IGNORED

HQ Player

38 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Exactly.  I didn't feel the modest performance boost of the 7700 was worth it so I was able to get a used 6700 cpu for cheap.

Makes sense. I probably would have done the same thing if I was into building my own server. However, I bought a turnkey server that came equipped with an i7-7700.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 8:07 AM, jimdukey said:

When does one move from Newbie to Sophomore?

I have more posts than some Sophomores!

And most of mine  are Very Sophomoric...

Perhaps therein lies the explanation for not progressing beyond Newbie. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to set "Rpt" and "Remain" as defaults so they don't have to be selected each time you reboot?

• 3 weeks later...

Jussi,

Could you please describe the "new control interface methods to switch between time display modes" introduced in the latest version of HQ Player.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

It is switch between the time modes you have in HQPlayer Desktop main window. With values 0 = "Time", 1 = "Remain" and 2 = "Total Remain". So now this can be changed through hqp-control (--set-display and --get-display options).

Thank you for the prompt reply, Jussi, but I am confused. Where do I set the value to  "1"  so that "Remain" becomes the default?  I tried changing the value of the field "period_time" at the bottom of the settings.xml file to period-time="1", but when I rebooted it did not change the time mode from the default. In an abundance of caution, not knowing what that field was for, I changed its value back to "0".

8 hours ago, Miska said:

It currently always defaults to "Time" and this cannot be configured anywhere. But you can make a startup script that calls hqp-control after HQPlayer is started to change the mode.

I can look into storing this as part of the UI state store in future versions...

Edit: I first thought this was about HQPlayer Embedded, but then realized it was about Desktop...

I am sorry, Jussi, but now I am even more confused. I must be missing something, but I don't understand what is new about this feature. I have always been able to choose between "Time", "Remain", and "Total Remain" in the upper right corner of the HQPlayer interface on my desktop.

When I read your initial reply, I mistakenly thought that you were referring to a new setting in Ales' HQPDcontrol app. I emailed him to ask him if he had issued a new version of his app to incorporate this new feature. Of course, he replied that he had not and would look into how to implement it.

What is hqp-control that you refer to? I see hqp-control.exe (189KB) in the program folder for HQPlayer, but I don't know what it does and clicking on it just causes a brief flash on the screen.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

It was requested feature, now remote control applications (hqp-control and others) can change that mode remotely and get the corresponding times from HQPlayer. They can also figure out what is the currently selected mode if it gets changed. Previously this wasn't exposed through the control API.

It is a command line utility to remotely control HQPlayer and comes with HQPlayer Desktop. It is also available as source code and it is the client side reference code for HQPlayer's control API. Roon, HQPDcontrol, Alchemy, Muso and Geoff's Kodi and JRiver bindings use this control API to control HQPlayer.

Many thanks for this thorough explanation.

• 3 months later...

Jussi,

It would be greatly appreciated if you would post announcements of new releases of HQPlayer in this thread.

As I don't belong to Facebook, I (and others?) often forget to check your page there, as was the case until today with 3.25.2.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:21 PM, Miska said:

Twitter is another alternative, would that work? I would like to avoid spamming, so announcements are more like "opt-in".

I'll try to think about other methods too.

Some of us don't belong to Twitter either. :)

"Opt-in" email notifications of new HQP releases would be ideal, if it's not too much trouble. Perhaps a check box with place to enter an email address on the HQPlayer page of the Signalyst site would do the trick.

Another possibility might be to have a "Check for updates" option under Help on the HQP interface.

29 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

You can get that info here, or at the Signalyst Web site, I sent the link earlier.

It's not a secret.

I know where to find the information, but it still would be nice to be notified of new releases instead of having to visit the Signalyst site to see if there are any. It's not uncommon for software developers to do this.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:16 PM, Outlaw said:

I give up

Sorry, I haven't followed your issues, but what happens when you select -2s filters instead?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, cat6man said:

I would, except that I've found, in my system, WAV has sounded better than FLAC.............why?

I don't know if it is true, but an explanation often offered for this difference is the additional processing required to uncompress flac files. Assuming this to be the case, I don't know how much difference, if any, would be heard with uncompressed flac, an option chosen by a number of people for its superior handling and storage of metadata.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

If you don't have many albums with problems and you use HQPlayer Desktop, you can fix the problems manually in HQPlayer without touching original files. HQPlayer Desktop's Library-dialog works just like for example Excel, so you can double-click a cell, modify the content and hit enter. When you click OK button in the dialog, changes are saved. This will modify the data in library.xml without touching the music files. HQPlayer will try to preserve these modifications across library rescans etc. This is how I fix various metadata problems in my content. I have quite a lot of modifications, so I also regularly backup my library.xml using the backup-option in HQPlayer's File-menu.

Jussi:

I have been doing my editing of metadata in HQPlayer Desktop by editing the contents of the xml file in Notepad after searching for the album I am interested in. Of course, I backup the xml file before doing so. How do I use the Desktop's Library-dialog to work "just like Excel"? Perhaps I misunderstand what you have written above but,  if select "Library" from the drop down menu under File in the HQPlayer interface and double-click on any of the individual entries, nothing happens.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

I'm using the Windows version and double clicking on any field makes that field editable.

I am using the Windows 10 Pro version and that doesn't happen on my system. I am also somewhat confused by your description of double-clicking "on any field". When I select Library, I get a list of the paths of all the albums, not individual fields, e.g. M:\\CD\Blues-Jazz\Afro-Cuban All Stars\A Toda Cuba Le Gusta

4 hours ago, Miska said:

For me at least, in the Library-dialog, if I double click on any of the individual cells in the table, I get cursor in the cell and I can edit the content. If that doesn't happen for you, it is really strange...

It is strange. This is my Library-dialog, which looks different from yours. It doesn't show the same fields. M:\ is my mapped NAS drive. As mentioned previousl,  nothing happens if I double-click on the cells. Any explanation for the differences or why I can't edit the contents other than via the xml file?

Library.jpg

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes it does show same fields... My screenshot is just form Linux, so the paths are different because Unix systems (Linux and macOS) don't have concept of drive letters.

Only reason I can think of why it is not working is if UI toolkit is acting up for some reason. But why it would be - I don't know.

I intended to uninstall and reinstall HQPlayer to see if that would fix the problem. However, when I attempted to do so from Windows Control Panel, for some reason it did not complete. Windows removed "Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop 3" from the list of installed programs in Control Panel and the Start Menu but did delete either the program folder or its contents from Program Files. How can I complete the uninstall now apart from editing the Registry to remove all references to the program?

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

If those got removed, also registry entries have been removed (very likely). You can just delete the folder under Program Files. Please also check that you don't have it under both "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)". Earlier versions installed under latter folder while later ones under the former one. If you didn't always uninstall old version before installing new one, there may be left over files from older versions.

Scanning the registry with regedit, many entries for HQPlayer remained, so I was very reluctant to delete the program folder and risk screwing things up. Instead, I restored my complete Windows system from a backup which restored HQPlayer to its former state. For the time being, I am leaving well enough alone. HQPlayer works fine,  albeit without the Libarary-dialog metadata edit feature. My library's metadata is currently up to date after the many hours I have spent editing the xml file.

My only concern is the inability to update to new releases in the future if I can't uninstall the previous one. I am currently using 3.25.2.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

In recent versions of HQPlayer there are options to clean up all HQPlayer settings, library data, license key, registry settings etc, in Help-menu. But it will also delete library.xml from the default location, so if you use that make sure you have latest library.xml and license key properly backed up somewhere...

Please excuse what are probably dumb questions but I want to be sure that I do everything right.

1. I assume you are referring to the "Clear Data" item, correct?

2. Is it necessary or recommended to click on  "Remove key" as well from the Help Menu?.

3. After clearing data and opening HQPlayer again, does it request key or do I click "on Register" from Help Menu?

4. After key is entered, I would simply import library.xml and settings.xml from stored backupsto restore HQPlayer functionality, correct?.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

If you have a lot of edits to the library.xml file, like I do, it is good to retain multiple backup copies of that file. I've been storing earlier versions too, just in case.

This is excellent advice. I routinely keep three backup copies of the library.xml and settings.xml files, each stored on a different drive.

• 1 month later...

Jussi,

Last month I posted that I am unable to edit metadata by double clicking on entries in Library view. That remains the case with Desktop version 3.25.3 and my Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) setup. You previously indicated that this strange behaviour may be due to problems with the "UI Toolkit", whatever that is. Is there any way to troubleshoot that component?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, sdmarquart said:

Well, I got it working but something is still off a bit.

Here's my new HQP settings as I changed the bit rate limit to 48k x250. Now everything in Roon plays back at 768000 Hz.

HPPlayerSettings_ADI_ASIO_051919.thumb.jpg.439f5fe566c16eb0d20bdaf5c2550e51.jpg

Here's what the main HQ Player front looks like:

HPPlayerSettings_FrontUI_051819.thumb.jpg.799568e544cccb543f404cfbe386e939.jpg

Looks great with the Red knob sitting where it needs to be. But if I close down and re-open HQP I now get this:

HPPlayerSettings_BadUI_051819.thumb.jpg.e12818f1bc45af525b2a0a8d34bc87ad.jpg

This is bad since nothing works and why is the knob sitting at that level? I have to go back in to the settings and change the bit rate limit to 48k x 256 and then change it to 48k x250 and it holds the setting. But this is rather annoying since I need to shut down HQP on occasion and why does it change?

Hey, at least everything is playing but I appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Spence

The volume control should not be red. That indicates that you have volume for SDM set too high, which will result in clipping. Miska recommends that you set it to -3 or lower. From p. 3 of the HQPlayer Desktop User Manual:

Note! Overloading the delta-sigma modulator in SDM mode will cause audible noises. It is recommended to keep software volume at max -3 dB setting or lower when using PCM to SDM conversion to avoid overloading the delta-sigma modulator. Maximum modulation depth is monitored and when necessary limited to 50% as per SACD specification.

However, that does not explain why 24/96 and 24/192 won't play. Have you tried setting bit rate to 48x256 and leaving adaptive output rate unchecked?

10 hours ago, shadowlight said:

For folks who are looking for better front end for desktop and do not mind using Android as a remote control, look into HQPDControl.  The developer for the software is active on this thread.

I completely agree. I don't do streaming and therefore I can't see the justification for the cost of Roon as an interface. As a user of HQPlayer, you are not using Roon's player or its upsampling capabilities. HQPDcontrol is an Android app and, unlike Roon, it doesn't consume significant computer resources on your server. And, it's free. I actually prefer its album view to that of Roon.

3 minutes ago, sdmarquart said:

Yes. I guess that fixed it???

Don't question it. If everything is working properly now, just keep both of those setting changes. :)

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, paboccardi said:

Hi, I have a problem with Hqplayer v3 (3.25.4). After windows update (2019-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4494440)), the software does not open, and I do not see any error message. 

If you updated Windows after you installed 3.25.4, you might want to try uninstalling HQPlayer and reinstalling 3.25.4. This has worked for me in the past after a Windows Update has somehow disabled the proper operation of HQPlayer.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dc-audiogeek said:

I just installed HQPlayer Desktop 4.10 on my Mac. Tried the new modulators. They worked okay. Then tried to run older settings (Closed form 16) and crash, crash, crash. Switch to Windows and install 4.10. Try to run Closed form 16 again. Crash, crash, crash. It can't do it for some reason. Most settings fail.

Jussi, did you save a copy of HQPlayer 4.0.4 (was that the last version) somewhere?

Dunno if this old post by Jussi is still of assistance: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/498/?tab=comments#comment-894835