IGNORED

HQ Player

...may well be able to do some auto rate with non-2s filters.

I am able to get DSD128 with xtr-mp filter (non-2s), the CPU is around 20, 25% so I wondered how much more CPU power will 512 need.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

What version of HQP do you have? those XTR filters on 3.15 are resource hogs, I installed 3.15.1b2 and the non 2s XTR stutter even tho my CPU is mid 20's and cores do not appear to be overloaded. Tonight I will try 3.16 which should solve the XTR issue. I think Miska states for each double of upsample the CPU load doubles, My experience does not seem to mirror that, DSd256>DSD512 does not double my CPU usage. So 3.16 may lower the CPU usage of the XTR filters from what you have and at least the 2S would work regardless. I run a i7-6700k.

I am able to get DSD128 with xtr-mp filter (non-2s), the CPU is around 20, 25% so I wondered how much more CPU power will 512 need.

I installed 3.16 earlier today, and had to revert back to 3.15.1.

With 3.16 and Roon, I cannot fast forward to another track without HQP failing and needing to be restarted. In 3.15.1, I can jump from Roon track to Roon track as many times as I'd like with no problem. From 3.14 thru 3.15, I can get by track jumping thru a few tracks (maybe 5, 6, or 7 tracks) before HQP fails on me.

Anyone know what's going on here? I wish 3.16 worked like 3.15.1. I was happy to see the stability in 3.15.1, and now it's gone again.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

Several questions on uninstalling an old version and installing a new version of Hqp. Does anybody know which files in theHqp folder are never updated and which are with a new version? I think after I installed 3.16 some older files were not updated. Why can't I just delete the old Hqp folder rather than uninstall? I realize somewhere in the folder settings are saved but what else remains constant? Where are the filters saved for example? I can see that hqplayer.exe is a 3/16/2017 version so that is okay but what els needs an update in the folder?

No luck with HQPlayer on windows 10 computer.Every so often Hqplayer quits working.Wont work on its own or with Roon.Only way I can get it to work again is to do clean install of windows.This time it only worked for a week .This computer is only used with HQplayer and Roon server to a nuc with naa hooked to a dac.Working fine last night..Tried today no go .No changes were made ? Past frustrated

Outlaw I don't have a clue what to tell you, It can't be the windows PC to many folks have no issues with this set up, I'd take the nuc out and try with naa only or take both nuc and naa out and go direct to dac. Issue has to be outside of windows PC.

Have tried taking nuc out with naa.Still no go.When Hqplayer won't work the play button is greyed out while the pause button flashes and when I try to do something it says Hqplayer not responding.Like I said never make any changes.Used last night turned on today it doesn't work.No problems with Roon.

Well if you have removed the nuc and the naa and the problem still existed then the next logical thing is the driver, it has to talk to the dac and HQP. Something between it and HQP don't play nice. Another dac/driver combo would be good to try. Do log files show any thing unusual? or does HQP just stop. I feel your pain.

It never stops when using.What happens turn computer off after using HQplayer and Roon .Then say next day I turn computer back on Hqplayer won't work.

What are you preferences set at? a screen shot would help. Could you have a some default filter combination set that is not compatible with your Dac? Since you say this happens on startup seems that this could be an issue. I am on a mac but the only time I get your symptoms is when I set filter combinations that need auto rate family selected.

I am using i7-7700 CPU and currently own a DAC which can only go do DSD128.

Is there a way I could test whether this CPU is strong enough to do upsampling to DSD512 without actually having DAC which supports it?

At the moment I only see in the options values up to those supported by the DAC.

Just a few info for you

I7-6700 - Windows Server 2016

HQPlayer 3.14.4 + Convolution + poly-sinc-short-mp - ASDM7 + Autorate family

44.1 ---> DSD256 = 18%

96 -----> DSD256 = 20%

192 ----> DSD256 = 22%

44.1 ---> DSD512 = 36%

96 -----> DSD512 = 38%

192 ----> DSD512 = 40%

So really no problem with an I7-7700!

Maggio

Just a few info for you

I7-6700 - Windows Server 2016

HQPlayer 3.14.4 + Convolution + poly-sinc-short-mp - ASDM7

44.1 ---> DSD256 = 18%

96 -----> DSD256 = 20%

192 ----> DSD256 = 22%

44.1 ---> DSD512 = 36%

96 -----> DSD512 = 38%

192 ----> DSD512 = 40%

So really no problem with an I7-7700!

Maggio

Would you mind giving us the figures without auto rate family checked and max rate at 512 48x?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I have tested this some time ago, always with i7-6700 in Linux (CPU governor set to performance, realtime kernel, convolution enabled)

24/192 PCM --> DSD256 19%

24/192 PCM --> DSD512 37%

DSD64 --> DSD512 30%

DSD64 --> DSD512 33%

The values are approximate, and obtained with pipeline enabled and poly-sinc-short-mp

With minringFIR the values are much lower. Ex. 24/192 PCM --> DSD512 27%

i7-6700 is not enough for closed-form filter. For better results I suggest the version of processor with K, that is i7-6700K etc.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

It never stops when using.What happens turn computer off after using HQplayer and Roon .Then say next day I turn computer back on Hqplayer won't work.

Are you doing a complete Windows re-install from scratch? That must take a few hours once updates are applied! If you are using a backup image you might be 're-installing' your problem though.

I'd suggest first enable HQPlayer logging and send to miska by e-mail. And I'd definitely try another DAC even if it's something low spec so you can determine you have a stable PC system for a few days.

Also have you checked you have all the latest drivers/BIOS/Windows updates and they're permanent (Windows update no fails, repeated installs, Device Manager no issues)? I had a weird motherboard problem with GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming. The BIOS would updated successfully using their App BIOS tool (Windows) and reboot with the new version. However once left overnight the BIOS reverted to previous on reboot. Once I installed the BIOS using QFlash BIOS updater it was permanently retained.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

Hi,

I have been using HQPlayer for a few months. I am currently running it together with Roon on a MacMini Late 2014 with i7 processor. My setup is MacMini -> SOtM sMS-200 -> Mutec MC3+ USB -> Devialet D900. HQPlayer is used to upsample eveything in 24/192. I am very happy so far.

I have read very enthusiastic reports of users upsampling to DSD 512. Having said that, Miska often pointed out the fact that upsampling from Redbook, the first step (I guess from 44.1kHz to 88.2 or 96kHz) was the most audible. So my first question to the community here would be: is there a real upside to buy a T+A DAC in order to be able to upsample from PCM 24/192 to DSD 512 ?

If the answer to this first question is positive, I understand that the T+A DAC does only support Windows as an NAA renderer. Miska has given the reference of the machine he is using in this field.

Remains the server with many interesting comments in this thread about the ideal dimension of the processor.

It has recently been writen that i7-6700K was requested ie TDM = 91W. Which brings me to the second question. Considering all what has been written on the topics of the importance of removing noise and using very low noise and low impedance LPSU in other threads, how important is this to the QS when building a server running HQPlayer ?

Do we absolutely need to go fanless, and have the best of breed LPSU on the server too, or is the quality of LPSU most important for the NAA renderer only ?

Finally, is there a difference in SQ when the server is running Windows vs Linux ?

Thanks in advance :)

9 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

My setup is MacMini -> SOtM sMS-200 -> Mutec MC3+ USB -> Devialet D900. HQPlayer is used to upsample eveything in 24/192. I am very happy so far.

I have read very enthusiastic reports of users upsampling to DSD 512. Having said that, Miska often pointed out the fact that upsampling from Redbook, the first step (I guess from 44.1kHz to 88.2 or 96kHz) was the most audible. So my first question to the community here would be: is there a real upside to buy a T+A DAC in order to be able to upsample from PCM 24/192 to DSD 512 ?

The higher sample rate you can go with HQPlayer, the greater benefit you can gain. HQPlayer does upsampling in one tap and that's valid also for 44.1k (or any other PCM) to DSD512 (or any other DSD rate).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
18 minutes ago, bogi said:

The higher sample rate you can go with HQPlayer, the greater benefit you can gain. HQPlayer does upsampling in one tap and that's valid also for 44.1k (or any other PCM) to DSD512 (or any other DSD rate).

Thanks bogi.

I understand that HQPlayer is upsampling in one tap. My question was probably not well formulated. I meant: if upsampling from 16/44 to DSD 512 is a 100 segment, how big are the 16/44 to 24/192 resp. 24/192 to DSD512 sub-segments ?

Are we talking 50/50, which would mean to I am contemplating a further considerable improvement compared to what I have, or 80/20 or even 95/5 in which last case I should not consider this further investment.

35 minutes ago, SwissBear said:

I have been using HQPlayer for a few months. I am currently running it together with Roon on a MacMini Late 2014 with i7 processor. My setup is MacMini -> SOtM sMS-200 -> Mutec MC3+ USB -> Devialet D900. HQPlayer is used to upsample eveything in 24/192. I am very happy so far.

My take is no, not because of PCM 24/192 vs DSD 512 but because you're using Devialet D900. Even if you're to get the T+A DAC and play DSD512, the analog signal from the T+A would be sent to the Devialet and my understanding is that the analog signal would be converted back to 24/192 by Devialet's ADC and then reconverted back by its DAC for playback. I maybe mistaken on this point. But if I'm right, you're really getting no benefits from the DSD512. Definitely something worth checking out before diving into T+A. Obviously if you're going to replace the Devialet with a different amp to pair with the T+A, that's a different story and then it might be worthwhile. 

16 minutes ago, ecwl said:

My take is no, not because of PCM 24/192 vs DSD 512 but because you're using Devialet D900. Even if you're to get the T+A DAC and play DSD512, the analog signal from the T+A would be sent to the Devialet and my understanding is that the analog signal would be converted back to 24/192 by Devialet's ADC and then reconverted back by its DAC for playback. I maybe mistaken on this point. But if I'm right, you're really getting no benefits from the DSD512. Definitely something worth checking out before diving into T+A. Obviously if you're going to replace the Devialet with a different amp to pair with the T+A, that's a different story and then it might be worthwhile. 

Thank you ecwl.

You have a good point here. This is the way the Devialet is handling the signal.

Having said that, some users of Devialet have invested in other DACs, totaldac for instance, and reported positive impressions. But these were PCM 24/192 DACs and not DSD ones. Not sure is this is very different as the DAC is producing an analog signal. Thanks anyway.