IGNORED

HQ Player

The addition of CUDA offloading should also be considered, albeit the total cost rising dramatically (i n Europe at least).

The amount of extra computing power CUDA adds is cheap in terms of €/GFLOPS. Especially with the new Pascal-generation where 64-bit floating point performance is dramatically improved. Performance is more limited to certain workload types though. So it doesn't help on everything.

Maybe HQPlayer has more power-hungry filters than Daphile, but I won't know untill I test it...

It is not just the filters, but the modulator and other computation too. Computation load split between filter and modulator is roughly 50/50 in HQPlayer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Miska, can you please answer my post #5213.

TIA.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Miska, can you please answer my post #5213.

I usually don't want to comment much about how particular piece of hardware performs. There are so many variables and so many different OS and other combinations. Best answer I have is that you can try and see how far you get. It is very hard to estimate how particular machine performs.

Based on my experience I'd recommend bare minimum Haswell-generation 3.2 GHz quad-core for stereo DSD512. YMMV...

I usually don't want to comment much about how particular piece of hardware performs. There are so many variables and so many different OS and other combinations. Best answer I have is that you can try and see how far you get. It is very hard to estimate how particular machine performs.

Based on my experience I'd recommend bare minimum Haswell-generation 3.2 GHz quad-core for stereo DSD512. YMMV...

Miska, thanks. I realize that is a tough question but even your thoughts are better then none.

OK, lets go another route.

1) Your thoughts on the BEST choice (performance and sound wise) for up-sampling all rates to DSD512. Processor? MB? Cuda card? Power supply?

2) Choice if fan less? Case?

Again your opinion would be appreciated.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Just built my new server. Want to make sure it all works before I buy the additional license (Moving to a PC from a Mac Mini). Largely the same build everyone else has done. I will use my Mac Mini as my NAA at first, but will move to a different NAA that will do native DSD. Thinking a CuBox for simplicity. Anyone have thoughts on that? I tried to get a RaspBerry Pi 2 I had to act as my NAA, but I cannot get it to work. For whatever reason it won't recognize my Lampizator DAC. I hope the CuBox would be plug and play (after the disc image is installed on the CuBox). Am I mistaken?

Shawn

I plan to try HQPlayer on Ubuntu 16.04 and since I'm newbie to Linux, now got my first 2 questions:

Will HQPlayer see NAA if NAA is on the other WS2012R2 machine or need I reinstall NAA on Ubuntu too?

How to get RDP to work on Ubuntu to controll HQP from Win8 or 10 device? I know the Windows procedure well but I can't reach Ubuntu desktop. The xrdp is installed and looks like running but I cannot see desktop - all is the dotted blank screen then it falls back to Windows. Are there any known issues with this and how is possible to fix?

Thanks in advance, Alex

1) Your thoughts on the BEST choice (performance and sound wise) for up-sampling all rates to DSD512. Processor? MB? Cuda card? Power supply?

I would recommend taking a look at a thread here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/design-pc-server-roon-and-hq-player-25796/

I posted info about my latest build (and later a blog post here about graphics card for CUDA).

For DSD512, I'd recommend going for i7 6700K processor like Ted did, it is more future proof. I traded some speed for less heat (35W vs 95W TDP). I will possibly switch over to 6700K later, or even more preferably if a suitable 6/8-core option arrives since my target for the particular hardware is 5.1/8-channel DSD256 upsampled output to exaSound e28.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what is the feeling about the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC as a potential HQplayer server sending to an NAA? I was hoping that mated with a powerful external CUDA graphics card that it might have the grunt to do DSD512? Any opinions? I know Miska is reccomending higher clockspeed than the 2.6ghz but I was hoping being Skylake generation quad core it may get it across the line.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what is the feeling about the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC as a potential HQplayer server sending to an NAA? I was hoping that mated with a powerful external CUDA graphics card that it might have the grunt to do DSD512? Any opinions? I know Miska is reccomending higher clockspeed than the 2.6ghz but I was hoping being Skylake generation quad core it may get it across the line.

x2...it looks very interesting.

I read that the cost can go up to $1800 with the inclusion of an external graphics card. Wouldn't it be better to build a proper desktop/server machine with around $1000-$1500? Just thinking it's a waste of money otherwise (if you want to use an external GPU)...

I read that the cost can go up to $1800 with the inclusion of an external graphics card. Wouldn't it be better to build a proper desktop/server machine with around $1000-$1500? Just thinking it's a waste of money otherwise (if you want to use an external GPU)...

Thanks, Tbh I havent really looked at it too closely yet as im still getting used to the idea that to get native DSD512 its going to require a new seperate dedicated windows/linux server. Using Apple computers, I'm used to paying through the teeth for anything powerful, so $1800 isnt beyond question if it creates a quiet and compact server that can be tucked away in my office. I'm not overly keen on building a fullsize desktop box(joys of space constrained apartment living). Being able to easily use the GPU with future TB3 Mac computers is also a bit of a drawcard. I guess we will have to wait for relevant benchmarks or someone to try it to be sure of its HQplayer performance. In the meantime i'll give the server builds from the other thread some more consideration, the NUC idea also makes putting it together no-brainer for those less computer build savvy.

What we have learnt these past months is that provided you have RF noise and CPU cooling under good control, there is actually audible sound quality benefit to higher clock speeds

This is the exact opposite of the conventional wisdom which we were sympathetic to until recently

If you don't have RF noise under good control, then faster CPU clock speeds can be sound quality negative

old story, system dependent, and YMMV ;-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

What we have learnt these past months is that provided you have RF noise and CPU cooling under good control, there is actually audible sound quality benefit to higher clock speeds

This is the exact opposite of the conventional wisdom which we were sympathetic to until recently

If you don't have RF noise under good control, then faster CPU clock speeds can be sound quality negative

old story, system dependent, and YMMV ;-)

Wow, interesting. I assume this is when using the server direct to dac and not in conjunction with a network isolated NAA?

Wow, interesting. I assume this is when using the server direct to dac and not in conjunction with a network isolated NAA?

Correct, with server connected directly to DAC.

A year ago we were deep into 2 box / NAA solutions, but as we have managed to get the HQ Player computer running with a lower and lower noise signature, we think we are now better off with a one box solution with out NAA

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Correct, with server connected directly to DAC.

A year ago we were deep into 2 box / NAA solutions, but as we have managed to get the HQ Player computer running with a lower and lower noise signature, we think we are now better off with a one box solution with out NAA

Very interesting, the plot thickens - I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks

Miska, new A+ with DSD upsampling is quite impressive. Would love to see your move.

My own opinion, which no one needs to agree with, is that his "move" will be simply to continue to improve HQPlayer in ways he finds provide the best measured and subjective (to Miska) sound quality.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My own opinion, which no one needs to agree with, is that his "move" will be simply to continue to improve HQPlayer in ways he finds provide the best measured and subjective (to Miska) sound quality.

A+ and HQPlayer are still very different products, and there are plenty of reasons someone might pick one over the other.

A+ and HQPlayer are still very different products, and there are plenty of reasons someone might pick one over the other.

Or happily use both. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Have to read up on Hackingtosh implementations to escape the limitations / straight jacket of Mac Hardware LoL

I don't think we could build a product around it, but will definitely try some time, unless of course Damian ports A+ to Windows !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Miska, new A+ with DSD upsampling is quite impressive. Would love to see your move.

Could find nothing on the web about Audirvana Plus upsampling PCM to DSD. So I downloaded the trial version, but neither could I find anything in the settings (preferences). Where can I find more info on this?

(Just interested – very happy with HQPlayer for Windows.)

audio system

Could find nothing on the web about Audirvana Plus upsampling PCM to DSD. So I downloaded the trial version, but neither could I find anything in the settings (preferences). Where can I find more info on this?

(Just interested – very happy with HQPlayer for Windows.)

Looking too far abroad ;)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-2-multi-channel-sound-5-surround-channels-and-1-lfe-low-frequency-effects-channel-pulse-code-modulation-direct-stream-digital-conversion-28428/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system