IGNORED

HQ Player

With 3.15.1 things should be fairly fast. It can sometimes take lengthy time, but not forever...

I tried 3.15.1 with xtr filters yesterday.

On my i5 4300M with DSD128 capable DAC I could use the non 2s xtr filters for DSD upsampling to 6.1M or for 44.1k to 5.6M.

For 44.1k to 6.1M I could use the 2s versions.

Subjectively I perceived higher sound quality of 44.1k to 6.1M with the 2s version than 44.1k to 5.6M with the non 2s version.

Previously, with the non xtr poly-sinc filters, I rather preferred the non 2s versions to 5.6M.

Miska, what about quality of xtr filters vs. initialization time?

I mean comparison between 3.15.0 and 3.15.1

Does lowering initialization time mean also lowering the filter quality?

Or the quality remained but initialization times shortened?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Miska, what about quality of xtr filters vs. initialization time?

I mean comparison between 3.15.0 and 3.15.1

Does lowering initialization time mean also lowering the filter quality?

Or the quality remained but initialization times shortened?

It is same technical quality, but slightly different design. I changed the design so that it would be faster to initialize - less computations.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Facts about 3.15.1 :

Convolving with 20/20K correction, using my favorite (still uncommented by Miska) engine, the heavier SAVE, upsampling to 128 on a MBPr mid 2012 (i7 3615 QM),

Can't use at all the non 2S xtr,

I can check off CUDA and have xtr 2s (/ASDM7) as a common setting for all PCM files, from 44.1 to 192. CUDA offload triggers stuttering so is no help to the CPU struggling at 40%+ with 192 files. Nevertheless it works just fine and actually I have just described my new settings.

I can let CUDA unchecked for DSD files as well (still convolving and upsampling to 128) and everything works fine with a CPU load down to 40%+ from stuttering 100% (when CUDA less)

Thanks, nice

Subjective comments:

hmm, maybe I got mad with all that complexity. XTR education would bring me back to poly sinc simplex (from shrt mp) if there was no XTR. When I reached exhaustion I settled for non mp 2S xtr. Not sure it makes sense in theory but it yields the extreme achievement of the closed form/XTR route : deblurring, amazing studio details (ie vocals' echoes)

frequency domain champion, xtr, might be a better match when convolving

as a foot note, I'm back to default ASIO buffer size of 2048 after some fun (more air & details (or delusion) ) at 1024 samples

Comments still welcome, kudos anyway

It is same technical quality, but slightly different design. I changed the design so that it would be faster to initialize - less computations.

Thanks, nice solution!

I mean the xtr filters bring the best sound I ever heard!

Other my improvement is I'm using Win10 NAA now.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Can't use at all the non 2S xtr,

I can check off CUDA and have xtr 2s (/ASDM7) as a common setting for all PCM files, from 44.1 to 192. CUDA offload triggers stuttering so is no help to the CPU struggling at 40%+ with 192 files. Nevertheless it works just fine and actually I have just described my new settings.

I can let CUDA unchecked for DSD files as well (still convolving and upsampling to 128) and everything works fine with a CPU load down to 40%+ from stuttering 100% (when CUDA less)

Do you have Pipeline SDM enabled when using CUDA? With CUDA, the Pipeline SDM should be always enabled, although I don't enforce it.

My GTX1080 can do non-2s xtr at least to DSD256, at that point the GPU load is around 60% and CPU load around 10% (6950X).

thank you but i don't plan to buy that kind of machine any time soon !

Yes pipeline is always enabled

Does the theory really say that add convo engine should be as good as save ?

Do you have Pipeline SDM enabled when using CUDA? With CUDA, the Pipeline SDM should be always enabled, although I don't enforce it.

My GTX1080 can do non-2s xtr at least to DSD256, at that point the GPU load is around 60% and CPU load around 10% (6950X).

Please allow me to copy a post by someone else on the JPLAY forum, which also describes my issue with HQP and JPLAY:

"Hi everybody, it seems that the issue with HQ player and jplay is still unsolved for any version above the 313. In my case HQP stand alone works just fine either with ws2012 and ws2016, GUI or core. It crashes only when the driver option is set on jplay. Any hope that in the near future this will be solved? HQP 3150 has new and very interesting features and it would be great to combine it with jplay. It is too bad that one has either to downgrade to older versions of HQP (and loose interesting features) or to abandon jplay (and lose other interesting features)."

Anyone knows what causes this?

audio system

Run Hqplayer with Roon.When using HQplayer with Roon everything works fairly well.When I try Hqplayer on it own have a few issues.Song order is all over the place.When I try to play DSD without upsampling time counter doesn't work and Hqplayer becomes unresponsive.Running latest HQplayer 3.15.1.

Run Hqplayer with Roon.When using HQplayer with Roon everything works fairly well.When I try Hqplayer on it own have a few issues.Song order is all over the place.

How do you load tracks to HQPlayer? When you load albums, track number metadata is used when available otherwise tracks are ordered based on file name.

For playlist mode, things are in the order they are added to the playlist.

When I try to play DSD without upsampling time counter doesn't work and Hqplayer becomes unresponsive.Running latest HQplayer 3.15.1.

Where is your content located? Main difference between Roon and HQPlayer standalone is how the content is delivered. Everything else is the same.

How do you load tracks to HQPlayer? When you load albums, track number metadata is used when available otherwise tracks are ordered based on file name.

Use the main window of Hqplayer.When I select a album,then when I display all songs on that album selected songs are all out of order.Say a album has 5 songs it should list in order 1,2 and so on.In HQplayer the order will look something like 5,3,1,3 ,2

For playlist mode, things are in the order they are added to the playlist.

Where is your content located? Main difference between Roon and HQPlayer standalone is how the content is delivered. Everything else is the same.

Music on a external ssd drive

I am undertaking to rebuild my 2.0 audio system. I have recently added Peachtree Nova300 which supports DSD-512 from what I can ascertain. I have also added an sMS-200 NAA into the chain, which added significant quality and depth to the sound.

I am now focused on the next portions of the rebuild looking at HQplayer & Roon. All of my media is stored on a QNAP TS251+. I have an older HTPC, which I am going to repurpose for another area of the home. I have been looking at the Kaby Lake NUC's for the new HTPC, but after reading this thread I am concerned that the NUC will have insufficient resources and horsepower to upsample to DSD512.

Some questions that are occurring to me:

- Can someone respond or direct me to a resource(s) to educate myself such that I can make informed decisions on the following?

- Audio files are FLAC, most are 16/44 with quite a few 24/96 in their native form. Is it preferred to store files in FLAC or uncompressed WAV on the NAS drive? Transcoding is a labor intensive process, I would bet it adds a lot of system related noise as well. Is there a definitive answer on this?

- I gather from reading this thread that the Kaby Lake i7 NUC (essentially a 2 core ultrabook vs of the i7 - Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH) will have insufficient processing power to upsample my files to DSD512 efficiently? What is the nominal recommended system to achieve this?

- As I mentioned above, I added an sMS-200 into the mix. In the (NAS>HTPC>sMS-200>DAC) configuration, what if anything is running / being processed on the sMS-200? I am assuming not much and that Roon & HQplayer are served by the HTPC?

Thanks!

I just got 6700k. And checking it's limits. I hit the wall with dsd64 ---> 48k x512. Maybe someone have 7700k and can confirm that this will work?

Hi, not sure why you hit a wall at DSD64. I have used 6700K in both a purpose built PC and in Sound Galleries SGM and have never had any problem with any sample rates or filters. IMHO it is not the 6700K but something else.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Hi, not sure why you hit a wall at DSD64. I have used 6700K in both a purpose built PC and in Sound Galleries SGM and have never had any problem with any sample rates or filters. IMHO it is not the 6700K but something else.

Are you sure that you did 48k x512? 44k x512 is not an issue.

Marcin I've been running HQplayer on a 6700k without a graphics card for over a year upsampling to DSD512. Upsampling DSD64 through DSD256 and 44.1k through 384k PCM always works with no stuttering. I use poly sinc short mp and the admds7 512 +FS filters with no issue. I haven't tried the xtr setting as of yet.

You must have something else going on.

What DAC are you using?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Marcin I've been running HQplayer on a 6700k without a graphics card for over a year upsampling to DSD512. Upsampling DSD64 through DSD256 and 44.1k through 384k PCM always works with no stuttering. I use poly sinc short mp and the admds7 512 +FS filters with no issue. I haven't tried the xtr setting as of yet.

You must have something else going on.

What DAC are you using?

Without auto rate family checked? That is what Marcin is trying to do? My 6700k won't do that without stuttering, even with CUDA offload to GTX 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile