so, I think there is a setting in HQPlayer to account for such DACs. Don't recall the specific one as I sit here, but I'm sure someone else will.

Hello Jud,

Thank you for your response.

Standard Dac-2 Features:

ESS Reference audio (ES9018) 32 bit DAC

W4S proprietary discrete output stages for optimum sonics

ESS Time Domain Jitter Eliminator®

Automatic oversampling for precise output filtering

Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs

Upgradable Digital, Output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)

Oversized toroidal transformer for solid and noise-free power

88,000uF of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (same as used in the STP-SE)

VFD display for input, sample rate, volume control, and configuration viewing

Remote control with features such as balance control and phase inversion

Defeatable - 32 bit volume control

HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)

2x Coax inputs

2x Toslink inputs

1x AES/EBU input

1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)

24-bit 192kHz Asynchronous USB input

Proprietary drivers for 32/64 bit Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Mac OS 10.4, 10.5 , 10.6, 10.8, 10.9 (BETA)

Factory selectable mains 115/230VAC

Compact size (8.5"W x 4.125"H x 13.5"D)

14 lbs.

Covered by a 5 YEAR WARRANTY

DAC-2 DSDse Model Adds...

Asynchronous USB input supports up to 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD64 + DSD128

Improved audio quality through USB input

USB 2.0 compliancy & ASIO 2.2 (Driverless support for Mac and Linux systems)

Galvanic isolation

Custom Vishay Z-Foil resistors (0.1% tolerance and a +/-0.5ppm/°C)

Femto Grade Clock (82 fSec phase jitter)

Ultra-low noise discrete regulators (100+ times quieter and faster than the stock regulator)

Ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes

Premium grade inductors

Rhodium plated Furutech fuse

Green OLED display for input, sample rate, volume control, and configuration viewing

I finally got HQPlayer working even before Miska's kind response. Apparently, I had my STP-SE Stage 2 preamp volume level set way too low given the default min was -60dB in the default Preferences for HQPlayer. Increasing preamp volume considerably, set my preamp volume to 49 and sound was excellent. When I changed the default from -60dB to -6dB, setting my preamp to 17 was sufficient.

DSD64 DL from Acoustic Sounds, i.e., Art Pepper's Meets The Rhythm Section sounded excellent. In fact anything I played through HQPlayer sounded excellent, allowing for production quality variations.

I bought a license for the player. I love Amarra Symphony with iRC. Now I also love HQPlayer (beta2 for Mac) as well. Price is dear but, in my opinion worth the cost, given the programs sonic performance. HQPlayer also allowed me to set the tree structure of my Music Library nearly 2900 albums (4,000+ in total) in a very short time. I merely selected an artist and when multiple titles, the title I wanted to listen. It played everything I selected PCM and DSD (natively?) as my W4S Dac-2 DSDse read DSD64.

So much more I need to learn to become familiar with the features of HQPlayer. In the meantime, I am enjoying the music.

Richard

Just a general thought - My current MBP was purchased on the Apple Store Refurbished section (from the looks of the dates of what you're considering, you may already have checked there).

Thanks Jud. Yes, I have bought "refurbished" minis (and iPods for the kids) from the Apple Store many times. The prices are usually close, equal, or better than what one can find the same machines at on eBay--and they come with a full warranty. I did once get one that had a broken RAM socket clip, but otherwise my Apple refurb experiences have been perfect.

The mini is sure due for a refresh! Expectation is that they will get the Haswell chip. I doubt they will change the form factor or much else. Anybody have any current rumors on that?

Sorry to be so off topic. I am really looking forward to comparing HQPlayer to Audirvana Plus 1.5.10--head to head on the same machine, OS, PS, etc.

Log file of full application start and playback attempt could be helpful... (over email please, it's at ~/.hqplayer/HQPlayer.log when enabled)

I just sent you my log file Jussi. I can find no setting that will get sound to come from the right channel also. With my Mytek the sound only comes out of the left channel. The result is the same regardless of whether I use a PCM file or DSD file. I hope my log file helps.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I just sent you my log file Jussi. I can find no setting that will get sound to come from the right channel also. With my Mytek the sound only comes out of the left channel. The result is the same regardless of whether I use a PCM file or DSD file. I hope my log file helps.

Seems to be same problem as Metric Halo has, now fixing it became much easier because I should be able to reproduce the problem here...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

HQPlayer Desktop for the Mac is a breath of fresh air. I so loathe JRiver's Media Center as it is akin to swatting a fly with a bazooka. HQP's interface is a somewhat raw but does the business very well. It would be interesting to have HQP's back end and Audirvana Plus's front end merge.

If you have a DSD capable DAC download/purchase HQPlayer, and if you have friends who are audio enthusiasts with DSD capable gear buy the software for them. :)

Hello Miska,

Thank you for the helpful cues in setting up my registered beta2 for Mac edition.

I seem to be having the following problem and having read the user manual and quick start guide, I do not know how to solve the following:

After opening the dmg file, I had to re-install the registered application in the Application folder or the program would open from the dmg file. Also the icon presented as a ? Mark until clicking on the ? Mark icon in the doc.

For a time my settings in Preference were saved. But now when I launch HQPlayer, device is default, the SR is 96000, DoP has to be selected, min volume defaults back from -6 to -60. In other words ny Preference settings are not saved. However the volume wheel setting of -3 DBS you recommended remains set.

I also employed the library tree function such that my music library tree loads in the upper window. I tried to save that library so I can select from it into the window below for playing tracks. Typically I play whole albums. In my case, I have to select Library if I quit the program and relaunch and wait for the tree to assemble. Is there a method for having that tree conveniently added without starting anew each time?

Will appreciate any help you can provide in response to my queries. I am enjoying the program as a new user.

Best,

Richard

Hi.

Wondering if it's possible to add crosstalk cancellation algorithm to HQ Player, as a filter?

Not sure how hard it is to implement purely in DSD/PDM domain, so if it's complex, then maybe implement

as a plugin to be separately purchased.

Long time user of this for PCM and it's working wonders with most sources, but most algorithms

are in PCM domain, so cannot use it on DSD recordings..

Using it for stereo recordings, just put the speakers very close to each other at virtually 0 angle, and find the correct sitting position, depending on speaker and room. The effect can be heard right away - the sound stage becomes enormous.

Here's some background info regarding the technique:

General info: Ambiophonics

Tech Papers: Technical Papers

One implementation: Ambiophonics 2nd Edition - Chapter 1

Thanks and keep up the good work! :)

P.S. Maybe as a side effect of this, a crossfeed for headphone-listening can be done as well? ;)

After opening the dmg file, I had to re-install the registered application in the Application folder or the program would open from the dmg file. Also the icon presented as a ? Mark until clicking on the ? Mark icon in the doc.

You should just double-click the DMG and then drop the HQPlayer application on Applications folder in Finder, select "Replace" when asked. Then unmount the DMG and start HQPlayer from the Applications folder. Icon should be always displayed correctly.

For a time my settings in Preference were saved. But now when I launch HQPlayer, device is default, the SR is 96000, DoP has to be selected, min volume defaults back from -6 to -60. In other words ny Preference settings are not saved. However the volume wheel setting of -3 DBS you recommended remains set.

Seems like there is some problem or corruption with your ~/.hqplayer directory. You can try removing or renaming it. It'll get re-created when you start HQPlayer. Just keep your original key file in safe place so you can re-install the key file when needed.

I also employed the library tree function such that my music library tree loads in the upper window. I tried to save that library so I can select from it into the window below for playing tracks. Typically I play whole albums. In my case, I have to select Library if I quit the program and relaunch and wait for the tree to assemble. Is there a method for having that tree conveniently added without starting anew each time?

It is stored in same place as the Preferences, so this indicates problem with the ~/.hqplayer directory.

You should just double-click the DMG and then drop the HQPlayer application on Applications folder in Finder, select "Replace" when asked. Then unmount the DMG and start HQPlayer from the Applications folder. Icon should be always displayed correctly.

Seems like there is some problem or corruption with your ~/.hqplayer directory. You can try removing or renaming it. It'll get re-created when you start HQPlayer. Just keep your original key file in safe place so you can re-install the key file when needed.

It is stored in same place as the Preferences, so this indicates problem with the ~/.hqplayer directory.

Miska,

Thank you for the support. Fixed the ?mark icon by clicking on the dmg file and replacing the old icon with the new generated icon.

But, where do I find in Mavericks 10.9.3 the directory file for HQPlayer you requested I rename or remove. I have looked everywhere and can not find this directory and do not know specifically where to look for it. Appreciate your help with this and apologize for being clueless about the directory's location within Mavericks.

With appreciation,

Richard

But, where do I find in Mavericks 10.9.3 the directory file for HQPlayer you requested I rename or remove. I have looked everywhere and can not find this directory and do not know specifically where to look for it. Appreciate your help with this and apologize for being clueless about the directory's location within Mavericks.

It's hidden on my Mac. You can try to remove the contents.

In Finder, from the Go menu select "Go to Folder...". Type ~/hqplayer and click Go. Remove the files in this folder.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

kennyb123

Caution! I tried that on my MAC Mini, and I would not delete all the things that came up doing that. The only thing that pertains to HQPLAYER was the .xml file that contains your setup for HQP, the other were pictures, movies, music etc. Just be careful off what you delete.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

kennyb123

Caution! I tried that on my MAC Mini, and I would not delete all the things that came up doing that. The only thing that pertains to HQPLAYER was the .xml file that contains your setup for HQP, the other were pictures, movies, music etc. Just be careful off what you delete.

In Finder, from the Go menu select "Go to Folder...". Type ~/hqplayer and click Go. Remove the files in this folder.

Thank you both for coming to my rescue. Personally, using both of your perspectives that is my reason for acknowledging my need for Miska's guidance. For what would serve me to blindly change what I have no frame of reference. If I am the only "idiot" who corrupted the directory, I regard Miska's intervention as a service to all of us who need to correct a problem we either created inadvertently or through some machination that was whispered in our ears by another software designer. ? So much for hyperbole meant more for fun than serious comment.

I just need Miska to help me get my valued HQPlayer operating correctly whether I am a brilliant user or a clueless user who needs the same instructions one would give a six year old. Asking for help respectfully is a function of correction responsibly requested that benefits the membership at CA. Whatever I did, unknowingly, does not detract from HQPLayer which I purchase for obvious reasons. I just need to get it aligned with how it is supposed to operate despite anything I may have done unintentionally.

Miska, please help me align HQPlayer to function as designed. I need your help and so not wish to make matters worse.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

kennyb123

Note that Jussi suggested removing or renaming the entire folder. I inferred from this that there is nothing worth saving in there, and that this folder would get recreated on the next launch of HQPlayer. I wouldn't have expect photos, movies, and music located inside this hidden hqplayer folder. How did these end up in your hqplayer folder?

Good idea though to suggest deleting only HQPlayer.xml.

Note that the directory name begins with dot so it's "~/.hqplayer". On Unix systems directory and file names beginning with dot are hidden by default and this is used for various system files to avoid polluting normal views with unnecessary information. "~" denotes user's home directory.

This directory contains at most three files. One way to do it is to open terminal and use for example command "mv .hqplayer .hqplayer.old" to rename the folder and it will be re-created when HQPlayer is started next time.

There are two possible reasons for the problem. Either permissions of the directory are wrong for some reason, or the settings file is corrupted for some reason. Settings file (including library data) can be backed up and restored using the Export/Import functions of the File menu.

Damn a typo. It should be ~/.hqplayer