IGNORED

HQ Player

Today I was testing some options with HQPlayer embedded. I have two problems:

1) In the readme is written "Attribute: samplerateDefault output samplerate for PCM. 0 for automatic selection."

<pcm filter="9" dither="3" samplerate="0"/>
 <sdm oversampling="4" modulator="4" bitrate="0"/>

but this is not working, hqplayerd log is complaining about wrong samplerate or bitrate.

Same if auto family is enabled.

2) "If HQPlayer Desktop configuration file exists, but

~/.hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml doesn't, then the Desktop configuration file is used."

The problem here is that, at least with native non DoP, hqplayerd is always using PCM.

To be sure, I played a DSD file with HQplayer in native format, closed the application, after started hqplayerd.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Today I was testing some options with HQPlayer embedded. I have two problems:

This is config file from my listening room, used with Marantz HD-DAC1:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xml>
<output type="alsa"/>
<engine auto_family="0" cd_drive="/dev/sr0" channels="2" direct_sdm="1" fft_size="512" volume_limit="0" volume_min="-60">
	<defaults bitrate="5644800" dither="5" filter="6" modulator="6" oversampling="9" samplerate="192000"/>
	<alsa channel_offset="0" dac_bits="0" device="hw:CARD=HDDAC1,DEV=0" dualwire="0" pack_sdm="0" period_time="100"/>
	<network address="default" dac_bits="0" device="hw:0,0" dualwire="0" pack_sdm="0" period_time="0"/>
	<transport dsd_6db="1" pdm_conv="5" pdm_filt="0"/>
</engine>
<pcm filter="6" dither="5" samplerate="0"/>
<sdm oversampling="9" modulator="6" bitrate="0"/>
<mode value="sdm"/>
<title value="Listening"/>
<log enabled="1" file="/tmp/hqplayerd.log"/>
<mime>
	<type value="audio/ogg"/>
	<type value="audio/vnd.wave"/>
	<type value="audio/L24"/>
</mime>
<fixed volume="-3"/>
</xml>

HD-DAC1 for some (stupid) reason doesn't support DSD at 48k multiples, so the output rate with this configuration ends up being fixed to 5.6M.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm running HQPlayer on a Windows 10 machine and attempting to run NAA on an old Windows 7 laptop that cannot run a full version of HQP. Try as I might, I can't find any instructions to help me install and to link the NAA and the Windows HQPlayer. HQPlayer doesn't see the NAA and won't allow me to enter the NAA address. Where can I find a guide to setting up the Windows NAA? Thanks!

I'm running HQPlayer on a Windows 10 machine and attempting to run NAA on an old Windows 7 laptop that cannot run a full version of HQP. Try as I might, I can't find any instructions to help me install and to link the NAA and the Windows HQPlayer. HQPlayer doesn't see the NAA and won't allow me to enter the NAA address. Where can I find a guide to setting up the Windows NAA? Thanks!

Just install the networkaudio.exe (downloaded from Signalyst web site at the bottom of this page, Signalyst) on the NAA, run it (it opens a DOS window, keep it open) and make sure:

1) you have your DAC connected via USB

2) running networkaudio.exe

3) have the correct DAC driver on the NAA, then in HQP machine make sure the settings are Network audio and it finds your DAC driver

4) set HQP for SDM pack (none or DoP, depending on DAC and driver).

Still won't allow me to name the NAA in HQP. I have no problems running RoonBridge on the remote laptop from the same Core Server. Any hints as to what the issue is? Thanks!

If you want to do naming of Windows-basd NAA, you should do it by editing the provided .bat instead.

Also make sure you are not running Roon stuff or anything else dealing with the DAC simultaneously with the NAA.

I tried to install hqplayer to xubuntu but hqplayer won't open after download. Any suggestions? Also if sudo install available ?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

I tried to install hqplayer to xubuntu but hqplayer won't open after download. Any suggestions? Also if sudo install available ?

With no more information, no. It's working fine for me on Xubuntu.

Edit: Why not use the system tools to install?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Will try that. Thx

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Has anyone got HQPlayer working with new version of Ubuntu (16.04)?

I updated Ubuntu this morning to 16.04. THen tried to instal HQPlayer.

Firstly used the software installer (launced by double click of .deb file). This worked fine in Ubuntu 14.04. Now in 16.04, software installer doesn't work - it says that HQPlayer has non-fee components, and refuses to install. Well yes I know that HQPlayer jas non-free components and I have paid for them.

So I went to the terminal and had to brush up on command line. Something I have used since pre-Windows day (circa 1990!!). I now get an error message that "menu is a pre-condition for instalation of HQPlayer. Menu not installed". What in heck does this mean??

Finally - if I can get HQPlayer installed - can I play native DSD? I had previously installed Jussi's kernel into Ubuntu 14.04 so I could play HQPlayer into my DSD DAC (natively). I know that latest version of Debian plays native DSD, what about the new version of Ubuntu?

I updated Ubuntu this morning to 16.04. THen tried to instal HQPlayer.

Firstly used the software installer (launced by double click of .deb file). This worked fine in Ubuntu 14.04. Now in 16.04, software installer doesn't work - it says that HQPlayer has non-fee components, and refuses to install. Well yes I know that HQPlayer jas non-free components and I have paid for them.

So I went to the terminal and had to brush up on command line. Something I have used since pre-Windows day (circa 1990!!). I now get an error message that "menu is a pre-condition for instalation of HQPlayer. Menu not installed". What in heck does this mean??

Finally - if I can get HQPlayer installed - can I play native DSD? I had previously installed Jussi's kernel into Ubuntu 14.04 so I could play HQPlayer into my DSD DAC (natively). I know that latest version of Debian plays native DSD, what about the new version of Ubuntu?

Maybe you could try using "gdebi" to install HQPlayer. Just a suggestion, although the best person to answer this is Miska or someone else...

Just tried in a virtual machine.

Open a terminal in the directory where you have downloaded HQPlayer

Type

sudo dpkg -i hqplayer_3.13.3-45_amd64.deb

This will give some errors because of missing dependencies

type

sudo apt-get -f install

When finished, install HQPlayer

sudo dpkg -i hqplayer_3.13.3-45_amd64.deb

I am sure that there is a simpler graphical way in Ubuntu...

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

I am sure that there is a simpler graphical way in Ubuntu...

On Ubuntu, when you double-click the HQPlayer package, or open straight from the browser, it is opened in Ubuntu Software Center application which will automatically install all the necessary dependencies when "Install" button is clicked...

I have not tried yet...

"menu" is one way to manage menu items in different graphical and such environments.

The new Ubuntu version doesn't need any extra hacks, it comes with native DSD support.

I have kind of a strange problem that I haven't had before. I have been using HQPlayer with Windows 10 for a while and have had it working with and without Roon.

I installed the latest version of HQPlayer, (3.13) had to redo my settings and now I can't get it to work. I have a Marantz HD-DAC1 and now when I click on any music file, HQPlayer just says "Please wait" in a little box that appears to be loading something, but it never stops.

When I click on anything in HQPlayer, I get a little chime sound, but nothing works.....when I X out of the little box and click on any music file, I get the box again. I have gone in to the settings and changed it to different ones in the hope that I can get something that works, but get nothing. I normally use it with Roon upsampling 44.1 to DSD 5.6, but now HQPlayer doesn't even run by itself.

Any ideas to get me started on troubleshooting? Screenshots below.

snip 2 settings.PNG

snip 3.PNG

snip 1 wait.PNG

You seem to have log file enabled, it may tell what is going wrong when starting playback...

Well, I need to have a little more help. The log file is enabled, but I cannot seem to find it. HQPlayer was working fine until I installed the latest update. In addition, I have tried every parameter under settings to get it to play, but I still get the same error message, no matter what. I thought that you could look at the settings I put up in my first post and give me some advice, seeing that you are the developer and have the same DAC that I have.

Well, I need to have a little more help. The log file is enabled, but I cannot seem to find it.

Open Windows File Explorer and in the address bar type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer" and there you can find HQPlayer.log. This is a text file you can read on Notepad for example. You could also email it to me for inspection.

In addition, I have tried every parameter under settings to get it to play, but I still get the same error message, no matter what.

What error message?

I thought that you could look at the settings I put up in my first post and give me some advice, seeing that you are the developer and have the same DAC that I have.

I just didn't spot anything wrong there...

Has anyone successfully used a MacPro for upsampling PCM to DSD512 with HQP?

I have an older MacPro (3.1, 2008) with 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon which will upsample to DSD128 on OSX 10.11.4. With the recent addition of CUDA with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 card, it now upsamples to DSD256 reliably. I'm using a MacMini as NAA, running Win 10.

However, when I try to upsample to DSD512 (playing to a T+A DAC8 DSD) there is a steady audio stutter. I'm now considering upgrading the MacPro. I know that it would be sensible to get a new Windows server machine, but I'd prefer to stay with the Apple environment at the moment.

Miska has written that, for stereo with CUDA, 2+2 cores is probably optimal, adding an extra 2 cores for Roon, which I also use. Used MacPro5,1s (2010 or 2012), with a 6 core 3.33GHz Westmere processor are available, offering a 40 to 50% testbench speed improvement over my current machine. Does anyone have any experience with these?

With thanks,

John T

Has anyone successfully used a MacPro for upsampling PCM to DSD512 with HQP?

I have an older MacPro (3.1, 2008) with 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon which will upsample to DSD128 on OSX 10.11.4. With the recent addition of CUDA with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 card, it now upsamples to DSD256 reliably. I'm using a MacMini as NAA, running Win 10.

However, when I try to upsample to DSD512 (playing to a T+A DAC8 DSD) there is a steady audio stutter. I'm now considering upgrading the MacPro. I know that it would be sensible to get a new Windows server machine, but I'd prefer to stay with the Apple environment at the moment.

Miska has written that, for stereo with CUDA, 2+2 cores is probably optimal, adding an extra 2 cores for Roon, which I also use. Used MacPro5,1s (2010 or 2012), with a 6 core 3.33GHz Westmere processor are available, offering a 40 to 50% testbench speed improvement over my current machine. Does anyone have any experience with these?

With thanks,

John T

According to the T+A website: "MAC operating systems support DSD playback up to DSD128"

SOFTWARE / SUPPORT

According to the Users Manual:

"The DAC 8 DSD can be operated with the listed MAC operating systems without requiring the installation of a driver. Playback of DSD streams up to 5,6 / 6,1 MHz (DSD128) and PCM streams up to 384 kHz is possible with MAC operating systems."