IGNORED

HQ Player

Stuttering wise I didn't find any disadvantage in using NAA via LAN cable.

But why not to try the difference ...

It was the same for me as you, bogi (behavior on the host computer alone was the same as behavior with NAA). But for some people there has been a difference (something in the connection with the NAA), so as you say, why not try it?

Edit: I see Marcin is running direct anyway.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It was the same for me as you, bogi (behavior on the host computer alone was the same as behavior with NAA). But for some people there has been a difference (something in the connection with the NAA), so as you say, why not try it?

Yes, I read about some troubles in the case of WiFi and high samplerates. I don't know if these troubles can be related also to LAN cable connection.

I'm on max. 6.1M DSD128 and my Win10 NAA running on Z83II Mini PC functions smoothly. I'm using direct connection (without any DHCP/router) via LAN cable with autoconfigured IPv6 addresses. I did't need to configure anything network related and HQPlayer on my notebook sees NAA via IPv6.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Hi Larry. No worries. Yes 44k x512 is no problem for 6700k with autorate on and off. But we struggle here with 48k x512. Max 6700k can get that with autorate off is 192k files and it's on the very edge. That's why I need a feedback from someone that got already 7700k and can confirm that extra 200mhz will make our problem dissapear.

I don't think the extra 200 MHz makes any notable difference. Anyway here are my load figures for 7700K, the motherboard is the same Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH and RAM is now Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400. Playing to the T+A DAC8 DSD Windows-based NAA (over IPv6). CUDA offload disabled for this test.

load-xtr2s.png

load-dsd.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I don't think the extra 200 MHz makes any notable difference. Anyway here are my load figures for 7700K, the motherboard is the same Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH and RAM is now Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400. Playing to the T+A DAC8 DSD Windows-based NAA (over IPv6). CUDA offload disabled for this test.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33642[/ATTACH]

That looks a little better. But I see you overclocked your processor +200 from stock value. On what voltage you have that? I keep 6700k on 1.1V.

That looks a little better. But I see you overclocked your processor +200 from stock value. On what voltage you have that? I keep 6700k on 1.1V.

No it is not overclocked, it has just gone a bit TurboBoost which by standard goes up to 4.5 GHz. Possible turbo speed depends on core loads, maximum boost can be achieved only on single core, with lower turbo points with two and three cores. Practically all BIOS settings apart from fan adjustments are according to "load optimal defaults" settings.

See:

http://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

Guys, is it normal for the CPU usage to be much higher upsampling from DSD to DSD256 than from PCM? When converting to DSD256 from PCM my CPU usage is about 30%. But when I try to convert to DSD256 from DSD64 or 128, my CPU goes to 90%. If I turn on pipeline the CPU goes to 97% . I am using the -2 variant of poly sinc short mp.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

UPDATE - I upgraded to HQP version 3.15.1. Now when I convert from DSD to DSD256 my CPU is at 57% instead of 90%. Not sure what changed but I am pleased.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I know this no news for most people who are familiar with HQP but I just wanted to say that Pipeline SDM works very well. When converting any DSD rate (64, 128) to DSD256 I was getting a lot stuttering. This really perplexed me because my CPU usage was only at 56% and I didnt have any issues converting PCM to DSD256. I tried changing the buffer settings of the USB driver but nothing worked. Then by the magic of Google search I came across an old post by Miska that reminded me to not only look at the overall CPU usage but also the usage of each core. If 1 or more cores have utilization over 90% stuttering could occur. Sure enough I had this issue. The CPU usage for me without Pipeline SDM turned on was:

1: 90%

2: 70%

3: 50%

4: 20%

Avg: 56%

After turning on Pipeline SDM

1: 70%

2: 80%

3: 70%

4: 80%

Avg: 75%

Strangely, converting to DSD512 only increased my avg CPU uage by 5% to 80%. Looks like I will be upgrading to that newe Ryzen 1700 CPU!!!! @Miska that CPU should have no issues with DSD512 correct?

Other components:

Hi Jussi

I'm using the latest bits with the new poly-sinc-xtr-2s and am loving it. But I have a Q. When playing redbook, the system up samples to DSD128. When playing FLAC 96k 24 bit, Roon reports instead DSD64x48. What gives? Just curious - still sounds fab.

Thx

N

I'm using the latest bits with the new poly-sinc-xtr-2s and am loving it. But I have a Q. When playing redbook, the system up samples to DSD128. When playing FLAC 96k 24 bit, Roon reports instead DSD64x48. What gives? Just curious - still sounds fab.

What is your DSD rate limit setting in HQPlayer Settings-dialog? You probably want to set it to "48k x128" if your DAC supports that. Or alternatively not use auto rate family and stick to "44.1k x128" rate.

HQPlayer main window reports the output rate after the source format information.

How does HQPlayer handle 8 core processors like AMD Ryzen in lieu of GPU offloading? Does it utilize the extra cores effectively?

Yes and no, depending on your configuration. So there's no simple answer...

It is possible to still increase the core usage for certain cases, but so far it has been pretty good with current CPUs.

So I followed your suggestion, Jussi, and selected 48k x128. Now, when I play redbook, Roon reports DSD128x48 whereas before it was reporting DSD128. What does the additional x48 mean?

It means that conversion is done to 48k x128 = 6.144 MHz. The other alternative is 44.1k x128 = 5.6448 MHz.

The "Auto rate family" settings defines whether HQPlayer conversion happens within the source's base rate or always to the set maximum.

So I followed your suggestion, Jussi, and selected 48k x128. Now, when I play redbook, Roon reports DSD128x48 whereas before it was reporting DSD128. What does the additional x48 mean?

Thx

odd, when I check the signal path in Roon I see DSD256 not DSD256*44.1. I am using HQP version 3.15.1

Other components: