IGNORED

HQ Player

Can I just ask, the license for HQPlayer is transferrable to other computers, in case I decide to upgrade (cpu, or windows) or is it tied onto that particular computer and I'll have to buy a new license?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

It is transferable to other computers as long as they are your property.

@Miska I am running 3.13.1beta2 and generally very happy with everything including Roon integration.

However, matrix processing does not seem to be working correctly with DSD. I know this because I am doing a true-stereo convolution using HRTFs of a reference stereo system. With PCM files the imaging as real as it gets to the real thing. But with DSD it collapses to almost mono in-your-head sound. This is true both on Mac and Windows machine, with or without Roon.

My chain is: HQP (DSD to 384K) -> Windows 10 ASIO (NAA) -> Chord Hugo TT

I am attaching the screenshots of all relevant settings:

3-2-2016 1-35-12 PM.png

3-2-2016 1-33-48 PM.png

3-2-2016 1-35-41 PM.png

3-2-2016 1-36-22 PM.png

3-2-2016 1-36-53 PM.png

Please try with 3.13.1 release...

I just tired the 3.13.1 release, still same results, i.e., collapsed image for DSD but PCM plays fine with matrix processing.

I can email you the HRTF files I use if you think that will help

I just tired the 3.13.1 release, still same results, i.e., collapsed image for DSD but PCM plays fine with matrix processing.

Both with the same DSD output format, only difference is source?

You could also try disabling convolution engine and just keep the matrix enabled with the specified filters. This simplifies the path, but you'll need to bake in the gain compensation to the mix gains...

I can email you the HRTF files I use if you think that will help

That would probably help reproducing the problem, so it would be great...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Jussi, I am getting an "error..can't open readcd.dll" or something like that. Net/net, I have 3.13.1beta and am trying to install the production version. Any ideas' I've never had HQP install issues. Thx

Both with the same DSD output format, only difference is source?

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. Matrix processing works fine when the input format is PCM but does not work correctly when input format is DSD. I did not alter the output format. It was always kept at PCM 384K (which I found worked best with Hugo TT).

This makes me think the matrix processing of DSD sources may be the issue. Normal convolution (parallel operation L->L and R->R EQ without mixing) works fine both on DSD and PCM source formats.

I will PM the HRTFs shortly.

Jussi, I am getting an "error..can't open readcd.dll" or something like that. Net/net, I have 3.13.1beta and am trying to install the production version. Any ideas' I've never had HQP install issues. Thx

Is it during the installation or when starting the player? You could try to uninstall first and check that the installation folder actually becomes empty and then trying to reinstall. This won't touch your settings. Uninstaller is in the start-menu in HQPlayer-group.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. Matrix processing works fine when the input format is PCM but does not work correctly when input format is DSD. I did not alter the output format. It was always kept at PCM 384K (which I found worked best with Hugo TT).

OK, I think I've found the problem... There are quite many combinations; PCM->PCM, DSD->PCM, PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD and all with and without matrix/convolution... I believe this is regression in 3.13 due to some changes I've made... Now I need to do some thinking how to fix it...

I will PM the HRTFs shortly.

Great, thanks!

Is it during the installation or when starting the player? You could try to uninstall first and check that the installation folder actually becomes empty and then trying to reinstall. This won't touch your settings. Uninstaller is in the start-menu in HQPlayer-group.

Rebooted machine; redownloaded...all is well. Thx

Belated thanks to zorntel for the guide! I am really enjoying the music with HQP!

I'm considering using HQ Player, but have two questions:

1) I understand that it's a player that does real-time up/down-sampling, but can it be used as an offline re-sampler so that I only have to do the re-sampling once?

2) I get the impression from the website that the interface uses the standard approach used by many players that classifies music by Artist, Performer, and Album. I don't use this approach. I listen to classical music, and use a directory-based approach in which music is listed by composer with subdirectories for each opus. Can HQ Player also use such an approach?

FWIW: I'm currently using Ubuntu Mate 15.10, and Asset UPnP with a Pioneer N-50. This works well for anything up to 24/192, but I shall be getting a DAC capable of DSD256 and DXD later in the year, so I am considering my options.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

OK, I think I've found the problem... There are quite many combinations; PCM->PCM, DSD->PCM, PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD and all with and without matrix/convolution... I believe this is regression in 3.13 due to some changes I've made... Now I need to do some thinking how to fix it...

I totally understand. While it is fun to have so many combinations available as a user, it would be a nightmare to test as a developer.

Wanting to do something about audio dropouts, so to find hqplayer.log on my macmini (mid 2011, 10.10.5), I need to turn on hidden files? If so, how do I do this & likely location of file? Thanks.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Wanting to do something about audio dropouts, so to find hqplayer.log on my macmini (mid 2011, 10.10.5), I need to turn on hidden files? If so, how do I do this & likely location of file? Thanks.

On Linux and Mac OS X, log file - called HQPlayer.log - can be found from the hidden ~/.hqplayer directory, where "~" denotes user's home directory.

How to show hidden files on Mac:

How to show hidden files in Mac OS X Finder - How to - Macworld UK

I was having audio drop outs too. I used Dr. Cleaner (which I normally avoid programs like this) to optimize RAM. It went from like 40 to 22 and HQP/Roon and A4T are both running perfectly. Worth a try.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I was having audio drop outs too. I used Dr. Cleaner (which I normally avoid programs like this) to optimize RAM. It went from like 40 to 22 and HQP/Roon and A4T are both running perfectly. Worth a try.

Is there a cache(s) etc on osx yosemite that can be emptied, before installing a 3rd party cleaner?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Is there a cache(s) etc on osx yosemite that can be emptied, before installing a 3rd party cleaner?

Yes. I run this from time to time:

El Capitan Cache Cleaner - Maintenance & Antivirus Utility for Mac OS X

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3